The Next Day Flare

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, Dec 30, 2009.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I'm dying. Yesterday, I did normal things that people take for granted. I had to do a bunch of errands. I went to the bank, I put gas in my car (the clerk read the amount backwards and almost charged me double when I got inside to pay!), went to the store to mail my aunt's xmas present that I had been promising to mail for a month. (aunt in law and understanding mostly of CFIDS, not one of my blood relatives). Then my friend picked me up for dinner. We went for chinese buffet. I was tired by the time we went out, but I wasn't flaring like I am now.

I started to flare last night within a few hours of being home. Today, I am in screaming agony. Massive flare up, pain all over, fatigue to where I can't stay awake, I'm just dying.

Why does it have to do this? Why is it that every time I try to do normal things, I pay in spades so badly that it is never worth it. And I didn't do crazy things, it's not like I tried to go out dancing. I did normal everyday things that people take for granted every day.

The pain is so bad, I just want to die.

I also still have the Swine Flu goo. I left half a dozen napkins in the restaurant last night from it. And still had it today. I don't know if it's ever going to leave. It's like a combo of bronchitis and post nasal, but not. It's horrible.

I ordered a small thing for my pc and I have to stay awake for the UPS delivery for the next few hours, so I'm dying sitting here.

I wish people knew how severe the pain and fatigue are when we try to do normal things. This isn't something minor. My psycho relatives act like we are exaggerating everyday aches and pains and it's not. This can't be ignored, this isn't something a tylenol can fix. I feel like I was thrown from a building and a truck ran over me. I can't move at all. Just typing this hurts. My arms hurt, my fingers hurt, everything hurts. And I had gone back to sleep this afternoon and it didn't help at all. I'm just totally dying.
  2. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

It is no fair that we must suffer endlessly like this. I have felt exactly the same way, but do not go into detail. It's been really hard for me this whole year to accept that I cannot hold down any job that I want, as I am not reliable and end up in too many flares. I'm resisting filing for disability, but I must. It hurts. I've had so many goals, and still have many today, to accomplish, but this illness has stripped it all away from me. Well, all but my ability to write lyrics for songs. I have to publish a book of lyrics and then see if some professional singer will sing the lyrics and some of the songs I've created. it is the one thing besides a few massages from a few of my guy friends, that keep me sane with this horrible pain and fatigue. This board helps me so much as well!

Maybe it is time for a doctor visit for an inhaler to get all of the crap out of your lungs. A doctor might even recommend an over-the-counter Rubitussin D, or a generic expectorant in liquid form, to take care of excess phlegm.

People do know your pain, as I know it all too well. Even when I do not do a thing, just sitting here and typing is extremely painful, but laying on the couch all day hurts a lot too. So, go figure!!!

Just know that the flare will come and go. Right now it is severe, but hopefully you can gain a little control over it.

Here's what I suggest, but I know when it is so bad even these things do not help. Take what you want or not at your own risk.

1) Hot showers/baths.

2) Hot cocoa, or coffee (cocoa increases circulation, coffee builds up dopamine levels.)

3) Cantelope and almonds (build up dopamine levels)

4) Ice cream (builds up serotonin levels)

5) B-12 and B-complex (take only the daily allowance of them, the internet should help you find the RDA amounts)

6) Massages (help reduce the amount of Substance P, the chemical that triggers the mind to sense far more pain signals than normal).

7) One baby-aspirin a day, or one at night and one in the morning. Chew up in mouth and then wash down with a tall glass of water. Make sure you eat first, and make sure that you do talk with your doctor about taking Baby aspirin. (Again, be careful to taking this only on a full tummy, or it can give you ulcers that are really painful)

8) Ice packs on the head for a half hour (or so, on and off for a few hours, like every 20 minutes or half hour, then a half hour break, and then apply again). This helps the head to get distracted from the pain all over the body. I don't know why, but it works for me. Sometimes I put it on the sorest spot on my body which is the base of my neck.

9) Breathing exercises.

10) Your favorite music being played at a bareable level.

11) Ice packs on head while in a nice hot tub for no longer than an hour. Do not fall asleep like I do.

