The Lounge 117

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by spacee, Jul 21, 2012.

1. spacee

spacee Member

Ok, I just have to warn you. If you want to dance, Rock started it over on
    the Porch. We are resting here :)

Carry on.....

Linda
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

on the meaning of life from vaudeville.

A little song; a little dance.
    A little seltzer in your pants.

Rock
  3. rockgor

I went to an Emotions Anonymous meeting yesterday. Or, more
    precisely, I went to the place where the meeting was held and
    talked to some old friends.

I started going to EA back in 1985. Went steadily except for
    a few years when I didn't have car. I stopped going a couple
    years ago 'cause I kept falling asleep during meetings.
    Just didn't have the necessary energy.

Gordon suggested I try again. Says I need at least some
    contact with people in addition to my computer friends.

When folks on the board talk about depression, I never
    tell them to go to EA, but I do tell them it helped me.

Linda, I saw Lawrence Welk on TV yesterday too. I guess
    we have the same TV set. Did you know that Lawrence had
    the most successful of all the big bands? A friend of mine
    said the reason for his success was that his band could
    play any type of music: swing, jazz, rock, pop, religious,
    etc.

I used to have lots of his records. Especially liked some of
    his singers like Nora Zimmer and Guy and Ralna (they were
    married) (to each other) and some guy w/ a name like
    Alan Dale. In my 43 years of collecting records, I only saw
    one record by him. And it was excellent. Then, of course, there were
    the lovely Lennon Sisters.

My dad seldom talked to me, but he did tell me this story.
    During the depression (the one in the 30s, not the one we
    are in now) my dad bought a suit in his home town (village)
    in Iowa. Paid a dollar down and was gonna pay a dollar
    a week. I think the suit cost ten-twelve dollars.

The next day he saw a a poster advertising Lawrence Welk and
    his band in nearby Decorah, He went back to the store and told the
    owner he just had to see Lawrence Welk so he wouldn't be able to
    make the payments.

The poor store owner, who was probably going broke, just
    sighed and said pay when you can.

I feel very close to Lawrence. He was also a poor boy of
    German descent from the Midwest, AND, he went to the
    MacPhail School of Music in Minneapolis. I used to
    live in Minneapolis. I actually drove by that school
    40 years later. So you can see that Lawrence and I
    were real close over the years.

Well, folks, that concludes the musical portion of our show.
    We'll be back after intermission with Bebop the Clown and
    Gunnar and Birgitte with their trained crow Blackie and
    Ole the wonder dog.

Rock
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The last Lounger thread cut off at exactly 30. Nice job!

Pam, that is so sad about the salon owner. I really try to savor each day I am given but, like a lot of us, it can be difficult when we are in flares. My DD's best friend died of an aortic disection, like John Ritter. There is nothing anyone can do. It's a time bomb waiting to go off and even if they had gotten her to the ER sooner, the outcome would have been the same. Yes, we all seem to be suffering from the heat and humidity. Yesterday was hot but no humidity. It was so nice. I think this heat and humidity is causing a dip in interest in housing sales. Interest rates are the lowest but banks don't want to lend so people have to almost pay cash nowadays. I think y'all have a great attitude about the situation but I still pray you sell at a good price. Otherwise, enjoy all the wonderful upgrades you have made.

Linda, wish I could let my hair grow long enough to tie it back but I look like a flousy or an old hippie with my hair long. It looks good short and, at least, it's off my neck. I'm laughing about your never seeing anyone you know. I asked Ilona if she wanted to go to Publix with me. She hesitated because she thought she looked horrible but she said, "Oh well, I never see anyone I know." Well, of course, she ran into a snooty friend of her best friend down here. The next time the woman saw her, she said, "You clean up nice." I don't think this woman is the sharpest knife in the drawer. I was buying a fern and this woman looked at it and asked what kind of blossom it would have. I said, "It's a fern." She said, "I heard you but what kind of blossom will it have." I said, "It won't; it's a fern." Geez!

Yes, it is interesting that your DIL and my DD are in the same nursing area. With my DD, it was the only job she could get out of nursing school. She found she is good at it and is now the head nurse at the facility. She is an RN but is taking online courses to get her BS in nursing. She wants to get some hospital experience but in the Denver area, they have cut down on nursing jobs, especially in hospitals. She will likely go on to get a graduate degree if she doesn't burn out. DSIL is busy teaching a night class in marketing at the local community college, in addition to his job. They don't have a minute. Poor kids. They are getting over their friend's death a bit. At least, it's not so raw. If I get up on ladder, I'll put pillows on the floor :) I certainly have enough of them on the bed. Like most of us, I like to make my own little comfortable nest in my bed.

Rock, is that a seltzer bottle in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? Sorry, couldn't resist. I grew up watching old vaudeville and slapstick humor on TV as a kid. I loved the Three Stooges, Marx Brothers, and Soupy Sales. I was a bit of a hippie later and found Lawrence Welk a bit too sweet and clean; however, I did love that blond, Joanne something or other, who played honky tonk piano. She was unbelievable. Really talented. My ex inlaws loved that show. They went to dances and, even though they slow danced, like the fox trot, those people could move! They danced around in a circle on the dance floor, like everyone else, kinda like a skating rink. That was a workout!

