The Financial Cost Of FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jennbug, Mar 25, 2007.

1. jennbug

jennbug New Member

Just curious how much money do you spend on supplements per month? Special diet per month? I don't know about the rest of you out there but it is expensive to be sick!!!
    Thank you in advance for your response jenn
  2. GoldensRule

GoldensRule New Member

Dear jennbug,

I have had this disease for around 20 years and I know I have spent in the thousands and that is with decent health insurance. I have tried everything from accupunture to massage. I have used a TENS unit (which luckily was covered by my insurance). Just in the last month, I have spent well over $400 in supplements, prescriptions, creams and patches. The worst part is when you spend so much money only to find out that the product does not work for you. It is very discouraging. The worst part is that I think some companies prey on people like us with chronic pain or fatigue. I recently spent $120 on this pain cream that was guaranteed to ease the pain of fibromyalgia. I was so excited but unfortunately when I tried it I found that the cream worked no better than Bengay. Fortunately, the company did issue me a refund but there are probably a lot of people out there that don't have the energy to send these products back to get a refund.

I have started to ask my physicians for samples of new medications so that I can see if they will work before I purchase them. Pharmaceutical companies give doctors tons of samples for them to give their patients. I also buy supplements in the smallest amount until I see how they will work. If something works, than I can purchase the big economical value.

Good luck, jennbug.