The LAST STRAW!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LollieBoo, Sep 15, 2005.

1. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

Okay, I give up- I am at wit's end with the Rheumatologist I (was) seeing- who BTW, I was told treats "Auto-Immune Diseases" and that there is no one who really specializes in FM.
    I was prescribed Tramadol for my intense and continuous pain and I asked for a PT consult, to avoid becoming too dependent on meds. I called my doc back and said the pain was too much and that I wanted to stay on the tramadol, as I expected its effects to get better w/ time and was hopeful that my new TENS machine would help, so she said to take 6/day instead of the 4 originally prescribed for the time being. Okay, done.
    Now, today, I went to refill the script and was told my pharmacy couldn't until Sat., b/c according to the script, that's when I SHOULD run out. Okay, misunderstanding-
    So, I called dr office and explained the situation and that the pharmacy just needed the dr to call and verify that she'd changed the original script. No problem! They said, have them fax the request and we'll get it taken care of immediately- that was at 1:00 this afternoon. At 5:15, my hubby called to say the pharmacy had faxed the request and rec'd no reply- and the dr. office was closed. Nice. I'm in the middle of a flare and no pain meds thanks to dr nasty-nurses.
    All right, I'm done venting, but I'm still NOT HAPPY!
    Thanks!
    Lollie
    [This Message was Edited on 09/15/2005]
  2. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

How did you cope? I have a 10 yr. old now doing his homework and a 2 yr. old and 1 yr. old that want attention and I can barely function.
    Thanks for your support- that's why I'm here!
    -Lollie
  3. orachel

orachel New Member

Tramadol if I could. I'm not getting much effect from them, anyway. Just increased to 100mgs when needed, but can only take 400 daily...it is not cutting it for me, period.

And my suggestion...have a serious discussion with your doc about this. Sounds like an office staff issue, not a dr issue, and I know bc my PCP staff nurses are evil!!!! Won't respond for DAYS on end. Anyway, doc needs to know what they did, and also what pain and flared up symptoms his staff's incompetence caused you! I hope you feel better!

If you're willing or able to get back to the drug store, grab some over the counter THERA-GESIC (max strength). Its just a rub on, but VERY VERY effective especially if you get the deep muscle/joint feeling pain like I do. Give it a whirl...costs like $6, and worth 10x that, in my opinion. Might help you thru the worst of it. You're gonna smell like a giant peppermint, though!

Gentle hugs...
    Rachel
  4. orachel

orachel New Member

kids in front of TV, or letting TV be babysitter, but this is clearly an emergency! Tell the 10 yr old you love him/her, but you're having a rough day and perhaps need some help after homeworks done.

Then put in a Telletubbie video, or Bob the Builder, or Blues Clues, or whatever. Order a pizza. Hope that helps!
  5. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

Thanks again, Rachel-
    Really, they haven't been cutting it for me, either, but in my constant quest to take as little medication as possible, I try to remain as optimistic as possible. Even taking 6/ day (300 mg.), I had only moderate relief... oh well, we'll see. I think I'll check the medicine cabinet for some alternative for tonight. I had quit taking Vicodin so I could start the Tramadol- maybe I still have some.
  6. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I've heard it was pretty good
    [This Message was Edited on 10/04/2005]
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

When a doctor changes the amount of a med that I am supposed to take, the VERY FIRST THING THAT I SAY TO HIM/HER IS:

"OK, doc, if I up this med to 6/day, instead of 4/day, that means that I am going to run short on pills and will run out before my ins. co. allows me to refill them, UNLESS you call the pharmacy and modify/change my prescription on file to reflect the new instructions. Can you call CVS Pharmacy and tell them the new instructions? I'll give the phone number to your nurse."

You make this mistake ONLY ONCE, and then you never let it happen again--by mentioning this to your doc THE VERY SECOND he/she gets through telling you to take additional pills!!

Since I started doing this, I have never had any more problems.

Janet
  8. Mother_Margaret

Mother_Margaret New Member

... for the pain to be so intense.

and good idea to not take strong medications

Have you considered the glyconutrients?

They seem to offer the best hope for help ... per recent trials.

www.valdezlink.com/pages/foryourdoctor.htm

Some explanation at page bottom.

I'd do the questionnaire, too, and see whether or not you should consider exposures to 2-butoxyethanol (in many paints and cleaning products) as contributing to this situation
  9. jana15

jana15 New Member

but hopefully by the time you get this reply you'll be well stocked up again.

