The Porchlight for volume 224 is now KLOSED !! (-:

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Granniluvsu, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Dear Porchies,

I was there so I just closed it all out for the last volume. So, check out all the last posts on volume 223 first and then comeon back here, K !!

We're ready for you all. The Porch has even been cleaned up and ready !!

[This Message was Edited on 04/20/2008]
  2. Granniluvsu

Elaine - What a story. I can't believe that they didn't send you anything last year after yur biopsy came back abnormal. Are you seeing the same doctor (GYN)? Hope everything comes back OK for you this time. If it comes back abnormal you might want to think of changing doctors. It is a good thing that she decided to do the additional test, which ever way it turns out. Keep us updated please.

Linda - Good luck in your surgery monday. I know it is always a worry till it is over with. Glad that Kylob is having a good trip and that you and Bailey TWD and you have been bonding so well (-: !

Candy - I read your last post and almost caught you in the door besides myself !!

Have a busy day tomorrow and at night as well as thursday. So not sure when I will get back here.

Say some prayers please that my severe osteoporosis has gotten at least somewhat better since my two years on injectable Forteo. Can only be on it for 2 years. I will be having my regular thyroid labs and my bone density test thursday morning.

My love to all my dear Porchies. No time for all the names right now.

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I have been reading, but not posting much. Kinda short on energy. I think I need some of that kickapoo joy juice from Al Capp's Li'l Abner.

But I did get my tax form filled out yesterday. First time I ever sent in a tax form w/ only one number on it: my social security amount.

Actually it's kinda like a paycheck. You earn X but a third of it disappears in various deductions. W/ Soc. Sec. the govt. deducts thousands for Medicare. Then you have to pay more thousands for supplemental coverage.

Busy night a the soup kitchen. We had the usual 7 or 8 cats plus the raccoon and the skunk. Didn't see the possum tho.

I am hoping to get to the library's book sale today. It's only 3 blocks away, but I haven't been there for months.
    Am still waiting for the library to come up w/ Picnic which the book club is reading.

Hs & Ks to all of you. You're the best.

4. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Hi Porchies, wow that was a lot of reading. I read all 4 volumes that I missed. Everyone has been busy, busy, busy.

Hi all, unfortunately I had the same problem as I did last weekend. I was out sick Monday and made it ½ day yesterday. My doc wants me to get a colonoscopy. Yuck. I didn’t have any Chinese this time, so I know it was not that. LOL Anyway, enough about that. I missed you guys and see that a lot has been happening on the porch.

CARLA - I am so sorry about your Mom, I was just heartbroken when I was reading your posts. Please know that you and your Mom and family are in my prayers. Love you and please know we are all here for you Carla.

LINCAMP - I would love to join you at the Blue Martini Bar, that sounds like fun. I haven’t had a martini before either. I am sure they have cosmopolitans (yummy) though. Thanks for the tip on the cake. I was wondering how else I could do it. Your idea is perfect and I am going to use it. Hahahahah, moscochelli is you know, the noodles with spaghetti sauce. I know, I didn’t spell it right, I even did spell check and the correct spelling won’t come up. Oh well, I am too lazy to look it up. So you lost 25 pounds over the last year, that is wonderful. I need to lose about 10. I am surprised I haven’t lost it these past couple of weeks with having this stomach problem. You are still in my prayers for you Monday surgery. Everything will be fine. Just know that we are all thinking of you on Monday and hopefully that will make you feel better.

GRANNI - I am so sorry I haven’t been able to help you paint. I have been so sick. I am feeling much better at the moment and could come over tomorrow and help but you will probably be done by then. Regarding the parties, yes, if I didn’t have all the parties I would never be able to see my family. They all look for me to have them especially in the summer since we have the pool. My brother and sister have pretty small houses and my Mom is just not the party giving kind of person, oh well. However, that is okay, I do love doing it. It is just getting harder and harder to do. Thank goodness they all bring something to help out.

You and Linda were talking about homemade tomato sauce, my Grandma used to make that and it was the best. I miss her so so much. When she knew I was coming over she would make her famous spaghetti. She passed away a few years ago at the ripe age of 91. She was one of those wonderful Grandma’s that did everything, canned everything, sewed everything (even made wedding dress for a living when she was younger). We never went out to dinner, she made everything from scratch. I so wish my girls could have known her longer.

