The name "CFS/ME"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Andrew111, May 20, 2009.

1. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

I don't understand this whole name thing. We all agree that Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is a bad name. So now we add "ME," which can stand for more than one spelling, but it brings in an inflammatory illness that may or may not be what most of us are suffering with. True, it does sound better. But now we have researchers, doctors, and patients arguing about whether we really have an inflammatory illness.

I have a simple solution. Why not just name it like so many other syndromes are named. There are any number of syndromes that are named after a person. So let's saw we call CFS "Peterson Syndrome." Or maybe name if after the first person who was diagnosed, to our knowledge. And if it helps with insurance, how about calling it CFS/Peterson Syndrome. Or another name with CFS attached on the front.
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I believe the name myalgic encephalopathy was selected by a committee that was
    searching for a name that would be both unprouncable and unspellable.

The way I see it, a rose by any other name has just as many thorns.

Read your profile. Hey! We have some of the same terrible diseases.

Are you from Minnesota? I am. Lots of Petersons and other sons in MN.

3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

The correct name for our illness is myalgic encephalomyelitis, or M.E. for short. This accurately describes the inflammation found in our central nervous system. The World Health Organisation has classified M.E. as a neurological illness since 1969.

There is no such thing as 'myalgic encephalopathy', this is another name (like 'chronic fatigue syndrome') made up by powerful members of the psychiatric profession who, working for the health insurance companies, have successfully belittled our illness for over two decades. You can read more here:

"Who benefits from 'CFS' and 'ME/CFS'? For whose benefit was ‘Chronic Fatigue Syndrome’ created, and for whose benefit is it so heavily promoted despite its utter lack of scientific credibility? Who benefits from Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and ‘CFS’ being mixed together through unscientific concepts such as ‘CFS/ME’ and ‘ME/CFS’ and Myalgic ‘Encephalopathy’? Who benefits from the facts of M.E. remaining ignored, obscured and hidden in plain sight?".........cont

4. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

FWIW, I just looked up the symptoms of myalgic encephalomyelitis on the Internet. It sure sounds like what I have.

5. denis321

denis321 New Member

is to move away from syndromes/ illnesses named after people as it is considered non-useful in describing the process involved in the illness, the scientific basis, etc.

Some old names are still retained, e.g. Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's, but these have been around for decades, in some cases more than a century.
  6. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

that may be true, but until they actually figure out more about what is going on, we are stuck with a rotten name - we are paying for their ignorance.....they could name it after a person and then add another name after they figure it out (for exp, isn't it Lou Gehrig's disease that is also called ALS?)....I realize that they already call this more than one thing, but I'd rather some confusion about yet another name than the current lack of respect and worse that we get from the name, at this point, they do know enough to know that it is a neuroimmune disease that causes the mitochondria to stop working rt (and that those issues lead to many other problems).....that would seem to be enough knowledge to be able to come up with something better than CFS....heck, I'd rather they call it something like Ramsey's Un-named Disease or Not Yet Named Illness....what about Ramsey's Neuroimmune Dysfunction?