THE NAME GAME

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by rockgor, Apr 27, 2017.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Things named after people: the inventor, the designer, the founder, etc. Post as
    much or as little history as you like.

America. After Amerigo Vespucci.
    Disneyland. Self explanatory.

Louisiana. After King Louis XIV
    Lincoln, Nebraska. After Honest Abe.

The Pullman Car. After George Pullman. The company also made trolley cars.
    Carnegie Hall. After Andrew Carnegie who paid for it.

The Smith Brothers, William and Andrew. First to manufacture cough drops
    in America. When I was a school boy one couldn't chew gum or eat candy
    in class, but one could enjoy cough drops. The ones I bought came in a
    package like this. And ten cents is what they cost in the 50s.

Rock

[​IMG]
    Mikie and gb66 like this.
  2. hangininthere

hangininthere Well-Known Member

Well, what a kawinkydink.

Today I half-watched an episode of Death Valley Days. That show tells true stories of the old West there.

It was about The Winchester repeater rifles that saved a tiny town from a bad guy.

At the end, the townsfolk were trying to decide a name for their town.

They hit upon naming it Winchester, in honor of the name that was on some of the rifles. Oliver Winchester's company.

After that show, I got to thinking about all the other things that are named after their inventors, but fell asleep before I could think of anything, and forgot all about it until I saw your game here just now.

Patti
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    gb66 and rockgor like this.
  3. rockgor

Hi Patti

Very good. I remember seeing the movie Winchester 73 when I was a kid.
    Jimmy Stewart, Shelley Winters and Dan Duryea.

The Colt Revolver was named after its inventor Sanuel Colt. "The great
    equalizer". Now the bigger man didn't win all the fights.

Rubik's Cube. Invented by Hungarian Erno Rubic.
    McDonald's was founded by Ray Kroc who adapted the menu and kitchen
    procedures of the McDonald's brothers in their restaurant.

Hershey Bars after Milton Hershey.
    Mrs Butterworth's Syrup. According to Wikipedia it contains almost no
    butter or maple syrup.

Rock

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    Mikie, hangininthere and gb66 like this.
  4. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

On my way to bed but I'll think of some to post tomorrow. Good idea Rock. GB
  5. rockgor

Hi GB
    Good to hear from you. Hope you're not feeling too bad. I'm feeling pretty good
    myself. Just got back from a visit with my new chiropractor Dr. McCracken. He's
    breaking in a new assistant: Dr. A. D. Just.

Rock
  6. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Hi Rock, I'm glad you're feeling so well. I've been feeling better lately too. I think it's the warmer weather.

Your Drs name reminds me of a character on Star Trek; Next Generation. Her name was Dr. Beverly Crusher. She wasn't a chiro but with a name like that, she should have been. lol GB
  7. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Singer Sewing Machine, Invented by Isaac Merritt Singer.

Sara Lee, Daughter of the founder of the company.

Wendy, Daughter of the founder of Wendy's. His fourth child, Melinda Lou (Wendy) Thomas.

Little Debbie, named after the granddaughter of the McKee Co. founders, O.D. and Ruth McKee.

Bose Corporation, Founded by Amar Bose. High quality stero/audio equimpment.

William T. Piper, Piper Cub airplanes.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    Mikie and rockgor like this.
  8. rockgor

Nice list, GB. I didn't know Bose was named after a person. I have one too. Gordon
    gave it to me a couple years ago. It has great sound. Will even play CDs that my
    cheaper Sony boom box won't play. But it does have one flaw. The engineers forgot
    to provide a button to shut it off.

The Tony Award, named after Antoinette Perry, actress, Broadway director and one
    of the founders of the entertainment program for soldiers during WWII. (See the movie
    Stage Door Canteen.)

Pasteurization named after French scientist Louie Pasteur. Warner Bros. made a
    movie about him in the 30's.

General Foods Betty Crocker. Like Mrs. Butterworth a fictional character.
    There have, however, been sightings of Julia Child and Martha Stewart. Many
    folks believe them to be actual people

George Foreman Grill.
    Rudolf Diesel, German inventor of the Diesel engine.

There are lotza thing named after Benjamin Franklin including a state. It was
    located in what is now Tennessee and existed for few years in the 18th century.
    Also numerous schools, a stove, a submarine, and various towns and townships.

What about the Franklin Mint? Is it named after old Ben? Turns out to be a
    long, complicated story. It may be that the mint was named after Benjamin
    Franklin Peale who was Chief Coiner at the Mint (when it was called the Philadelphia
    Mint). And he had been named after the original Benjamin Franklin.

King Arthur Flour. Here are two amazing kawinkydinks fur ya. This company
    was founded in 1790, the year Benjamin Franklin died. And one of the founders
    was named Benjamin Franklin Sands.

Rock

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  9. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Mrs. Field's Cookies, Founded by Debbi Fields.

Gillette, King Camp Gillette invented a version of saftey razors.

Mary Kay Cosmetics, Founder Mary Kay Ashe. Famous for giving her employees pink Cadillacs for bonuses.

Foster Grant sunglasses, Created by Sam Foster.

Acadia Dawn, my great granddaughter who is named for Acadia National Park in Maine, but when she gets older, she will probably think the park was named for her! Go Cadie!
    Mikie and rockgor like this.
  10. rockgor

Hey, GB. Acadia reminds me of Caddie Woodlawn, an old book about a girl growing
    up in Wisconsin during the Civil War. I never knew Foster sunglasses were named
    after somebody. I thought they were designed to foster protection from the sun's
    fierce rays.

Never heard of King Camp Gillette either. Sounds like it might be the name of
    a professional wrestler. Reminds me of a story we read in High School. The
    Luck of Roaring Camp by Bret Harte.

