The Flu with Fibromyalgia????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kimba4318, May 30, 2006.

1. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Hi Everyone. I am going through a bad flare up and think I may have the flu on top of it. My knees are swollen, I feel nauseated and the pain is umbearable... I feel dizzy and have horrible stomach pains. It seems to affect me, witht the FM, so much worse than anyone else who does not have Fibromyalgia. Can anyone tell me if this is there experience. If I did not know better, I would probably be in the ER right now, feeling like I am dying. Any suggestions or if you have the same experience with the flu, woudl be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your input!
  2. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

Hi. Sorry your sick. I have had the flu a couple of times and it caused me to have a major flare, also. If I were you I would call your doctor. I find it to be unbarable.
  3. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi
    No fun being this sick!! But yes i did have the flue like this a couple of times when (or before i got diagnosed) where i thought i was going to die!!..................................couldn't even lift my head off the pillow! it was a very long 3 day's!!......................The thing that helped was drinking as much fluid as possible andkeeping a cool rag on my forehead.....................................................also i'm thinking if your knees are swollen up you might want to elevate them by putting a pillow under them!!..............certianly Call your Doc. these are just some things that helped me!..................................God bless and feel better! sisland
  4. hi kimba,
    im in the uk and suffer from fibromyalgia and ME chronic fatigue syndrome.ive had these illnesses for 12 years now.

i have bouts of the flu that you describe and its horrible isnt it.i dont know why it happens,then goes away just to return a week or so later.

my last bout with this flu was last week.i seem to get it out of the blue,but kept a record of how often it re occurs.in may alone ive had 3 bouts of this flu.it lasts for a couple of days and just wears me out big time.

ill start to get a tempreture,a very high one too.then i feel very fatigued/washed out.ill have major pain in my head and behind my eyes.it feels as though something is pushing on the back of my eye balls and they would be just grateful if they could pop out of my face for relief from the pressure.

i feel very sickly in my stomache like im starving for food,even though i know im not hungry.and this is the part that wears me down.ill just go into a frenzy of sneezing,none stop.my whole head throbs with the pain of being constantly jolted due to the high pressure of the force of the sneezing attacks.

ill then go from being very very hot,to freezing cold.then back to hot again.in the couple of days that this mystery condition will be with me.my body tempreture just keeps changing from one extreme to the other.its so weird.

i do buy tinned fruit and have found that if i eat peaches,then i can avoid vomiting.im grateful for that at least.my legs will tremble and i just feel.LIKE I HAVE THE FLU.but it isnt the flu that none fibro people have is it.you know,the viral type.its this blinking syndrome.im so very tired with it all,thats for sure,and im giving myself permission to put my fight on hold and feel sorry for myself,just for a few days at least.

take care
    fran
  5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

...I should welcome you to CFS.....

I do hope not.

Hugs, gentle ones,
    Marta
  6. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Thanks everyone - Wow - Fran - all sounds so familiar. Marta - I think you are right, gosh is it possible I have so many darn conditions??? I guess I wish there was just one NAME for all of this... I feel like I sound like a hypochondriac (sorry about the spelling). It is so hard to explain it all to "others" - so glad the people here can understand! Hugs to you all!
  7. kriket

kriket New Member

It usually takes me 2-3 times longer to get over having the flu. I feel for you. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Kriket
  8. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I have CFIDS and fibro, and I definitely know how you feel. I think we tend to get hit harder with infections when we do get sick. Back in March I had a viral infection, never did find out if it was the flu or not. But, it certainly seemed like it. I had an awful sore throat and a fever of between 101 and 103 for 5 days straight. Most other people who had gotten sick with that virus were sick for 2 or 3 days. But me...I had to get it for 5 days. It was miserable, I was in so much pain from head to toe, was dehydrated, had horrible heart palpitations, etc. I feel that having CFIDS and fibro increased the intensity of the virus.

I hope you feel better. Alternate Tylenol and Advil if you are running a high fever. Also, drink plenty of gatoraid to keep from getting dehydrated and losing electrolytes. And of course, get lots of rest. I hope you feel better soon.

Gentle hugs,
    Kim
  9. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

Hope your feeling a little better. I really think you should contact your doctor. If they know how severe all your symptoms are when you are sick, next time they won't mind so much giving you extra meds. Plus, maybe it is not the flu and it is a different type of infection - then you may need an antibotic.
  10. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

yes - thank you for your advice. I pulled myself together enough to go in today for bloodwork - they are checking for Lupus again, Lyme disease, Rhem. Arthritis and more. I really think it is something more this time. All of my joints are swollen adn I notice I bump my head on everything (my hand eye coordintaion is off I guess). My stomach is on fire (I have Gerd so that may be it) and the pain is still unbearable to sit.... constant burning pain in my back and legs. It will take a few days to get the results back, I just pray for some answers. Thank you all again for all of the support & hugs :) Kim
  11. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi
    will be saying a prayer for you! let us know what you find out! sisland

[ advertisement ]