The Makers Diet - Anyone doing it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Wolverine, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

Just re-reading 'The Makers Diet' by Jordan Rubin. I think I saw a post on here about it not long ago.. but can't find it for the life of me with my fogged brain. Perhaps I saw it on another board? If someone can point me to the thread would be appreciated. Otherwise tell your experiences with it here.

Thanks. ~Chris.
  2. brightsidedone

brightsidedone New Member

Chris, I am all for eating properly, although I hate taking vitamins because ultimately in the morning, I end up counting out far too many pills.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer last year and had surgery in Sept. I still have reconstruction to look forward to.

My husband is a sales person at heart and always has been. I cannot tell you how many diet plans he's come home with and how many of them were part of a network marketing program, that ultimately failed.

Recently, he brought "the hallelujiah diet" to me and basically implied that I caused my own cancer.

There is no one thing that will remove any ailement. It must be a combination of things. This is just my opinion. Maybe these things work for you.

I hope you find something that does. In my mind, ultimately it comes down to moderation, exercise and lifestyle.
  3. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

Thats no good, i hope they got rid of all the cancer!

The hallelujah diet is supposed to be great for cancer i've heard too. It's because it is mostly raw food with alot of greens conentrated in it. Thats not right in saying that, I dont think any one thing causes cancer, but a combination of todays toxic world, that is so hard to avoid.
  4. shelbo

shelbo New Member

there were too many supplements and I couldn't easily access the food stuff he rec'd..

I found this message here on the Maker's Diet... is it the post you mean?

Here's the link...

Hope it helps, Shelbo
  5. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

Thanks Shelbo.. that was the thread I had read a couple weeks ago. Generally diets that will really help dysbiosis help many chronic health conditions.

I know the supplements are expensive.. you can try a modified version though. If cant get all the supps, the diet is the main part anyway. Even keeping it basic - dont have to include all the fermented stuff etc.

6. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I was curious when I read this post so I just looked into this. I had to laugh when I read about the supplement the diet promotes from a reviewer for the book at Amazon:

"I had to consume lots of soil for a month and all it gave me was gas." ~lol

As far as the diet itself goes, I've already been on it for years, but it goes by other names like the Mediterranean Diet. If I don't eat like this I get much worse but it's not a cure for CFS or FMS.

7. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

Hi Tee..

Haha thats awesome. Funny how people word things sometimes :)

Yeah Primal defense is the probiotic - its not actually dirt, but it is soil based micro-organisms that apparently really strengthen the digestive system - Jordan Rubin himself has a pretty amazing story from using this stuff - he was nearly dead and became incredibly healthy curing crohns disease using it along with the diet.

So do you go low carb? I'll have to look up the Mediterranean diet as not familiar with it.
  8. debshomeed

debshomeed New Member

I started with the Maker's diet, (without the supplements they recommended as it was too expensive to get them here in Australia) but I took high strength probiotics called LB17 with it (instead of Soil Based Organisms). LB17 really brought me back from the brink of severe gastro issues including massive weightloss (and I was quite thin anyway).

I really like the Maker's diet however I had bloating issues with dairy, fruit and honey. My gastroenterologist said I may have a fructose/lactose/galactose intolerance issue so I stopped the yummy smoothies that Jordan Rubin said really built him up. I had the same issues even with goat's yoghurt and coconut milk.

So now I am basically on a low carbohydrate diet called the GAPs diet, avoiding all grains, starchy vegetables, legumes, dairy, most fruit (apart from the occasional berry) and sugars of any type. The bloating issue has disappeared and my gut feels much better.

I've only just slowly added a little bit of butter to my diet and it seems OK. The restrictiveness of this diet can be torturous but only because my family is eating normal foods. I am really hoping that eventually my gut will heal itself and that this will have a positive impact on my CFS.

Hope this helps

9. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

I see. Yeah agree the supps are too expensive. I have tried Primal Defense years ago but without a good enough diet. I did feel some gut benefits but not huge, as i probably needed stricter diet.

LB17 looks interesting. Another lactic acid probiotic. Have you tried Threelac or VSL#3? I have been considering these as they are extremely potent - specially VSL#3. I did try threelac years ago too, but i got such bad gut upset from it that I didnt continue more than a few days. Apparently it should be used in very small doses to introduce though, so I may try it again like that.

Same here I really can't tolerate dairy, even fully fermented etc which they say people should be able to tolerate. So yeah I too can't do the dairy part of it, and i'm assuming I'd get a better result with no fruit or honey either.

However, as you mention you are, im also very thin and lose weight easily. I have tried low carb before and it makes me feel awful, weak, shaky, hypoglycemic etc. Do you get these problems on low carb? I lose weight SO fast if i try it, so it's hard. I'm not sure I could do it without any carb. I could try for lower carb but not none.
  10. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I'm thin, lose weight quickly and feel crappy if I don't keep my blood glucose up too. Eating plenty of healthy fats will keep your weight up. Salmon, raw nuts and seeds, etc are good but be careful to not eat too many nuts since they are high in oxalates. I started having kidney stones 2 years ago from eating too many oxalates. Google oxalates to see other high oxalate foods.

