The latest in our woes.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lighthouselady, Dec 12, 2005.

1. lighthouselady

lighthouselady New Member

Hi All, It's been a long time since I have posted. Since that time, I lost my job of 25 years as a medical transcriptionist because I couldn't meet their "production standards". I am suffering now from Dequervain's tendinitis (thumb). This was caused by trying to make my lines and type faster. Hummph! My so called union didn't really help much, except to help me out the door. I was given the chance to voluntary layoff or be terminated, I took the layoff for the unemployment benefits.

At the same time that all that happened, my husband was readying for a AAA surgery at the Cleveland Clinic. Being 74 and a smoker for 60 years, they wanted cardiac clearance. By the time they did a stress test, then a cardiac catheterization, they found 4 blocked arteries and a leaky valve. Within 2 weeks we were back at the Cleveland Clinic and they did a triple bypass and valve replacement. That was 3 weeks ago. After a week up there and 2 weeks at home I'm tired. He came home on oxygen which we didn't expect, they tell us it should be only temporary, we are hoping & praying for that.

I guess God knew the plan when I lost my job because I am his sole caregiver and I couldn't have managed any of this if I had been working. I just feel blessed to still have him around, the consequences of doing nothing about the blockages could have been tragic. We had a lot of support from our family & friends. Couldn't have done it without them.

Please keep us in your prayers, luckily I have been able to keep the pain of the fibro at a minimal roar, God has granted me much inner strength I wasn't really sure I had. Sorry this is so long, I just need to get it all off my chest.

Thanks, Judy
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

Well, Judy, it seems as Christmas has come early for you. He was with your husband through this serious surgery and delivered him back to you safely. At your DH's age and being a long-time smoker, I am sure that he was definitely a high-risk candidate for surgery.

I am so thankful to hear that he is OK and that you both are back home.

I hate to hear that you lost your job of 25 years, but, as you know see, I guess there was a reason.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

I hope you will be able to rest up before the holidays and that your DH will feel like celebrating, too!

Wish your DH a speedy recovery for me.

Holiday Hugs,
    Janet
  3. Muddieanne

Muddieanne New Member

Best wishes for recovery for your husband. Remember to take care of yourself as you care for him.

Merry Christmas to both of you. Marie
  4. lighthouselady

Thanks for all your good thoughts and prayers. His latest checkup went well except for some pleural effusion and we're working on that now.

Judy
  5. lighthouselady

Thought I would update you all, my husband went back in the hospital on 12/26. The pleural effusion was getting worse and his breathing was getting worse. They tried Lasix for a day & a half but seeing as he only has one kidney, they didn't want to push it too much. On Wednesday by thoracentesis, they took nearly 2 liters off the right side and 1 liter today on the left. He's breathing a lot better, still on oxygen but hopefully will come home tomorrow. Thanks for all the prayers, it'll take me a week to recover again.

Judy
    [This Message was Edited on 12/29/2005]