The Porch Vol 129 is CLOSED see Vol 130

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ckball, Aug 13, 2007.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

Hi everyone, I thought I would jump in get things started for a new week- Carla
    [This Message was Edited on 08/17/2007]
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i had my surgery today..all is well so far so good.

hand and fingers were pretty much numb till tonight, it is wearing off now. feel some pain so i guess i should take some pain med. they just bandaged it up and sent me home.

cody was very good to me. he even opened and closed my car door for me...w/o asking him. then i had to ask him to open my bottled water. no issues. very sweet to me.

now i am going to ask him to take me to big lots to buy school supplies. i look like crap but what the heck do i care?

i am hoping i can go get my college books and get my voucher for 200.00 towards my books. then i have call state vo-rehab and see what they w/do for me.

my tuition is already paid for from the state due to my financial income. so state voc-rehab hasn't needed to pay me much of anything.

plus i get about 5k for the year. and i get my scholarship so that is cool...since my child support is non-existent right now. i have money saved for this i am fine.just hate dipping into it.

jen what the heck are u doing? same thing i am...

well i need to keep this short.(lol)but my hand is hurting and need my med.

dr said the more i move my hand the better i will heal.

well just informing you all my surgery has been fine so far.

can't get it wet for two days...can't have cody dress me so i have to be resourceful.

joe and linda you both take care of your health stuff if you don't i am sending out guido to get rid of the problems for you both...

hey i am listening to my ray charles. relaxing for me.

by for now everyone hugs to granni, sweetie1,jen,rockgor,ckball,ck-ln, annie c and marta, did i forget anyone?

3. ckball

ckball New Member

Glad to hear everything went well. I've been busy building you a house :) well a house but not yours,hehe. Should have my living room and hall done tomorrow.

I have been doing doggie training, do great with treats, no treats not so great. Still a work in progress.

I'm turning in for the night, but will leave the light on for the left coasters.

Nity-nite and don't let the bed bugs bite

and don't forget to go read Vol 128!
  4. Sparky120166

Sparky120166 New Member

Just wondering about your hand surgery. I have surgery on both hands due to complications of Raynauds Phen. Distal Sympathectomies--basically had to do bypass surgeries thru my palms, wrists and 8 fingers. Just curious about your diagnosis. I'm doing great with my hands now but is has been 3 years and the Dr said I may have to repeat in 5 years or so.
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i had laproscopic surgery today...he said most people are able to do light typing 2-3 days after surgery. he entered at the wrist area..i will see the actual suture site in another day or so..

pain was really bad a few hours ago so i had to increase my med...he said in 2 weeks i should be fine...and full recovery in a month...i w/feel it if i slammed my palm on something..

prognois is very good...

i need the left hand done next...i am trying to get this done in between college semesters.

need to go

6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i just re-read your post on 128...i am doiong fine..they encurage you to use your hand for eating, typing...but no lifting anything for two weeks he said...they gave me a print out of things to do/and not.

worse thing w/be styling my hair...can't hold that hair dryer...i will survive...

well i was in alot of major pain tonight, but iced it down and had to double up on my meds...cody told me the pharmicist said i could use 5 pills if i wanted to...i decided only 2.

cody drove me to staples for computer paper and ink for the printer. then we had dinner out tonight...then i went home caue it felt like my hand was on fire and slammed in a car door.

but doing better is more tender around the inner wrist thumb are at this time...

shoot i can't get in the pool for 2 weeks...i w/just have to use ck's duck tape and wrap a bag around my wrist and make due...just won't be able to do any fancy smancy diving.

7. ckball

ckball New Member

Welcome to the Porch and the board. I read you post last night about being new and was just too tired to reply.

Sounds like you have had a rough time too. I have multiple dxs too. dxs=diagnosis's. I had rectal cancer in 1995 and never got back to my old self, every active, social, ect.

In 2002 I found a wonderful Dr that dxs me with CFS, Fibro, RA, Osteo in my spine and all major joints and hands, hemochomotosis ( a iron overload disease) that is why I had a phelbotomy yesterday. It is a genetic disease. One of the men on the Porch is Mrdad or Joe-Joe has the same dxs as I do.

I am glad you found this site, there are many good, understanding and compassionte people hear. I'm sure you have seen there are other message boards here for each disease.

Prohealh gave us this Chit-Chat one for those that want to share other ideas and feelings not medical related so the other boards wouldn't be clogged up with our chitter chattering that upset others looking for help and would click on a thread that had pictures of your animals or crafts.

