The Photo Album In My Head

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't know whether anyone else does this, but if I don't have a camera handy, I take "mental pics." When I want to relax, I just bring up the images in my mind and enjoy them. Back when my kids were little, we took a lot of pics, but every now and then, I would hold one of the girls' faces in my hands and just take a mental picture. I told them, "I want to always remember just how you look today." I can still see their cute little faces in my mind. These images are more vivid to me than looking at old pics.

On my last visit to Atlanta, I took just such a pic as I didn't have camera in hand at the moment. My kids have a very steep driveway with the mailbox at the bottom. When they were training their dog, my daughter would let him walk her to the mailbox and she would give him a piece of junk mail to carry back in his mouth so he would feel like he was doing something useful. When Andy came along, he went with them as soon as his little legs could carry him. He also got a piece of mail to help carry back.

I was standing at the top of the driveway by the garage when the three of them came up the slope. There was my beautiful daughter with the day's mail, Nigel proudly carrying his mail in his mouth, and Andy striding up the drive like a little man on a mission with his piece of mail. My heart just about split open with the tenderness of the scene. I will never forget it.

BTW, my friends and I always take pics with our phones as well as our cameras. When we get together, instead of albums, we swap phones to catch up on our friends and families. Basically, our phones have become our electronic photo albums. I can remember my Mom's carrying a little album in her purse with pics of my daughters to show her friends. Her purses always had to be big enough to accommodate the album. I still miss my Mom so much but I also have pics of her in my mental album in my head. When I find myself missing her, I just bring up her smiling face and it comforts me.

Love, Mikie
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

Yep!,,,i can relate ,,,I do this all the time!,,,,the Memories are fresh in my mind at all times!,,,,sometimes i forget the camera and --or Batteries run out!,,,,when visiting my girls a few weeks ago ,,,My youngest aquired a new lab puppy while i was there and needless to say she's in love with the "New Baby" at her age of 22,,,,lol

She named him Frankie,,,,,,,anyway she's outside running around with him in tow saying "come'on Frank you can keep up",,,,He's just a little ball of black fur,,,running around behind her and eventualy catching up to her pant leg!,,,,,,So Cute!,,,,,,,Like you say these Memories are stored away forever in our minds,,,and will never be forgotten!

Love the story about your Daughter ,,,,Andy ,,,,and Nigel,,packing the mail up the driveway!!,,,,,,I can picture it too!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Love Sis
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm glad I'm not the only "Camerahead" here.

The puppy sounds adorable. I'm in love with him just hearing about him. I don't thing there is anything cuter than Lab puppies.

Nigel is probably a Newfoundland/Chow mix. He is almost as big as a Newfie and has webbed feet. His head looks just like a Newfie but he has the black gums and tongue. He doesn't have a curled tail, though, and that is usually predominant in Chow mixes. His tail is like a huge black plume and very beautiful. He's such a nice dog. My daughter had two orange Chow/Pit Bull mixes who died within a year of one another. It broke her heart and I didn't know if she could ever love another dog. I am so thankful for Nigel as he is such a sweetheart.

I always buy toys for the granddogs. I bought him a little read teddy bear some time ago and there is nothing left but the outer skin. It's dirty and lies around in the back yard. My daughter told him that Grandma Mikie was coming to visit and he ran out and dragged in his old toy I had given him. They are much smarter than we usually give them credit for. I've been trying to upload a pic of me lying on the floor next to Nigel for my profile but have had problems. I e-mailed it to Jorgie and he is going to try to place it in my profile. The problem with black dogs is that it's hard to get a good pic of them which shows the details of their faces.

Thanks for sharing. I'm smiling just thinking about little Frankie.

Love, Mikie
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

Nigel sounds like a wonderful Dog!,,My sister has 2 Newfoundlands,,,,and they are wonderful,,,,,The Chows are such gorgeous Dogs also!,,yes i buy toys for the granddogs too!,,,,,,as now i have acumulated 6,,,,all 3 of my girls each have 2 dogs!,,,,,,,,as you say they are so smart!,,i actually believe they know what we are saying to them!,,,,,maybe i'm crazy but it seems like they understand perfectly!,,,,,,,,,,I hope you have a wonderful trip!!,,,,,,,,Do you have your Camera ready to go?,,,,,,lolol,,,,,Sis,,,,,,p.s. Frankie has to be held now or he whines,,,,omg!
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That's wonderful. I get my "pet fix" vicariously through others' pets. I always had pets until I lost my old cat about 10 years ago. I was sooooo busy working days and nights that I didn't think it fair to get another. Mr. Big was so old that he was content to sleep most of the time. Then, I got sick and could barely take care of myself. After my Mom died, I just didn't think I could take another loss, so I decided not to get another pet. I may change my mind at some point. Right now, I'm trying to work part time and usually end up resting in between, so I don't have the energy to give to a pet. They are so giving themselves that they deserve a guardian who can give back.

This last year has been one infection after another and now I am on a blood-thinning regimen. That means Herxing, which leaves me exhausted. I am just thankful that I have been able to continue to work through it all. It must mean I'm getting better.

Frankie has figured out how to get held. That is so cute.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Love, Mikie
  6. sisland

sisland New Member

It's very understandable as to why you don't have a pet now! There are some gals that live in this complex where i live that have made that decision,,,,and for the same reasons that you describe,,,,,,so when Lucky and i are out walking they always stop to pet him and say Hey!,,,,,,,,,,,,He's still kind of a Puppy so gets kind of excited ,,,,,anyway ,,,,,Feel Better!

Happy Thanksgiving to you also Dear!
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That you and Lucky can provide some love for the pet lovers who, like me, have decided not to have a pet.

We have a sweet couple here who had an 18 year old dog named, Gina Marie. She was the sweetest dog I think I have ever seen. She loved everyone. I told the couple that I felt healing coming from her. They said they had heard that many times from other people. They had rescued Gina Marie from an abusive situation when she was a puppy. She gave so much to all of us. Eventually, she got too old and could no longer walk, so she is now in Doggie Heaven but I think she watches over us. There are other dogs here who give me my "fix" but it's not like a pet of one's own.

Love, Mikie
  8. findmind

findmind New Member

How sweet your post was; I could just see you holding those faces in your memory; even with our severe cognitive defects this seems to be one we haven't lost, thank goodness.

Our 7 y.o. shepherd has a tumur wrapped around her esophagus, narrowing it. So we have to use a food processor, soak her 3 cups a day overnite in water, then blend it with olive oil into a pudding

She eats 6 times a day, 1/2 cup at a time, from a spoon! What a slurpy mess sometimes; the floors are washed constantly; thank god they are tiled. It's so funny; when the bowl in empty, we cannot just walk away to clean it; we have to let her lick the spoon and bowl clean. Then she licks our hand to thank us. She is doing so well, and we thought we'd lose her by now, but no, she's maintaind her weight and looks great.

One of my fav mental pics is of my 2 ddaughters when they were about 2 and 4. They were all dressed up for Easter in little dresses, light coats and hats, and standing holding hands. It is an adorable image of pure innocence.

I've always said to people who play out the traumatic images of their past that they can't change the past, just how they think about it! I live by that rule.

Thanks for the wonderful post!
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am visualizing how sweet that Easter pic must be. I still love Easter and just the thought of little girls dressed up, eggs, and chocolate bunnies sets my heart astir.

I am glad your dog is doing so well. I've sent up a little prayer for her. People come into the store and tell me about the things they do to extend their pets' lives. It's amazing the love we have for them and the love they give so freely.

Thank you for sharing with us. I enjoyed your post so much.

Love, Mikie