The Little town in So Cal where I used to live...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wish_to_be_healthy, Jan 12, 2007.

1. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

CA Dreamin' today...Redlands was beautiful in the winter...

I miss it very much today...A YouTube Video of Redlands, CA:

2. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Very pretty pictures! I live in Riverside county, Temecula. I have not been to Redlands, even though it is pretty close to me. I did not realize how pretty it is. Are there a lot of new structures and new parks, like here in Temecula?

I also really enjoy the weather. It does get overly hot sometimes in the summer, but overall it is pretty nice. Love the beautiful wineries. I like the fact that we can go to the local mountains and stay in a cabin with snow during the winter, but not have it on the ground all the time in the city. Although, once in a while would be nice. How long did you live in Redlands? Hope you are having a good day! Kim :)
  3. wish_to_be_healthy

I lived in Redlands for 8 years, been back to Mpls 2 1/2 years...

Yes, there are new structures in Redlands...replacing the orange groves...that's kind of sad.

There is good to each place, and some things that aren't so good...There are days I wish I was out there...there are days I am glad to be back here...

I hope someday to go back to So Cal.

While I was perusing YouTube I found a few videos with Semisonic's song "Closing Time" on them (Semisonic is from Minneapolis...and that song reminds me of First Ave, where I used to work, and where I met my husband (he worked there also)the line "So gather up your jackets, move it to the exits"...reminds me of there, when we were closing for the night, and hurding people out the front doors.

(First Ave is the night club tha Price filmed Purple Rain in)

Anyway...the 1st time I heard "Closing Time", was drivng in Redlands, up one of those palm lined streets, and the band was talking about the song, and performed it in the studio...and was homesick for Minneapolis!!!

I came back to Mpls for a visit, and saw them play live at the Mill City Music Festival...That was incredable!

My husband and I would feel both ways, missing back here(Mpls, and the music culture we were in)and livng in Redlands, where we could afford to live our Ca Dream, and go play all over So Cal...

So getting back to the YouTube bit...I found Semisonic's video:

And then I found this video of Laguna Beach, where we would go tide pooling...spent my last beach visit there, just days before I moved back here...With "Closing Time" as the background music:

I kind of had a melancholic moment...I love both places...I miss there, when I'm here...I missed here, when I was there.

"Every new begining comes from some other begining's end"

Like I said, there is alot of great things in both places...and some things that aren't great...Like the -8 below 0 wind chill that we have right now ; )

[This Message was Edited on 01/12/2007]
  4. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Good morning! I used to love to listen to Prince's old stuff, Purple Rain, Raspberry beret, 1999, etc. Haven't listened to much of his new stuff.

What did you and your husband do at First Ave.? I have never been to Minneapolis before. Yes, I am sure there are good things about both places. Do you have snow on the ground right now? It doesn't snow in Temecula, one light dusting of snow a couple of years ago. Just in the San Bernardino Mountains, as I am sure you know. Did you ever go to Big Bear to ski or anything? We go there and rent a cabin every year with the kids. Used to ski, but not anymore. Still enjoy going up there and playing in the snow with the kids.

Wow, you did say -8 below zero, I had to go back and check that. Well, I am sure you have snow on the ground. BRRRRR!! Hope you have a great day! Kim :)

5. wish_to_be_healthy

You got a dumping out there...The even showed it on the local news HERE...because weather in a BIG NEWS story here...anyone's weather; )

I did many jobs at First Ave...I will right more about it a little later...Both my husband and I had alot of jobs we did there.

I'm kind of tired right now.

I used to go skiing up at Big Bear...Only an hour's drive from Redlands...

On your way home, stop by Redlands...Charming little town...Marmalade Mansions...Drive up to Prospect Park,(On Orange street/Cajon and see Kimberly Crest...Beautiful...and you will have a beautiful vista of the mountains from there...Bring your camera!

Drive Olive street, and Highland (that's near Kiberly Crest)
    Lovely homes.

Talk to you later,

[This Message was Edited on 01/13/2007]
  6. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Well, I am going to get online now and start hunting for a cabin to stay in for February in Big Bear. We used to stay in the same one every year, no longer available-Boo!

