"The Fibromyalgia Solution," by David Dryland, MD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pearls, Dec 28, 2007.

1. pearls

pearls New Member

I'm halfway through Dr. Dryland's book, "The Fibromyalgia Solution." Ohmygosh, phooey, nuts! I wish I lived in Washington State so I could be his patient!

This is very exciting. Dr. Dryland talks about fibromyalgia as a curable condition. He says the problem is a disruption in the brain's fight or flight responses to such things as stress, and that it is dopamine, in particular, that gets used up because we are in almost a continous state of dopamine depletion.

Dopamine is replentished when we get enough proper sleep, and therein lies the problem. We don't get that kind of sleep. During the nighttime, our nervous systems are still in a state of alert, which uses dopamine and certainly does not replentish it.

The answer lies in finding ways to get good sleep and replentish dopamine. Dr. Dryland says he also has had fibromyalgia, which is now cured, as is the fibromylagia of many of his patients.

I almost didn't buy the book, since I've read a lot of material on the subject and didn't want to just repeat what I've read before. I'm glad I bought it!

The book is not expensive. It is in paperback, and costs $14.99 at Borders.

2. kjade

kjade New Member

I bought this book when it first came out. I posted about it awhile ago. I found his book fascinating, and felt he was really on to something (at least in my case). I have been in "fight-or-flight" mode most of my life, so it makes sense that the body eventually fights back and stops working properly.

He also talks about the depletion of important chemicals needed by this ongoing stress response, and the damaging effect it has on the body. Unfortunately, he is no where near me, or I would be his patient too. This was a very good read.
  3. spmom

spmom New Member

I live in Washington state and am curious about this doc. So, what kind of dopamine does he prescribe and does he add any other treatments? Thanks for the info. I'm definately going to check into it.
  4. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

years ago when he first started practicing in Southern Oregon (he's still there).

He was very pleasant, and certainly respectful in relation to how our conditions are often perceived by the medical community.

He prescribed klonopin for me which I learned about from this board. He described fibro as basically a sleep disorder (which I believe is somewhat true but...which came first?).

I think it's commonly accepted that quality sleep is needed and dopamine and seratonin are out of whack (among many other things). I kind of doubt if he has really permanent answers to addressing those issues. I still don't think there is any medication that promotes deep restorative sleep, and balancing neurotransmitters is still hit-and-miss business, and seldom produces long-term improvements.

I would feel more comfortable if he was able to say that he enabled fibro patients to manage better and to improve various symptoms, but....cured?

I'm curious too...what did he suggest in this book to replenish dopamine?
  5. SGR

SGR New Member

I remember reading that book a few months ago. The premise and protocol struck me as related to that of the doctor who wrote "Betrayed by the Brain" which was very technical but talked about using various pharmaceuticals to rebalance the neurotransmitters - was it Dr. Goldstein? I believe Dr. Dryland is in Medford, Oregon. I have to agree about the importance of sleep and avoiding fight or flight situations. I'm getting a few more hours sleep lately - up from 4 - and it makes a huge difference in how I feel.

Cheers -

6. Pinkgirl

Pinkgirl New Member

I'm confused.

If he has found a way to level out seratonin and dopamine levels wouldn't he not only cure FM but also a huge range of psychological disorders?

Leveling out these neurotransmitters is the goal of almost every psychatric drug for depression/bi-polar disorder/ schizophrenia etc. on the market...

I would understand if he found a way to level out some secondary neurotransmitter that only affected some conditions, but darn! These are the big two... You'd think this would be HUGE news worldwide if it worked for everyone.
  7. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

and although I agree with many of the issues brought up.....I am skeptical of any person, place or thing that claims they have "the cure" for our dd!

However with that being said......I can tell you all that for years now I have included a sleep aid in my daily medication regimen....and when I get good sleep it does make a HUGE and I mean HUGE difference in how I feel.....

BUT I have also had days where I have got adequate sleep and been so sick I cannot get off of the couch all day!

