The Porchlight #975 IS NOW CLOSED June 1, 2017

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Jun 1, 2017.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

Com'on in. Pull up a chair. Sit yourself down.

The big news on the tomato front is that Gordon brought in a colander full
    yesterday. Musta been at least three dozen in there. But he never eats any.
    I am forced to consume them all. Well, somebody has to etc.

Hugs
    Rock

[​IMG]
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Morning, Dear Porchies,

garden4.jpg

I'm up and at 'em. It's too early to know how I feel but, so far, it's better than yesterday. DD sent a pic of the receipt for my undelivered gift so I'm gonna go to the post office. I need to stop at Lowe's and swap out the water filter for my fridge. AACCKK!! I hate doing these kinds of things. I also need to run to Comcast and swap out this tired old cable box which I have to boot up every morning. Seems their equipment doesn't last long before they have to rebuild it.

Rock, yes, it's a juicy job but somebody has to do it. It isn't a lot of work to cook and can the tomatoes if you can't eat them all. Cooked ones are even more healthy than raw ones. I wish we had some place in our bldg. which gets full sun but everything is either shade or partial shade. As it is, I don't have the NRG to take care of anything. I did manage to water our potted plants yesterday. If I had extra tomatoes, I'd fix the Italian salad with tomatoes, spinach, and raw mozzarella cheese topped with some Balsamic vinegar. Mmmmm! Thanks for getting us up and running on the new Porch.

Sun, I will keep you in my prayers as I do for several others here and in my hood and family. I just sent one up for you. That's funny about your tipsy neighbor. Do you suppose she drinks when she paints? Does she paint still life pictures of wine bottles? I wonder what acrylic paint would be like thinned out with alcohol. A new medium perhaps. In your art classes, do y'all have a chance to have showings and sell your paintings? We have an Alliance of The Arts here where they have classes and showings. I keep thinking I'll go but, of course, never do because there are other more pressing things on my plate. I'll keep praying for you.

I'm outta here. I hope all y'all have a great day.

Love, Mikie
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    springwater and rockgor like this.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Home again, home again, jiggity jig! I showered and did my hair and stopped at the post office. The man was soooo nice and he knows our carrier, Rose. I told him how great she is and how much we love her. He said he thinks she was off when the package was 'sposda have been delivered. He took my phone no. and they will start tracking it. Then, I set off waaaay out east to Comcast. They have moved waaaaay out northeast. So I drove out there and couldn't find it. Because I have so little data on this phone, I don't use the nav app. I'll be glad when kids put me on their unlimited plan. I was so tired, hungry and not feeling well that I stopped at Burger King and came home. I'll go another day. Same for the fridge filter at Lowe's. I am having trouble breathing and the right side of my chest hurts so I think I still have a bit of the crud or my allergies are really bad. I had a chest x-ray last Aug. and it was clear. In any case, I'm not going to sweat it; things could always be worse. It's just a cluster covfefe!

When I got home, the lady downstairs complained about our shrimp plants because they don't look good from neglect and they are dropping their blooms which put out an awful smell. She wants to tear them out and I told her to have at it. I'm sick of hearing her complain. If left to their own devices, they would fill the little atrium area with hideous garden things and garish pots. As it is, she has a statue of a little girl with a wheel barrow she painted in metallic gold and blue. I know not everybody has the same taste and that's why we try to keep things more subdued. Their condo is also...shall I say, interesting.

I checked my mail and I got a new license plate. Every so many years, FL sends out new ones instead of just the little sticker. I'm glad because my old one was getting icky. Think I'll look for a snazzy new license plate holder. The old one from the dealer is also getting icky. The Highlander is 14 years old and I don't wash it as often as I should but I do try to keep it looking the best I can. It really doesn't look its age but it's only got 40,000 miles on it. It was good for it to get out on I-75 to blow out the carbon gunk. Actually, I get oil changes so often, and use gas with cleaners in it, that I don't think there is much buildup. My mechanic laughs at me. If everyone took as good care of their cars as I do, he'd probably go out of business. He does the preventive maintenance on it and once replaced a sensor but that's it. I had the timing belt changed and water pump replaced a while back to prevent its breaking. Even if it did, it has a free running engine so it wouldn't have damaged it. Still, who wants to have one's car stop running out on the road?

My kids, including DGS, laugh at me because I took my Girl Scout pledge seriously--Always be prepared. All I can say is that I'm glad I was prepared when Hurricane Charley hit. Life brings so many things for which we can't be prepared that I figure I should prepare for what I can. Always goes back to the Serenity Prayer. I can't control everything but I do try to stay on top of those things which I can control. The wisdom to know the difference is the tricky part. I say, Give it all you've got and then turn it over to God.

