The More Rest and Less Stress the Better I Feel, Why is This?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Jan 4, 2006.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have found if I could live the impossible life with lots of rest and no stress I would feel so much better..Anyone know why?

I have cfs and if I try to be a normal person and do normal things for a couple of days then the next 3 or 4 its like a bomb goes off in my body.. Activity and stress seems to bring on fatigue, depression, anxiety and my sinus/allergy problems...I do have pain but nothing like some of you with fibro speak off. The pain I can live with..

Then I have to have complete rest, with as less stress as possible and I began to feel somewhat normal..Then I try to catch up on things and the cycle starts all over.On the days I have a lot to do I do rest and pace but still end up in bed for days..

Example of my 2 days..Tues. was my great grandaughter's birthday, went to walmart got a present stop by to wish her happy birthday..she was 4, I then brought the 15 mo. old home with me to for about 4 hrs so her mom could do a few things..she slept 2 out of the 4 and I rested with her..Then went to the party that night was gone about 3 hours...Wed. did some laundry, cooked dinner, took my granddaugher to work, and my other granddaughter to her therapist..Went to the church and worked about 4 hrs on the newsletter and now today I am shot..I am suppose to go with my daughter to get an estimate on her vehicle, due to an accident and go back to church for about 3 hours..Well, I feel so bad I don't think I can do either...If I pace I just don't understand why I can't do somethings, sometimes...Am I doing to much, guess my body is telling me I am but if I cut back much more I will be doing nothing so I keep pushing...

Guess I am just venting...Thanks for any input...greatgran
  2. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

I have the same patterns when I get plenty of rest. I am hardly ever pain free, but when I rest properly I do feel some relief. Stress is my own worse enemy. Even with just a little I start hurting all over. Most of my days are a stressful from little to severe. You can vent all you want, that is why we are here. One thing I've learned is that this is the place for support.
    Angela
  3. MagsFMS

MagsFMS New Member

From a new grandmom to a greatgrandmom: we learn something each day and with cfs or a combination of cfs & fms like I have the act of using what we learn may be the toughest lesson.
    I made myself learn to say the word no to my daughter when it came to her asking me to watch my new grandson so she could work. I didn't want her to take him to a daycare center when he was to tiny only 6 pounds. But, I had to say NO. I knew I would not be able to do it for very long and that short time would not help them much.
    I feel like my family doesn't understand why I need to say no to them so often. And I would like for them to offer me help occasionally. It appears that they think this is all in my head and that if I just stopped being lazy maybe I would feel better. Only we can know how we really feel and we must listen to our bodys or pay the price later. We must stick with what we know. I hope this made some sense ~ magsfms
  4. MsE

MsE New Member

If I can manage one thing a day, I feel I've accomplished enough. I find stress is a real problem. Good stress as well as bad stress--it doesn't matter. It wipes me out and then all I can do is spend a couple of days flat on the sofa or in bed.

I think part of this is because CFIDS seems to kick-start the parasympathetic nervous system in such a way that the brain doesn't tell the body "It's okay to relax now." Instead, my motor just stays revved. That doesn't mean I feel energetic; it just means that I am anxious and stressed for no good reason except a wiring problem or something. The "on" switch goes on, but the "off" switch doesn't work. The result is exhaustion and a need for bed rest.
  5. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

Hi Great Gran -
    You sound so much like me!! Why can't we enjoy ourselves for one lousy day and then have to pay for it for several days after???!!! This is what is so frustrating about CFS, and NO ONE understands!! I am having my 40th bday party this Sunday with family, and I am dreading it because I know how I will feel physically AND mentally, then will have to deal with it for the following days.

I agree that if we had no stressors, plenty of "refreshing" rest we would feel better. I'm so pooped, I can't stand it!!

Jennifer

P.S. I read your bio - The "end of my life" also happened the way yours did - I woke up with vertigo that lasted for several days, severe fatigue, etc. Do you still have dizzy problems? One of my biggest problems besides the fatigue is the dizziness and balance problems (vertigo spells on and off). In fact, I'm dizzy right now - it stinks.

[This Message was Edited on 01/06/2006]
  6. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks so much to each of you..
    Mse, great to hear from you again and yes about one thing a day is all I should do..
    but sometimes I just have to get things done..

Stormsky, I do pace myself but not resting every 15 minutes, then up 15 when I am doing something I want to get it finished, not that I feel I do that much..but I will give it a try..What about excerise do any of you do any type of excerise other than our daily have to's?

