The Epsom salt/peroxide soak....do you have to use that much???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Beckula, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Beckula

Beckula New Member

Shirl said the recipe calls for 3 cups of the e. salt and 3 (32 ounce) bottles of Hydrogen peroxide in the bathtub...is there anyone on the board that uses LESS than that? Sadly, I can't afford using that much (LOL) and would like to know that the minimum is in order to feel any kind of pain relief. Thanks!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/21/2004]
  2. basethound

basethound New Member

hi, I don't use that much and neither does my mom we use about half of the recipe and we can tell the difference, however, my mom said it said on one of those, a diabetic needs to ask the doctor before using, mom is a diabetic and a nurse and use's the soak,I know if you have a deals or dollar store I have found epson salt at those store's, take care, Barb
  3. diva2mi

diva2mi New Member

How long do you lay in the bath for and how much water do add to the mix?
  4. Beckula

Beckula New Member

I know the e. salt isn't that expensive, but using three 32 ounce bottles is a lot, that's all I am really thinking about.
  5. adream

adream New Member

I put some epson salts (mineral salts--for achy muscles) in each bath.....not very much. I also use some bath oil for my dry skin. Oprah recommended using lavender in your bath too--that helps achy muscles and the smell is relaxing. So I put some of that in too.

Walmart sells the lavender (liquid) and oil cheap. The dollar store sells the epson salts cheap. I can't afford the amount the directions recommend--so I just use some of each.

I am very relaxed when I finish bathing.

6. I used it last night and felt wonderful, it didn't take my pain away but I didn't feel so unbearably hot afterwards like I usually do after a hot bath. It was refreshing. I plan on doing them on a reg. basis once or twice a wk.
  7. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I use about 2 cups of epsom salts. I only use the peroxide if I'm really bad off. I have to use my lavender oil. It is so relaxing. I even have a great lavender spray that I spray on my linen.

I wear a very different cologne during the day and the lavender mixes with it beautifully. I'm always getting compliments.... hey, it's better than "you stink."

Hugs,
    tigger
  8. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I use 1 bottle of Peroxide and 1 cup of Epsom salts. It helps me a lot. I have the water as warm as I can stand it and soak for 1/2 to 3/4 hour. I have a Jacuzzi and it has a heater so mine don't cool off too quick. Or maybe you could add more hot water if it cools too much. Speaking of scented oils---I can't use any of them .I have MCS so that would kill me.
    Hugs Shirley
  9. Beckula

Beckula New Member

OKAY:) Good to know everyone is different and MAYBE I don't have to use the h.p. unless I REALLY need it. Unfortunately, that's today. I feel very rundown and my legs and feet just ACHE. I work at an apartment complex (for the developmentally disabled) and on weekends, it's just me working the 4pm-midnight shift. During the week it's three of us. People with DD can be very impatient at times...so I am running around like a chicken with my head cut off!!!
  10. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Use whatever you can afford. Sometimes Wal-Mart or the Dollar stores have the 16. oz bottles 3 for $1.00. Some of the drugstores as well. So be on the look out for them.

I have also gotten the 32. ounce bottles two for a $1.00.

Be a sharp shopper :)

Shalom, Shirl

11. Beckula

Beckula New Member

OMG it does feel REALLY good! I have no idea why I've never heard of this!!! THANKS:) I don't know if it's just the hot water, as I take really hot bubble baths, but I think it did help a little. Maybe if I try more next time. I only put one cup of E. salt in and no h.p. yet. Next time I will try the full thing. My pain does come back, but now I can actually try falling asleep sooner.
  12. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am not sure where you live, but at the discount stores like Costco and Sam's Club - a 6 lb bag of Epsom Salts is $2.78. Also, Costco has 2 pks of the large bottles of Peroxide for $1.78.

I always use 3 cups (sometimes more) and definitely feel it is theraputic. I do not get the same relief from a hot bath only.

[This Message was Edited on 11/21/2004]
  13. Beckula

Beckula New Member

I don't have a membership to Sam's and there isn't either near me anyway...I will research it. We do have some dollar stores. I live in the Twin Cities (MN).