The Falkirk Wheel in Motion (Scotland)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Aug 5, 2007.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hey gang, remember when Paul posted the picture of the Falkirk wheel? if you go to this site you can see it in action.

Sorta like a very slow Ferris wheel.

2. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Wasn't that amazing.
    Haven't seen the Falkirk Wheel yet personally,but would love to one day.Thanks for that.
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Falkirk is where I live. I'm ashamed to say I haven't been up to see the wheel in action, went when it was first built, before it opened.

It is pretty amazing but it's a long process, so I'm told.

4. sisland

sisland New Member

Wow! that is Amazing! I've never seen anything like that before!,,,Thanks for the link!,,,S
  5. rockgor

Rosie, I looked up Falkirk on the net. I was right. The "kirk" part of the name refers to a church.

I see the town has names in 4 languages and two mottos!
    Apparently you're not too far from Paulmack.

Think I'll look on the net some more. See if I can find where my ancestors (the Raeburns) came from. Also have ancestors from Wales and Scotland and England.

6. rockgor

Well, I looked for just a few minutes. Apparently one could spend years on this subject.

Anyway I found Raeburn Fine Wines in Edinburgh: Wholesalers and Retailers.

Drop in, Paul. Tell 'em you know their relative and say I told them to give you a free glass.

Then there's Scotland's famous portrait painter from 200 years ago: Sir Henry Raeburn.

He was also from Edinburgh. Pretty smart chap. He not only had talent, he married a rich widow. That gave him funds to study abroad.

Apparently an area of the city is called Reburn place. There's a guest house there w/ the name of Six Mary's Place. I'll be over for a visit as soon as I've save up some pounds.

And a famous 20th century mountainer from Edinburgh was named Harold Andrew Raeburn.

Also Raeburn Christie Clark and Wallace, solicitors and estage agents w/ offices in several cities.

And for all you sports fans, I read that Scottish rugby dates back to 1871 when it was first played at Raeburn Place.

Hoots indeed!