I don't want to jinx things but I woke up feeling better than I have in a long time. It might be because I'm back on the Acyclovir or just that I'm healing. Don't know, don't care. I just hope it keeps up. I did manage to get to the store yesterday. I spent $50 (used to be only $25) so I was eligible to buy the Shell $50 gas card for $40. My friends still go to Costco to save a few pennies per gallon. Yes, Shell is a few pennies more but I'm saving 20 percent at Shell. I also got a big bag of Meow Mix on sale for $3 off. Now that I feed the cats (and probably some racoons too) out on the balcony, I go through the stuff fast. Tweety will not eat inside. I have to put the food out. She's never been fed inside. She and Sylvester will drink cream inside but that's it. What strange little critters they are. I heard from a neighbor that Jeff got them, and Simon, high on fresh catnip and that they were hilarious.

Talked to both DD's this weekend. I thanked one for the Pajamagram and the other for the lovely flowers. Pajamagrams are such a luxury. It's not the pj's but the way they come wrapped with bath salts in a reusable bag trimmed in satin. I had picked up some jammie bottoms cheap on sale and put them on last night. I didn't realize they are bell bottoms. OMG! They look just like some bell bottoms I wore in the 70's. Blast from the past. They are comfortable and colorful and don't look too bad so I'm happy.

Other than my constant companion, exhaustion, my injection seems to be working. Sjogren's symptoms are gone. I still get about an hour of dry mouth after I take my BP pill but that's normal and not SS. My allergies appear to be MUCH better. The injections are supposed to help with them so am glad to see them go or, at least, improve. Thyroid is normal and, again, the shots are supposed to help with that (no more Synthroid). I think any pain is from the fall. It doesn't seem to be FMS--no tender points. So, if the exhaustion eventually goes away, it will appear that the treatment is a success. I hope so because I cannot afford to continue the injections past the one-year cutoff. Doc also has some kind of injection treatment for hormones which last ten months. If they are also $300, I don't know whether I can do them. He has had amazing results with them. The women have had all kinds of improvements and he doesn't know why--things like pain going away and increased energy. I may give them a try. I don't mind taking the pills but it would be nice to be able to retrain my system to make its own hormones. This doc is like some kind of wizard, a highly-trained and very intelligent wizard.

Sending love, hugs and prayers to everyone.

Love, Mikie
  5. jole

jole Member

The closest I ever got to the Welk bunch was watching them drive down the Blvd. in Wichita as we stood on the sidewalk. I so wanted to get a glimpse of the Lennon Sisters! I was in HS at the time. Didn't care much for the show...I was too much into the Beatles, Monkeys, Elvis, etc. at that time, but 'had to watch it when I was home 'cause there were no choices. I too enjoyed Joanne. Love good piano players.

Jam, our dads must have been related, although mine wasn't an alcoholic...he was just as abusive as one. I think you were raised a lot like I was.

Mikie, well, listen to you..lol. Glad to hear you're having a good day. Hope it continues for you.

Speaking of pianos, when we were kids, we had a player piano. I loved that old thing, but we were only allowed to use the rolls and watch it play once! Now, I'm not sure I ever understood the reasoning behind that....it was later sold for $50 (piano). Wish I had it. Those old pianos had a sound to them the newer ones can only dream of. My sister and I both play by ear. My sis was very good. That piano would honestly move when she played! If she heard a song once she could play it. She played in a piano bar in Missouri for awhile. I played well enough to entertain myself...lol.

6. spacee

spacee Member

Which is mainly all I feel I have left right now :) I loved The L. Welk show.
    Neat that your dad got to see him, Rock. I don't think he ever came to
    Alabama. But he did put on a show of all kinds of music. I preferred him
    way over Alfred Hichcock Presents. I think was the name of it. Boy, did
    that give me the frights but my parents thought we should watch it every
    week.

I loved I Love Lucy. We DVRed some of the episodes and it there is nothing
    else to watch, we will watch one. I never fail to laugh out loud at some
    point after all these years.

Jole, I always wished I could play the piano by ear. We had a $25 piano and
    had 3 years of lessons. But if you have no talent, you have no talent. But it
    was quite entertaining for myself. Loved it.

Rock, I totally love support groups. Birds of a feather...if you can find the
    right flock!

And, I'm glad too, Mikie, that the shots are working for you. I wonder when
    Pam gets down here if she and, maybe even her DD can go. The LDN seems
    to be helping my pain level. It's only been a couple of weeks but it seems
    like it's been a month. I can tell it is irritating my bladder already. That
    was the reason I had to stop it before. Hopefully, I can come up with something
    that will calm it down. I think I peed 20 times today. At this low dose, it
    isn't hurting thankfully.

I had my spa day today. Huz asked it I was going to have it since I was
    doing laundry. I told him that anything that had to do with water fit in the
    category :) (Then he feels better about watching sports all afternoon).
    At least he grills on Sunday. That is a treat to me.