We have a lot of animal lovers and crafters here. I am the resident stained glass artist and home rehaber.

When you are reading a thread you can click on the user name and read their profile. You can create your own bio by clicking on the "Edit Profile" on the top right.

You may also post a picture if you like. People like reading the profile to get to know you a little better and answer your question.

So welcome our Porchlight Volumes. It was created on the idea of days way back when people use to sit on their front porchs and visit with the neighbors. Oh I forgot to mention, we have a lodge with a fireplace for the cold days, a lake for the hot days, a hot tub for the sore muscles. Everyone has their own chair and blankie with your name on it. Plus we have porch swings and gliders too if you want to go a swingin.

We bring food and drinks, all are no calories :) So since I am hosting this volume I have brought in fresh, warm donuts, eclairs and tea and coffe so we can all get a sugar and caffein fix for the day, so eat up and enjoy.

You will see mention of SMG, she is our nun Sister Mary Gregory, she watches over us and she makes sure we behave, but there are times we still do as we want and have a few wild parties that have led to skinny dippin and lampshades. We like our fantansy porch where we just have fun and make up stories and try to keep things light and funny, a break from the diseases we suffer from.

We look forward to your postings and hope you find some new freinds that you can share with. Carla or ckball
    BTW_There are 2 Carla's the other Carla is Carlanl, she lives in the Netherlands, so most call me ck to keep the confusion down.
  8. ckball

ckball New Member

Glad your still doing ok. My daughter has very long thick hair, I guess her surgery was a little more evasive because she had to wait a week before getting her hand wet.

So bathing and washing her hair was a pain, her hubby helped her. Plus no shirts with buttons, easy pull on stuff works best,

The duck tape and double up on the large freezer bags works great. Remember my awful cat bites? That is what I did so I could sit in my whirly pool.

That is what I will do when I get my toe operated on.

Hope you have a good day. I am going to install baseboards today- yeah! Carla

9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i had a sleepless night, pain and ice. but right now hand is feeling pretty good, minus any sleep.

so i got up at around 5:30 am and started to go thru crap in my bathroom, no pun intended. i threw out old stuff filled up a tall kitchen trash can of stuff.

i w/try and take a nap after i call my mother. i guess she was up worrying about my sister, jens2angels...i haven't heard from my sister.

she said there is no history of heart problems in our family, but i think she forgot my (our) dad had a stroke sometime ago.

and my (our) brother has too high of level of the bad cloesterol..//or the other one was too low that the dr's were concerned. plus he is not a smoker.

well i am sleepless in novato....

i am signing off because i told my mother yesterday i would call her.

sorry i don't have the high protein bars/low glycemic w/high fiber out yet...but too darn tired to eat yet...

i will have to set them out later on for brunch.

10. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I am sorry that so many are "extra" sick or in more pain than normal. I wish we could all feel good for one day. Reading the last couple of The Porch threads made me realize how many different problems we all face. So here are special feel better wishes to Jodie, Jen, MrDad, Marta, Rock, CK, NL, & Linda. Gee...that is most of the Porch visitors!

Well, I need to run to the bushes to I find Marta waiting for me.

11. laceymae

laceymae New Member

How is everyone? I've been feeling really bad for a few days and haven't posted.

I've got the hummingbird feeders cleaned and filled up, stop by and watch em fight a while. They are really fun to watch, but just don't wear a nightgown with red flowers next to one. found out the hard way, didn't know I could move so fast.

Not much happening in my world this week, until Thursday when we start moving in the dorm...

I don't know about you guys, but things are getting a little crazy on the other board, I think it is safer here with my fellow porchies.

Love to all
  12. jens2angels

jens2angels New Member

Feeling a little better today. My heart hasn't been jumping so much, so maybe it is the nasty infection I haven't been able to get rid of.

Jodie, I didn't forget about dad's stroke. That's not really cardiac related though, that's more neuro vascular.

My long distance is off right now so I can't call anyone long distance.

I do think I am going to go lay down now though, still feeling drained and I have to start my ambulance orientaion tomorrow.
  13. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Wow you all, I don't know who to address firswt with all your problems. Also have to leave for a short practice this afternoon and then to church tonight. It will be another rushy afaternoon and evening !!

Just wanted to say that I was thinking about you all and would echo Sweetie. It sounds like alot of the board is having health problems (more) than athe usual - Linda, Carlas, Rock, Mrdad, Joe, Jens and Lacey and whoever else I mayhave forgotten I am sorry.

Hi Sparky - glad to meet you !!