So.....my opinion and that is all this is "is my opinion"....I think the sleep issue is a step in the right direction...but do I think it is the sole answer "absolutely not"!

There is an answer.....and someday we will all know it.....but right now there are far too many theories out there and until they really do find answers as to how when and why we will not have a cure or a medicaton protocol to control our dd!

I love the positive of steps in the right direction where research is concerned......but learned a long time ago not to get my hopes up too high each and every time someone claims to have "THE CURE or ANSWER"!

Thank you so much for sharing this with us .....I do find it interesting and think it could very well be a part of the big fat puzzle we are all patiently waiting to finish!

8. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

But I have owned it for quite a few weeks.I wish I only had FM and not other things too.
  9. discoverygal

discoverygal New Member

Hi Pearl,

I read his book too. It is one of the few books on fibro that I have fineshed because it actually made sense.

I have more of a sense of how to "manage" this illness. I'm glad you bought it too.
  10. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I have been on Elavil at night 10 mg and I have been sleeping deeper and longer, but now it leads to another challenge............from laying in one spot for a long time, I wake up not being able to move from the pain. What is all that about?

My dr. said myofacial pain, but in all the 20+ years I have had this disorder, I have never had so much pain as I do now.

I was on Doxepin years ago and then melatonin and didn't need a sleep aid for a long time. I do now since I have a new injury from work (my knee), but as I said now I wake up in extreme pain from sleeping so well.

I think I have this dd under control and something else pops up or like my knee, pops out.
  11. elliespad

elliespad Member

I haven't read it but can offer a couple suggestions for those wanting to boost Serotonin and Dopamine.

For Serotonin, you can take the amino acid, L-Tryptophan. Be sure to use a HIGH quality (translates to not CHEAP) brand like Craig, Bios, Lidtke, Nokomis. You MUST take this with Vit-B6 so it is converted to Serotonin in the brain not in the intestines. I happen to know I CANNOT convert B-6 to the active form, so I must take P5P. Take this at night before bed. You can take up to 500 mg. per each 50 lbs, of body weight. Take it away from other protein sources, with a little carbohydrate is best. Generally 1500 mg. is plenty. Do not take this is you are taking other Serotonin enhancing drugs.

For Dopamine, you can take the amino acid, DL-Phenylalanine. This will help your body make epinephrine, norepinephrine, tyrosine and DOPAMINE. This will help with pain, orthostatic hypotenstion, and daytime alertness and mood. Take it is the morning AWAY from other protein sources. Don't take in the afternnon or evening as it WILL keep you awake. Also, do not take take if you are taking an MAO inhibitor.
  12. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

my post about my visit several years ago with Dr. Dryland.

In fairmess, I don't want to leave the impression that his only answer was to put me on klonopin. I asked for that myself and I believe he preferred other options but he ok'd my request.

By the time I met with this doctor, I just ended up there randomly, needing a rheumy to diagnose my condition in my long quest for SSDI. At this point I had researched my condition heavily and was aware that nobody would have a magic potion.

He did mention several conventional medications that I could try, but none really seemed to fit a need of mine.

13. pearls

pearls New Member

This has been an interesting discussion. I really appreciate all the comments, suggestions and questions. To give some perspective, I've been on this board a long time, though sometimes I've taken a long vacation from it.

I also own both of Dr. Devin Starlanyl's books, which I have considered to be my "bibles" for fibromylagia and chronc myofascial syndrome. I own Dr. Tietelbaum's, "From Fatigued to Fantistic." In addition, I own many fine books on health and nutrition. I've read Dr. Armand's book, as well.

All of those books have been helpful to me, and I've made many life changes, especially in how I eat, as well as developing good sleep heigene.

Besides that, I have several other fibromylagia books of questionnable value, though there were some good points in them, as well.

Dr. Dryland does not strike me as someone who is just out for a buck. He sites many studies in support of his conclusions, as well as the empirical evidence he has gathered by working with his own patients. He seems sincerely interested in helping others.