So far I have been able to avoid this problem (thankfully)by using just one pharmacy, who now know me, my condition and my dr very well.I always make sure to leave my repeat scripts with them and when ever I run out of a med or need something stronger which I've had before but may not even have a current script for, they will give me some and then they'll ring my dr and get her to fax over a back dated script. They are a wonderful support and one of the reasons we still live in this community (despite the freezing cold winter!) Perhaps you could brooch the subject with your dr and pharmacy to seel what type of emergency procedures they can put in place for you.

Cheers Jana

Ps: I would love to babysit your cherubs for you! but I'm afraid I may be a tad too far away being here in Canberra, Australia :)
  10. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

Here's what I did:
    I took a hot epsom salt and cayenne/ginger/mustard powder bath (I didn't get the post about Mikies bath until this am, so i'll have to check it out.), moved my TENS machine all around to wherever was crying out the loudest on my body and took my one Vicodin in the evening, around 7:30, then took Tylenol ES (2) every 3-4 hours, meditated, did my relaxation/breathing routine, and took my 4mg. Zanaflex, my one last Vicodin, and crossed my fingers, then went to bed. And then I ached and hurt all night! I had muscle spasms and twitching in spite of the Muscle Relaxer, a headache that made me want to cry and then finally, around 2 am, I got up, took 2 Benadryl, .25 mg. of Xanax and went back to bed. I know I didn't sleep well, but all I remember is that I woke up to my husband saying, "Here, take this- it's your Tramadol," and he had taken the girls to his mother's gotten our son off to school and gone and filled my prescription- I was so relieved! I took the Tramadol and went back to sleep for a while. I made it! I'm still in pain, but at least I can move somewhat reasonably.

Our local pharmacy is great- they know me well and they are very obliging- even having come in on off hours to fill a prescription called in late (like 9 pm-late!). They tried to call the drs office, but couldn't reach anyone, and left a msg. They tried to call me at home, but I had been at dr appt. and therapy. I will certainly be sure to remind any doc changing my scripts verbally to me to call the pharmacy as well- like you said, this will only happen to me once!

Jana- my kids would LOVE to come to Australia to have you watch them! My son (the 10-year old) especially- I think he would move in with you permanently if you'd let him in! He is fascinated with Australia... My husband and I have agreed that when we are ever able to take a BIG trip with our family, that's where we're going! Thanks so much! My hubby was great last night, though- he handled the baths and supper- kept reminding the girls not to be too rough with Mama (and not to lean on my TENS electrodes!). We had the girls in bed by 8:30.

You are all so wonderful to be able to turn to. I have only been posting for a few days, but you guys are my rock. Already I know that if I turn to you, I get the reassurances that I need, wonderful insights and ideas, and that, in turn makes me less "needy" toward my hubby- which makes me feel more "normal".

Thank YOU!

[This Message was Edited on 09/16/2005]
  11. orachel

orachel New Member

You're so clever! ;) That's exactly how I feel...the support I get here is SO amazing not only bc you guys are all so helpful and understanding, etc, but because my poor Wonder Husband has been getting the full "brunt" of my Uber-neediness for 3.5 months now! Poor guy works like a champ, then has to deal with all my issues? Nuh-uh! So that's one of the reasons I'm here so much...get it all outa my system before Hubby comes home.

And so glad you feel better. And hey...did you know you can take up to 400 mg of Tramadol safely every day? Check with your doc. Mine just upped my dosage, so I can take 2 50mg ultram each 6 hrs...Not working that great yet, but I'm hopeful! Sound like you have a Wonder Husband, too!!!
    Rachel
  12. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

He's a "Wonder-Daddy" as well. He doesn't get it all the time, and I often end up being demanding and insisting that he do what I need. It's rough for both of us sometimes, but he is learning what I need and accomodating me as best he can. THAT makes him a Wonder-Husband. He deserves to have the wife he married. He deserves to have a healthy, vital woman standing by his side and I want to be that for him.
  13. orachel

orachel New Member

But all we can do is the best we can do...take care of ourselves, work hard to understand this, and do everythng possible to become stronger and more "capable" wives.

It breaks my heart that my husband fell in love with me...then got the added benefit of this DD to contend with. Makes me feel like a totally different person sometimes....but good to know I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Rachel
  14. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

Isn't it a shame how the gov't controls our healthcare, but won't PAY for it? They want to make decisions (like what meds to make available)that they just aren't qualified to make... $$$ is NOT the bottom line!
  15. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

Our nation's government tries so hard to be a leader in commerce and big business, but the healthcare system is in the tank and nobody will fix it. I don't know why it would even make sense to say someone has to put any foreign substance (even if it is a "medication") into their body for 30 days before they decide if it works. It might make sense with a medication that develops cumulative effects, but not a sleep medicine! How can that help your health?

In solidarity,
    Lollie

p.s. I hope you sleep tight soon!