12) This chat room/board room helps me a lot!!!

13) Realizing that you do not want to die, per se, but that you just want relief of the pain.

14) Hugs from others. Soft and gentle only.

15) Phone calls to loved ones.

16) Laying in the bed, with a pet, watching TV or a movie, to distract you from focusing too much on the agonizing pain and fatigue.

17) Looking at/reading the list at the top of these posts, of what helps others and what might work for you.

18) Helping someone out can distract your mind from the agonizing pain.

19) Dreaming of a place you want to be. Using visionary techniques, such as visualizing in your mind what a painfree fun live might be like, on an island, or which ever.

20) Passionate intimacy and intimate touch... I need not go into detail about this.

21) Writing about your pain in a journal, or writing a story about anything to focus off the pain. Or writing lyrics or a poem about the pain you're feeling, or about the painfree life you desire.

22) Eating Jalepeno peppers. They've been proven to lower levels of Substance P in our bodies, the chemical neurotransmitter that picks up pain signals, which in our bodies we have way too much Substance P, research indicates.

23) Reading a book.

24) Going outside briefly, for fresh air, if it is not too cold.

25) Take the RDA amount of selenium and zinc.

26) Drink milk.

27) Knowing that you are loved here, and not judged, and that we understand your pain so well!

Fight :)

[This Message was Edited on 12/30/2009]
  3. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Sorry that you are feeling so horrible.

Just a is possible that some things you ate at the Chinese buffet contributed to your flare.

Many of the foods at a Chinese buffet have sauces and coatings that contain sugar and high fructose corn preservatives, etc.

Perhaps the sugar, etc makes your symptoms worse, like it does mine.

I have lyme, but the fibromyalgia pain I have, (a lyme symptom) gets much worse when I eat any form of sugar cane or corn syrup.
  4. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Heating pads, massage mats, bubble baths, chocolate (esp. dark chocolate, increases dopamine levels), yoga stretches (hold stretches for 20 seconds if possible, to get the oxygen and blood flowing properly), hangman game online or any games online to get your mind off of the pain.

I know all too well how you're feeling as I have been there a lot this year.

Love & Hugs!

I know this won't get rid of your pain, but any little distraction has helped me. I hope it helps you as well too![This Message was Edited on 12/30/2009]
  5. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

The food only contributes, but it wouldn't have mattered. I'd feel this bad even if we hadn't eaten anything out. This is what always happens to me when I try to do anything normal.

I'm still in massive pain now. But I got my UPS shipment, so I can rest now.
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Part of your problem could be that because you also still have the swine flu in addition to CFS, it is leaving you very wiped out, more than usual, after doing very little. There are some people who just can't seem to get rid of it. There was a news article last week about people who are still in hospital on respirators who were hospitalized back in September. They aren't dying, however, they are not getting any better and are pretty much comatose for the time being.
  7. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

You may have heard this before, but when I get ill from the flu, I do the BRAT diet.

Apples or Applesauce

Toast - buttered.

I sure hope that your pain is eased. What things have you done so far for the pain?

8. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member sorry, and I can so totally relate.....pretty much nothing does not result in a bad flare for me anymore

Fight - I totally understand not wanting to apply for disability, but if you are sure that you are going to need it, you should really do it as soon as takes a long time to go thru and if you wait until you really, really, really need it, you might wind up having a long time with nothing......and it also takes two yrs from the time that you apply until you are eligible for, it is really draining to go thru the whole application, so if you wait until you are physically and/or cognitively doing even worse, it will be that much more difficult to go thru the process
  9. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I do the B.R.A.T.T.Y. diet : )

add tea and yogurt to the usual BRAT stuff
  10. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

If you've got a link to that article, please post it, I'd really be interested in seeing it. All I have found lately is they keep trying to downplay this flu. I still have the mucus and cannot get rid of it. I don't think I ever fully got rid of swine flu. I don't think this is necessarily a leftover from it, I think I still have it. It's the same sticky goo all along. I never had anything like this in my life till I got swine flu. And I did read an article somewhere that other people reported having the same sticky mucus with this flu.