How many kids did you have Granni, I see you had at least 4. I have always wished I would have more kids ( I have 2), but I guess God had other plans. Also, please know that you are in my prayers as well that your osteoporosis has gotten better. I think I am going to ask my doctor to test my thyroid too, my mother in law thinks that is my problem. Who knows, I sure don’t.

ELAINE - So, I am curious, what did the sweatpants say in the “butt” area???? My girls wear those a lot. My husband and I watched the American Gangster too this past weekend. It was really good, didn’t take my eyes off it for a minute. I don’t think I have ever seen Denzel Washington play a bad guy before. He is a really good actor and I love all his movies. The passage that you posted was beautiful as well and did bring tears to my eyes too. I am going to keep that.

GEORGIA - We finally have the warm weather. Can you believe it, it is going to be middle 70’s today and sunny, Yippee, I am so excited and this is after we had a little bit of snow on Sunday, LOL.

ANNIE - I see that you are feeling better, allergies are no fun (if that is what you had). My girls, me and DH all get them in the Spring and Fall. Your fave hymn is beautiful that you left for Carla. I would love to come sit on your new and improved porch, except can I have lemonade instead of coffee. I am not a coffee drinker, yuck. I wish I was sometimes as it would probably wake me up in the mornings.

LACEY - Here is a big hug back at you. Thanks for the big hug. That is horrible about your cousin, 52 is way too young to lose your life. I am so sorry and will keep you and your family in my prayers.

ROCK - Hopefully you made it to the library and got some good books and that your energy level is getting better.

Hugs and kisses to you all the wonderful porchies I didn’t mention. It is finally a beautiful day here is St. Louis. Spring has arrived. It is 75 and sunny. Wish I would have called in sick today.

[This Message was Edited on 04/16/2008]
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Well the roofers are hammering away, so it is sunny out-right Lin? (Lin and I live in the same neck of the woods)

By the way Rock, What is the neck of the woods????

Not sure why I was so breathy this week-think we all may have had a really low impact version of the horrid chesty bug, that has just made us a little coughy, not much, and breathy. Doing better now thanks.

Wow, Elaine, that is some story about your gyne, but one that happens all too often.

I did post re the PBS special on other country's heath care and foiund is so interesting, how the standard of care and health actually goes UP with an "all in system" where the insurance companies all have to be not for profit ditto drug companies. I think too, that the way they were doing it in Taiwan was brilliant. Everyone has a smart card, this is plugged right into docs puter and immedaitely all your records come up, then the same card takes the insurance payment that is immediately transferred to doctor, so they save biullions on admin costs PLUS there is far better tracking of your tests etc.

Hey I am STILL waiting for my dumbo doc to actually understand the sizings of aortas and send my tests from November to a cardio!!! I think maybe he yet again ordered the WRONG test, so I sympathize.

Re tomatoes and recipes. I live surrounded my elderly (79 to almost 90) year old Italian ladies, and they ALL make their own sauces for everything, can their own sauce, and make their own biscotti etc. They are always bringing us the treats.

They are all so content and happy, despite ailments, but as they do not follow any special diets except LOVING what they eat, I think that contentment is the key to long life for sure. They are all very religious too. I just love them all to pieces. We fixed one of the ladies' plumbing yesterday and you would have thought we gave her the crown jewels, they are always so gracious.

I would nake them something, but I would think they may be disappointed. May make them a trifle sometime Rosie!

Granni, we have so much painting to do here I don't know where to start. This family room used to be the garage and is dark brown 3o year old (not nice) panelling.. As soon as they finish the roof all my kitchen cabinet doors have to go out and be stripped, so I can paint them, the bedrooms need painting and I hate the stark ceiling white walls in the living room, so this will be "the year of the paint roller/pad" for sure.

Hi to everyone else and special prayers to dear Carla.

Love Annie

6. Granniluvsu

Just wanted to let you know I am alive. Been busy all day or almost and now have to go eat dinner and go to choir pracatice. So only have a minute.

Mickey - That is OK you did help me paint yesterday. Hope you are feeling OK hon and that you don't have a chronic stomach or digestive problem. Ihave been there and did that already - the tests which showed nothing probably IBSor whtever comes with this crap !

Candy - I think I know what you were talking about the knots in your neck, is tht what you are talking about or should I say back othe head on each side. I'm doing OK I gues, same o same 0 if you know what I mean. Hope all is OK with you. Will be gone tonight and tomorrow morning at least. May have to do some painting tomorrow afternoon if the weather is good )-: (goody goddy)!