OK, stepping down off my philosophical soap box. Hope everydobby is having a great day.

Love, Mikie

Addendum: I just booked my flights to TX for Thanksgiving. Last year, I booked in July and there were only a couple of seats left. I had a better selection this time. Of course, I bought cancellation insurance. TX kids are visiting me this month. Woo Hoo!!!
  4. rockgor

Hi Kids

I just woke up, and Gordon just left to do errands. Today is his birthday. While he's
    gone I think I'll order a bounce house and invite all the neighbors. You can rent the
    one in the pic from Toys Backwards R Us *for only $800. There's also one from China
    you can buy for $6000. Yikes!

[​IMG]
    Mikie, that's a great pic. Very serene. With regard to license plates, they were yellow
    on black when I moved to California. But that was discontinued in 1969. For a long
    time they were yellow on blue. Now they are dark blue on white. The latest is that for
    fifty bucks you can get the old yellow and black ones again. As the songs says, "Everything
    old is new again."

Gordon is back. Wants me to go to the library with him. Am too weary to go anywhere
    but bed.

Hugs, Kids
    Rock

*That's the way Dave Barry spells it.
    bct and Mikie like this.
  5. springwater

springwater Well-Known Member

View attachment 1271 Hi!

Lovely picture, Mikie. Those vines bursting with bloom!

That's exciting about the upcoming visits. I don't understand what is bringing in your allergies soften and why they didn't affect yousomuchbefore. The immune system?

Rock - those tomatoes must'be yum!! We make a chutney here of onion , garlic, ginger
    Green chili, coriander leaves and cumin seeds. It serves to wolf down evenplain boiled rice. one fries it in mustard oil.

The computer tried not to let me I but I gave the nasty gremlin a kick on its backside and muscled me way in. Now nasty is tampering with thespacing.

Yesterday eve was cool. I took the opportunity to get some outside errands done and also bought some new tees for son. Made himdrive me to a point where I could meet my brother and hand him a handbag and a Kirtipur which i don't want to use. Birthday gifts. The bag is too small for my nick backs and umbrella n all and the Kurti, I have a similar one. They were bday gifts. I amNOT going to keep stuff I am not using immediately. One of my SIMPLIFY LIFE and be MORE at peace resolutions.

when buying sons tees I made sure I deviated a little from his usual black, and navy.

I chose lighter colors and a jazzier one. He was with me so he could try them on. He was performing two evenings with other rappers so it came in handy.

I also bought cheese and big green pimentos and made erma thaksey..a curry of boiled cheese,0potato, butte, onions and pepper. One can add mushrooms or tomatoes if one likes.

A few plums survived the torrential rains. I picked them. Last year there wassomuchfruit.

View attachment 1271

Wish I knew how to downsize size of photo. Will delete later
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Mikie likes this.
  6. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

Rock:. So what are you going to do with all those tomatoes? Years ago I planted a lot and they were looking so healthy, and jam packed with gorgeous tomatoes. Then a possum struck, nibbled one, nibbled another, and another. I fought back and bought netting and covered it completely. Went out the next day and somehow it had gotten in again and nibbled more. That night I turned a bright light on it all night....he was back again. I was so angry that I picked every last green tomato over 15 lbs. of them. I kept thinking how much fried green tomatoes could we eat. They sat on trays in the kitchen and over about 10 days ripened really good and were some of the best ever. That was the last time I planted tomatoes.

Spring: Your tomato chutney sounds delicious. I've never tried it but maybe I should. I buy roasted green tomatillo salsa from Trader Joe's and find it absolutely necessary for everything. Those are really green tomatoes.

Mikie: Glad to read you're planning your thanksgiving trip!

I've been busy trying to organize my studio a bit better. This is the only place now where I can put the litter boxes, so yesterday I tore things apart. Decided yesterday evening I could put wheels on a wire cart with shelves I use to hold small art supplies. So after I bought the wheels and screws I attempted to drill holes with my cordless drill. OMG....soooo hard trying to get it to go thru the metal. I got one done and need 3 more done, but my shoulders and neck were screaming so decided I shouldn't proceed but wait until I could get my SIL to do it.

Tomorrow I have to leave by 8 a.m. To get to a local high school where the graduation ceremonies are being held for my grandson....going into HS. So I loaded up the cart, etc. hoping I might get a chance to ask SIL for some help.

