the parrots are back

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sunflowergirl, Dec 23, 2006.

1. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

What a wonderful surprise this morning when I went out to pick up the paper and saw/heard them in the tree. At least 35 bright green/red parrots. It's been sooooo long since they've been to our little town.

They are not indigenous to So. Calif. but what started out about 30 years ago as some escaped parrots, has now turned into huge flocks. Lots of people hate them because they can be noisy but I love them.

2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

they are Christmas parrots, since they are red and green! I'd like to see them too!
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Read a book last year w/ a title like The Wild Parrots of San Francisco. The author used to feed a flock of about 40 that came to his balcony every day.
  4. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

They sound delightful. Are you going to feed them?
  5. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

WOW!! that is sooo neat! where I live there are no parrots!!! if a bird got loose from their indoor home, they would this is so interesting to me....what can happen when indoor pets get outside free...
  6. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

There were about 50 that came to the tree across the street. It has red berries on it and it sounded like popcorn as they crunched on them. This morning there were about 200 flying around but they didn't land. This is so exciting.
  7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

That is so cool!

I live in the midwest so obviously I do not have parrots outside my door. I am a HUGE bird lover and I think that would just make you feel better seeing something beautiful like that!

Thanks for sharing!