A big hi to Rock, Linda, Jodie, Annie, Elaine and whoever else posted or is peakin in again. Can't remember who all did .

Also having some computer problems - ugh !!

Special big hugs to dear CARLA who is with her dear mom !!!!

Love to all,

7. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

The porch is so nice this morning. I am just sitting here on the rocking chair sipping my lemonade and reading my book (oh how I wish I really was).

No really, I am at work finally, after being in 45 minutes of traffic. However, it is so beautiful outside today, will be 75 and sunny (perfect weather). I think I will go to the park at lunch time and walk.

Elaine - you should definetly treat yourself to more pants. Us woman deserve to get all the clothes we want, LOL. I went to the Limited (my favorite store) and purchased lots of summer clothes. They also have the best clearance racks. Today I am wearing one of the shirts, I paid 11.00 for it and it was normally 40. I love deals like that.

Granni, I must have forgotten I helped you paint, fibro fog i guess. Well I have to say we did a good job, because it is really looking good. Your right, the tests probably wont show anything. But I don't think I can handle getting this stomach thing all the time.

Candy - a big HELLO to you too. I think I finally have everyone memorized now. It took a while though.

Annie - I dated a 100% Italian guy for 6 years before my husband and his mother made the best (from scratch) italian food. That is about the only thing I miss about him. LOL

Julie - Good luck on the weather cooperating, you deserve it. I hope everything is going well for you and especially for your trip. You and DH are in my thoughts and prayers daily too.

To everyone else, good morning and come on the porch it is very nice today and I have homemade lemonade for everyone.

8. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I hope that I was missed!!!!!!!Things in our household have been hectic!

Elaine: I am so, so, sorry8 of the results of your tests!

My back and all of it has been awful!I am in so much pain. Dr. put me on
    Fentalyn withut
    Tramadol. My grandson said that Tramadol or somedthing else was necessdary with it. Excuse me--------i* A IN A FOG
    ~~~~~~~~~~`I can not sdee straight (or type straight!!)

Night before last I fell out of bed
    !!!!!!!!!!1UI think!!!!!!!I could bvaarely move yesterday!!!
    I qwill be back with you dear people. Please bare with me and still care for me notr forget me!

Love to all of you.

Take care.

9. Granniluvsu

So sorry to hear some of the bad porch news today..

Joan - OUCH !!! I am so sorry to hear that you fell out of bed. I hope you didn't hurt yourself tooo badly or broke anything. I am sure you must be very sore. Glad you went to the doctor and he gave you something,. However, if it does not help maybe you will need more, let him know if isn't helping !! Did they take any xrays? If not maybe they should if it gets worse.

Of course we did NOT forget about you but we were worried. How is your DH doing also? Hope he is bahaving himself so as not to make it worse on you especially after your fall.

I went today for my thyroid blood work and have an appt to see my endo next thursday. I was all set today to have my bone density done to see if the injectabale Forteo I took daily for 2 years has helped at all. Wll, after I had my bloodwork done I filled out the info for the bone density. I got in and the gal was telling me to removing my jeans, etc, and then finishes looking ata the chart and say - YOUR LAST BONE DENSITY WAS THE END OF THIS MONTH SO
    you will have to come back in May to have it done OR the insurance company will not pay for it. These ins companies sometimes drive me crazy and I have fairly good insurance. The tech. was telling me that another gal had her bonedensity 1 day before it would have been a year and THEY WOULD NOT PAY FOR IT - AAACK !!!

Hopefully when I do have it done in a couple of weks or so from now that the doc will call me with the results instead of having to go there again. It is about 37 or so miles away. As it is I will go there next thursday for her to review my thyroid labs.

Elaine - Well, you have been through this all before so you know what to expect and the treatment and how it will make you feel, etc. None the less I am so sorry to hear it and I know you didnt want to have to go through it all again.

Well hon, you know we are here for you to vent at any time. After you have gone through everything in your life you have come a long way. You are very strong gal and I know you will get through it all - AGAIN fine!! Glad that you are starting your laser treatments next week Best to get on that stuff (radiation) right away as you know. I am glad you will have someone there to talk to about it.

