The Happiness Project...Just an idea

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Mar 4, 2010.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

Just an idea, would think this would be along the lines of keeping in mind gratitude for what we do have...

The Happiness Project is a memoir of the year Gretchen Rubin spent test-driving the wisdom of the ages, the current scientific studies, and the lessons from popular culture about how to be happy--from Aristotle to Martin Seligman to Thoreau to Oprah.

...The idea came from Benjamin Franklin’s Autobiography. He recounts how he identified thirteen virtues he wanted to cultivate, then made himself a chart with those virtues plotted against the days of the week. Each day, he’d score himself on whether he lived up to his goals.

Rubin has also started a blog. Here, she recounts her daily adventures in pursuit of happiness.

If anyone else wants to try this, Franklin's thirteen virtues are available at

Also, a free online tool you can use to track your progress is available at

I thought some might find this interesting, tho I'd have a hard time even remembering to check anything off - tho a list posted prominently would help.

2. spacee

spacee Member

I had read/heard a few days/weeks ago that if you spend 15 mins on something everyday that in a number of years, you will be an expert (of sorts) on that topic.

I can't say that I can commit to this (brain issues) but it does sound interesting.

I watched a video of a man who was homeless and read 200 biographies of great men.
    He got the books from the library.

One of the things he gleaned was "I will greet each day with a thankful heart".

I bet he read Ben F.'s biography.

I will see if I can look over the sites and absorb what they mean.