The first day of Peace

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jmq, Mar 16, 2007.

1. jmq

jmq New Member

Hi Everyone,

Today at 4:30, I walked out of my office for the first time in my 29 year career and freed myself of stress. Some of you may have read my previous posts. I have FMS and in a major flare for over two years and getting worse by the day. I have been crawling to work and being worked to death by people who could not or would not believe how much pain and fog I was in. I just could not take it another moment so I asked for a 6 week leave of absence under FMLA.
    I am hoping and PRAYING that I find SOMETHING that brings back some of my health and desire to go back to that stress. 6 weeks does not give me much time...but at least I can try some things I never had a chance to do...naps, water exercises and other therapies. I know I have to do some major soul searching too...and financial planning with my loving husband. I have always been the main bread winner so this is a major shift. I am also going to try the disabilty retirement route but I am so afraid I will not qualify.

Well, thats all the news for now. I will let you know about the next few weeks as they progress.
    Thanks for listening..

jmq
  2. nightngale

nightngale New Member

Why don't you think you can't get SSDI?

3. FibroPainSufferer

FibroPainSufferer New Member

I hope you get plenty of rest & that you can be stress free & enjoy your time away from work!!!
  4. jmq

jmq New Member

Well..the way I understand it..

I can not apply for my LTD because I have not been out more than 75 consecutive days....I have been out 450 sick days...but that will not count because it is not in a row!

I cant apply for SSDI because I am still employed.

I cant afford to quit...so I am stuck. I am going to try for disablity retirement but I have to find 2 doctors that say I could not work anywhere ever..I do not know if they will do that for me. They both say I can not work now...but forever???

sigh..
    jmq
  5. suzetal

suzetal New Member

My LTD went into affect right away.My doctor signed the FMLA for for a 90 day leave due to my heath.Than when that was done I got another 3 months and so on until I hit the one year mark and I agreed I would not go back and was terminated on that day due to illness so I was rehire able.

As far as SSD you must be out of work or expected to be out for one full yea.If your doctors all support you on this you can apply now.

If you win your SSD case that money will be deducted from your LTD.If LTD approves your claim they pay you.

Please talk to your doctors if they support you for SSD.

Also please call the insurance company that holds your LTD policy and tell them to send you a copy of your policy.

That way you can revue your policy and get ready for your claim for LTD.You need to make sure your getting whats due you as far as money and time off.

They are both insurance so you can have income when you become ill.So go get whats yours I did.

Sue
  6. Ginner

Ginner New Member

I believe Suzetal is right. And when you are on your leave of absence, fmla, you can get std,a physcians note stating you are taking this for health reasons. The paper work for std from your HR. which can then roll over to ltd if needed. That is exactly what I "didn't" do !
    My story so close to yours, seriously. 10 yrs fms,mps and flared the past 2 yrs. laying over my keyboard, napping in my car, searching the web for answers, took fmla for help, back to work, missed more work..you can read my new profile..
    I really did love my job!
    I hope you find peace during this time. I am like a mom sometimes on this board, like most of us maybe, I want to save someone if I think I may have some good advice.
    We all need our good days for PEACE!! you go girl as they say!
  7. revlcb

revlcb New Member

Just wanted to wish you well on your new journey.

Try all those new activities that you may not have had time for while working. Hopefully you'll at least find an ease in your symptoms so that you're able to live your life in relative comfort.

Stress can do horrible things to our bodies and I pray that this respit allows you to find what you're looking for.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/17/2007]
  8. jole

jole Member

Your story could have been mine 6 months ago. Only when I went back, it was just long enough to turn in my resignation and quit. I found out while I was at home that my brain fog lifted and I could actually think again. My other symptoms did not get better, but feeling human in so much as I could remember and concentrate and "feel" again made it worth the decision to quit.

I hope and pray you can make it back to work, but please do not push it and make yourself worse. I still have not applied for disability but am getting my ducks in a row. At least now I can sleep in and take a nap in the afternoon. My evenings are soo much better! This is not what we asked for. I loved my job too, and it was very hard to quit. But stress does make us feel worse.

Best of luck with your decision!
  9. gottalaugh

gottalaugh New Member

Just wanted to say hello and that I am sure that all of this has been very difficult for you and I am hoping that good things will come from it. Take care.
  10. jmq

jmq New Member

Thank you all for the replies...I just love having you all in my life now! As far as STD, my office ( State Agency no less..) does not automatically give it. You have to get it yourself and I never thought I would need it. Luckily I signed up for LTD 20 something years ago but can not tap into it until I am out 75 days in a row. Can you imagine how much money they have made from my premiums in all those years!!!!

I am going to take your advice and relax, heal, soul search, and try to find answers while I have this opportunity.

Hugs to all of you
    jmq