The Invasion of the Ladybugs.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gapsych, Nov 9, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Has anyone else been invaded by ladybugs in their town? We usually get them this time of year but I think there has been a population explosion.

I have dead ladybugs all over my carpet, on the shades of my lamps(live ones) and all over the house. The outside of my house is covered with them. One accidentally flew into my mouth this AM. Those buggers taste pretty nasty.

I don't know how they even got in the house. I certainly did not let them in when they knocked on the door!!

I cleaned my glasses so I wasn't just seeing spots.

Can anyone make a ladybug icon from your keyboard? I have been trying for the last thirty minutes. I think I need a hobby.

2. victoria

victoria New Member

3. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

We have not had them in years! I think everyone in Indiana has them if they live in a wooded area or in an old house like me.

i pick them off the bathroom floor, etc. and put them down the toilet.In the kitchen i pick them off everywhere and put them down te disposal. Last evening one kept flying in front of this screen. Hate them!!!!!

Thery are so smelly too. my cat will not go near them though she will tackle any other bug.!!
  4. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

These are not lady bugs but Asian Lady Beetles that were imported to the US from China to deal with aphids on pecan trees and soybeans. By 1990 these beetles, introduced as a biological control, had multiplied and spread as great pests across the USA & Canada.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Jean, I love your icon for the lady bugs. We have to think of a prize for this. Any ideas?

Lilaclover30, I live in Illinois about 40 miles from the Indiana border. I wonder if it is a Midwest thing? My daughter and family took a walk in the woods on Saturday and they were so bad, they had to leave.

I hate the thought of killing them though I might feel differently any moment now. Someone told me you have to use "tough love" to get rid of them, take control and tell them firmly to get out of your house. But alas, this did not work. Sigh.

I did not know they smell. I don't know if I want to find out as with my luck I will end up inhaling one.<BR

Do they smell when you smash them?

Right now I have a ladybug on the top of my laptop screen. Strange, it does not have many dots. I have seen quite a few like that. Do they shed their dots in the winter?

Think I will do some research.

[This Message was Edited on 11/09/2009]
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

We must have posted at the same time, so I just now discovered your respond.

Fascinating article. I live in east central Illinois and the article is about Peoria. I guess the beetles do play in Peoria!!

I had no idea that they can hibernate in your house during the winter.

[This Message was Edited on 11/10/2009]
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Jean wins, IMHO, the icon contest. But winning can be a two-edged sword. Someone
    who creates an icon might get beheaded in some countries. (Just speaking
    generally, Jean. Don't get annoyed and bit my head off.) SOL (Smiling
    out loud.)

My constitutional law Professor said 40 years ago that when the govt. does
    something, it usually achieves the opposite of what it intended. Certainly
    the case w/ the Asian beetles.

So we see that once again, Gap, the thread has come unraveled and wandered afar.

Couples years ago we had an office pot luck for Halloween. There were no
    prizes awarded, but everyone agreed the 3 year old in the lady bug costume
    was the cutest.

8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Where is Victoria's site? I want to see if she has one of a conga line.

I just remembered that my first grandchild was a ladybug on her first Halloween. Maybe I will try and upload the picture. She is now three and no one would recognize her though I could put a black rectangle over her eyes, LOL!!

Wouldn't it be nice if we could put pictures maybe even videos in our posts?

Now I have to go find those ladybugs who are hibernating in my house waiting to come out next year.

9. Straightarrow

Straightarrow New Member

Is this what your town looks like? This is not my town, but in Colorado.

10. victoria

victoria New Member

Am I on your 'ignore' list?

My post with that website is the first response to your initial post...

all the best,

11. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Unfortunately you and a few others magically appeared on my ignore list when the board changed. I had been trying to get them off and then kind of forgot about it. I don't remember pressing the ignore button on anyone and there is no pattern as to who is on the list.

Please don't take it personally. You were selected at random from some unseen force. Maybe this means you will win the lottery, LOL!!

I can see your posts if I am not logged in but not if I am logged in. Go figure.

Sorry and thanks as I had forgotten about this. I am going to try again. Any suggestions?

ETA I must have been answering your posts from another poster on the same thread. Oh, this is so complicated.

12. victoria

victoria New Member

Maybe tech support can help, have you written them?

FibroFay was having some real problems, only able to post on this board thru her profile page... I don't really understand it... but I think tech support fixed it.

They also helped me when I couldn't post a new profile pic. What's really weird is everyone else can see it but me, I still just see my old profile pic. Go figure!

all the best,
  13. victoria

victoria New Member

Tech support is working hard I guess to fix the bugs (too bad they can't help with the 'ladybugs'!)-- so that's good news. I finally can actually see my new profile photo myself!!!! Not sure when that happened, since I quit looking after a few days.

But Tech Support always seems to ride to the rescue in any case!

[This Message was Edited on 11/11/2009]
  14. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

They are gone!~ Suddenly yesterday I realized that they weren't here! There is a loner once in a great while but what a relief not to have them all around.

gentle hugs,

15. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Same here!!

It got colder the night before last, down to almost freezing.

Also, maintenance finally got rid of all the leaves. This year they decided to wait until all the leaves were down, probably to save money I did received a nice email from management that raking your own leaves is healthy exercise and a fun family activity. Right.

There was a line of piled leaves near the curbs winding down the street and some looked like they were at least five feet tall.

So I don't know if this helped, but they are gone and I was not about to go with them, LOL!!