The Mystery of Chronic Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gapsych, May 23, 2011.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

This is a fascinating 8 minute video about chronic pain and how it becomes a disease in it's own right.

Elliot Krand, the speaker has also written a book on Fibromyalgia. I haven't had a chance to find the name of the book but when I do, I will come back and post it.

Anyone else heard of Dr. Krand and/or know what his book is called.

2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I was at my doctor's waiting room this morning and there was an article in Discover magazine (I think it was the May issue) about how brain rewiring can cause chronic pain, the concept was very similar to the video. The article said someone is working on developing a drug to do something with a certain enzyme which he believed was a source of chronic pain. I wish I remembered this better!

I looked at Discover magazine on-line but they don't have the article posted. Anyways, the girl's progress in the video was amazing - she's really fortunate to have such a good doctor!

3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Yesterday I found a book I thought was by Dr. Krane. It looked like a medical book about FM and other chronic pain conditions. It was $80.

Today I can't find it, but found the books you are talking about. LOL! I did misspell his name in my original post but I tried that name as well.

I'll keep looking, as I thought I read he wrote a book that is specifically about FM. But then I also thought I found a textbook while not finding the books you mention.

Long way of saying, I'm confused!

Dang brain fog. :>)

4. paulac7

paulac7 Member

--but I don't (can't) do online videos of any kind. I still have dial-up out here in the middle of nowhere. No hi-speed either, unless I wish to go the satellite route, and after doing some research, don't think I wanna do that either.

Enough of my problems, though--I believe that chronic pain does have the power to become a disease in and of itself--pain=stress=more pain=more stress; which ultimately turns into a round robin of misery.

Never heard of Dr Krand, but if you find his book title, could you post it, as it might be worth a read. (at least for me).

BTW--how goes the CPAP? Was at the Rheumy's a few weeks ago, and along with some different medicine, she is beginning to suspect that I have sleep apnea--need to set up a sleep study as soon as I figure out my insurance (it's new, and haven't had any for awhile).

The nice thing is that there is a sleep center kind of affiliated with my Rheumy in the same building. The not so nice thing is that it is about 1.5 hr drive away, depending on traffic, road construction, and how lucky I am feeling (as to getting/not getting a speeding ticket).

Sorry to jack your thread to whine about my life--you can yell at me if you like....

Paula >^.^<