I can't tolerate fermented dairy either. It causes me to get dark circles around my eyes.

I haven't looked at the Maker's Diet yet, but it's because of what Myhill says about CFS and hypoglycemia. She recommends the Paleo diet, as do others for blood glucose problems, but that alone didn't work totally for me. It did stop me from feeling crappy when I wake up in the morning though. And my vision isn't getting fuzzy when I exert myself now.

Via a blood test, I found out that I was low on chromium (you need this for blood glucose regulation) and have been supplementing for about 4 months now. It takes awhile to get these levels up. Oh and I still have to eat something sweet to get my blood glucose up. The candida diet is out of the question for me at this point ...

HTH .. Marcia
    [This Message was Edited on 03/14/2009]
  11. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

Have you ever heard of the Krimmel program (or diet)? I use to follow that, as the author is a sufferer of Addison's and hypoglycemia. It's been some years and I don't know that it's still around but it's not as drastic as low carb, and not a lose weight type diet, but for helping the adrenals and blood sugar. He didn't use supplements (perhaps one or two, can't recall) and the food was easy to eat/fix.

I think the book is called "the Low Blood Sugar Diet" (or Handbook).

I can't tolerate fermented dairy either (he did use a lot of yogurt which I could eat back then)...that started with me just about five years ago or so. I try to avoid dairy all the way around but can eat it now and then.

Take Care,
  12. debshomeed

debshomeed New Member

I do have problems in keeping my weight on this low carb diet and have not gained the weight back before the digestive issues hit. Sometimes I also feel hungry no matter how much I have eaten. I was always this way inclined since I was a child- perhaps I had malabsorption issues even back then?

I try to eat lots of fats however I have gallbladder issues as well which complicates matters. I find coconut oil the most easily digested and eat it by the spoonful. I also eat sprouted and dried nuts as snacks. I would eat more eggs if I could tolerate them but I find it sets off my gallbladder.

I do take digestive enzymes but find they haven't made a significant difference, and I am supposedly taking quite strong ones. Do you take digestive enzymes and have these made a difference?

I haven't tried Three-lac or VSL#3 though these are on my list to try at some stage. Symbion for Life is a similar probiotic to Three-lac and it supposedly has fewer die off reactions. Perhaps you could look into it and see if it agrees with you better.

I have tried OMX and was on this for a while, it seemed OK but not as good as LB17. I am taking Bio-kult at the moment but have not found it to be as good as OMX or LB17 for my gut. I actually found the LB17 quite expensive- there are only 60 capsules in a pack and I needed to take about 7 to 8 capsules a day to get relief from symptoms. So that is why I have been experimenting with other less expensive brands. However I feel I need to go back on to it as my BM's haven't been all that good lately.

I have read of people with serious gut issues taking VSL#3 and OMX at the same time. I wonder if this would make a significant difference (even though quite expensive)?

Sometimes the permutations and combinations of things to try makes my head swim.

13. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

You wrote: "I have tried low carb before and it makes me feel awful, weak, shaky, hypoglycemic etc. Do you get these problems on low carb?"

I once could handle a no-carb to very low-carb diet but I was doing much better then. Now I have the same problem you asked about so I've added back in good carbs which I believe are natural foods without a lot of additives.

I eat Sourdough bread from the healthfood store that only has a few ingredients and I found hot dog buns and hamburger buns that I can tolerate from there too. :)

The Mediterranean Diet is basically how the peoples around the Mediterranean eat. Mostly, fish, vegetables, yogurt, cheese, chicken, lamb, (turkey?) not sure but I eat that too, olives, olive oil, some home baked bread, a little fruit. I also eat nuts and seeds as these are packed with nutrients. I also eat some pork and organic beef once in awhile. I drink a little fruit juice in mineral water.

If I have to have ice-cream I stick with French Vanilla from Breyers as it's the closest to homemade ingredients-wise.

14. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Jordan Rubin was ordered by the FDA back in 2004 to stop making unsubstantiated health claims. His credentials do not have any legitimate academic or professional standing. His Naturopathic degree came from a non-accredited school with no campus. His PhD is from a non-accredited correspondence school that the State of Hawaii ordered closed in 2003. The owner died at the age of 40 of a stroke. His Certified Nutrition Certificate came from a school whose only requirement for "professional member" status was a payment of a $50 or $60 fee.

Rubin's first book, "Patient Heal Thyself " was pulled from the market by the FDA for unsubstantiated medical claims and false advertising.

The research which Rubin uses to back up his books and products and to which he claimed was published in a peer-reviewed journal, turned out in fact to be a "one time" special journal that was paid for by Rubin and his company, Garden of Life.
  15. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

Interesting Tiger. However.. his program, no matter what it is or isn't backed up with, has helped loads of people, and upon reading it, it runs parallel with alot of great solid nutritional info that is out there, like Weston A Price etc.

It sux about the credentials etc, but it doesnt mean the program is wrong / bad / doesn't work, cause ive talked to people who've really gotten well on it, and also gotten great benefits from the supplements. I do agree that the supps are too expensive, but they work for many. Pitty about the rest..