Carla - I just got back from my appts and so didn't check ALL the porch or board posts just now. I guess things are status quo or the same with your mom. Hope you find the right thing for your mom to wear. You know what she would like. That is hard when you cannot find it in the stores nearby. Keep us updated when you can.

Mickey - That is OK about you not helping to paint. I am not today either, or did do so yesterday. Somehow I think I will be doing so tomorrow sometimes.

Candy - hope all is well with you deary and that you are feeling OK or should I say better than "norma". Does that make any sense?

Well, since I have no place to go tonight and dh will be gone I hope to check on you all again later on.

Again, my love to all my dear Porchies and special hugs to you know who !!

(((((Elaine, Carla, Joan)))))))

More later to everyone else too.

[This Message was Edited on 04/17/2008]
  10. Granniluvsu

Somehow most of us already figured out how you would respond after hearing that, it's back again. I am sure that those who know you, figured that would be the way you were going to handle the situation- just live with it, don't let it get you down, and get on with life.. Yep - that's our Elaine !!

We know what you have gone through with all your other problems and see how strong and great you have become !!

Good for you kiddo !! Just wanted to tell you again, like you already didn't know that we are here for you, if you ever need us to chat about anything. Maybe then again you want to forget about it (-: !!

Lotsa hugs and continued blessings to you,

11. Granniluvsu

Linda - No, unfortunatly the porch (deck)is NOT almost done, unfortunatly. So anyone who would like to help let me know (-: !! Still have alot to do. I have plenty of the white still to do (railings, etc.) DH is doing some of the brown edging and steps up to the porch. When he finishes that he will roll the paint on the floor. I have been doing mine with the paint brushes. The problem is to get at it I have to get in some weird positions and that is not fun, as you can imagine. The worst part will be on the other side next to all the shrubbery. Right now I am sitting, on my knees trying to get in a good position, not to easy !!

I am so glad that it was in the 70's for you today. What a shocker, us too but that is not unusual.
    Yes, you just abaout mentioned everyone that I was going to mention of all our dear Porchies far and near , some that we have not heard from in a bit. Hope everyone is OK.

Julie - Yes, I am sure once you get there and get busy you will be loving it. Of course I know you will miss the family left behind esp tht little Kiera and your girls. There will be alot of satisfaction for you and you are an amazing person. I couldn't do it but then again I am older than you hon - ugh !! To much pain also to concentrate on a whole lot or have alot of people counting on me now.

I am sure I will be doing some painting tomorrrow sometime. We have a dinner group on sunday and I have to make a cake, an Italian Creme cake . Finally found an easy recipe with one layer (9x13 cake pan) but it has lots of stuff in it - very rich for sure and not cheap. I will be out at night so probably will have to make the cake part saturday morning and the icing the next day, sunday after church.

It apparently is an older recipe because it calls for a box of confectioner sugar and they only have plastic bags now.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MUCH IS IN THE BOX OF CONFECTIONERS SUGAR THAT THEY USED TO HAVE??? Georgia whre are you or do you just make Banana Bread and strawberry (-: That is for the icing with cream cheese I believe, not sure but guessing.

Well, goodnight all. Hope to hear from you all tomorrow those MIA or just plain busy or feeling punk !!!

Love and hugs to all,

12. ckball

ckball New Member

as it is late. My mom needed a haircut and the funeral home only styles, I asked her nurse tonight if she knew someone and they were here in 30 minutes.

She refused to take anything as her grandmother was here 2 weeks ago. This is truly a amazing place.

Elaine you are in my prayers and I KNOW you will be fine. I am questioning why just the laser treatment. I had high stage pre-cancerous cells and they removed my entire cervix.

Julie, yes I do believe god prepares us and shows us we are more capable than we think we are so we can get threw those tough times ahead. He will be with your threw your journey.

Hello to everyone else, I have missed not being able to visit more, but time has flown by this week, but I got what I needed, her gown and a hair cut. She may make it threw the night and maybe tomorrow, we just don't know.

Thank you all for your prayers and support, it does my soul good to know you are all pulling for me. I will be back when I can- hugs and prayers to you all. Carla
  13. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I know! I've been an AWOL! Lots of stuff goin' on here
    and been busy. Trying to watch the coverage of the Papal
    Visit as well. I think I can speak for all when I mention
    the pride engendered watching Guido drive that "Pope Mobil"!
    That's our Boy!! (Ya notice how he sped up when seeing those
    guys in the Black Suits from Hoboken)!!

