The eternal exercise issue--Callanetics, anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suze, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Suze

Suze New Member

I know most of us share the problem of needing exercise but suffering when we do it. Lately both aspects have been getting worse for me--the older I get, the more I'm aware of my need for exercise. But when I do even a little bit, it hurts so much afterward, sometimes for days (or weeks!).

A couple of weeks ago I did about 15 minutes of gentle tai chi with a reiki master. It felt okay at the time, but my shoulders are just now starting to get out of the pain that resulted.

Someone asked me about Callanetics. I'm familiar with the name, but haven't tried the movements. Apparently it hasn't been mentioned on this board in a while. Has anyone tried it?

What's working for you? Pilates, maybe? I had to stop yoga, which was a disappointment. It caused a lot of pain.

Thanks for your help!

Suze
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I did this exercise a lot years and years ago. While I believe it to be very good for a healthy person, I believe that many of the positions needed to be held would be very difficult for many with our illnesses. Getting into proper position is critical to this exercise and then one must hold that position while flexing and making small movements. Some of the positions would probably be OK.

I think Yoga or Tai Chi would be a better choice. Anything which uses slow, gentle movements which stretch and center the body are good. Some of the best exercises I have done are those I learned in physical therpay. Beginning Pilates and working out with the big ball are things which we can do more easily do. Working out with elastic bands and light free weights is also good.

Love, Mikie

3. pepper

pepper New Member

in my healthy days. That is the exercise program that Princess Diana used at one time. I figured if it was good enough for her.....

I couldn't even think of doing something like that now. You might want to look up Jeanne-in-Canada's Y-Dan suggestion. It is not too difficult and you can even do some of it sitting down if you want. And just leave out whatever is too hard for you.

Good luck.
    Pepper
  4. Suze

Suze New Member

Thanks for the tip, Pepper! I'd never heard of Y-Dan, but the info was so convincing that I ordered a DVD immediately. I'll report back...

Suze
  5. pepper

pepper New Member

I had to start it very slowly. It almost seemed ridiculous considering that I used to teach aerobics and cross-country ski - often on the same day - and on top of my very busy life. But this is a new life and 'working out' has taken on a whole new meaning!

I started by watching the DVD and getting a feel for it. Then I started by doing only two of the movements. Some days I can do most of them but when I get tired I just take a little break and watch him exercise. Then start up when I can.

Doing something is better than doing nothing and if we wear ourselves out we will feel like giving up. I think Y-Dan is a nice middle of the road approach.

I hope that you like it, Suze.
    Pepper
  6. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

It's the only thing I can handle and seems to be very adequate. If I'm having a bad day I sometimes just follow along with the breathing instead. I think just deep breathing can do worlds of good for us.

After a year of almost total bedrest and another year of very minimal activity, my doctor and I were concerned that I might have lost a lot of bone mass. So I had a DEXA scan done two weeks ago.

To our surprise, it was actually BETTER than the scan I had done when I was very active and working as a personal trainer/rehab therapist. (I'm 51 and my bones are the density of a young woman in late teens to early 20s.)

Y-Dan was the only exercise I had been doing. I also have to credit skim milk - I drink a lot of it so that gives me a good level of calcium and vitamin D.

Jan
  7. nataliedawn

nataliedawn New Member

i have tried callanetics, before i was diagnosed with FM. i wouldnt recommend anyone to it who has FM. its tiny movements short movements in parts of the body, supposed to stretch and lenghten muscles. but the way it is done, in short continuous movements, really put a lot of wear and tear on the muscles, its designed to work quicker. if normal gentle exercise is to much then callanetics will be a lot worse, i think so anyway. you could get a book from the library and see what you think!
  8. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

I am a big exercise fan, and I have had to cut back enormously since I've had FM. This was frustrating to me beyond belief because a part of me believes in exercise for curing nearly everything.

One day I got an email from the Zone people, touting the merits of ribrose for exercise recovery and for heart patients; so I started to do some research on it...couldn't find it to buy anywhere in the City and didn't want to buy it from the Zone cause I figured it would be too expensive.

Then I got some online, tried it, and sure enough, though I thought it was my imagination, I didn't have that second, third and fourth day muscle recovery problem after exercising.

Right after I got it I posted about it online and got great responses. Though I know all too well how different each of us are, you might want to try ribrose as well. Each day I find that I'm feeling a little bit better. Last night I even got the deep, deep sleep that I had been missing, and I can't help but wonder if my muscles have just not been getting the oxygen that they need to recover.

I've now been taking it for eight days and have dropped my pain pill intake from four to two a day...go figure...but that is not counting Advil. I'm too big a chicken to cut out everything. No promises...but I can exercise again and feel okay the next day, no headaches and no deep aching muscles even after I went to Billy Blanks. (two thumbs up.) Will that still work next week? I don't know.
  9. tansy

tansy New Member

When I was first ill 22 years ago I also lost a lot of weight and muscle. I was eating day and night but still looked as though I were in the last stages of starvation - serious wasting and a swollen abdomen. Gluten intolerance was the main cause, and though no longer eating gluten I remained unable to build my muscles back up whatever I did.

Yoga just caused more pain and made my spinal issues worse, a few very undemanding pilates exercises were better but I still got little reward for all the effort and pain either. Gentle PT helped with some issues but it even that never helped my muscles; the repetitive movements, no matter how gentle, just caused an exacerbation of my muscle symptoms and problems.

Then Jeanne posted about y-dan; I looked it up on the web, and decided to give it a try. By this time I was feeling stronger on my protocol and felt the time was right to try something new.

I can only do some of the y-dan movements. I am having PT for my cervical spine issues, and found combined with the PT, it was too much for my upper limbs and neck.

So since I can stand longer now, I have been using the ones I feel will strengthen my core muscles and those in my upper legs. I have to be honest and say they hurt, but it was the right kind of discomfort eg constant back ache instead of severe pain etc.

Well not only can I feel the muscles I am building up in my legs, they have become more visable too. Y-dan seems to have bypassed many of the difficulties I had with other regimes.

With y-dan a little goes a long way.

Later I hope to be able to add in the other y-dan movements, or learn more tradional tai chi to use alongside it.

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 10/22/2005]
  10. Suze

Suze New Member

Well, your posts are certainly encouraging--thanks! My Y-Dan DVD arrived yesterday. (First they sent a VHS tape, but replaced it with the DVD when I emailed them.)

I will report back when I've used it for awhile.

Suze