The Flu shot

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by charming, Oct 12, 2008.

1. charming

charming New Member

Has anyone been told by their physician that they recommend it to have the flu shot. because I have not had a flu vaccine since 1997 and I been refusing it every year since. should I get the vaccination or should I pass again this year? I am so scared to get it because of the antibodies I have a fear of getting the flu like symptoms after the antibodies began to work.When I got the vaccine in 1997 I was soo sick I just don't want the same reaction again.
  2. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I don't think I got one last year but I did the year before that and I honestly can't remember if I had a bad reaction to it or not.

I can't decide whether to get one this year or not--part of me says yes because the colds and such run so rampant through the office I work at and plus I work around the eldery too and I would hate to spread something bad to them.

My body is so screwed up I don't know what to do either.
  3. homesheba

homesheba New Member

but i didnt and wont....
  4. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hi all. i asked dr. lerner and he recommends getting it.

i have gotten it for many years and have never had a bad reaction, but if you have had a bad reaction in the past, then i would probably skip it.

hope this helps
  5. 3gs

3gs New Member

its a flip. I had testing done and one of the first questions they asked me was if I got flu shots. Why because my mercury levels were high.

this is the debate going on about vaccinations the crap they add to them that they dont need to.

me? no more flu shots.
  6. redhummingbird

redhummingbird New Member

Hmm. I asked my doctor about getting a flu shot last week and he said absolutely not because my immune system is malfunctioning and it's unclear what sort of reaction I might get from it.

I think I've only had one flu shot so far.

Jaminhealth-good protocol for flu season. I think I'll try it for this year. I've got the avoiding crowds part down since I'm housebound. I've started colloidal silver and will add the other thing you mentioned who's name escapes me at the moment.
  7. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

I get the flu shot every year; personally I'd much rather risk side effects than the full-blown flu, especially since I now have asthma. I've had FM for three years now, and always get the flu shot. I've never had any bad reactions.

I think that for people who do have reactions, though, it's not an all-the-time thing. I don't think if you have a reaction once you're going to get them every time, it just kind of depends on the particular shot/person at the time.
  8. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

I've wondered about those of us taking anti-virals. Wouldn't it seem that the anti-virals would stop any flu virus from progresssing?

Apparently my logic must be wrong as my doctor (Dr. Lerner) says to get a shot and he has me on AV's.

I agree though that it's scary because our bodies just don't react properly.

9. jole

jole Member

I have a different reason than most...I'm allergic to eggs and therefore can't take them. But even if I could, I wouldn't.,..they don't cover all types of flu and they don't know what strain is going to be rampant at the time they make the vaccine.

My mother took them and the pneumonia shot every year and did very well on, like many other things, is just a matter of individual choice I guess. On one hand is caution, on the other is the fear of the unknown.....
  10. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have been getting them every year for the last 6 years and I am pretty sure I have not had the flu since I started getting them.

My doctor tells me that I don't get any reactions to the shot because I get them every year and my body is used to them but people who haven't gotten them before can get some side effects to their first one. My roommate got one the same day I did and hadn't had one before and did not get any side effects at all.

I think they work and I recommend them.
  11. charming

charming New Member

Wow thanks everyone who replied back and I read all of them and I think I will get the flu shot because, just having a cold gives me a bad flare up and just think of the flu ewww! I don't think I can deal with the real thing.
  12. Doober

Doober New Member

are proned to getting sick and get colds every time you even just look at someone with the sniffled, I would say yes.

But if you have not gotten sick for a long time like myself (Going on 5 years without a cold or even a scratchy throat) than I would say no.

The reason is that your body's natural anti body building is taking care of this somehow.

I have thought about it in a maybe this will be the year I finally get sick and maybe I should get one. But another winter passes with out so much as the sniffles.

This does scare me because when and if I do get sick, how bad will I be????

It comes down to the individual choice. Some cannot because af allergies to ingredients and other choose not to for whatever reason they may have.

So I would ask you DR why he strongly beleives that this year is different than last?