And....more stress today. My gynocologist called. Wants me to get into a cancer hospital, City of Hope, to see a urologist there sooner than August. That sent me into a tailspin. I feel like I'm standing on the outside, watching things happen around me and I have no control. Thanks Mikie, for your prayers.
    gb66 and Mikie like this.
  7. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Good evening, friends! I went to bed when Den did, around 11:30, but couldn't get to sleep after over an hour...so decided to get back up. Thought maybe I could catch up a bit on here.

Sun, I am also praying for you. I can somewhat imagine how you are feeling, having just gone through a couple of scares myself. I'm glad your gynocologist is on top of things as far as your appt. with the urologist.

Mikie, I'm glad you are getting a few "to do" things done...but lots of things can wait till tomorrow if we need to crash. I hope you continue to feel better and better each day.

Spring, your son reminds me of my dad, lol! Only Dad will only wear blue tees. I got a couple of different colors and took them to the nursing home, but usually he just has on a blue one.

Rock, the tomatoes look delicious. I bought Amy's girls each a tomato plant...Keira likes Roma and Miley likes the little cherry ones.

Barry, I hope Richard is doing well and getting settled back in. Just going to Tennessee for a few days wears me out.

Granni, hope you are getting along okay with your new tablet. Glad you have a SIL who lives close by and can help with things like that.

Diane, thinking of you and hoping you and Kevin are doing okay.

Linda, getting ready for the wedding? Praying that you can manage the things you need to do and have a great time.

I had to take time off to go to town today...most likely my final appt. with the attorney's office. I signed forms that are needed to close the estate and now we just wait until a hearing so Den and sis can sign off on everything. Wouldn't need a hearing, but the attorney and I believe sis will drag things out until the very last minute...if we request a hearing ourselves, that can prevent her from waiting until the last minute to request a hearing herself, possibly dragging things out another 30 to 60 days. Whatever works, is fine with me.

Den and I continue to get little "pockets" of the new house finished. And I am painting sections of the cement floor every other night or so...then moving things around...will eventually get it all done.

Well, I gave in and took some Tylenol earlier...the joint pain is ridiculous. Maybe my body will calm down when I am able to quit lifting, etc...when we reach a "pause" point on working on the house. Probably Ibuprofen would be better for any inflammation, but I try to switch back and forth.

Den does most of the heavy stuff, but once in awhile I do more than I should. We want to be in the new bedroom by our anniversary next Wednesday...just picked that day because the new foam mattress should be here on Monday, then it has to "inflate" itself for a couple of days. It helps to set little goals and make lists...fun to be able to cross things off, lol!

I'll check back in when I can...take care, everyone.
    Mikie likes this.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Morning, Dear Ones,

Up early; I didn't sleep well. I woke up early during the night and read for a bit. I'm reading a new book. I think it's called, Another Day Gone. It's not a page turner but I'm enjoying it. It centers on a family in Britain and there is a secret which hasn't been revealed yet. There was another master baker episode of The Great British Baking Show last evening. Paul and Mary were baking all kinds of Christmas cakes and breads. OMG, it looks sooooo good and they give tips about baking. They use little food scales and all the ingredients are measured out according to gram weight. This is on at the same time as PBS news and I've found it's better to watch baking than the news. What if we had bake offs instead of war. What a concept! PBS also had a show, Food Delicious Science. They explained how each nutrient in our food helps our bodies and brains. Very interesting!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GORDON!

birthdaycake2.jpg

Gordon, a very happy birthday to you. You deserve the best and I hope your birthday wish brings everything your little heart desires.

Rock, I'm not seeing the pic of the bouncy house but I know what they look like. In recent years, strong winds have picked them up with kids inside. Yikes! I remember those old yellow and black license plates. One of Mom's renters was from CA. She and her DH drove a convertible and we thought they were very cool. I couldn't imagine anyone's leaving sunny CA and the beaches for CO. We have oodles of choices here for special license plates but I just get the state-issued ones with the big orange in the center. When I had a VW Rabbit convertible in CO, I had a personalized license plate which read, WASCAL. WABBIT was already taken. Hope you and Gordon had a nice celebration of his birthday.

Spring, I don't know what is causing my allergies to be so bad. Considering the other symptoms, it may still be part of that virus I had which caused stomach problems. I got so run down this last year that I think I'm a sitting duck now for everything which comes along. My NRG is really low and I'm taking care not to completely bankrupt it. Your food sounds sooooo good. I know I haven't been eating right for quite a while. When I'm tired, I just don't feel up to preparing food. Also, when I'm sick, I don't feel like eating right. This is a vicious cycle. How nice of you to buy new tees for your DS. I get into a rut just wearing black ones but I do that so I can leave my bras at home. You can't see the girls wiggling under a dark tee. Nice to hear it's cool there and you were able to do some errands.