Johnson's Wax, named after Samuel C. Johnson, also of Wisconsin and the 19th century.
    No doubt a good friend of Caddie Woodlawn.

Mae West, WWII military slang for G I life preservers.

Penney's Dept. Store, founded by James Cash Penney. Isn't that middle name
    apt?! He lived almost a century.

Alzheimer's Disease, first described by the German doctor and scientist Alois
    Alzheimer. His first paper was written in 1906, the same year as the
    San Francisco earthquake.

Bloomers, named after the womens' rights crusader Amelia Bloomer.
    The bloomers she promoted were not underwear. They were baggy pants
    which she said would give women freedom to work without all those
    restraining undergarments.

The Jack Russell terrier, named after the terriers raised by Rev. John Russell.

Rock

[​IMG]
    gb66 and Mikie like this.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Rock, I'm one of the ones who believed Julia Child and Martha Stewart are real people. :rolleyes:

This is a great game but my poor pea brain isn't working today. I guess it takes the Sabbath off.

Adidas sneakers are named for the founder, Adolph Adi Dassler. His bro, Rudi, went on to found Puma shoes. I guess they were relatively competitive. I don't know whether they were the sole owners or not. Employees were made to toe the line or get the boot.

OK, enough bad puns. Love reading everydobby's posts.

Love, Mikie
    gb66, bct and rockgor like this.
  12. rockgor

Hi Mikie

I salute you and your shoe puns with a rousing toest. And I liked the toen of your post.
    Just a bit arch. As Werner Heisenberg observed, over 80% of all puns regarding
    shoes and feet tend to be on the corny side. When little Werner was just a tot
    in Germany, his Papa wanted him to study the accordion, but Werner said, "Nein.
    I want'um quantum." And went on to win a Nobel Prize for same.

Werner was never a loafer. He worked hard. And he had high standards. One
    day he returned his new shoes to the store and demanded a refund. "One of them
    isn't right,' he said.

Regarding Julia and Martha, I checked a reliable source (The National Enquirer)
    and found you are right. They are both real people. They were last seen living
    in an apartment over a laundromat with a roommate named Elvis.

Hugs
    Rock

[​IMG]
  13. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock and Mikie, Very funny! :) You two might have hit upon a good category idea for one of our games. Maybe we could take a word and write a 'pun' story to go along with it. Then, others could add to it. Any ideas? GB
    Mikie likes this.
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Rock, you continue to prove you are the Master of The Pun. Reading them really gets me pumped. When it comes to puns, I'm stubborn as a mule. I'll drink your toest and cut you a wedge of cake to go with it. I like to speak in an Irish brogue when I make puns. I feel like a heel for making these cheesy puns but it's not stopping me. I love my shoes and try to look sharp in my flats. This is leading us down a slippery slope.

I think of you whenever I see slippers and remember your difficulty finding just the right ones. I'm wearing my slippers out staying inside the condo and not going out much. I have to go to the grocery store today, which entails showering and doing my hair. That alone should drain my energy. Whine, whine, whine! I also think of you when I'm working on my crossword puzzles. Yesterday, How High The Moon was an answer to the NYT puzzle. I was watching the news on CBS and they played it when showing the closing credits. I love coincidences.

GB, that's an excellent idea. We often run through the puns pretty fast but whoever starts the game could continue to throw out new topics for new puns.

Hope everydobby's week is starting out well.

Love, Mikie
    gb66 and rockgor like this.
  15. rockgor

Hi Mikie, thanks for the bouquet. Nice first paragraph. You tossed in pumps, mules, wedgies,
    brogues, heels, flats and slippers. More puns than many people make in a lifetime. Can't
    imagine the clue for How High The Moon. Maybe it was about Moon Mullins. That
    was a cartoon strip when I was a kid. Too adult for me though.

Didn't know anything about the shoe brothers Adolf and Rudi. Never owned
    Adidas or Pumas. But really, are there any truly bad puns? I think puns are
    like dogs. They all go to Heaven. (Or am I thinking all nuns go to Heaven?)

A few more eponymous names. Anne Shirley, the heroine of Anne of Green Gables
    which is set on Prince Edward Island. The book has been made into a movie
    several times. The actress who played the title character in the 1930's movie fell
    in love with the character and changed her name to Anne Shirley.

Prince Edward Island was named for the prince of the same name. If I understand
    it correctly, he was the son of King George III, the one we fought the Revolutionary
    war with, and also the father of Queen Victoria.

The Lutheran Church after Martin Luther who triggered the Reformation.

The Hammond Organ invented by Laurens Hammond of Evanston, Illionois.
    (My aunt and uncle used to live there.) Our church bought a Hammond organ
    when I was a teenager. I used to play it (very badly). Played for a couple other
    churches too. Also very badly. (Wasn't my idea.)

Hugs
    Rock

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
  16. rockgor

Hi Kids

Been unable to get here for a few days. Guess we all were. Was unable to post here
    today, but I think it's my computer that's being crotchety. For some reason I was
    able to post on the Chit Chat board this morning. I think computers are like the universe.
    We will never fully understand either.

The Heimlich Maneuver after Dr. Henry Heimlich. Died last year.
    Mary Jane shoes after the daughter of the cartoonist who drew the comic
    strip Buster Brown.

The Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, after William Worrell Mayo and his
    two sons William and Charles.
    Hodgkin's disease after English doctor Thomas Hodgkin.

The Sharps rifle after engineer Christian Sharps. The gun used a large caliber
    bullet and was famous for its long range accuracy. Often used by buffalo hunters.
    Buffalo wings. Named for the city where they originated at the Anchor Bar in
    1964. (Seem to be various histories and disputed facts on this one.)

Rock