The Medical Reason for Pesticide Sensitivity

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by rockyjs, Feb 18, 2013.

1. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I recently got DNA testing done through 23andMe.com ($99). There is a plugin that you can use to look at your detoxification profile. It shows mutations called single nucleotide polymorphisms or SNPs that are occurring in the pathways that detoxify things like medications and pesticides. If you have these mutations, then your body can't break the chemicals down quickly enough and you basically have symptoms of poisoning at a much lower exposure amount than a normal person.

I came across an article today that talks about the significance of the enzymes in the detox pathway. Several of the defective genes that I have are mentioned in the article. It's so great to have the actual proof of the root cause of the chemical sensitivities rather than just saying, "That makes me sick."

Here's the article:

http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/12397/InTech-Do_cytochrome_p450_enzymes_contribute_to_the_metabolism_of_xenobiotics_in_human_.pdf

I would encourage all of you with chemical sensitivities to get the testing so that you have something concrete to show your doctor. Maybe some day they will quit saying it's all in our heads!

Jan

[This Message was Edited on 02/18/2013]
  2. IanH

IanH Active Member

are under direct vitamin D control. Many SNPs are also not necessarily a problem but are just a variation in genetics. Sometimes they can be a problem, especially when the epi-genetics is not working and the main cause for this in these enzymes is low vitamin D and incorrect methylation. That is a phenotype (symptom/problem) is not necessarily insurmountable.

Also, while some SNP's will account for some MCS symptoms, immune system variables account for a lot of the symptoms, which may or may not be the result of genetic variations but are often the result of environmental variables.

Read the work of Chiara de Luca, who is the foremost researcher in MCS.
  3. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Ian, it did take some time to study the various SNPs and determine if they had any clinical significance. Fortunately there were many articles on PubMed that referred to specific mutations and the impact (as you mentioned, sometimes there is no impact).

As for the vitamin D and methylation, that is absolutely crucial for me. I also have two vitamin D receptor mutations which affect my body's ability to handle supplements (I get very ill and can get hypercalcemia, and yet my 25 and 1,25 levels are low). I was finally able to get around that in the winter months by using a vitamin D sunlamp.

I have several methylation pathway SNPs that affect sulfur metabolism in particular. Riboflavin-5-Phosphate has really helped with that. I use other supplements for support, also.

It took me years of experimentation to find the right combination of supplements and avoidance of triggers to have a somewhat normal life. What is great about the testing is that now I have the accepted objective scientific evidence to back up the subjective empirical evidence. There were really no surprises, just confirmations.

Dr. Le Luca's paper on biomarkers for MCS is excellent. He specifically members the enzymes that showed up as altered in my testing (CYP, NAT, GST, etc). I'm sure the general "healthy" population would have many of the polymorphisms, but when you start seeing multiple pathway disturbances across several detox platforms, then I think it makes a perfect storm and MCS is often the result. Neither of my parents had MCS - it took the combination of genetic input and toxic environmental exposures to have a drastic effect on my health.

Jan
  4. IanH

IanH Active Member

Thank you for explaining. I appreciate that. I am sorry to hear that you have those SNPs and MCS which can be so devastating with little medical support or understanding. I was particularly interested in the riboflavin-5-phosphate supplementation. Can you tell me what it did for you. Symptom wise?

So do you have a SNP on CYP24a1? And is that the reason for your low 1,25(OH)vitamin D levels?

Also I was not actually referring to the "methylation" pathway (although that is important) I was referring to methylation of DNA which is part of the switching process for genes.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/19/2013]
  5. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Ian, I have several CYP2D6 SNPs and two CYP2E1 SNPs. But I think what causes the low vitamin D are the Vitamin D Receptor Bas and Taq mutations.

I mainly started taking Riboflavin-5-Phosphate because I am very intolerant of NADH supplements. I wondered if I didn't convert riboflavin to the active form properly and that caused NADH to build up (it's needed for NADH dehydrogenase formation).

But what surprised me was how much it improved my sulfur tolerance. I have always had to avoid any foods containing thiols and other sulfur compounds. I would get nausea, abdominal pain, and other signs of sulfur toxicity like burning mucosa. As long as I take the Riboflavin-5-Phosphate before eating foods like broccoli, cauliflower, onions, etc, I don't get ill. I stil have to limit the amount to some extent, but it is a noticeable difference. It may also be helping with folic acid conversion. I have one C677T MTHFR mutation.

Back when I was first diagnosed with "Environmental Illness" (early 1980s) it was a very maligned condition and the doctors who called themselves clinical ecologists were ridiculed by their peers. It took a long time for the science to catch up with the evidence, but I think those of us who suffered all those years are finally being vindicated :)

Jan