The hyper reactive immune system (FM Thread)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by RadioFM, Jun 2, 2014.

1. RadioFM

RadioFM Member

What Is Peptide Therapy? / http://www.rctherapy.com/regenerative-cell-therapy/how-it-works/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My focus of this thread is to find an alternative treatment option for dealing with the hyper-reactive immune system related to FM.

Infections may play a role in chronic inflammation inducing anti-citrullinated peptide antibodies. I will be posting information on how inflammation can convert arginine proteins into citrulline antibodies. The immune system often attacks citrullination proteins. Chronic infections and methylation insufficiencies are a possible contributing factor in citrullination. These chronic infections could the driving force behind the hyper reactive immune system related to FM. This can lead to the development of chronic inflammation and autoimmune disease we see today. I am also starting to see the legitimacy in peptide therapy.

Radio:
    If there is an immune system connection, would peptide therapy help mediating this problem?

Radio:
    Mycoplasma and streptococcal infection can also be a possible factor related to the hyper reactive immune system and anti-CCP2 antibodies.

"Anti-CCP2 antibody and rheumatoid (RF) tests are used for the diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Out of these two, anti-CCP2 antibody is supposed to be more specific for RA. Aim of the study was to present 33 cases of undifferentiated arthritis (UA) in which features of RA were not present, but anti-CCP2 antibody was positive. Out of the 33 cases of UA, 19 had well-known disease like hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, tubercular arthritis, traumatic arthritis, pneumonia with arthritis, varicose vein with pain in legs, cervical spondylitis and SSA. The duration of disease was more than one year in 67.86% cases. Majority of the patients were females (63.64%). Knee joint involvement was seen in maximum number (i.e. 20 cases). All 33 cases were positive for anti-CCP2 Ab. Maximum number of cases (78.78%) had involvement of one or two joints. CRP positivity was seen in 23.07% cases. Morning stiffness was present in (36.36%) cases, while swelling of the joint was present in 33.33% cases. In 16 cases, only serum sample was available for further analysis. About 62.5% cases showed IgG RF positivity. Antitubercular IgM and IgG were detected in 18.75% cases; ASO was elevated in 12.5% cases, and HBs Ag was positive in 6.25% cases. None of the controls (30 cases) were positive for these infections, anti-CCP2 antibody or RF. Thus, our study concludes that chronic infections like streptococcus, hepatitis B, tuberculosis and autoimmune thyroid diseases can produce raised levels of anti-CCP2 antibody and IgG RF." See more here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21789619

Radio:
    Is there a immune system viral connection? In this paper they have identified viral citrullinated peptide - VCP2 - derived from the Epstein-Barr virus.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014 at 2:01 PM
  2. RadioFM

RadioFM Member

Radio: I will be posting information relating to how the arginine ratio could possibly provoke an inflammatory response.

Please review the link below...

Radio: I believe that B12 deficiency and methylation insufficiencies are a possible contributing factor in citrullination related to myelin basic proteins. This could be another driving force behind the hyper reactive immune system related to FM.

Please review this links:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  3. IanH

IanH Active Member

Where do you get all that about arginine "provoking . . herpes virus"

Arginine is an antiherpetic and used in the treatment of HSV-1
  4. RadioFM

RadioFM Member

Hello IanH,

Radio: These are possible contributing factors open for interpretation.

Arginine can stimulate the secretion of various hormones that can possibly provoke the herpes virus replication. You do make a good point that antiherpetic is used in treatment in HSV-1. I feel the real problem is that the arginine ratio is provoking an inflammatory response.

If you the take time and review these links you will see that arginine is a possible factor in the hyper-reactive immune system. Inflammation can convert arginine proteins into the citrulline antibody. The immune system can attack citrullinated proteins, leading to autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and multiple sclerosis. If we can somehow replace these defective peptides proteins, this could potentially resolve the immune system's hyper-reactive immune response. Peptide Therapy could be a possible beneficial treatment option to consider.