On the serious side, Elaine, I'm glad that you are staying
    on top of your medical concerns. It's so important to catch
    these things early! I know all will be well.

Georgia: I think we are due for a "cool down"? Should warmup
    again early next week. I may have to be in the North Valley
    then. Clear warm weather would be nice. I have to do laundry
    today also. Don't know how I go thru the clothes so quickly?

Carla: I just sent you an email. You are in all our thoughts
    and prayers! You've been a wonderful Daughter to your Mom!

Bailey: You've been great fun for Linda Girl! She's not
    gonna wanta give you back! But your own Mama will be home
    very soon!

Granni: A thought close to home! At least they
    could trace all the "Gabbage Patch Kids" back to the same Father!

Hey Julie, time is running short b-4 you head for Belize!
    I'm sure you are both excited and busy.

Joan: Do hope you a feeling and doing much better today!

Hello to Candy, 1Sweetie, Rocky&Gordon, Marta, Honey&Sophie,
    Jodie,Annie(keep painting), Ben, John Boy, Elizabeth, and
    all I missed thru a "sin" of omission rather than Commission

Now, as I look down on that med bottle, "did I take that
    anti-biotic already this morning, or NOT!! Oh boy!

[This Message was Edited on 04/18/2008]
  14. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i just lurked and it sounds like a whole lot of my porchie friends need a hug and some prayers and blessings smg...

quickly, school is going ok....stress from the past year is difficult still to this day.

met w/math teacher yesterday and he helped me try to uunderstand the slope intercept and plotting graphs w/equations to figure out...

the next chapters should be easy for me...he said get all the help i can from everyone i know.

well that is about it...and no cody still does not know which college he wants to go to yet..

he may have a job a starbuck's soon...

well need to go to the gym....take my anti smoking chantix pill...i just ate most of my protein bar w/vitamins...

hugs to everyone

15. Granniluvsu

Hi All,

Now that it is almost time for beddy bye I will post. I did have time for a quick checkin during the day for a bit but was busy, even did some painting of the porch railing again for a short while. I did wome washihg and some prep work for a cake I am making for a dinner group on sunday. I will so busy tomorrow and gone for the afternoon and evening so I had to get it done today... I may bake the cake tomorrow and then make the icing on sunday after church. Why does everything happen at once ???

Glad to see lots of people popping in today even if it was for just a short while.

Hey Rock - Where are you hiding ? Hope all is OK .

Jodie - Keep up the good work. I know it is hard but you can do it, I know. Forget about the guys and just work on your studies and it will pay off in the end. Good luck with the Math. I know how that can be (-: Special hugs

Candy - Hope youa are feeling OK and all is well. Thinking of you Sweetie !! TTYL but maybe not tomorrow, very busy day !!

Mrdad - Even glad you got to stop by for awhile during your busy schedule. So glad you were watchi to make sure Guido was there to do his chauffering thing for the Pope in his Popemobile (-: !! Gee, you are so busy making sure everyone is doing what thehey should be (-: !!

Linda - I am sure you are going to miss Bailey the wonder dog. What a good friend to Kylob and Bailey you are !!! I am sure you and Bailey will miss each other but she will love her mommy too when they get back !! Hope you are feeling better and glad you had a sort of mini date with DH with your beautiful weather.

Georgiac - Well it is back to baking BB again I see. I always think of you when I have over ripe bananas I don't want to eat cause they are to soft. Where is your number that I can fly them too (-:! That ministry you were talking abaout with the making of shawls sounds wonderful. Somehow I think that you and Julie need to get together !! Always doing for others. That is great !!

Well I have forgotten everyone else that has posted. I hope everyone else is doing well. I will have a busy day tomorrow and I may not get on, not sure. Oh, BTW this dumb computer was off line for hours this afternoon and evening and DH and Ihad ato call the help desk of our server, Doesn't that sound like fun? Then I couldn;t even here the people talking on the phonr. That didnt help either. Finally gave the phone to dh and let him deal with it. Thanks God it is working now.

Elaine - glad you are having your first treatment this coming week. The sooner the betterr as you know !!

Carla - you are going through so much and we are so proud of you for what you are doing. Yes, Hospice to is a wonderful place. You are so lucky to be able to be there and have the girls there too. Take care of yourself too my dear !!