I got the app on my phone called sklaket (I think). It tells you the temp of
    the weather and shows you an illustration of what you should wear. Like
    sunglasses, hat, umbrella...depending on the weather that day. I know I
    didn't need it but DS had it and I thought it was cute.

Love and hugs to all, Sleep well! I hope!!

Linda
  7. rockgor

Didn't do too much yesterday. Well, I never do. Ha Ha! But I did
    laundry. And Gordon and I went to 2 markets. The Asian and the not
    so Asian. I got zucchini for 39 cents a pound at the Asian market. Now
    all I have to do is remember to cook it. I'm always throwing out stuff
    because I forgot about it or it got buried in the fridge.

Linda, I went to Angry Birds not too long ago. Don't remember exactly
    what happened. I guess maybe I didn't understand the game Anyhoo
    the game and I did not bond.

Gordon and I often see Lucy early in the morning while he drinks his
    coffee and wakes up. The folks who keep making expensive films that
    do not succeed could start with the basis for Lucy's success. First
    you have a good script. After that, there are plenty of actors who can
    do a good job.

I read a novel years ago. The main character said her sister had gone
    crazy. She was huddled up in the bedroom watching Lucy. Didn't
    even know what year it was. Well, who would? Lucy has been on
    for more than 60 years.

Pam, you're right. We never know when our time is up. On the other
    hand, we know when it isn't. Glad you are keeping your kool (and
    your Kools too if ya smoke 'em) about selling the house.

There was a news item about roller coasters the other day. I looked on
    Youtube to see about Riverview, a famous amusement park for over
    60 years. It was in Chicago. I was there about 60 years ago.

Well, the Riverview videos led to some videos of abandoned parks
    and then to abandoned houses in cities like Detroit and Flint. You
    can buy houses in those places for a hundred bucks. But you wouldn't
    want to. They even have empty skyscrapers in the downtown. Uff-da!

Barry, big Hi! Miss ya. Come back when you feel up to it. We
    need another report on the living things (including Richard).

Freida, glad you enjoyed the numerous humor. Oops! I meant
    "humorous". The Brits spell humor with an extra vowel, you know.
    Reminds me of Camelot. "Those are the legal laws." Or the old
    song lyric, "But you forgot to remember." Are those bush
    babies still producing?

Hope ya feel a bit better today. You too, Mikie. BTW, it's a horse you
    get back on, not a ladder. Or maybe a bike. I always say, once you
    fall off a bike, you never forget how.

Could you hire someone to do the dusting way up high? I really
    hate to think of you back on that ladder. Maybe there's someone
    you could impose upon?

Jam, you're right about the alcoholic brain. The most effective treat-
    ment is repeated blows to the head. About 20 years ago, one of my
    brothers told me he used to dream about murdering our father. So
    I told this to my other brother who said the same thing. So that
    was a perfect 3 outta 3.

My mother called me back in the 80s to tell me dad had died.
    Insisted I come back to Minn. I, who am pretty much a Clark Kent
    kinda guy, asked: Are you crazy?! I said, "I'll tell you what to
    put on the tombstone: Lair, Bully, Drunk!"

She cried and told me to call my sister. I said, "I called her 2
    months ago. When I told her it was I, she hung up on me." Whole
    darn family was crazy including me.

Jole, that name Kindle just seems weird to me. Everytime I see it
    I think: bonfire. I find reading the computer screen is tiring, but
    lots of folks report they like their Kindle. I guess the font size
    is adjustable?

I just started a thriller by Linda Fairstein. I realized that I had read
    a book by her before. She's very good.

Oops. Better go before my post goes.

Rock
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Jam, sorry about your dad. Mine was MIA. He just up and left Mom and me when I was a baby and never looked back. He had a bimbo in the wings and, after the divorce from Mom, he married her and had two sons. They don't even know he was married before their mother or that they have a half-sister. I have no interest in telling them and, perhaps, destroying their memories of their father. Late in life, Mom married his brother who was nothing like him. So, I'm my own cousin. No, I don't sit on the porch playing dueling banjos :)

Jole, we had an antique player piano which I had to leave behind after my own divorce. We bought new rolls for it. We had to pump it, using foot pedals to keep it going. It could also be played manually. My ex, my one DD and I all play by ear. I recently bought a new electronic keyboard really cheap on closeout at Kohl's. I just haven't gotten around to playing it. I have a cheat book that shows which chords to play. I really should do it as I've heard it helps with the aging pea brain I have. Used to sing but can no longer carry a tune. I sing to the cats who aren't such tough critics.

Linda, I'm glad the LDN is helping but sorry it's irritating your bladder. When my IC has acted up, I drink water with lemon in it. I know it's counterintuitive but the lemon changes from acid to alkali in the body and is soothing to the bladder. It's better to use a straw to keep it off the teeth because it's still acidic in the mouth. Hoping and praying the LDN continues to help.

Rock, I'm sorry about your dad too. I think an awful lot of us are the walking wounded from what we went through as children. It's a tribute to all of us who have survived and thrived despite a rough start. It's also a tribute to all of us who live with these illnesses. We are strong people. I don't have a horse and my bike has a flat tire so guess I'll get up on the ladder. I actually didn't fall off of it; I tripped over it when I had it lying closed on its side on the floor. I throw out food which gets burried too. I hate to be wasteful and feel guilty about it. Wish I were wealthy enough to afford a cook.

