the guilt of taking medicine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by crazydaisy0578, Aug 19, 2005.

1. crazydaisy0578

crazydaisy0578 New Member

Hi all! Does anyone ever feel like they are always taking medication? I constantly feel like I am always taking a pain pill, or something else. My rheumy said not to feel this way but for some reason I do. Here is what I take--
    Cymbalta 60mg, tramadol-up to 6 a day, ambien 10 mg at night, sometimes some motrin, glucophage and decadron for my hormone probs. It just never ends.... I feel guilty for some reason, and I know I did not ask for this DD!
  2. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I know the feeling well! It was very hard to swallow that I was going to have to take medication for the rest of my life. And it does seem like a lot, especially since my husband doesn't take anything but a baby aspirin at night.

But, I think of it this way. If taking medication gives you quality of life, then what else can you do. By taking my meds, I can still fuction and enjoy my life. Being in pain takes it's toll on your health. It increases BP and causes depression. If you were diabetic, you would have to take medication for life, so this is no different.

Please don't beat yourself up over this! I think everyone at first is not happy with the idea of having to take medications, even if it is for high BP, diabetes or any other reason that meds have to be taken. You just get used to having to take them, and go on with your life.

Take care, Sally
  3. revlcb

revlcb New Member

Understand your feelings about all the meds. I take a handful in the morning, a few in the afternoon and then another handful before bed. I feel like a junky at times. When on vacation this past month with friends, I took my meds in the bathroom so that they wouldn't see how many meds I was on (didn't want to get started on the lecture or having to explain their usages).

I did take myself off Prozac as I didn't feel that it was doing any difference in the pain/serotonin department. Or at least not enough to warrant taking such a powerful med.

I've also attempted to take myself off one of my sleeping aids but, that wasn't sucessful as I wound up awake 1/2 the night. So I suppose that one has to stay.

I guess it's just my nature to NOT want to take any drugs at all. (I'm sure most of us feel this way). By the time I take my perscription medicine along with any vitamins, and such, I'm truly taking a handful. Well, no need for breakfast I suppose :)
  4. mymissy

mymissy New Member

I really know where you are coming from. I take so much it's unreal. Some of them make you gain weight and I tried taking myself off them but couldn't stand it so went back on the med. We (thank god) have good ins. and it pays for my meds but they are still really expensive. I get tired of taking so many pills (about 12) aday. I'm like the other person who wrote that when you go somewhere you hide it so you don't have to explain it. At least my brother and his wife are in the medical field and understand it all. God Bless us all.

Patty