Sun, I've been stepping up the prayers for you. I'm glad you have a proactive doc looking to get specialized help for you. I'll keep praying. Sometimes, the drill bits for wood don't drill through metal very well. If you ask at Lowe's or Home Depot, they can probably help you find a bit which will drill more easily through metal. Or, you can let DS do it. My kids love it when they can do something for me. I have to get busy cleaning out the closet in my guest room because kids will be coming down later this month for a visit. If DSIL can come with DD and DGS, they will get a hotel room. If they do, DGS can stay with me so they can have time together. Take care of yourself, Dear One, and I'll keep storming Heaven with prayers.

Julie, I'm sorry for your aches and pains. It's a mystery to me how they come and go, often for no apparent reason. Sometimes, I get them when I haven't done anything and, other times, I can do all kinds of things without pain. Doh!!! Sounds as though you're getting a lot done. It may be in dribs and drabs but, eventually, it will all come together and, before you know it, it'll be done. Smart of you and Den to ask for that hearing so you can finally come to the end of this estate mess. I know that will help bring some peace to your lives. Are you over whatever crud you had? I hope so. Mine seems to drag on and on. Yes, things can wait when we have to go into survival mode. It's easy to feel upset and depressed when we can't do what we want to do but, sometimes, it's the smart and prudent thing to do. Good luck with everything.

Barry, I thought of you when I was in Publix. They have the honey golden mangoes. Our regular mangoes are so good that I can't say the golden ones taste better but I do like them. They are actually less expensive than the regular ones this week. I hope Richard is home safe and sound and that you are well. Also hope Silvie is behaving herself. SV sends his best to her. Stop in when you can.

Diane, I hope all is well with you. Saw a show on food last night and they mentioned that Omega 3 oil helps with anxiety. I'm going to get some because whatever has been making me sick causes anxiety and I feel jumpy sometimes. SV says hi to Faithy, Beety and Rosie. Hope you and Kevin are well.

Linda, hope all is well with you. When is/was wedding? I can't remember jack these days. Stop in when you can.

Star
    , I hope your absence means you are busy moving. Hope you, DH and Treasures are well.

DOF called to say he still isn't up to going to the pool. I know I need to go but still feel so lousy that I don't know whether I'll go or wait til next week. The good news is that it doesn't take me long to get back in shape when I've been gone.

Hope all y'all have a great day.

Love, Mikie
    bct likes this.
  9. rockgor

Hi Kids

It's 3:20 AM here. Just watched a true crime documentary. Am reading Al Franken's
    latest book. He's very frank for a politician. I was gonna right him a fan e mail on his
    site, but it's designed for his constituents. You have to indicate the issue you're writing
    about (Do you want to buy a flag that flew over the capitol. Get your son recommended
    for admission to West Point. Express you opinion on some legislation. Have breakfast
    with Al, etc.) I assume there are quite a few people at that breakfast. Even now that
    he's old and a politician, he's still pretty funny.

Mikie, I can't understand why you can't see the bounce house. It's one by one and a half
    inches and it's in full color and it's right between the words "Yikes" and "Mikie". Ya ever
    wonder why people say "sitting duck"? Wouldn't "floating duck" be more accurate?

What a lovely blue birthday cake. I will make sure Gordon sees it. As is the established
    custom at this ranch, I wrote him a birthday verse and gave him a card. Other than
    that we didn't do a thing to celebrate his birthday. Tomorrow we're going to visit
    his orchid growing friend who lives in a historic register house and has a green house
    and a new Scotty puppy to go with the two black adults he already has. The puppy is white.

Julie, glad to hear the house is making progress. Or more precisely, you guys are
    making progress. Do the little "pockets" include pocket doors? Quite a few houses had
    them when I was a kid. Haven't seen them now for half a century. It was only when I
    was an adult I discovered the term "pocket door". I read they were great space savers.

Sun, sorry to hear about going to the hospital. I looked up City of Hope. It's in Duarte,
    same place we used to go on our rare trips to Walmart. Maybe 25 miles E of us. I read that
    City of Hope is one of the best hospitals for cancer treatment according to U. S. News.
    Of course the hope of everydobby here is that no such treatment is needed.