Just got out of the tub for a soak with Epsom Salts. I threw on a new coat of nail polish to keep my pedi going another week. I'll need a sandblaster to remove it. Guess I'll get dressed and climb the beast to clean. I'll keep my phone handy in case and leave the front door unlocked for the paramedics, just in case. Actually, I do pretty well on ladders; it's just walking which is such a challenge for me. I never try to do it while chewing gum.

Barry and Leah, hope you guys are doing well.

Love, Mikie
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Jam, sorry about your dad. Mine was MIA. He just up and left Mom and me when I was a baby and never looked back. He had a bimbo in the wings and, after the divorce from Mom, he married her and had two sons. They don't even know he was married before their mother or that they have a half-sister. I have no interest in telling them and, perhaps, destroying their memories of their father. Late in life, Mom married his brother who was nothing like him. So, I'm my own cousin. No, I don't sit on the porch playing dueling banjos :)

Jole, we had an antique player piano which I had to leave behind after my own divorce. We bought new rolls for it. We had to pump it, using foot pedals to keep it going. It could also be played manually. My ex, my one DD and I all play by ear. I recently bought a new electronic keyboard really cheap on closeout at Kohl's. I just haven't gotten around to playing it. I have a cheat book that shows which chords to play. I really should do it as I've heard it helps with the aging pea brain I have. Used to sing but can no longer carry a tune. I sing to the cats who aren't such tough critics.

Linda, I'm glad the LDN is helping but sorry it's irritating your bladder. When my IC has acted up, I drink water with lemon in it. I know it's counterintuitive but the lemon changes from acid to alkali in the body and is soothing to the bladder. It's better to use a straw to keep it off the teeth because it's still acidic in the mouth. Hoping and praying the LDN continues to help.

Rock, I'm sorry about your dad too. I think an awful lot of us are the walking wounded from what we went through as children. It's a tribute to all of us who have survived and thrived despite a rough start. It's also a tribute to all of us who live with these illnesses. We are strong people. I don't have a horse and my bike has a flat tire so guess I'll get up on the ladder. I actually didn't fall off of it; I tripped over it when I had it lying closed on its side on the floor. I throw out food which gets burried too. I hate to be wasteful and feel guilty about it. Wish I were wealthy enough to afford a cook.

Just got out of the tub for a soak with Epsom Salts. I threw on a new coat of nail polish to keep my pedi going another week. I'll need a sandblaster to remove it. Guess I'll get dressed and climb the beast to clean. I'll keep my phone handy in case and leave the front door unlocked for the paramedics, just in case. Actually, I do pretty well on ladders; it's just walking which is such a challenge for me. I never try to do it while chewing gum.

Barry and Leah, hope you guys are doing well.

Love, Mikie
  10. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Gee we all had such well adjusted childhoods.Makes you wonder if there is such a thing.I watched Welk,mostly for the bubbles.They fascinated me.We had a player piano when I grew up.No lessons and no natural talent.I couldn't even play chopsticks but one of my sisters did.

I had leftover chic so I made potpies this morning.It took two wks. of gathering ingredients and thinking about making it but I got one done and enough filling in the freezer to make another.

Huz is going to tackle the broken outside water faucet today.Tomorrow we'll pick up DS used and emptied boxes so we can pack up garage,office and basement things a little at a time.Achy and drained today.

Pam

11. spacee

spacee Member

I never thought we would be called into action (packing) but we were. Ok,
    they had a good excuse, the step mom had accidentally passed on. Accidentally
    meaning, they were not expecting it the week of the 'move'.

Sometimes it happens when we aren't looking.

Ok, now I get it. Mikie tripped over the ladder on the floor, leaning against the
    counter. That explains everything. But I do wish there was someone you could
    'impose' on :) I know you will look out for yourself.

Trying a new thing. No ritalin. Guess what happens. After sleeping til 11am,
    I need a nap at 2pm. That really cuts into the day. Maybe I will try 1/2 tab.

The lemonade or rather lemon in the water is an excellent idea, Mikie. I had
    just been telling Huz about it turning alkaline. Duh! We have water, lemons
    and straws so I am good to go.

Tomorrow is teeth cleaning time. I get to meet the new dentist. Bless her
    heart, she has her whole life ahead of her to look in pp.'s mouths. From
    this end, it doesn't sound too good. Especially since they discovered the
    molecule that causes cavities and expect to have a mouthwash out in
    18 months. Oh,why didn't they have that when I was growing up?

Mikie is her own cousin. You've got some splaining to do. Oh, no, you already
    did!

Nite all! Hey to all who are not here!! I want to hear about the living too Barry
    and Leah!