I always pictured Redlands as being more of a medium-sized city, not a town. I am going to ask my husband if he wants to stop there on our way home from Big Bear next month. Would love to see it, it looks very pretty. Thanks for the street names to drive, that will help.

Hope you got some rest. I am pretty tired myself. Trying to keep my kids entertained. I painted with my daughter today. My son is begging me to play basketball, the thought of running right now does not sound so good. Hopefully he will go with just shooting some baskets and playing "Horse" instead of an actual basketball game. Hope you had a nice day. Kim :)
  7. wish_to_be_healthy

When we moved there, it was 50, it is bigger than a small town...It has that small town feel...and compared to feel like a small town.

I have some acute crud on top of I am kind of hazy brained...You Know?

I will post more about First Ave...after this fever.

Talk to you later,

8. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Hope you are feeling better, do you have a fever due to a flare? I haven't been on the board much the past two days, been kind of tired. Hope your day went well. Kim :)
  9. wish_to_be_healthy

My temp is usually slightly lower, thyroid stuff I think...

So even 99.5 is hot when I'm normaly 97.0.

It has been coming in I'm on, then off...I think I am just so darn depressed to be feeling this sick, that I have been on, just to feel conected to the comunity...

I just looked at a DVD we did in CA when my little one was 2...It was hard to see me so active...I was sick there, but it was more one day on, one day resting...Since moving back home it has been a downward spiral in my health...9 month flare...and I wasn't doing so well before that.

Hard to take my limitations right now.

10. boltchik

boltchik New Member

I started a post and lost it-ugh!! So sorry you are feeling ill and depressed. I know what you mean, I look back at myself and think-I used to be a lot more fun!

Do you get fevers often? I used to get the sore throats and fevers, but they have subsided for now. I mostly have the fatique and pain from the fibro. No matter how much sleep I get, I never feel refreshed-blah!!

Do you have to stay in bed a lot? I feel very badly for those who are completely knocked out by this DD. Do you go for a while with some good days? I am able to do my daily routine, but I rest a great deal. I don't do things with friends as much as I used to, just too tired. But I try to go have fun sometimes, and I don't talk about it to anyone except the people on this board and my sister.

I hope you are feeling better tonight. Sending positive thoughts your way! Kim :)
  11. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

Love that song, when the DH & I were doing Karakoe Show's, that was our, "Closing" song. lol

Redlands has fond memories for me, as I dated, way back in the 60's a Guy that was going to College there.
    I was in Hi School in Long Beach, and the drive to see me, made it kind of hard to keep hanging out togeather.

I haven't been down that away for about 20 years, I imagine that they are Building a lot there too, just like they did, to Norco and Mira Loma, we lived there for awhile, it was as close to Country as we could get.

12. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Sounds like you have been a So. Cal. girl for a while. Used to have a boyfriend in Redondo Beach, grew up in So. Cal. so I know some of the Orange Co. area. I am in Riverside Co. now, Temecula. We moved here in '97 and it has grown sooo much. Too much, I think. But it is still very nice, and a lot of new construction, so it is very clean and nicely kept. I love the wineries also, very pretty.

I have never been to Redlands, but am thinking of checking it out on the way back from our Big Bear trip in February. Hope you are having a great day! Kim :)
  13. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

Yes I am a real So Ca Girl, only I'm a redhead and not blonde, lol.
    I grew up in the Long Beach area, but moved a lot as a kid, we lived in Noro and Corona, Mira Loma.
    Also lived in Chino, about a mile from the Prison.
    That was way back in the late 40's tho, lots of dirt roads and Truck Farming, which is what my Step dad did.

So I have seen the Growth, that has taken over all that Country side, that used to be great for Sunday drives with the family.

I was Friends/Mascot for a Frat. called, Phi Ro,
    (pronunced Pie row) and we spent a lot of time in Redondo, Hermosa, etc. It was back in the 60's and loads of fun, it's to crowded for me these day's.

I often kidd my DH that I have lived, or know someone who lives' in just about any town in So Ca. Heck at my age, that's not to hard, lol,.

Did you ever Surf? I was one of the girls that surfed at Huntington Beach , got huge Tumors on the Ovaries from that , so I had to quit.

Have you seen the Sunset's under Sunflowergirls post,
    I love the sunsets and the Sunrise's, I'm up for both these days, lol.