I am not doing anything exotic or creative with the cherry tomatoes. I rinse them,
    pull off the stem, add a little salt and eat. I don't cook or can or juice or preserve them.
    I ate 8 yesterday and 4 this morning. Would send you some if it were practical.

Springwater, never had chutney. Sounds too spicy to me. Gordon grows coriander and
    lemon grass, but doesn't cook with them. Just gives them to neighbors and friends.
    When you said you bought your son tees I thought you were talking about Golf Tees.
    Or perhaps you were just teasing me.

What language does you son rap in? Does he try to sound like American rappers?
    Here's a crossword clue I've run into a few times. "Category first eligible for a Grammy in
    1989." The answer is Rap.

Hugs
    Rock
    bct likes this.
  10. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Good morning! Had to stop and think what day it is, lol! Just wanted to get back here a minute and saw that I forgot to say Hi to Star when I posted in the middle of the night...yes, I hope things are going well with the houses and the move.

And a belated Happy Birthday to Gordon! Rock, I'm sure your poems and cards are treasures.

Working on my first cup of coffee while Den works on a tail light on my van...the plastic cover was starting to fall off...not a good thing.

Hope everyone has a good enough day.
    Mikie and rockgor like this.
  11. springwater

springwater Well-Known Member

Happy belated birthday to Gordon.

Sun - sorry to hear you need to check in for tests. Try not to worry. I know easier said than done. Praying here.

Julie - good to hear Den is upto doing things for the house. That was a nice pic of y'all.
    Mikie likes this.
  12. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

DEAR ONES,

Well it is almost time for lunch so no time for a long post. I read some of the newer posts just now and am glad to hear that all or s= most things seems to be going fairly well for everydobby.

MIKIE - Glad you are feeling a little better or so you think , so far. I love my Tablet but still need to find out a few more things about it on things I might want to add as well as delete, if possible.

Was busy this morning with DH doing errands and threw in a wash and put in a couple of flowers that have been sitting there since the last time :)! That's it for now as far as plants go but we may need to get a few more later on to fill in.. This afternoon it will a little break for me and hope to get to ZUMBA GOLD for the first time in a long while. Hope I remember how to do the dances. Most of them I do but she was sneaking in some newere and harder steps last time I went. DD and her DH is also going. They are trying to get some men in there too. No way my DH will go even to the Fit and Fabulous or aerobics classes. I haven't been to the F and F either for some time since DD stopped since she was having some pain and problems with her feet. Guess they are doing somewhat better.

ROCK - HAPPY BIRTHDAY GORDON. SORRY IF THIS IS LATE. HOPE YOU ARE HAVING OR HAD A GREAT DAY BOTH YOU AND ROCK, I know you didn't go out or celebrate much but sometimes just the simple things together are what matters. Gordon make anything special for himself and you to share?????

Gotta run and fix lunch for DH who is starving. Good grief :)!! I guess I need to eat too.

Love to everydobby

Hope to get back later to check on any more drop ins.

Love,
    Granni :)
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

I finally took a soak and got dressed. I ended up going back to sleep because I slept so poorly last night. Just walked down to the mailboxes and took a full paper grocery sack full of newspapers and junk mail to recycle. It feels so good to have my recycle and garbage cans empty in here. Our postal carrier left a note saying she was going to try to track my package with GPS to see where it had gone. I didn't know they could do that. Very techy. She's sooooo sweet. Earlier, I was sweating like the proverbial pig (which doesn't sweat my friends tell me) and the temp in here was 76. I'm not running a temperature so it must just be from feeling lousy. I also had trouble breathing just walking down and back to the mailbox. I'm soooooo sick of feeling like this. There! That's better. Thanks for letting me whine.

I watched the last two episodes of Prison Break. I think this is the end of the series. It was over before but Fox brought it back this season. It's a really good action series but, if anyone went through what those guys did, they would be dead a long time ago. It's very clever in terms of plot twists. I'm not into vampires and zombies so it limits my choices. PBS reran their special on what happens in the womb when babies are formed. It's fascinating. One woman had a genetic disorder which began in the womb. She is very thin and has a deformed face and no hair. She is now an international high fashion model. She has her own kind of beauty.

