"THE MINDBODY PRESCRIPTION"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shinlee, Jun 24, 2006.

1. shinlee

shinlee New Member

Hi.

It's been awhile since my last posting. While searching Amazon for a book to do with T-Tapp I came across a reviewers comments on a book that helped him eliminate his chronic pain. "The Mindbody Prescription: Healing the Body, Healing the Pain" by John E. Sarn.

Hope this info helps someone. Below is the reviewers comments on this book:

8 of 8 people found the following review helpful:

The Best Self-Help Book Ever Written., May 9, 2006
    Reviewer: Flyer (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews

John Sarno's book "The Mindbody Prescription" healed almost all the pain in my body. "The Divided Mind" has completed the healing: all my physical pain is gone. I'm not kidding. Ninety percent of my "OCD" symptoms are gone. My skin problems aren't totally gone, but they will be eventually. I'm going to buy another copy of this book, because my wife is reading mine. Also, because if this book should ever go out of print, I want to make sure I have a copy of it. I know that's a little nutty, but this book is THAT important!

I've re-read parts of Sarno's "Mindbody Prescription" many, many times in the three years since I first "accidentally" discovered it at my local library. ( I own two copies).

I know it's ABSOLUTELY INSANE that a mere book can cure
    body pain, OCD and skin problems. The cure is also INSANELY simple: all these problems are caused by the genius of our own brains. Unconciously, we simply cannot bear to feel our repressed rage, fear, grief, sorrow, resentment and other emotions according to Sarno. So our brains, unbeknownst to us, invent various problems in our bodies, such as fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome, tinnitus, chest pain (the doc said it wasn't my heart) OCD (yes, OCD!) and more to divert our attention from these unacceptable emotions. Our unconcious just can't handle them.

"All" we have to do is totally buy Sarno's explanation, and the pain or other problem goes away.. I admit, it's not easy. It's taken a LOT of work, even though I instinctively agreed with his reasoning.

As one of my therapists said, everybody is a genius, in his or her unconcious mind, and that same mind which diverts our attention from our painful, repressed feelings also puts up an epic struggle against us exposing its insane game.

You think I'm nuts? Fine. Don't believe me. John Stoessel, the famously contrarian ABC reporter, says Sarno's book eliminated his excrutiating back pain. The shock jock Howard Stern, who mostly sickens me, has also been relieved of his unbelievable back pain and OCD by Sarno's books. Andrew Weil, the complementary medicine guru, buys Sarno's explanation for the epidemic of pain disorders in our world.

I've used Sarno's explanation of my body so often with myself that if I have any pain, I can turn it off by just silently or vocally telling myself that it's just my brain! No kidding.

I absolutely agree that John Sarno should be given the Nobel Prize in Science or whatever category covers his work. Of course, I'm sure the MDs and other folks who make billions of dollars treating only the symptoms of our real problem, wouldn't agree. Tough.

Again: don't believe me: BUY THIS BOOK! It's a heck of a lot cheaper, and WAAAAAY more effective, than therapy or most "medicine."

Take care.

Lisa

PS...Daneen someday we'll talk about our moms' passing. Unbelievable they both passed November of last year.

[This Message was Edited on 06/24/2006]
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Good deal. The mind/body connection can never be discounted.

Now you go read my post If You Want To Feel Better Read This.

Marta