The horrible, horrible lights at WalMart

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Oct 12, 2009.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

shining off the shiny, shiny floor. ARGH! No matter how I feel, once I get in WalMart I feel like the lights are making me blind almost. What is up with that?
  2. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Light sensitivity is one of our common symptoms and can actually set off flares. Wear shades in Walmart.

3. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

wear shades in the WalMart and the grocery store too, but why on earth do they want it to be so darn bright? They could save on electricity and lower some more prices!!
  4. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Well, I don't even think it occurs to the rest of the world. They just want people to be able to clearly see the merchandise. I agree with your point though.

5. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

Lights at Marshall's and TJM do the same thing to me as Walmarts. They are blinding after 5 mins.
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

They will make you ill. I can't go in Wally World, Home Depot, or Low's without sun-glasses on. I have gotten physically ill in all three stores before I realized it was the lights.

Also if you have cataracts you need to be sure to wear sun-glasses in these stores as well as in the sun light. An eye doctor just recently told me this. No one seemed to know about the bright lights and cataracts. It makes them worst. She named all the stores above...

Some of those lights are 10 times brighter than the noon day sun, that is why they bother even people that are not sick.

Shalom, Shirl
  7. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I know exactly what you mean.

The huge bright white aisle when you first walk in the store is blinding.

I always wondered about the light sensitivity until I realized that my fibro was caused by a chronic bacterial infection...borrelia burgdorferi (lyme), and light sensitivity is a common symptom.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/12/2009]
  8. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Big white aisle! double wide aisle with the lights shining right off that and right off the ceiling! Blech!
  9. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

I have adrenal insufficiency and I have about a 20 minute limit in any store with flourescent lighing and by far the WM Supercenters are the worst. Longer than that I get weak, shaky and have difficulty breathing. I've been hospitalized three times last year with "adrenal crisis" and the last one was basically shopping too much. I was changing out my bedroom and bathroom and was bopping in and out of stores comparing and didn't listen to my body and pushed the limit and paid for it with a life threatening crisis.

When I was first diagnosed with CFS in 2004 which I now know for me is AI the doctors office had a sign that said they had special lighting to accomodate their CFS patients but I at the time didn't know what that meant, boy I sure do now.

10. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I wonder if WalMart would tone down their lighting if they realized it is hazardous to the health of their shoppers. How do we get that accomplished?
  11. sacredmoon68

sacredmoon68 New Member

When I go into Walmart, I feel deathly ill, I have to hold onto a wall to walk, I feel dizzy, my legs and arms do not want to work, I feel sick to my stomach, I feel confused. I cant think or talk straight. It feels like right when you walk in to the store that you are under water or in a fishbowl, the pressure is hard on your body, it is like you are not going to make it out alive as if you will die in there before you can reach the front door. On a few occasions I have even abandoned my shopping cart because I could not even make it through the checkout. Anyway I found this link on fluorescent lighting and every symptom on here is exactly what I feel when I enter a Walmart. I have now decided that I will never shop there again, the store is killing me when I go in there.
    I used to think it was only me and found others are suffering as I do when entering this awful place.
    Read the link and decide if this is what you all feel as I do.
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It is caused by a seizure-like overfiring, or misfiring, of the brain's neurons. All our senses can be affected. We may not like something touching us. We may get sick from strong odors or harsh lighting. Loud, or harsh, sounds may send us running for the door. Even movement can affect us. If a store is crowded and children are running all over, we can start to feel very aggitated. Same on the road. If cars ahead of us start changing lanes all over the place, it can cause confusion.

I have been taking Klonopin for 11 years to stop this slight state of seizure at night so I can sleep. I've found that by placing 1/4 of a 1 mg. tablet under my tongue, I can stand this sensory overload when I'm out dining or shopping. It doesn't make me drowsy at that dose. Both my doc and the pharmacist agree this is a great way to deliver the drug for almost instant relief.

Love, Mikie
  13. greatgran

greatgran Member

I seldom go to walmart but I live in a small town and if I shop it has to be walmart. So I have the same problem, in fact my vision gets so bad its hard for me to shop. I wear dark glasses and take a xanax before I go ,sometimes I can do ok and other times I have to leave. There are times I have actually gotten nauseated.

Other stores with the lights bother me too, haven't been in a large mall in 12 yrs.

Misery isn't it?? No help but sure can relate.
  14. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I always wear sunglasses when I'm in stores because of those bright lights. It seems like I wear sunglasses more than my regular glasses. I often limit computer time and TV time too. The flashing lights from many TV shows really bothers me, and my computer monitor is often too bright, even with the brightness set to the lowest setting. I joke with my husband that my future's so bright, I have to wear shades! :)

P.S. Wraparound sunglasses can help for both driving and shopping.

Warm wishes,