The Most Important Thing We Do Every Day

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Waynesrhythm, May 17, 2009.

1. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi All,

I had a chance to catch up with a dear friend today on the telephone. We talked about many things, including an experience he had several years ago. Thought I’d just share it here in case anybody had an interest.

He was out on a nature walk, when all of a sudden a question arose within himself. The question: “What is the most important thing you do every day?” It sort of came to him “out of the blue” and he interpreted it as a question that was “heaven sent”.

Well, he thought he could come up with the answer in pretty short order. So he started testing out various answers. But he really wasn’t getting an “inner affirmative” that these answers were correct. So he kind of stayed with it, for the next few days or so. Occasionally forgetting about it, and at other times really wondering what the right answer was for himself.

About a week later, he was out on the same nature trail, and all of a sudden the answer occurred to him, again “out of the blue”. And when the answer came at this time, he knew is was the right one for him.

Instead of giving you his answer right now, perhaps some of you might be interested in contemplating on this question for yourselves. There are no incorrect answers. And any number of answers should give us all some things to think about.

When my friend first asked me this question a few years ago, I found it to be a good exercise to find out what resonated for me. Back at that time, my answer was, “To become more and more who we truly are”. I still like it, but I liked a lot of the other answers he received from his friends at the time.

Anybody here want to participate in this exercise? I’ll post my friend’s answer in another day or so.

Happy contemplating! :)

Wayne[This Message was Edited on 05/18/2009]
  2. lynncats

lynncats New Member

Live, Laugh, Smile, Make someone else smile.

LYNN
  3. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Wake up...care for and love my family to the best of my ability:)

Deb
  4. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Was your friends' answer ambiguous. like "do my best", "strive for personal growth", "discover my true self", etc... Or did he find a specific answer?

Just curious!

:)
  5. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi All,

Lynncats, I like your answer very much. I think it's a courageous answer as well given that you're dealing with such a heart wrenching family situation. My condolences to you and your husband on your loss. I might just mention that your son, "only" 23, could very well have a change of heart in the future. It may take a few years however.

I think it's sometimes situations like yours where we have a "chance" to learn patience. Not always easy, but sometimes we just need to let others go, and let them have their experiences. And in the process, "protect" ourselves to the best of our ability. I would doubt your son has the maturity at this time to fully understand what he's doing.

Debra, I like your answer as well. It certainly reflects s a real selflessness. And a desire to do for others when we often can't even do for ourselves. Thanks for your reply.

Hi Pippi, wow, ambiguous is kind of a big word for me this early in the day (noon here in Oregon :) I'm not sure if ambiguous is the right term, but I'll leave a little clue. It's one word, and it starts with "c".

Thanks all for your replies. BTW, I would invite some humor into any replies you might think of. One answer I wouldn't be surprised to hear would be something like, "going to the chit chat board and connect with my special friends there who understand me". I encourage all to be creative.

Wayne
  6. springwater

springwater Member

Ive been having a rather hard time of it for some time now, so my answer to your question

What is the most important thing you do each day would be.........

"Try and get through it" :)

God Bless
  7. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

8. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Thinking good thoughts about Nepal on so many levels.

Take care of you!

9. Sacajawea2

Sacajawea2 New Member

My 12 year old daughter's chosen quote for life is...

Live today day as if it was on purpose!

SJ
  10. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Forgive Mom.

For everything.

Mom & I are close now, but we still have our ups & downs.

Mom admits she made many mistakes along the way, raising me & my bros. She says there are SO many things she'd do differently, if she knew then what she knows now.

When she says that, I look at her in over-dramatic mock horror & exclaim: Oh my God! You mean you're one of those HUMAN people???!!!

That crackes her up, especially when I add: Oh, & by the way - sorry about that whole teenage-thing!

She dismisses that with a wave of her hand, & says: You were just being a teenager. That's what teenagers do.

This conversation & attitude is nothing short of a miracle.
    There was a time we literally hated the sight of each other.

The reason my answer is "forgive Mom" & not "forgive those who have wronged me", is because although it's not politically-correct to say so - I don't believe everybody on the planet DESERVES my forgiveness...

11. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Is it contentment? Change? Choice. Coping. For me it is contentment.

Contentment with your relationships, coming to terms with the expected ups and downs that are part of life, as well as forgiving yourself and others as we are only human. It is an inner foundation that while not necessarily making you feel good about everything, can help you cope.

I like "coming to terms" better than acceptance. I will never accept my mother's death but have come to terms with it. But it is all a matter of semantics.

To me contentment is a deeper type of happiness. The feeling of contentment can give you realistic perspective of life. It also comes from accepting what you can and can not control.

Contentment is essential for me and has taken a long time for me to understand how important this is.

gap

[<i>This Message was Edited on 05/18/2009</i>]
    [<i>This Message was Edited on 05/18/2009</i>]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/18/2009]
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I always love your posts.

Each day, I ask God to let me be of service to at least one other person. I'm not sure it's the most important thing I do, but it's right up there.

I also try to be certain that I express my gratitude to God for all my many blessings. I try to live in a state of being thankful.

I try to spend some time in contemplation or meditation. I often have some of those "out of the blue" questions and answers. I also believe they are Heaven sent. I believe God does speak to us if we take the time to listen.

Thanks for your provokative post.

Love, Mikie
  13. lynncats

lynncats New Member

Just letting you know, thank you. I think you're post touched me more than anything. This has been a crazy ride for us, and it is great for people LIKE YOU!!!!!