Linda
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm on the East Coast and some of our members are on the West Coast. PH uses Pacific time because it's in Santa Barbara. So, it appears that I'm up in the middle of the night posting. Not me! I'm sound asleep. I've developed a sleep pattern I don't like. I get so drowsy about 7:00 p.m. or so and drop off. I wake up between 10:00 and 11:00 p.m. and take my Special K and my Cozaar for my BP/heart. I think I ended up taking the Special K twice by accident in my sleepy haze and slept in til 7:00 this morning, late for me. Unfortunately, my jaw is so sore and I have a headache. Don't think I'll make it to the condo mtg. this morning. I think that fall readjusted my jaws/bite and if I sleep on the side of my face, it hurts. Whine, whine, whine!

I did get up on the ladder yesterday without problems except I hit my infected knee on one of the steps. Yowee! That hurt! I had my phone in my pocket and the front door was unlocked. Never hurts to be prepared. I needn't have worried. I took all my pottery down on the diningroom side and washed it. Of course, no one else knows it because it's up so high. The pottery was so greasy and dirty that I had to do it. I also dusted the tops of the cabinets. Then, I dusted all the antiques and the tops of the cabinets on the other side over the stove.

I tried to cut a piece of crown molding and am having problems with my old manual mitre box. I don't need an expensive power mitre box but this little one is no longer viable. So, I'm going to Lowe's to check it out. I think the old saw on the one I have is dull but don't know whether I'm up to making all those cuts. I will check out the power mitre saws and if they are not that expensive, I may get one. Only problem is storage plus the fact that this project is likely the last one I'll need a mitre saw for. Of course, it can be used to make straight cuts too. I figure I can buy the saw for what I'd have to pay a handyman to put up the molding and I'll end up with a saw. I might even be able to sell it when I'm done. More on this exciting subject later.

Just got an e-mail from Barb and she has a brand new GGD, her first. Ilona has three GGS's. I'll be in my 80's when Andy graduates from college so I'm not holding my breath that I'll live to see a GGS or GGD, especially if he waits as long to have kids as my DD and SIL did. The benefits of waiting are that they are better equipped to deal with a kid than I was at 21. The drawback is that they are in their 40's trying to keep up with a 7 year old. My DD has FMS and Lyme and she is never really well. I'm just soooo happy for Barb. She's been through a lot these last few years so this is a wonderful thing for her.

I can't wait until Nov. when it cools down here and we are out on the balcony drinking coffee and having drinks in the afternoon. Barb wrote to say she is missing those good times too. Who knew that balcony was going to become the center of our lives down here, at least, for half the year. Poor Tweety keeps trying to get me to go out there with her. She doesn't understand where her adoring audience has gone. She gets frustrated and scratches my loveseat like a child acting out. I've sprayed it with Fabreze to repel her and I spray her with water.

Pam, I think it's smart to pack a little at a time. I'm sorry you feel so achey and drained. Take care of yourself and rest up. I went through a ton of packing tape when I last moved. Over the years, I've used that tape so much that I don't know how I ever did without it and the dispenser.

Yes, Jam, AA is a wonderful org. Alanon is also really important. I dated a recovering alcoholic but, unfortunately, he was what is known as a "dry drunk." He wasn't drinking but his personality was still one of not taking responsibility for his actions. Still, that's better than drinking. I went with him to an AA retreat and met a lot of wonderful people. His personality just wasn't what I was looking for and I broke it off with him.

Linda, good luck with adjusting the Ritilin dose. It's always something with our meds. I have a teeth cleaning on 8/6. I hate to go. I have a nice gentle hygienist which is absolutely a necessity for me. She's getting close to retirement and is only working part time now. I know I'll have to get used to a new one before too long. I can't use the other one there because she is Atilla the Hun once she gets into one's mouth with a pick. Shredded and bleeding gums are not my thing. Otherwise, she's a lovely person. That's exciting about the anticavity med coming. I had two small cavities for the first time in years last time. I'm sure it's because of the SS dry mouth.

I also want to hear from the MIA's. Prayers going up for all of us.

Love, Mikie
  13. bct

bct Well-Known Member

but my fingers are getting tired!

I Love Lucy. I guess everyone does but grinches. Anything light and funny is good for me. Richard is a big fan too. I also like the Honeymooners, Burns and Allen ?, and similar.

New food for me that I like a lot is quinoa. We got some made into a salad with carrots, red cabbage, and lemon zest from the local health food cafe/deli in town. Quinoa is a seed of a South American plant in the beet/spinach family.

Just finished lunch: fresh fruit salad with pineapple, cherries, and cantaloupe topped with yoghurt for me, and cottage cheese for he. I am no longer intimidated by fresh whole pineapples and have mastered the art of cutting them up. I do a pretty good job with Mangoes too (last week.) I am becoming good a pitting cherries too, but lose a lot to my mouth.

Animal life? HA! This morning I watched a doe, and two foxes wandering around the back yard. One of the foxes was just a pup. I've decided that they don't have rabies so will no longer be prepared to shoot them, for which I am profoundly grateful!

I spend a lot of time reading, often British mysteries by Reginald Hill, Ruth Rendell, and the like. In the evening usually watch a movie. I am exposed to lots of foreign and/or obscure films due to R's interest in cinema. He used to teach a college class in cinema. He has a web/blog site (The Movie Projector + Finch + google and ye shall find) upon which he spends a lot of time. He was recently contacted and thanked by two of William Wyler's offspring. Wyler was a well known movie director -- he directed Ben Hur.

