The Movie "Into the Wild"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Apr 19, 2008.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

Has anyone seen this Movie? Watched it last night,,,and really enjoyed it!,,,,I'ts a true story of a Kid that left his upscale life behind to travel and live in the Wild,,And Eventualy Alaska with no money and no Vehichle,,,,,,,,,Riviting in Parts! 4 stars!! Directed by Sean Penn,,,,,,,Sis
  2. smadavid

smadavid New Member

I loved this movie... his revelation at the end of the movie was really heartbreaking. I haven't been as touched emotionally by a movie in a long time. Highly recommended :)
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I loved this movie, too. It's a tour-de-force, and Sean Penn did an incredible job directing. I loved the scenery, the acting, the music. Hal Holbrook's character was heartbreaking, as was Chris himself.

The book it's based on, by Jon Krakauer, is superb, too.

I like how both Penn and Krakauer treat Chris McCandless so sympathetically. In society's eyes, he could be viewed as pretty crazy. He gave away $20,000 to OXFAM, ditched his car, and lived like a gypsy. But the movie really shows you why he chose to live the way he did, and that he died in Alaska of bad luck, not being an unprepared fool.

Have you seen the film, GRIZZLY MAN? Kind of interesting to compare the two.
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

Wow was i touched with this Movie also!! I could relate to that kid in alot of ways!,,,I agree that Penn did a Marvolous job of directing! it was almost like you were right there with him!,,,,,

yes,, going into the wilderness unprepared was a huge mistake,,,,not knowing how to hunt properly and not trying to catch fish for his survival,,,,,,,lots of trouble at home too!,,,felt bad for his Mom and sister,,,

but when he was on the road he did well!,,,i loved the folks along the way he met and how he touched everyone of their lives in some way!,,,,,Vince Vaughn and Hal Holbrook gave outstanding preformances!,,,,,,,,

Yes the ending was so very sad!,,,,,was almost wondering why he didn't just put himself out of the misery,,,,,i'm going to watch it again tonight!,,,,,,,,There is also a Bonus Footage Cd now available through Netflix,,,,getting that too!

Ken ~~ Haven't seen Grizzly Man yet as of in the movie,,,but saw a documentry on the PBS station,,,Very interesting,,,will get the Movie,,,,, have you seen the film "sacred Planet" Produced by Robert Redford?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,That one is next!

[This Message was Edited on 04/19/2008]
  5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I had forgotten about the Vince Vaughn character. It was neat how Chris touched everyone he met in some way.

I thought that the two things that did Chris in in Alaska were the height of the raging river from the snowmelt, and eating the wrong wild bean, which poisoned him.

Lots of people get lucky and survive wilderness situations, but lots don't, too.

That's certainly the case here in New Mexico, and I'm sure it is in Montana, too.

Hope you're having a good weekend!
    [This Message was Edited on 04/20/2008]
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

to get it from Amazon and looking forward to it.

7. sisland

sisland New Member

Good point Ken about how some folks survive in the wild and some don't,,,,They actually Have a collage course up this way on Wilderness Survival,,,,,,

People get Killed in Avalanches,,and by Grizzly Bears,,,or by Rafting the Spring River waters without a guide around hear,,,,,sad but true!

Rosie~~You will enjoy this Film!,,,It's a good one!,,,,,Sis
  8. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I just put this movie into my list on Netflix.
    Can't wait to see it.

9. sisland

sisland New Member

It's a Great Movie! I think you will love it!,,,I had to watch it twice to get the full details,,,,,,Sis
  10. sisland

sisland New Member

Yes i was thinking of looking for the sound track,,,,All the songs seemed to be ones i could relate to! Thanks!,,,,,and i would most definetly like to get the book too!,,,,,,,,,Sis[This Message was Edited on 04/21/2008]
  11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Back when I was teaching, I actually taught this book to a class of juniors. When they were done reading it, I had them write an essay on whether they thought Chris McCandless was a hero or a fool. That is, was he a romantic loner, maybe in the tradition of Thoreau, John Muir, Edward Abbey, or other American individualists, or was he ignorant and maybe even crazy? They had to justify their answers through his actions throughout the book.

Funny, about half thought he was the former, and half thought he was the latter.

The book is very compelling and well-written.
  12. sisland

sisland New Member

That's a great thing you did with this story for your students!,,,Kool how the Kids summed it up!,,,,

This is just my opion but i think that he truley believed he could live in the wild succesfully
    thinking that he could hike out on occasion to be with other humans,,,,(His road family),,,,

remember when Ron offered to be his grandfather and he said to him "Can we talk about this when i get back from Alaska?"

The raging spring river and the poison wild potatoe/onion,,,,like you said were his demise,,,,also of course the non understanding of how to survive,,,hunt ,,ect,,,,,,i'm going to look for the book on amazon,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This has to be one of the Best Movies i've seen in along time!,,,,,,,,,,And since it's nonfiction that makes it all the better!,,,,,,,

What a Glorious Spirit this Kid had! and the way He trained himself Physically and Mentaly was really impressive!,,,,,,,,,Maybe he was to smart for his own good and common sence was not all it should have been!,,,,But wow did he try!,,,,,,Thanks for the review!,,,,,Sis