5. IanH

IanH Active Member

1. You cannot eliminate arginine from the diet
    2. The amount of arginine required for the function of arginine-methyl transferase is very low and would always be sufficient for replication. Starving oneself of arginine will not affect the synthesis. Nor will raising the level of lysine in the diet.
    3. Raising the level of arginine inhibits the function of arginine-methyl transferase, therefore inhibiting viral synthesis.

While dietary therapeutic increase in arginine is not a sufficient treatment, it is a successful adjunct, particularly when using acyclovir. So to say that arginine somehow "provokes" HSV is not correct.

I often see clinicians, Naturapaths in particular, confusing biomolecular information with therapeutic information. Just because a molecule is involved in a biochemical reaction does not mean that that fact can be translated into the use or restriction of that molecule. Certainly not without science to test it. (we see this everyday in relation to many nutrient supplements, vitamin D in particular).

In this case arginine is required by the virus but reducing the amount in the diet has no effect on synthesis.
    While raising the level of lysine is also anti-herpetic, the corollary of reducing arginine is not true.

The confusion arose from the following study in 1978:
    A multicentered study of lysine therapy in Herpes simplex infection.
    Griffith RS, Norins AL, Kagan C. Dermatologica. 1978;156(5):257-67.

This was a tissue culture study and has been subsequently shown to be true in vitro but not in vivo.

So, currently there is NO evidence that the lysine/arginine ratio is a factor in the HSV-1 infection state. All we know is that if you raise the levels of either one to therapeutic amount they both have an effect on viral synthesis.
  6. RadioFM

RadioFM Member

IanH@,

Radio: Yes, I agree with you about antiviral support. But, you are missing the point. This thread is about the contributing factors relating to the hyper-reactive immune system.

This thread is not about viral synthesis or the arginine factor in viral synthesis.

When viruses turns into a chronic condition, these viruses can change into a second and different infections called non-cytopathic viruses. When this happens we have two different infections going on in the body. One infection as regular virus and another second infection as a non-cytopathic virus.

These regular viruses can live outside of our cells and can be silenced, to a certain extent, with antivirals. I feel that non-cytopathic viruses that can live inside the cells as an intracellular infections are the main problem, driving the inflammatory response. There are no effective treatment option for non-cytopathic viral infections at this time. Also, raising arginine-methyl transferase and trying to inhibit viral synthesis will not have a impact on non-cytopathic viral infections.

If you take the time and review these links you will see that arginine can be a possible factor in driving the hyper-reactive immune system. Inflammation can change arginine proteins into citrulline / antibodies. The immune system can attack citrullinated proteins, leading to autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and multiple sclerosis.

The focus of this thread is to find an alternative treatment option for dealing with the hyper-reactive immune system related to defective proteins, viral peptides, non-cytopathic viral infections and chronic infection.

Please review this paper I posted identifying viral citrullinated peptide related to the Epstein Barr virus is another possible factor to contemplate.

See more here:

Peptide Therapy could be a beneficial treatment option to consider. If we can try to limit, not necessarily eliminate arginine foods. This could also "possibly" help reduce the immune system inflammatory response.

I feel we absolutely need long term methylation, mitochondrial, and antiviral support. Diet can be another strategy in dealing with chronic inflammation. Such as: Elimination diet.

There is no easy way to treat this problem and many may need pharmaceutical intervention and long term supportive care.

This information is not intended to be medical advice. The information is meant to inspire and motivate you to make your own decisions surrounding your health care and dietary needs. It is intended for educational and informational purposes only.
  7. IanH

IanH Active Member

You say I am missing the point! I am making a point about part of your article/endeavour, which I do not disagree with. Once agai though you say We can try to limit, not necessarily eliminate arginine foods.

Why? The point I am making is that there is no rationale for this action.
  8. RadioFM

RadioFM Member

My focus of this thread is to find an alternative treatment option for dealing with the hyper-reactive immune system related to FM and chronic infections.

Infections may play a role in inducing anti-citrullinated peptide antibodies. Inflammation can convert arginine proteins into the citrulline antibody. The immune system often attacks citrullination proteins. Chronic infections, methylation insufficiencies are possible contributing factor in citrullination. This can lead to the development of chronic inflammation and autoimmune disease we see today.