Regards to all,
    Barry. (next time I'll talk flowers I think)
  14. jole

jole Member

We didn't go to movies when we were kids, but our school took us to that one, and it was wonderful! It amazes me when Rock talks of all the famous people (making me feel like the country bumpkin I am...lol), and now here you are doing it too, Barry!

Your salads sound wonderful, and are making me sooo hungry. We live 35 miles from a grocery store that has decent produce, so needless to say our fruits and veggies are sorely lacking in our diets. As a matter of fact, I've only had fresh pineapple a handful of times in my life. Love fruit salads...my mom was famous for them, as is my DIL. Never had quinoa.

Love your animal life. We have that in common. There have been sitings of mountain lions in our area, and no official would believe it. My hubby's first cousin got a picture of one he saw last week. I was walking in our yard a few days ago and we had a skunk about 10 feet from me. About half grown. The dog and our cats went right up to it, so it obviously has been around them quite a bit in the night when I wasn't looking.

I'm reading a really funny crazy murder mystery right now, called 'Calamity Jayne". Really has me laughing.

Not trying to slight the rest of you, but (of course) my DD called, and I'll lose this if I don't post. Be back later. Hugs to all...
  15. spacee

spacee Member

Thanks so much Barry for R's blogspot. I am amazed at how much he knows.
    Jole and I will be the 'country bumpkins' for our group :) But it is exciting
    to see what a true interest and love someone can have for the cinema.
    There were so many names of films that sounded familiar but I am sure
    I have never seen. Gee, there is a whole life, huz and I could have if he
    could just give up golf and stretch his taste in movies! Like that would
    happen..haha.

So a movie a nite. Really something to look forward too. And R did mention
    that he is a foodie too...so you two have very interesting lives. Plus the
    book reading.

Don't tell Leah but I am back to playing solitaire. I know, I know, it is pretty
    useless. What can I say.

Except my Attila the Hun was absent at the dental office. Which surprised me
    since I thought I had an app with HER. But, no, a sweet, young thing filled
    her place.

And, there is nothing like a small town for this subject to come up. MY
    dentist said "Remember when that dentist office was raided for giving out all
    those pain killers?" (Actually, I had missed it). But a man who was a former patient of THAT dentist was telling MY dentist about sitting in the dental chair and THAT dentist fell asleep on top of his chest. Now, that was a pretty nice way of
    saying THAT dentist passed out. MY dentist asked if he woke THAT dentist
    up and the man said, "No."

What? you let your dentist take a nap resting his head on your chest? There
    must be some manners for this. Personally, I think my elbow would have
    nudged him from his slumber.

I do hope you were able to follow that. I did have to wear my rifle range
    earphones. Sigh. What am I coming to? It isn't noise in the room I am in
    but the sounds in other rooms is so amplified! Ppl talking. Telling each other
    how to find things on eBay. Don't they have message boards like this to
    talk about ebay? :)

I mean if it had been something I was interested in on eBay, maybe that
    would have made the difference. But it was some kind of study guide for
    a person to go over nightly if they are taking Psychology medical exams.
    Hmm.

Ok, that is enough from this bumpkin. Mikie misses the winter Florida and
    I am enjoying the summer one with the rain. Everything looks so green
    and fresh. But I can certainly understand the lovely balconies in the winter
    time.

Hope you had a good talk with DD. Your post was saved! And we heard from
    you!! Hope Leah's puter gets fixed!

Nite, Nite,

Linda

16. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

I was going to go up shower and get dressed but huz asked me to turn the sprinkler off in about 15min. while he's at the dentist.Guess I have no choice but to loll around until he returns.My garden looks pretty pathetic this yr.Tomatoes look stunted as well as cukes.Maybe there's something to that showing your plants some love for them to grow.

I'm not a big movie buff either but I recognize most including actors.There are very few I would even rent much less go see now.

That was a crazy dentist story Linda.Who wouldn't get out of their chair and run as fast as you could to get out of there?

Went to DS house yesterday.Nice to see him settled in and he looks happy.It took a long time to get that last chick out of the nest.Wedding invitations were on the table along with decorating things.Offered to make whatever she needed but menu is still the same,shaking my head.Taco bar,chips,veg tray,creamed chic huz and I insisted on ordering and cupcakes.DS wanted maybe some sides but she over ruled him.Can't wait to get this over.

Like Jole I gotta run time to turn off sprinkler and get moving.
  17. jole

jole Member

Sound amazing similar, don't they? I was reading on an ALS forum so I can better understand everything my sis is going through right now, and on that site they had the ILADS website, so I switched to it. On the FM/CFS section they're still saying our illnesses (FM/CFS) are brought on by emotional/physical trauma. Sounds like it, listening to us.

Mikie, it's great that you were able to get your kitchen cabinets finished without any 'problems'. I know you've got to be proud of your accomplishment! Oh, thanks for explaining the times on our posts.

AA...my sis went for years when married to an alcoholic (he wouldn't go). She said it did her more good than any psychiatrist she'd seen. I think probably it would help all of us with all our childhood baggage, whether alcohol was involved or not. Rock, your EA group sounds interesting, and I suppose fairly similar?