Wendy, I am better at the NO word than I use to be and you are 100% right..My middle daughter is a widow and not well herself and I try to help her as much as I can..I use to do a lot for her..That is one of my stress problems is worry over her and her children..She just can't seem to manage trying to do everything herself because of her health etc..My other 2 children are independent and don't ask me for anything but they both are married and seem to have normal, working lives..

Jenifer, yes I still have the dizzy, off balance feelings and that is one reason i feel I have become agoraphobic, as far as the vertigo, i have had a few minor spells
    but nothing like the first..stll have the 24/7 ringing in my ears and the weird feeling in my head, then I get to thinking its ms...

I have a granddaughter that is 14 and I believe she has CFS but her doctor isn't any help..I hope to have a talk with her doc this coming week, she has her seeing a therapist and I feel its a physical issue causing the mental one...

Thanks again, i apprecialte each of you so much...
    greatgran

[This Message was Edited on 01/07/2006]
  7. greatgran

greatgran Member

By the way HAPPY 40th BIRTHDAY hope you don't over do and have a great day..I missed my surprise birthday party given by my children..It was the day after Thanksgiving and after having them all in for a Thanksgiving meal.. I just wasn't up to going..I told them to have fun without me..I was 63..So rest and don't miss your party like I did...

greatgran
  8. LostHearts

LostHearts New Member

Sleep lets our body replenish and regenerate, including the vital brain chemicals such as serotonin, dopamine etc. There are many more (we probably don't know how many) our nervous system uses in order to function properly. If we don't receive enough sleep or the right kind, the chemicals are then out of whack. Lack of sleep has been implicated not only in tiredness, but also depression, increased pain levels, and surprisingly, inability to lose weight as they also govern metabolism.

Stress is a killer, literally. Consider that stress, pain and depression all share the same section of the pain, separated by the narrowest of panels. As stress causes the body to go into emergency mode and release of all kinds of "message carriers" to the rest of the body, these will spill over and affect the neighboring brain areas. Constant stress, or frequent stressful episodes, will result in the body turning over into a constant stress-induced state. It can affect anything and everything. We are all familiar with some of these, such as high blood pressure and immune system dysfunction but there are many more.

My doc told me that since I am under constant seize from stressors, many of which I have no control over, it is the reason that my extremely high level of pain is hardly affected by my medications. So right now, I have been in a constant flare for almost 2 months. BTW, the other night I got about 7 hours sleep (very unusual for me, who generally gets 6 or less) and I did feel better a bit in mood and pain level.

Hope this sort of technical explanation will cover the "why" of sleep and how it affects body and mind.

I cannot go for more then 3 or 4 hours without having to lie down and nap, or else complete exhaustion sets in. Unfortunately, normal sleep does little to affect Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, which seems to be caused by a dysfunction of the brain itself, or some chemical imbalance that is relatively unknown at present. As those with CFS know, no matter how much we sleep, it doesn't seem to affect the fatigue level at all :(

9. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

I remember you from another board, & wondered how you were doing? The weather in WI. has been bone chilling, humid & snow on the ground. Thus, I have been flaring for about a month now.

I can only do one task a day & if I do more I pay the price. For instance, went wally world shopping the other day & went to the dollar store to pick up something & that's all it took. My feet hurt so terribly I couldn't walk..So that shot the day for me.

I'm still not sleeping well. Toss & turn all nite. I've tried many, many meds & still no luck. So as far as the brain chemical things, it's so true. Lack of sleep affects everything else & of course w/the cfs, the fatigue never leaves me. siiiggghhh...

My balance is off due to the vertigo going on w/the sinus thing. So I don't dare hold my 4mo. old grandaughter while standing up.

Like you, there is a "rare" day I feel somewhat normal, & try to do more, & again, pay the piper. Sometimes I feel so useless. I turn 63 this month, & wonder how the rest of my life will be...We are toooooooo young to be going thru all this. We should be enjoying our gk's, etc. Buuuuuttttt, I guess not. Don't know how the younger ones w/work & kids do it...It must be H _ _ _ for them.

Anyway, so glad I saw your post, & hope things go better for you..I guess I needed to vent also..lol..

P.S. I tend to stay home more now, as I know I'm going to be sooooooo fatigued & in pain from whatever I'm doing, & I'm more comfortable at home in my own recliner, sofa, etc. Wish I were turning 43 instead of 63, that's when I felt the best. Boo Hoo for me....lol..

Have a great weekend, maybe see you on here again.
    Fifth....
  10. GBHope

GBHope New Member

I pay for it. I'm really having trouble now because I have a cold and like some of you, for the last 10 years, have suffered with the dizziness and off-balance feeling with ringing ears which gets worse if my sinuses are messed up or I overdo.

GBHope