the physiological changes that take place when stressed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sunflowergirl, May 15, 2013.

1. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I read this recently and felt it applied to me.....I've GOTTA START MEDITATING!

Apparently when we become upset chemical changes occur. Stress hormones are released and then you become habituated to increased muscle tension, heart rate, and blood pressure. The stress hormone "catecholamine" (adrenaline-like hormone) is released during acute anger. When you experience chronic anger and frustration during the day, there is an excess of cortisol, a hormone that INCREASES agitation, and a decrease of serotonin, which calms you down. An excess of catecholamine can create anxiety, apprehension and fear. In addition, catecholamine speeds up the heart and can cause cardiac problems. An excess of cortisol leads to increased vigilance and a restless mind. You experience an exaggerated startle response, sounds appear louder, and lights seem brighter. During chronic anger and frustration, low levels of serotonin make it much harder to feel happy and fulfilled, which can lad to depression. Concurrently the endorphins that create a sense of joy literally dry up, resulting in poor relationships with people.
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

sunflowergirl - Meditation is great, I do best when I do it regularly. Before I started doing it, I never knew you could turn off the ceaseless chatter and agitation in the brain. It was great being able to do so. A really good book which helped me get started is the Relaxation Response by Herbert Benson - it's an old one, but good. He is a cardiologist who got interested in meditation as a way of lowering blood pressure and he gives a very simple method for meditation. Good luck!

3. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

thanks for the suggestion of the book. I'm going to check with the library. I keep trying's hard to stop my brain from thinking up new things to think about!!!!!
  4. neoplus1

neoplus1 Member

Another good book is called Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Gunaratana. He has some other wonderful books. Jon Kabat-Zinn has written some books and has some guided meditations as well.

I love meditation and Qigong and they have helped quite a bit with my pain, sleep, response to stress, and just overall health and well being. I think these types of practices can be very helpful in healing, coping, and as a preventative for a lot of the lifestyle related diseases when combined with diet, good sleep, etc.