Linda, can't believe THAT dentist actually had patients. Gives a new meaning to 'let's go take a nap together'. I use to say that to my kids when they were little.

Pam, what a menu. Actually sounds good, but a little messy for a wedding maybe. I'm sure there will be people who enjoy the change from traditional. But as a parent, I'd probably be hiding....lol.

Barry, our skunk is definitely keeping up with your fox. When I was out in the night last night, I heard this crunching noise coming from the cat food pan. Looked over the railing and around the corner to see which one was eating, and it was our skunk. I yelled at it, but it just looked at me and kept on eating. No wonder the cats/dog aren't concerned. It's probably been doing this since it was a baby.....lol. I'm not quite brave enough to get much closer though.

Leah, miss you! Hope you get your computer up and going soon. I know it's a huge part of your life, and you must be terribly lonely about now. It's definitely something we take for granted until it's not there anymore....and should be up at the top of our things to be thankful for, right?

BIL had his heart surgery today. He went in at 9:30. Was still in at 3:30. Haven't heard anything since 12:30, but assume no news is good news. He had a heart valve replaced, and bypasses done.

You're kidding!!!! Just got a severe thunderstorm watch text for here! Oh my gosh, how exciting! We haven't had rain in soooo long. Just looked out and there are clouds coming! :) Whoopie!! Talk later....hoping we're not disappointed! Hugs to all

18. spacee

spacee Member

Told twin about R's movie blog. Of course she is very interested in it. I can't
    figure it out. When she was in college, she saw something about an
    introduction to Art Class and thought, "I would really like to take that".

That would have never entered my mind. Yet, I have gone with her to about
    6 museums, enjoyed it very much and learned stuff.

Not these movies. If I had her around, I would really enjoy them. Someone
    to talk to about them, I guess is what it is.

We have a Train Depot in our town. I don't know one person who cares
    about it. Then, when at the dentist's office I spotted the local newspaper.
    And the article about the oldest and the youngest members of that Train
    Depot. One was born in Germany and came over at age 3. Had to go back
    for the war but eventually settled here. He has rigged all the trains to a
    motion device so they will come on with a person comes it (and off if they
    leave).

The 5 yo boy's parents are from Bangladesh. He LOVES trains. Goes to the
    Depot every week. Sleeps with a train in his hand. His father went home
    to B. and came back with so many trains from his relatives. So sweet.

Guess where my gkids are going when they come here! Gee, I thought
    the place had closed it looked so deserted. My bad.

R.seems like such a polite, gentleman. It would have been a pleasure to
    have taken his class. I can tell he does put a lot of work into his blog.
    Very interesting!!

Mikie, have you fallen, or gotten a shot or something. Hope all is well!!

I think the LDN might be doing something. Food seems more interesting.
    Oh, Fart Proudly came today. Just the title alone cracks me up.

Adios, my dear ones! Hope the ones who wanted rain, got it and the
    ones who have had enough, didnt't!!

Linda
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

In the Lounge.

Barry, I've heard that quinona is one of the best things we can eat. Very healthy. It's interesting how much wildlife so many of us seem to have around us. I don't even live in a rural area and we are teeming with wild critters. I have always loved movies. I vividly remember seeing "Singing In The Rain" when I was a kid. I loved the musicals. I also loved dramas and comedies. Today's movies rely, in many cases, on the special effects too much. I love the special effects but the story has to be good, unless I'm just vegging and am watching to distract myself from my misery.

Jole, a chef on Dr. Oz prepared healthy dishes from canned food. He said canned food is very healthy if nothing is added. He used canned salmon and chicken. I will eat canned pineapple if I don't have fresh around. I buy pineapple at Publix which is fresh, cored and peeled. Even with the special tool which does this, it's more work than I want to do. The price is the same for a whole pineapple or a prepared one. We had mountain lions in CO. I believe there are similar cats down here. We have FL panthers out in the wilds. They need an incredibly large hunting area. We've had skunks here too. Our cats seem to get along with all the critters except they won't let the racoon through the cat door in Jeff's lanai. Too funny. I did get the tops of the cabinets cleaned. I did OK on the ladder. Praying your BIL is doing well.

Linda, I was soooo tired yesterday and knew it was a day for vegging. I'm almost ashamed to say I watched both of the last "Harry Potter" movies. I stopped enjoying the whole HP thing when the story turned darker and darker. I did enjoy "American Wedding." I love the whole "American Pie" series. I know, no taste, no sophistication, but what can one expect from one whose primary category for laughs is for bathroom humor. I also play solitaire just to distract myself. I'm up to 13 percent win ratio. It's hard to get beyond that.

I'll bet that dentist used laughing gas in his practice. Even with a mask, a dentist will get it and after many exposures, it's bad for them. Dentists suffer the highest rate of suicide of all the major professionals. It's not that I don't enjoy what summer brings here, it's that I eventually get a bit tired of the heat and humidity. I miss being able to sit outside and I miss my friends who have gone North. I love trains, from the old pufferbellies to the sleek TGV trains in France. My Mom lived in North Platte, NE during WWII. She helped in the USO cantina made famous by Bob Green in his book, "Once Upon A Town." It was in the train station where troops were either coming or going during the war.