Now as to the comments and questions, it seems to me that most of us want to find drugs or combinations of drugs that will solve our problems. Dr. Dryland does offer information and suggestions for various drugs, as well as warnings about them.

However, the main thrust of his book is to help fibromyalgia patients make the necessary life changes that will allow the body to stop the continuous cycle of the fight or flight response typical of fibromyaliga, and thus allow the proper sleep that restores dopamine.

Dr. Dryland outlines how you can figure out the triggers or combinations of triggers that got you into this viscious cyle in the first place. Then he shows how you should chart the progress of your fibromaylgia in a journal. These are important first steps.

After that, you must adopt lifestyle changes. He has arranged his book so that these are considered first. He makes a point that these things are perhaps more important than any medications you will use.

I should note that the very first chapters will help you decide for sure that you have fibromyaliga or something else that masquerades as fibromyalgia. He also helps you to discover any other conditions complicating the situation. These must be treated or resolved, as well.

Only after these sections does Dr. Dryland discuss medications. Two of the ones specific to restoring domamine are the Parkinsons' disease drugs, Mirapex and Requip.

But I must warn you that the discussion takes up exactly how these drugs should be used, and all of this is somewhat complicated. You can't just ask your doctor to give you these drugs. You need to understand the protocol outlined in this book so you can properly discuss it with your doctor.

For instance, you only use one of these drugs, which must be started slowly and built up to where they will do you some good. There are side effects, but the promise is that these drugs - along with significant lifestyle changes - will help you to become free of fibromylagia over time. It is not an overnight situation.

In other words, you really need to buy this book! Here's my take: even if I am still stuck with this disease after trying at least some of Dr. Dryland's suggestions, I know I will be better off. The suggestions make real sense to me. But it also makes sense that I should expect to get well!

My doctor may not want to let me take Mirapex or Requip. But I can tell you right now that I see some significant things I can add to my sleep heigene.

Here's one: I've been telling myself negative things about going to bed. I've been saying, "Oh, no. Bedtime. Here we go again. I'll probably not get to sleep, and when I do, it will be fitful."

Dr. Dryland points out that this kind of thinking gets the fight or flight response going. Once it is going, it will not let me sleep! I know this is true. I also know about negative self talk. That part is going to undergo and overhaul in me starting right now!

Anyway, I've been through the multiple drug route, including some pretty heavy narcotics. They have helped me because I was able to cut way down on the pain I suffer, and then cut down on the narcotics. For me, it has been like night and day. Nevertheless, I still have fibromyalgia, and I still suffer every day. I sure would like to do anything that will make it better.

The biggest thing I can tell you about Dr. Dryland is that he is an advocate of a natural approach with a little help from some choice medications, carefully dispensed. He doesn't seem to be very well versed in homeopathic meds, however.

Here is something else from his book, "The three most important steps to recovery are to 1) restore your sleep cycle, 2) reduce stress by controlling your fight-or-flight response, and 3) identify and resolve underlying medical and physical causes."

My own biggest triggers are stress and insomnia. I've retired from my teaching job, so the ever-increasing stress of that job is over (unless I think about it). But every time I have house guests, my stress levels skyrocket.

Apparently, I've been doing the same thing every day with my sleep. I've had insomnia problems all my life, though they reached new heights when I came down with fibromyalgia, of course. I also have mild sleep apnea, which is a huge problem that needs some work on my part.

So, there are many things in this book that are useful to me. I think they will be useful to anyone with fibromyalgia, or who things they may have fibromyalgia.

14. mishun81

mishun81 New Member

thanks for posting on this book. after reading your post I went to Amazon to read the reviews on it. the reviews are split 50/50 and have some testimonials from people who were treated by him..some happy - some very angry. the reviews go more in depth in the discussion part of the reviews. its worth to check it out. but as with everyting what works for one person my not necesseraly work for another. it's all trial and error with this DD and may be worth the read.

good luck to all of us who continue to search for a better quality of life.

