The Flu Killed Some of my ME/CFS symptoms

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by petemora, Jul 7, 2013.

1. petemora

petemora Member

Anyone else have the flu and feel better?

I had the flu for almost a month last winter and this is the BEST I've felt in 8 years! I am wondering if anyone else has gone thru this? It is like the flu overcame a lot of my ME/CFS/FM symptoms.

My husband thinks I'm operating at about 40 percent, versus 10% to 20% the rest of the time.
  2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

petemora,

Were you given an antiviral medication or anything when you had the flu?

Glad to hear you are feeling a little better.
  3. IanH

IanH Active Member

Over the 17 years of my ME/CFS I have had the flu three times, once I felt like you, a lot better with less overall pain at the end of the flu. The other two times I was floored by the flu and it took me weeks to get over it.

I have also asked others about this and got variable answers so I suspect it may depend on the stage of some kind of cycle you are in. It may well be to do with the levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines and natural killer cell function as well as T-cell levels. After all, the malaise of the flu is not caused by the virus but by your own immune system inducing the malaise.
  4. DoveL

DoveL Member

Hi Petemora,

This is so ironic that I came upon this post! I was just mentioning this to a friend of mine that when I catch a virus or flu; I only have the symptoms of the virus or flu-not the CFS/FMS symptoms. (I have CFS/FMS-10+ years). I am currently battling a wicked Summer virus. And once again notice I have no pain ; just the symptoms of this virus. Very bizarre. Although I don't have an answer for this, you are not alone. I find it interesting that after all of these years when I network with others, I find out that I am not alone with these bizarre health problems.

Be well.
    DoveL
  5. mena76

mena76 Member

Petermora, could it be that your immune is overactive? I have an overactive immune and a few months ago i started taking black seed oil and it supposedly lowered my immune cause i was sick for a week but felt good???!! strange but true. I haven't been sick in over 5 years. just a thought
    Mena
    polymyositis
  6. AnnieB.

AnnieB. Member

Hmmm. I've had M.E. for 24 years and, in 24 years, I've never had the flu and I've only had one cold. Before that, I used to catch anything going - summer colds, terrible annual Christmas colds, flu, etc. I don't get flu shots. I'm housebound, now, but I haven't always been for the past 24 years. Yet, when I wasn't housebound, I could have been in a crowd of people coughing and sneezing all over the place (and over me) and I wouldn't catch it.

petemora has me wishing I could catch a flu, somehow. I know that doesn't work for everyone but I'd be willing to give it a try. ;)
  7. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

I've been thinking about this too. I hardly get normal sick anymore though do go into cfs flares. Could it be that our immune system is so over responsive and always thinking we are under attack anyways that not much gets a chance to actually do even more harm though it will tire us out extra. I do pick up things easily that make me extra ill but not in having the sickness that is going around. I did find that sometimes I get 'normal' musclepains when I overdo and that they also seem to compensate some of the ME symptoms. I describe it as being warm and cold muscle pains and the normal one seems to warm up the system that helps in dealing with the ME symptoms. Whilst the CFS pains are cold pains that get on the nerves way more. Unfortunately it usually just flares up the CFS and I have no way to predict what the outcome will be. I don't know about the flu, haven't had that in a long time. I have had a very low bodytemperature for so long that I haven't had an actual fever in long time.