Rock, I heard Al is very practical and rational. Sounds to me like Frankensense. All I see in your post is a tiny black square with IMG next to it to indicate there is an image there somewhere. How nice that you gave Gordon a card and verse. That's the best gift of all. I just had the 'rap' answer in one of my crosswords. It's not the first time I've encountered it. I often see the same clues/answers in the puzzles. Last Sun., the NYT crossword puzzle had a Sudoku grid in the center and the squares were shaded. There were no clues for those squares other than 'see 49 across.' Then, 49 across would read, 'see 50 down' or something like that. That's it. Fortunately, I got the surrounding answers in which the grid was embedded. I always like puzzles with an extra feature. I can't imagine how difficult it is to create the puzzles let alone add bonuses. My Mom had no education beyond HS but she loved crossword puzzles and she had an amazing vocabulary. Hope you're enjoying those tommy toes. That's what my Mom used to call them. She was also a great wit.

Julie, hope the coffee made you bright eyed and bushy tailed. Glad Den is fixing the tail light cover. Don't want to get stopped by the cops. Hope you can stop back soon.

Spring, hope you can stop by soon too.

Granni, so glad you like the new computer. I hope this old one keeps going but, if I were to get a new one, I'm sure I'd like it too. Sounds as though you are your usual busy self. I'm so impressed that you do Zumba. Good grief! If I tried it I'd probably die. As it is, I was having trouble breathing when I came back from the mailbox. It's either the crud or allergies. Doesn't matter; I just need to get better. Whine, whine, whine. Don't overdo it.

There is nothing on network channels tonight until 10:00. I'll likely be in snooze land by then. Hope PBS has something good on. I could watch House of Cards but I'm afraid I'll fall asleep. I hate doing that when I'm streaming. I'm watching old reruns of Blue Bloods which I've seen before. It's such a good show that I don't mind. Hope everydobby has a good evening.

Love, Mikie
  14. Granniluvsu

MIKIE - I took a picture of a really neat porch on FB. How can I get it onto our porch??? Just got back from ZUMBA GOLD. It was fun even if it hurt. DD went with her DH who was almost the only guys. There was one other ( brave soul). However, the other guy is leaving very soon to go to his other home in NM till NOv. I know my DH would never go there even to the men's fit a fabulous or aerobics or whatever it is called.

Let me know MIKIE if you have words of wisdom about posting pics to CHIT CHAT, our Porch.

It's almost tie for dinner. Gotta run.

Love to awl
    Mikie likes this.
  15. rockgor

thank you all for your birthday wishes. both of us have stopped celebrating
    birthdays years ago. we do however acknowledge the date but don't do
    anything special - not even a cake as we both try to limit our sugar intake.

thanks again.

gordon
  16. rockgor

Hi Kids

This morning we went to visit Jim, President this year of the orchid club. His
    new puppy is just as adorable as puppies usually are. A little white Scotty with no
    name yet. He is thinking a Scottish name would be apropos. I suggested the rather
    obvious Jock. He reports that the two older dogs are pretty much ignoring the youngster.

Jim's house and his attic and his garage and his yard are just crammed full of stuff.
    We looked at some of his unusual orchids and ate apricots from his tree and held the
    puppy. He had the paper on the table. Was doing sudoku and a crossword, but hadn't
    really got very far. The crossword was really difficult (LA Times). The first clue was
    "sharp group" I'm pretty sure the answer was Mensa.

Mikie, I once tried to create a crossword puzzle. Too tricky for me. I bet we could do it
    if a) someone showed us the technique and b) we were in our right mind. "Frankensense"
    is awesome. I wouldn'ta thunk of that in a month of Sundays. "What a Wiz!" my
    Aunt Ferdy used to say. (I think Wiz was short for Wizard. Or it could have been
    "a person who is extremely clever at something.")

Granni, like Mikie I am impressed that you can do Zumba. Do you wear a Zoot suit?
    Wow! Just looked at some Zuma folks on Youtube. Some of those tapes are an hour long.
    Most of the participants are young women. And they're doing intricate dance steps.
    A few groups have a guy leading. I couldn't have done that 50 years ago much less now.

No, Gordon didn't make anything special far as I know. He usually fixes himself an
    Asian supper around 8Pm and eats in front of the tv.

Spring, I read the news from Nepal. I understand all adults will soon be required to climb
    Everest next year. To encourage the climbers a McDonald's and a Starbucks are being
    built at the top. How 'bout a pic of the family?

Julie, what does that mean: the mattress has to inflate itself. As for waking up, I never
    know what day it is. Fortunately the computer usually does. I check it every morning.
    I think somebody like Heloise had an emergency repair for loss of taillight cover. You
    just paint the light bulb with nail polish.