Regardless, the flare I have, this is typical for me. This is how my life has been for the last nineteen years. Any time I go out and try to do anything normal, this is exactly what happens to me. I get a flare like this, can't move for days. Nothing but tons of rest works on it and as little stress as possible.

And I'm still in massive pain today. I slept and it still has done no good. I'll be recovering from this flare for awhile. And as I only have a few days to clean in here for the inspection, I'll have to clean while trying to recover from this flare, which will only make it last even longer.

This January 7th marks the nineteenth anniversary of my becoming fully disabled with CFIDS. And it's still not going anywhere fast. No cure, no real treatment. No name change, and people still treat us like crap. Feels like not much has changed with it in nineteen years.

11. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

Really feel for you right now. I guess on the positive side you did get to go out with a friend and have a nice meal, but you are paying the price for it now. Its not fair that we should have to pay the price for doing nice things isnt it? It happens to me a lot too.

I do think that you should get that mucus trouble looked at by a doctor. It wouldnt hurt to do so.

You will be in my prayers...

12. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

I do relate.
    When i must leave my home, i am very limited to where i am going and what i need to do.
    I am totally collapsed down just from a go to the store trip.

Tea, does this happen to you cause it does me. After i eat, i pass out. No i'm not pigging out, just having a simple meal and out i go. My Blood Sugar is Normal, i recently had a
    A1C Test and Normal.

Pain, Fatigue and so called Normal things are disasterous as i well know what you mean.

Healthy New Year would be nice
  13. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I can totally relate. Good for you for even going out and doing the 'normal' things. I go to work and look normal, but realized that beyond that I don't go anywhere else. No errands, no grocery shopping. I know I'm fortunate to have a husband to do that for me otherwise I'd probably starve. I admire those that get out and do those things - yep those things that people take for granted every day.

I remember one night not that long ago, I sat on the floor for about 3 hrs Indian style with my legs crossed doing some inventory work for another job. Wow, just that sent me to the couch for the entire weekend, then after work for the next two nights after that. Ridiculous!

I really think you need to have a Dr. look at you. It's true that you're probably feeling 10x's worse because your body is fighting something (else). You know how easily fatigued and draining it is to do anything when you're sick.

It's not normal to have so much "goo", as you put it still hanging around. Not to be gross, but can you cough it up and look at it? Is it yellow or green? Pleeeeease go to the Dr. As mentioned, you need a sputum test.

I hope you're starting to feel a little bit better from the pain anyway. Keep resting and pampering yourself!
  14. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Butterflydream, passing out after eating is NMH/POTS. The blood goes to your stomach and lower intestines, makes you severely lightheaded or passout. I had the severely lightheaded after eating every time for years and years. I couldn't stand up for more than a few seconds without feeling like I was going to blackout. I made it better. But it took years and years for me to finally trace the cause. And it wasn't until after my mother passed away that I found it. Garlic and nitrates in the food. If you eat anything that has garlic or nitrates in it, it lowers your blood pressure and triggers NMH/POTS and this can happen up to 48 hours after you have eaten it. My mother used to cook with alot of garlic. Tons of fresh garlic in everything. I knew something in the food was doing this to me, but I didn't know what. And nitrates are in cold cuts and bacon. I loved bacon and would think the salt would help me to not get lightheaded, but it was working the opposite. Nitrates lower blood pressure, nitrates are the enemy of people with NMH/POTS. They are in bologna, turkey and ham slices, anything deli like that and some canned foods like hash and chili and they are in pepperoni, another favorite of mine. Cut all that out of your diet and read all the ingredients on garlic. Garlic is hidden in tons of foods. Soups, salad dressings, a million things, even different crackers. Garlic is a huge trigger for NMH/POTS as it lowers blood pressure for days at a time.

