The Labs Weren't Normal

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, Apr 29, 2009.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

My doctor's office called me today. They said my labs were not normal at all and they couldn't believe the hospital told me they were last week.

My white cell count is high, my thyroid antibodies are high, my TSH is high. Everything is off. I'm waiting to hear on the thyroid sonogram I did yesterday. It hurt alot. My thyroid and the glands are killing me.

The doc's office said when I come in for my appointment, which isn't for a few weeks, since they are insanely booked up, they will be giving me a thyroid hormone. And I will be fighting for Armor or any other one that has more than just T3 in it. There's a few that have T4.

So basically, I'm now waiting to hear if I have thyroid cancer. Which I'm praying I don't. I don't know if anything will show on the sonogram, but it did sound like it beeped on the right side, the side that is hurting me more and the tech asked me how soon I'm going to back to the doc. It could be benign. I don't get a feeling of impending doom or anything. I'm just in pain, feel like I'm being strangled and have a fever.

So, while I'm waiting to hear if I have thyroid cancer, my idiot relatives who refuse to believe our illness exists, asked me when I'll be getting off my butt and going back to school or getting a job. It's just unreal. Here I am in pain, fevered and very ill and I'm scared of what's going to happen and I'm getting asked this stupid stuff again. I swear if I was dead, they would ask my tombstone when I'll be working again. Gee, if I've been on disability for eighteen years for immune dysfunction, I seriously doubt I'll be working anytime soon. UGH!

So, anyway, hospitals and docs need to stop telling people their labs are normal when they aren't. It's not right.
  2. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Is this the new doctor that you were going to recently? ( I hope I have this right~ darn fibro

It sounds like they are trying to help you which is great news.

Is the doctor supposed to call you with the sonogram results?

Just a thought but maybe you could ask the doctor's office
    if they have anyone cancel an appt if maybe you could get in sooner~ just a thought.

Don't worry about your relatives right now~ easier said than done I know. I have my
    share of relatives that don't understand or try to understand .

Keep us posted.

I will keep you in my prayers . Gentle hugs, Susan
  3. shelbo

shelbo New Member

clear of cancer...try not to panic just yet...there are probably many reasons, apart from cancer, that could explain it..
    Keep us posted... You're in my prayers. Shelbo
  4. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Yes, this is the new doc. She's so booked up because she's so good. If the sonogram is bad, they will probably take me sooner. If it's not showing anything more than just enlargement, they'll probably still make me wait. She's really very good. I have an echocardiogram to do in the morning. She wants to see how bad the left ventricle has gotten from our lovely disease.

I just wish something helped this pain. It really hurts. NSAIDS aren't doing it.

Shelbo, thanks.
  5. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Dang your relatives are mean. I'm so sorry. They are clueless and you deserve support. I suggest getting off the phone as quickly as possible if you're not able to cut them off. Tell them you don't feel well and can't talk. ;)

I pray you don't have cancer. It's interesting that your doctor reads the test results so differently from the hospital. I know that's par for the course but it's so strange. It makes the hospital look incompetent.

Hugs and try not to worry,
  6. Heald

Heald New Member

Please be encouraged! You've made this far for 18 years, God is not about to leave you now. People really don't understand on illness, they think you should feel better after a couple of weeks because they do. Hang in there and calm down and take care of yourself, that's whats important.

7. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

hasimoto if the antibodies are high...while that's not great, it's better than cancer and is treatable....also I think that most of the thyroid meds actually do have T4, but most do not have T3 as well....Armour does have both....the reason that some people have problems with the T4 alone is that the body has to convert it to T3 and some people have problems doing this....selenium can help with this problem, though...the problem with T3 in a med is that it's hard to get an accurate dose and it also breaks down quickly (so it has a very short shelf life)....personally, I still think that Armour is the better choice, but I wanted you to know the possible drawbacks, as well

anyway, I am praying that you don't have cancer and I am so glad you found a good Dr
  8. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Keep us posted on the echocardiogram tomorrow morning. :)

gentle hugs and prayers, Susan
  9. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

The echocardiogram didn't go well because I got a bad tech. First she mixed up that I have HypOtension with HypErtension. And she refused to fix it on the papers. The papers I came in with from the doc had it correct and clearly stated that I have HypO, but this moron said she had down HypErtension and refused to call my doc and fix it, not even with the paper right in front of her face. She said she couldn't be placed on hold. And that she would write something down so my insurance would still pay for the test, but she wasn't sure they would?! And I was getting mad. I think they will, I don't see why my insurance wouldn't pay for it. It's not my fault she wrote the wrong thing and the spelling is so similar that I'm sure they'll be understanding that she got it wrong.

So then, she asked me how they found the weakening of the left ventricle in me. And I said, the last time I had this test, that's how. She never heard of it! OMG, what an idiot she was.

So she does the test, keeps dropping things on the keyboard and can't find the chambers of my heart half the time and in general is just messing up all over the place.

She told me I'm lucky I can't work. Really? I didn't know it was lucky to lose all your friends, family, the ability to have kids, and the ability to work. Since when? Yeah, it's a real laugh riot to watch your life taken from you a piece at a time.

She pushed too hard with the paddle and hurt me alot on the test. And then finally, it was done. And I asked again if she would call my doc and straighten out her mix up on my papers with the hyper. I said I have never been diagnosed with hypertension in my life. It's Hypo. And it's right on the paper I came in with. She refused to call the doc and said she wrote something on my paper so that the insurance should still pay for it, but she wasn't sure. And that was it.

If the insurance won't pay for it, I will explain to them that she had it written down wrong. If they still won't pay, I'll stick it in my bankruptcy that I'm doing at the end of the summer. But it just annoys me. And now my doc will get the results back and they probably won't even be accurate since this tech didn't seem to know what she was doing. She even said to me that she didn't see a problem with the left ventricle. It's there. I already have the diagnosis of it and I've been getting chest pain for three years. Just unreal.

So that was my day. I came home, ate something too fattening and went to sleep.
  10. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Oh no someone needs to fire that tech on the spot!

It's just not right that they have people that don't know what they are doing running
    these tests.

Maybe you should have asked her if she would trade places with you~ you can
    work and she can have this dd, she wouldn't last a day .

Sounds like a good day for some chocolate or ice cream. smile

keep us posted

sending gentle hugs and prayers your way, Susan
  11. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

With thyroid pain, fever & high white cell count, I would be thinking more along the lines of acute thyroiditis -- essentially an infection affecting the thyroid gland. Thyroiditis is not common. It can cause increased thyroid antibodies & increased TSH. Often, only one lobe of the thyroid gland is involved.

Of course, it could be something much more serious. But I'm hoping you've got the highly treatable -- though painful -- disorder called acute thyroiditis.

Usually a thyroid cancer diagnosis would require, at the minimum, further testing including fine needle aspiration of the gland, a sort of needle biopsy.

In fact, if I were in your shoes & my doc started talking RAI or surgery, I would insist he first rule out acute thyroiditis.

Best wishes.
  12. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I'm so sorry you had to go through that with your echocardiogram. It's crazy and inexcusable. You've got a lot on your plate, to put it mildly - keep us posted and I'll say a prayer for you-