15. sassyoregongirl

sassyoregongirl New Member

My sister & I have both been patients of Dr. Dryland. I only went to see him once as I was not impressed with his cookie cutter approach to FM. He basically treats every patient with the same protocol & I firmly believe this is not a good thing. We are all different with our symptoms, etc.

My sis is actually way worse today than she was before seeing him. If you do not want to take the medications HE wants you to take, (even though there are other older medications that are more well established & do the same thing as the "new" stuff he gives you, with less side effects) he can become quite nasty. He is basically running studies through his practice & is in bed with the pharmaceutical companies pushing these drugs & I for one am so glad that I found a rheumy that is awesome & treats me for MY symptoms.
  16. munch1958

munch1958 Member

There is a simple urine test which looks at neurotransmitter levels from www.neurorelief.com.

The test is FDA approved and my insurance covered it. My reults didn't match the typical pattern for FM patients which usually show a fight or flight pattern or low serotonin and low epinepherine.

I had it done and my seratonin came back high. Dopamine normal. Norepinephrine normal. Epinepherine normal. Gaba normal. In short, there was nothing to treat.
  17. pearls

pearls New Member

Sassyoregongirl, I'm sorry your experience and that of your sister wasn't positive. Somehow, in Dr. Dryland's book, I don't see him using a cookie cutter approach. He does say that every case of fibrmyalgia is different, and that doctors and their patients have to modifiy treatment to suit.

In any case, every doctor is going to have some dissatisfied patients. I still urge everyone to get a copy of this book. It doesn't cost much, and there is a lot of good advice in it. I'm going to put as many of his suggestions to work as I can. Surely some good will come from it.

As to Dr. Dryland's protocol for meds, my doc may never approve. If that's the case, I may go along with my doc. Still, I'm very interested in running it by him when I see him at the end of February.

Meanwhile, I'm going to follow all the suggestions I can follow on my own. These are good suggestions, some of which I've not seen until now.

18. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Pearls, Hi All,

I just got done listening to <a href="http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/SACRAMENTO-CA/KSTE-AM/Cary%20Nosler%2007_01_07%20Hour%201.mp3?CPROG=PCAST&MARKET=SACRAMENTO-CA&NG_FORMAT=talk&SITE_ID=691&STATION_ID=KSTE-AM&PCAST_AUTHOR=Cary_Nosler&PCAST/">Dr. Dryland’s 40-minute radio interview</a>. My impressions were good. He seemed knowledgeable and didn't speak in absolutes about this complex health condition.

A couple of points. He stated that he had the beginning symptoms of FM, but never got a full blown case of it. He recognized it in himself because he was so familiar with it with many of his patients.

I also don't remember him using the "cure" word. He whole mannner and demeanor would suggest to me that he doesn't think in those terms.

He mentioned that he hosts focus groups in the evening for his patients. I'm going to check on this and see if there's any charge as this would be only about 10 miles from where I live.

I'll post again if I discover more about this doctor and his programs.

Regards, Wayne
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 12/30/2007</i>]
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Makes a HUGE difference. In my case, Klonopin proved to be just what the doctor ordered, pun intended, to help me get good, restful sleep and wake up alert and rested.

It was only part of the comprehensive approach my docs and I took toward healing my FMS and CFIDS. I've gone from being bedridden and on Morphine most of the time seven years ago to now working part time as a grocery bagger, a very physical job. I'm not healed. I still have to monitor my energy very carefully and I'm still adjusting myself and my work schedule. Fortunately, the store has been so good about my schedule.

I'm back on the Methylation Cycle Protocol supplements when my schedule allows for detoxing. I just had a HUGE detox last week. I continue taking 1 mg. of Klonopin at bedtime because I believe I still need it. When my healing has reached a higher level, I hope to be able to wean off of it.

Love, Mikie
  20. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Do you know where in WA state he is? I live in central WA.