The mucus is clear, always has been, but it's this sticky stuff. And it's a weird combo of post nasal and bronchitis. Only since the swine flu, never had either before. Massive attack of it again tonight after dinner. Eating and drinking bring it on, but so does opening the window and letting fresh air in. After spitting it out for a good ten to fifteen minutes and choking on it, it seems to mostly stop. Kind of depends. Like right this minute, I'm done and it's not in the back of my throat. But most of the day, it's like having slime in the back of your throat all day and the back of your tongue. It's not something I can live with. Like it better go away. The only real change since I go the swine flu with it is that I'm not puking from it now. However, when it's choking me, I almost do. The cough is more than ninety nine percent gone. I really only cough now if it's choking me in my throat. The lungs feel pretty clear. However, I still get the odd feeling this comes from the left side. It's so weird. I just want it gone. i also have not been able to take any cold weather at all since I got the swine flu. Like way worse than usual. Can't take the cold. I still feel it's mostly viral.

I would have called the doc's office today, but everything is closed up till Monday for New Year's. And I still need to know when my inspection is. I didn't get the letter yet. I'll probably have it Monday and they'll look to come in on Wed. We only get two days notice. I have to do more cleaning in here till then.

I'm still flaring. The pain is better since I slept this time, but I still feel fatigued and in general awful. But I'm not in the screaming agony at the moment. Everything hurts, but not at the point of wanting every narc out there. Now it's more like if I don't move at all and just sit here, it's not as bad, but if I move around, owwww.

15. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

I had no idea about the NMH/POTS. I've been reading a bit upon this and Bingo, i really feel you hit this right on the nail. There is no question in my mind after reading upon this. It's very much in depth with the illness and symptoms i have these. i am speechless.

i need to gather info to sum all this up. Why in the world has any of my docs not discovered all this? It makes sense when i read upon it . I have many much of all this. Darn, i wish i would have known this in Dec. that's when i seen my rheumy last. Although i see my doc in Feb. Tea, i do eat garlic everyday/ i'm curious on the blood test part. Yes i have the positive ANA , tachycardia diagnosed when i was in my early 20's but way too many symptoms i have point in this direction. i could go on and on about this but i won't since this is your post here of you. I need to ask , any specific site you recommend. i don't want to miss anything that i really should know. I just had tests galore again. So much nausea, oh darn here i am going on again. Thanks for making me aware of this. i'd not heard of this and just shocked when i began reading when i searched. Any thing further, please let me know.
    i thought my passing out was cause i had gained so much weight, but i don't eat much to casuse passout.

Hope you get feeling better soon.
    i have much searching to do
  16. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Pretty much most sites on it have all the symptoms and info. You'll find it is you. It's a major cause for alot of our symptoms. The garlic is what is doing it to you, cut it out. We all make that mistake, we think garlic will help us, but in reality, it does the opposite and makes us a million times worse. Once you really cut it out of your diet and you cut out the nitrates, give it a few months and you will notice a huge difference. Add licorice to your diet, even just the black candy works. It will raise your blood pressure. Use salt. People like us NEED salt on our food. And try not to microwave food too much. I've found that when I don't mircowave for awhile, I'm better and when I go back to it, I get an NMH/POTS attack.
  17. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Yep, I'm applying soon, but I hate it. Thanks for caring and sharing the info!

18. loto

loto Member

I'm so sorry for your flare.
    last weekend I totally overdid it also. I put the Christmas tree and all decorations away and scrubbed floors, etc. I felt pretty good while doing it all, otherwise it wouldn't have gotten done, but the next few days after I paid for it 10x over! And, I have been fighting to get rid of all the nasal, chest crud also! I had a sinus infection come on a month ago, and I'm still trying to get it all out.
    Needless to say, this weekend I'm only allowing myself 1 task per day. Actually yesterday i managed to get 2 loads of laundry done, a bunch of dirty dishes washed, and gave the big dog a bath. And when I was all done I hurt so bad and couldn't even walk straight. My husband actually told me he was proud of my accomplishments! I couldn't believe I heard those words come out of his mouth! That made me really happy.
    People just don't understand that we can't do everything we used to be able to do without paying dearly.
    Hang in there teabisqit!
  19. Jayna

Jayna New Member

I've had recurrences of that ever since I had the flu in September. It took me all of October in bed to get rid of the main stuff and start breathing more or less normally, but the sticky mucus and exhaustion comes back in hard waves whenever I get over-extended ie by going out even if I don't do much. The only thing I've found that helps is to soak up the chicken soup and go to bed until my body can kick the virus's butt again. Good luck.