Pam, I'm glad DS is settling in. Geez, seems like everyone is going to the dentist. I know the menu seems strange but it appears as though anything goes today and the kids just do what they want. I think insisting on cup cakes was wise. Actually, it is trendy now to have cup cakes instead of a big cake which has to be cut.

Yesterday was one of those days when I knew I had to veg. Right now, when I'm messing around on a ladder, it's no time to take chances. I think that fall was worse than I first thought. No wonder the doc asked me why I didn't go to the ER. Still, what could they do? I just need to heal. I'm still dealing with fatigue and now, I have headaches, times of lightheadedness, and jaw pain. Oy! It'll just take time to heal. The infection appears to be gone on my knee but the redness is still angry looking and very tender. I hope this is the last project I do.

I decided to go to Lowe's and buy the power mitre saw. I'll get the least expensive one which will do the job. It won't cost any more, and probably less, than having a handyman do the job and when I'm done, I'll have a nice saw. You can make straight cuts with mitre saws too. Or, I can sell it. Someone here may want to borrow it. I've found a space for it in one of my walk-in closets. I'm returning the crown molding I bought and am going for a beefier look now that I'll be able to so easily make the cuts. I do think this is the last major (for me) improvement this place needs. Of course, there are plantation blinds to install but that's easy.

I've been invited to a girls'-only party tomorrow afternoon. We are suppoed to wear jewelry which has a story behind it. I have a necklace and earrings which we call my New Year's Miracle Jewelry. When I first moved down here, Barb and her husband, another couple, and a single male friend and I all went to the beach to ring in the New Year. We walked down the road to a bar for a drink. At the bar, I noticed that one of my earrings was gone. These were thin stamped sterling silver earrings fairly large in size and very dear to me. We decided to look for the earring on the way back. The sidewalk was so crowded that someone mentioned that we would likely never find the earring. I said, "St. Anthony will find it for me." I no more than utteredd that than several of us spied the earring being walked on. I leapt for it and picked it up. It was unscratched and undamaged, a miracle considering what it had been through. Now, all I have to do is figure out what dish to bring. That's always the hardest part.

Guess I'll figure out whether I'm up to showering and going to Lowe's or whether I need another boring day of loafing. I have nothing on the radar until I see the dentist and hygienist on the 6th. My dentist looks just like Wilford Brimley and if he ever went to sleep on my chest, I'd likely stop breathing.

Love to everyone and prayers that Leah gets her computer up and running. Guess Rock's is running OK. Mine is working but not right. I'm not sure how to fix it. I've tried a couple of things and nothing is working. Oy!

Love, Mikie

[This Message was Edited on 07/26/2012]
  20. jole

jole Member

For a bit we thought it was just a flock of birds going overhead and all doing their thing at once.....had forgotten what rain actually was. Unfortunately, it didn't last long, (just .15" ) but oh my, did it smell great! It was all totally evaporated by this morning though :(

A few hours before the rain, a lightening storm passed by, starting a fire 2-3 miles from us. I smelled the smoke and went out to see how close it was, and saw 'something' fly down the road. I swear 'it' was going 100 mph at the very least; couldn't see a vehicle, just dust. Called hubby, and he said it was one of the firefighters on his way to town for the firetruck...lol. They take their job very seriously here. Just glad no one was on the road at the same time! Took about 3 hours to get the fire out because the wind kept changing direction and would throw the fire to another area. It was in a pasture, surrounded by wheat stubble, then our fields. There were 4 fires within 20 miles yesterday.

I get amazed when watching the national news/weather stations that Ks. is always left out of the drought/fire situation, when in fact every county in Ks. is in the emergency status right now. Guess we don't exist.

Trains....my one SIL is a conductor in NE. Needless to say, they have a lot of scaled down models in their basement, plus tracks. Their kids love them, and can play for hours. Dad has taught them to have a lot of respect for them. Not a cheap hobby. He belongs to a train club, which is mostly engineers and conductors. I didn't know such things existed, but it's pretty interesting.

My GS graduates next month from the AF in San Antonio. We hope to go. I'm not sure if I can do it, but am determined to try. It's right by the Alamo, and close to Sea World. Son called yesterday and said he's looking into a wheelchair for me, and not to worry, 'cause he'll push me "if I trust him"...lol. The AF graduation is 4 days long, so different from the Army, which is 2 hours. They have a lot of activities and free time with the graduate. I'm sure most of my time will be in the motel, but hubby should be able to do a lot of it, and I can at least say I've gotten out of the state of Ks, state of isolation, state of confusion...well, probably not that.

Mikie, enoy your party. It sounds fun, and I loved the earring story. I have some nice jewelry that belonged to my mother which is really in style now, but never go anywhere to wear it. Never was a jewelry person though, but my oldest sis was the queen! Never watched anything on tv unless it sold jewelry, and was constantly buying, but couldn't pay her rent.

Enjoy you all, and miss Leah. Hugs...