Mucho BIG hugs and blessings to all,

14. ckball

ckball New Member

I just got a call to from the NH, my mom had an episode, they had moved her from the bed to the wheelchair to go give her a shower and then she went out like a light, Totally unresponsive for at 45-60 seconds. Her BS was 216, normal for her and BP was a little high 158/90 but pale, cold and clammy. When they got her back in bed, w/o the shower she got nauseous had dry heaves and complaining of back pain, more than usual.

She did come back around and was talking but not quite right, I called her, while the NH waited to here form the Dr, and she asked me about her dog Spot, that was her dog when I was a toddler. She said he had been sleeping under the covers with her last night.

They called the Dr and he said send her to the ER,so I am off to the ER to meet them. I just happen to be on here when I got the call, I was taking a break. So I went ahead and cleaned up waiting for the ambulance, it is condsidered a non-emergency so I had a few minuttes. Please say a prayer and I will be back when I can. Take care-Carla
    [This Message was Edited on 08/14/2007]
  15. Marta608

Marta608 Member

... many prayers for CarlaB and her mom. I hope all is well there and with you. Thank you for turning on the Porch light. We'll keep it on and your chair ready for you when you get back.

Jodie, I'm glad to hear that your surgery went well and you can still type. That would be tough if not! Good for our boy, Cody, for stepping up to the job of Mother's Best Guy in her time of need. There's nothing like a good son.

Sparky, nice to meet you. I like your profile picture.

Sweetie! Pssssssssst, over here! I found this wonderful little glen between the trees, by the stream. It's cool and filled with birdsong. I brought my bankie with me for us to sit on. Come relax with me and tell me what's going on in your world.

Lacey, I laughed out loud at the image of you being chased by a hummingbird. Yours are a lot more determined than ours.

Jen, good to hear that you're better.

Marilyn, I hope practice went well.

Hugs all around the porch and special ones to our friend, Ck.

16. ckball

ckball New Member

First thank you all for your prayers and hugs as they worked. Mom is ok, her eyes were pinned so they gave her Narcan and she came around. I have a family meeting Thurs at the NH, we do it 4 times a year as a progress report, so I am going to discuss her meds.

I did call the nurse that called me today and asked what she was on now and it was 25 mg Duragestic patch a 5mg percocet at 9 am & 9 pm, not hardly enough to cause her to go out and unresponsive for 45 seconds, cold, clamy and really pale.

All tests were fine except a small UTI, so she went back to the NH after 5 hours of waiting. So basically they don't know what caused it but if it happens a couple more times then they will dig deeper, their words.

She got kind of wild after the narcan, she was freezing and I bet they heard her out in the parking lot screaming about it, so they had to give her Geodon sp? to calm her down. She gets it only when she throws these fits.

I will go see her after my foot Dr appt tomorrow.

I'm glad to see Marta and Sweetie come in from the bushes and Linda sorry you are still having a hard time. My hips have been giving me trouble this week too. I had to walk to the hospital Wendy's maybe a block and half and I was hurting so bad by the time I got back. Then sitting in those comfy ER chairs, NOT.

Well my tub is filled, I need to put my dogs in it with me. I have been doing pretty good on the dog training, then I was gone most of yesterday and then again today, they went out and found a pud muddle and just wallared. Twy's neck is caked with mud. However, I did teach both of them to count to 3, really. I do speak 1 and they bark once, then I say 2 and they do it twice, after consistant results going back and forth I then went to 3 and I got 3 barks everytime. Small things make me happy :)

I probably be back late tomorrow, early morn appt to see if I get to keep my toe, at this point I'm ready to cut it off, well I might want to think that one over, but you know what I mean. :) Then go see mom and some errands.

Looks like baseboards will have to wait a few more days, but I did get 1/2 the room done and shoe moeding too.

Thanks again, I really don't know what I would do with you guys Big huggles back and take care- Nity nite. Carla
  17. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

hamilton since he has just been a peeping tom for the last few would be nice to atleast introduce his pompus self.

my exhb has really met him, he was a jerk expecting to sit closer to the presidential inaguaration of senior bush when reagon went out...i could tell you some stories..also arnold swarzenager and his witchy wife back then...

phyllis diller she always loved the coasties we had the most handsome men in the presidential honor guard..she used to like to grab their tushes...she was something else..

i am making homemade chicken noodle soup in my crock pot. i threw a bag of frozen mixed veggies in it as well..