Sun, Gordon saw a really big possum in the backyard one night. He thinks maybe it
    gnawed on some sort of exotic melon he was growing. But the melon was about the size
    of a bowling ball and roughly the same texture. The possum would have needed teeth
    like an agouti to cope with that. (The agouti has teeth like chisels and can open a
    Brazil nut.)

Hugs Barry, Diane, Star, Linda, GB.
    Rock
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Mikie and gb66 like this.
  17. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Hi guys! Worked on the bedroom most of the day...well, Den did the work and I helped a little. I did move some things out of the new part over to the old part (which will once again be part of the shop.) Den is leaving that choreographing up to me and focusing on other important things like wiring, plumbing, etc. I've been telling him it's sort of like a dance...knowing what to move where...

We moved the couch and Den's recliner/rocker over here today...tonight when we watched TV it really started to feel like home.

Rock, we ordered one of those "beds in a box"...a foam mattress that comes all rolled up. You take it out of its bag, unhook straps, then give it 48 hours or more to "come to life". We got one for the guest room (Grandpa's old room) and everybody seems to like it pretty well. Den thinks we disturb each other when we roll over at night, and that this firmer mattress will help with that.

I don't have much news...just wanted to say "Hi"...will check in tomorrow.
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Morning, Dear Porchies,

The eternal optimist, I'm hoping to feel better today. Every time I go to the mailbox, the kids' car downstairs is gone. I'd like to see them while they are here. Their DGD is with them and she is very smart but is a nonstop chatterbox. It isn't easy to be around her. I think this must be what I was like when I was a kid and drove the adults nuts. I think she's about seven but it's hard to tell because she's a big kid. She is Ilona's GGD. No one in the family can keep up with her. The kids have been keeping her busy at the pool, the beach, the zoo, etc.

AACCKK! TV news just showed a faceless fish found off the coast of Australia. Evidently this specie has been known since the 1800's. It's creeping me out. I wonder whether Star has seen one. I guess it's rare to see them. It resembles a slimy blob more than a fish.

Granni, did you save the pic to your phone or your compute?. Use that device and log in here. Before you post your reply, look at the button next to the 'Post Reply' button; it is 'Upload a File'. Click on that and it should bring up your photos. If not, select your photo files from the menu. Click on the photo you want to upload into your post. Then, click on 'Open' at the bottom of the photo file. That should upload it to your response here. It will give you a choice of 'Thumbnail' or 'Full'. Click on Full to post it. Hope this helps. Tell you DSIL that I think he's a brave soul.

Rock, once in one of my classes, we had to try to create crossword puzzles. It was sooooo hard. I can't even fathom the kind of brain it takes to create them. Yes, 'Mensa' was the answer to that clue. Some of the clues play on words or use puns. Sometimes, the clues are tricky like, 'Beginning of a Russian ruler.' The answer could be 'silent t' as in tsar. These are the ones I like because they stretch my gray matter. Lord knows, it can use it. Sounds as though y'all had a good time at Jim's. There is nothing like puppies and kittens to fill our hearts with joy. My neighbor who died and gave me orchids had a little white Scotty named Abby. Her DD lives with her Dad now and walks Abby. Both the DD and the dog are as cute as can be. Is Jim's place one where the American Pickers would love to visit?

I haven't seen a possum here in ages. Of course, I'm not out at night when they like to go about their business. Think I mentioned that one once came up the stairs during the day to stare at me and Barb when we were sitting out there. They don't see well and it looked so funny trying to make out what it was seeing. Think I've also mentioned here that Nancy once saw Tweety curled up with a possum at night when it was cold out. She and Sylvester had critter friends of all kinds when they lived outside. Only thing they don't care for is small humans. I'm drooling just thinking about eating fresh apricots right off the tree. Mmmmm!

Julie, it's so exciting to hear that you're moving into the new area of the house. I hope y'all like that mattress. It is absolutely necessary for us to have comfortable mattresses if we want to get good sleep. I've had good luck with Beautyrest mattresses. I didn't get the pillowtop this time. The one I got can be used with those beds which raise and lower. I doubt I'll ever get the mechanism for that but it's nice to know I can. I plan my life in 10 year increments for planning purposes. I don't want to live to be really old and would be happy with another ten years. If that happens, I'll probably not have to replace this mattress. I hope to drive the Highlander for the duration. Unfortunately, my A/C probably won't last that long and they are much $$$ to replace. SV is the one I disturb when I roll over. He gets excited and thinks it's time to get up.