LYNN
  14. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi All,

Wow, thanks for all your responses. I really enjoyed them all.

Hi Elliespad, you started your post by saying, "I don't do much...". But you then went on to list just a few things that you do do. Well, it didn't sound like "not much" to me. I think when dealing with our health issues, it's good to remember that what we sometimes consider "little things" are often big things indeed. Especially to family and friends that depend on us continuing to reach out to them to the best of our ability.

Hi Springwater - I loved your answer. And who of us cannot relate to “just trying to get through it?” I’m sorry you’ve had such a hard time of it lately, but am happy to see you’re keeping your sense of humor. So good to hear from you. Hope you find yourself on the upswing sometime soon. :)

Hi Dear Rafiki, so good to hear from you. I’ve been missing you. Somehow I’ve not been able to blend into a thread where I could say hello, and tell you how much I think it’s time for the mites to give you a break! :) But I guess I just did. I’ll get back to you (probably tomorrow) on your answer.

Hi Sacajawea – RE: your daughter’s quote for life, “Live today as if it was on purpose!” Wow, it sounds like your daughter is a pretty wise Soul. And at just 12 years old! I can only imagine what a joy it must be for you to watch her grow up.

Hi again Pippi – I can so relate to your story about your Mom. My own mother used to be hard on herself about how she raised us. But I would also try to ease her distress, usually by asking her if she did the best she could. My mother had a good loving heart. And I will always be grateful for that. --- For sure, forgiveness is so important, for everybody involved. I would guess it’s something we all have to learn to do, and then often having to relearn it again and again. And yes, even sometimes daily.

Hi Gap, thanks much for your response. Contentment, yes indeed, that’s a big one. I think of contentment similar to the way I think some people seek to find peace. In my mind, a certain letting go of some of our inner tensions. Whenever I feel I need a lesson in contentment, I begin to closely observe my kitty in her daily life. A true example of contentment! Ain’t it interesting how we can often learn important spiritual values from our furry friends? :)

Hi Julie – Well no, it’s not cottage cheese, or curly fries, or ... It’s cream puffs. The most important thing to do every day is to eat our cream puffs! LOL – Thanks for the chuckle. I always enjoy a good sense of humor! — I loved the rest of your answer as well. Feels like you’ve found a really nice blend of contentment, love and gratitude in your life. No small feat when dealing with the challenging health issues we face.

Dear Mikie, I really appreciated your first point about service. Such an important perspective. I heard about a prayer once that went something like “Dear God, bless this day, and those I serve”. Your post was a good reminder of that short but sincere prayer. All your other points about talking to God, listening to God, being grateful and thankful, taking time to contemplate or mediate. It’s no wonder you bring such a sense of equanimity (and more) to your postings, even in the midst of your own challenges. Thank you.

Hi Rainbow - It seems I saw briefly you were dealing with a bout of the flu or something. Hope you’re on the mend from that ordeal. Thanks for your comment about love. Isn’t that what it’s really all about? I read a description of love once that it is like a river. Some of the water may get blocked up at times, but it eventually will make it’s way out of temporary whirlpools and eventually move on toward the sea. I agree with you wholeheartedly, that love does conquer all.

Lynn - So nice to hear back from you. I just had a thought that maybe your family situation might have a good chance to eventually resolve, with love. Not being able to see somebody doesn’t have to prevent us from loving them. And love is the great healer. I wish you the very best as you move forward in your most difficult situation.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I’ll get back tomorrow and share my friend’s answer. And a few other comments about what we discussed regarding his answer.

All the Best, Wayne[This Message was Edited on 05/18/2009]
  15. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

I hope that I find myself doing service of some type every day. I find, and feel so much good in doing something for someone else. It helps me to not concentrate so much on my problems, but helps me see, that I'm not the only one in need at times.

But, I have to say, I am in need of some of those "C" words that Julie put up. Like Cheetos, oh yeah.
    Ya'll thought I was going to say chickens didn't you???? No, she didn't say that C word.
    Hope everyone has a great...tomorrow..bedtime here, finally.
    Cynthia
  16. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Making sure i tell eveyone I love them everyday!!!!!!!!!
  17. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Can I have more than one answer? smile

I like to smile even if I don't want to make other people wonder what I'm up to.

I try to be paitient and loving to my family and friends each day.

I thank God each day for helping me do my best even though fibro makes that hard to do.

Do something fun each day.

Okay I'd better stop. I've enjoyed reading everyone's responses. :)

18. vivian53

vivian53 Member

So many good answers from so many good people.

Wayne thanks for starting this post, you are a thoughtful person. I not only mean caring, but I find your posts thought provoking. I need my thoughts provoked, sometimes they get lazy.

But I think there can only be one answer, and that Rafiki wins the mirror ball trophy.

It has to be 'choose.'

My initial response was 'to give love'. After reading everyone else's responses I realized that what I had initially thought, and what everyone else responded with, were choices.

We choose to care for our family as much as this DD allows, we choose to be content although daily occurrences interfere with that, we choose to love.

How we live our lives and what is most important in our lives are the choices we make everyday. They define us. We are what we choose.

Today I choose to be happy that I am alive, that my family is safe, and that I am able to enjoy this beautiful sunny Spring day.

vivian
  19. JEANSKI

JEANSKI New Member

To be present in the moment is the most important thing I believe. Not in the past or looking toward the future "what if". But really alive and present for our life we are given this day.
  20. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I really needed the messages I read here!

That was truly inspired!