cody's girl friend an her family gave me some pretty flowers from her grammy's flower garden, along w/some red rasberries and strawberries. i shall share all my goods to pay homage for all of your kind words and support thru everything i have been thru and w/continue go thru....hopefully more happier things for us all.

i need to stir the pot of soup...then will sit everything out for us all....anyone got whip cream for the berries..

ck i hope your mother is was scarry i am sure for her and you both.

well everyone my hand is feeling much better...he said that most people return back to light typing after 2-3 days after surgery...

now i am not all worried about getting my left wrist done///

well i need to do some things

hi to u all tonigt

18. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i got in w/a counselor found out i need a sheet of paper stating i can take one more credit this sememester for the disability counselor. so i have appt at 3 pm tomarrow for that.

then thursday i can drop in in the morning or afternoon for the 200.00 book voucher. so then i need to get ahold of the state voc re-hab counselor and ask her what is she going to pay for...i would love a computer chair for home. and a desk at home but doubt they w/accomodate me in that way...

i may not even go thru them so far i get everything pretty much covered through scholarships and pell grants etc.

that's a first time for me, when i was a youngster i had to pay for everything plus rent to my parents,,,work full time...take care of my brother and sister...cook, clean etx. i was resentful about that...but atleast i can say i did pay for everything w/o the help of them...

that is why i am glad cody doesn't have to do i did.

my section 8 rent went up about 250.00 a month...starting in october...but hoping i get it lowered since i applied for the modification today...

so i have been busy...

linda ck mr.joe rock marta sweetie grannine and of course my sister you all take care of yourselves.

i have oatmeal and raisin cookies in the oven right now. should i go get milk for them?

19. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I am typing w/ one hand and eating Gordon's Jello w/ the other. I was somewhat shocked the first time I saw Jello at the market. Some people can't make Jello...???

Anyway things are quiet in this patch of Los Angeles. Assuming one ignores the car alarms, the sirens, the traffic, the helicopters, the ...Everybody should have a porch to get away from it all.

Thank you for your kind words, Sweetie. Have things cooled off in N.C. yet? Say hello to Annie Cromwell for me and wish her the best. We used to chat a lot about ancestors and such.

Granni, thank you for saying I have a fantasic crazy sense of humor. Personally I have always considered myself a very serial person.

You're right, Marta. Never did finish The Elephant's Daughter. Still waiting for the Kingsolver book. And, as Rosie in Scotland pointed out, one of my relatives is discussed in the book.

Sounds like you got hit twice, Linda. Shot in the hip and again in the pocketbook. One has to wonder how much good modern medicine does if only the wealthy and the insured can afford it. My last office visit cost over $2,000, and I seriously doubt all those tests were necessary. They had all been done 2 years earlier.

I remember when the dr. came to your house, charged $3.00 and gave you an RX which you took to the drugstore 2 blocks away. Cost $1.79 to fill same. Nowdays they charge more just to sit in the waiting room.

Sorry you are not your usual bouncy self, MrDad. Hope you are better soon. A speedy recovery to you too, Jodie. You know most folks on the board already have multiple problems, In a well-run universe, there would be some limit on how many medical problems a person can have at one time.

Think I will stop for a while. Don't want this all to vanish in an electronic puff. Couldn't play bridge y-day cause the site was shut down for refurbishing. Better go investigate and see what's up in the world of "take your tricks and run".

Hugs to all

20. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

as Minnie Pearl used to say.

Well, MSN fixed their bridge site. Now I can't get on it. Used to be I could get on and would get thrown out after a couple hands. May not be progress, but it's movement.

I admire your spirit, Carla. If I did a home project I would have to hire workers to fix it. They would probably bring their friends around to have a good laugh. "Wait till you see what he tried next..."

Yes, Gordon put the a/c back together in no time at all.

Your trip to the ER sounds scary, Jens. Sorry to hear you are feeling uncomfortable at work. Remember the old saying: what life hands you a bunch of eggshells, make lemonade.

Hi Dianne. I have never met Mr. Newman, but there is a guy named Paul Neuman in one of Gordon's orchid clubs. When I was an insurance adjuster many decades ago I had a claim at Paul Newman's favorite restaurant. Forgot the name. It was a small, rural establishment in Ventura County.

Our insured had attempted to entry the premises w/o using the door and w/o leaving his vehicle.

Carla nl, are your legs still blue? Is this a painful condition? Can't anybody figure out what's going on?

Welcome to the porch, Sparky. Carla did a nice job of setting forth the history and attributes of the porch. I like your profile picture. How old is your Pekinese?

Ok, Kids. Keep trudgin' and keep comin' back.