When my ex and I used to work on things, like the addition to the house, we had our own 'dance' and worked together like a will oiled machine. Glad I was paying attention because that's how I learned to do things which have come in handy for me now. Unfortunately, I'm not up to doing projects anymore but doing things myself has saved me a small fortune over the last 30 years. Good grief! I've been single longer than I was married. Hope you're enjoying yourselves. I can picture your watching TV and enjoying your new home. A home you built yourselves is the best kind of home, especially when filled with love.

Barry, once again I thought of you. I just read that mangoes are wonderful for keeping blood sugar down. It's nice to know we can eat something sweet and not put ourselves in harm's way. Mangoes have a lot of fiber and that's good for another reason. I'm usually as regular as Swiss trains. Oh, sorry--TMI? Hope you have been MIA because you're enjoying time with Richard now that he's back. As always, SV sends his best kitty wishes to Silvie. I wish you the best and hope y'all can avoid covfefe in your lives. ;)

OK, Kids, I'm off to read a PM from a dear friend. I've sent up my prayers and included everydobby here. Hope y'all have a wonderful weekend.

Love, Mikie

Addendum:
    Home again, home again, jiggety jig! I felt well enough to go out and stopped at Lowe's to exchange my fridge filter. I'm still not sure I got the right one. Seems even the guys working there don't know. It's a guessing game unless you bring in the old filter. If this one isn't the right one, I'll do that. There are hints on the boxes but, even then, you can't be sure. The guy said when I get the right one, save the part of the box with the number on it. Again, this frustration is nothing in the grand scheme of things so I'm not upset. I'm just glad I had the NRG to go out. I found some extention brackets for my drapery rod but they are copper color instead of brushed nickel. I picked up a spray can to paint them to match the rod. Who knows when I'll ever find another pair in the right color.

I also stopped at Publix and picked up a few things. I got one little cup of gourmet kitty food for SV to try. It's chicken and pumpkin. Well, he loves strawberries so thought I'd take a chance on pumpkin. As expected, he licked the sauce off and left the little pellets. I'm gonna try mashing it up and pouring some chicken broth over it to see if he'll eat the food. I give him other gourmet food he'll actually eat. He eats any dry food I put in front of him. Went through the line at Publix and had a laugh or two with the two women working there. I also had a laugh with an older man in the parking lot when I asked if I could take his cart. He was so cute and told me I could if I payed the fee. Ordinary life is so much better when people are kind and friendly to one another. I had a couple of laughs with the produce guys. We've gotten to know one another because I'm a regular there.

Finally, I got today's newspaper so I can work all the puzzles and hold a real paper in my hands. I found a book of crossword puzzles which look challenging enough. I've done them sooooo long that most of the ones on the newsstand are not challenging enough. Mama needs to give her brain a workout.

Rock, I keep forgetting to tell you that I have pocket doors in my condo. The middle bedroom is to me more of a bonus room one can use for just about anything. There are double pocket doors. They are solid so it can be used for a bedroom. I have a sofa in there which folds out into a bed and it's a sitting room/guest room. It would also make a nice home office. I love the pocket doors but, because they take up space in the wall, the light switch doesn't sit close to the doorway. Kids and I know we have to reach for it. I think that doorway would be a great place for a barn door on a slide. If it were a home office, I think French doors with little window panes in it would look nice.

OK, I'm really outta here so I can go read the paper.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    rockgor likes this.
  19. Granniluvsu

MIKIE - No time for a big post now, lunch time.

I have the pic on my phone but have never access the PORCH or PH from it other than getting the emails if I am luck when I click to have them posted.

JULIE - So glad your home is coming along great even though slow but STEADY :)!!

Love,
  20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids, just stopping in to PH to check for spammers and saw that there was a new post. Good news--SV came back to his bowl and ate the chicken and pumpkin bits. I'm so proud of him. More good news--ever since I brought my old cable box home and plugged it in, it's been working fine (knocking on wood). Think I mentioned I couldn't find Comcast's new location so I had to come back home without swapping out boxes. If this old one keeps working, I won't need to. This day has gone soooo well. I'm a bit jumpy because I had too much coffee this morning. It's back to decaf for my second cup.

Granni, you can send your pic from your phone to your e-mail on your computer and go through the steps above to post it. Good luck. You should be able to access PH as you would any website from your phone. Do you go to other websites with it?

Rock, I did the word jumble in the paper and the pic was of a Dad talking to kids at graduation. He made up a new word--congraduations. Sometimes, I have trouble with the long answers but this one came to me. Woo Hoo!

Once again, I'm outta here. Let me leave y'all with a lovely scene.

Love, Mikie

garden6.jpg
    springwater likes this.