The Old Man Who Farms the Sea

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Waynesrhythm, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi All,

This is the title of an article that was published in the Los Angeles Times. I found it intriguing because it describes one man's thinking on how to successfully address rising sea levels from global warming, create a vast renewable source of energy, and produce huge volumes of food. Some very audacious thinking indeed. I'd be curious what anybody else might think of this article.

<a href=",0,7746036.story">The Old Man Who Farms the Sea</a>

Regards, Wayne
    [This Message was Edited on 07/16/2008]
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

Yes a very impressive thing Hodges has accomplished!,,,,,Sounds like he's been at this project for awhile,,,,and it's now very successful!,,,,,What a Genious idea!,,,,,salicornia seems to be the Mirical plant to help save the Planet!,,,,Thanks for an interesting read!,,,,,,,,,,,,Sisland
    [This Message was Edited on 07/17/2008]
  3. bct

bct Active Member

The fact that he's using Salicornia is what interests me. I've never eaten it, but my partner had it in an English restaurant once. Called Samphire, I believe, in common parlance. Grows all around the world; I've seen it around Humboldt Bay near where I live, growing in the salt marshes. No one seems to eat it here, though. A new industry, perhaps, to be developed?