Radio Please post any alternative treatment option you have found to be beneficial at controlling chronic inflammation?

Pay it forward and never give up!
  9. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

One of the newest supps out there to help control/modulate chronic inflammation is Anatabloc...I took it for 4 solid months Jan-April 2013 and was feeling almost like a new person, but then it stopped working for me....I had far less pain and a cheery upbeat persona... I'm thinking of starting it again and see if I can get that "feeling" back.

My daughter is on it quite a while for a collapsed tendon in foot which presents mega inflammation. She also "had" a puffy looking appearance to her body for most of her life, that has subsided....it had to be inflammation also.

It's a tad pricey, but if it works, it's worth every pricey penny.....you can find it online at a few outlets....
    RadioFM likes this.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Even though the peptide injections have eliminated my CFIDS/ME and FMS symptoms, if I get sick or run down, whatever Herpes-Family chronic infection I have will try to rear its ugly head. A short course of Acyclovir will drive it back into latency and the viral symptoms will disappear. It takes far less time and antiviral meds to achieve this now that my immune and autoimmune illnesses are under control. I don't say, "Cured," because I don't see the injections as a cure.

I believe there is still a HUGE amount of research needing done to unravel the complicated mysteries of our illnesses but, in the meantime, the peptide injections, plus all the treatments leading up to them, has alleviated my symptoms. I'm at least 80 percent of having glowing good health but no one else my age is any better so I'm guessing 14 years of aging have taken their toll as well.

Love, Mikie
    RadioFM likes this.
  11. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

I started back on Anatabloc (Anatabine) and HOPE it will do what it did when I first took it in 2012/2013....I got a good enough deal to try it again and will give it a 3 month try again....we shall see. Started yesterday and already I was up and out of bed at 8AM today....which is not my regular M.O. jam

This supp works on modulating/controlling chronic inflammation. Nothing else like it out there.
    RadioFM likes this.
  12. RadioFM

RadioFM Member

Radio: IL-17 cytokines inflammatory mechanisms of FM?

"This analyses showed that fibromyalgia patients have increased levels of IL-17A. They also reveal that plasma concentrations of IL17A correlate with levels of IL-2, IL-4 and IL-10, TNF and IFNγ."

CONCLUSIONS:
    "As far as we are aware, this is the first study to demonstrate increased levels of IL17A in fibromyalgia patients. The positive correlation between the levels of IL-17A and of other cytokines strengthens the hypothesis of the involvement of inflammatory mechanisms in the development of this syndrome.
    Pernambucomet al. Clin Ex Rheum. 2013 Nov-Dec;31 " Increased levels of IL-17A in patients with fibromyalgia.

Dr. Lipkin was obviously intrigued by the differences in cytokine findings between spinal fluid and blood."Foremost Virus Hunter Finds Biomarkers, Few Viruses in Big Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Study...Foremost Virus Hunter Finds Biomarkers, Few Viruses in Big ...

"Levels of Il-17 were raised in recent onset ME/CFS patients. Lipkin suggested immunomodulators able to bring IL-17 levels down might be a treatment option at some point."

"No mention, interestingly, was made of autoimmunity, but Lipkin, pointing at the high IL-17 levels in the newbies, embraced the idea (only after further validation) of using immunomodulators in some ME/CFS patients to turn down the fire in the immune system. Immunomodulators exist now, he said, that can bring that IL-17 cytokine down. (He stressed, however, that there is not enough research to start using them on patients.)"

"The spinal fluid, interestingly enough, showed a very different pattern. It showed a consistent profile of immunological dysregulation in CFS, regardless of duration of illness. Dr. Lipkin identified increased IL-10 and IL-13 levels suggesting enhanced Th2 activation and increased IL-1B, IL-5 and IL-17 suggesting Th1 (proinflammatory) activation."
  13. RadioFM

RadioFM Member

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014 at 5:48 PM
  14. RadioFM

RadioFM Member