The Porchlight for Volume 699 IS CLOSED !

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Granniluvsu, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Thanks Julie wil try and check it out. It depends on how many ingredients are in it:)!! I know who you mean on TV about the "Pioneer Woman". I need to go now and make some lunch. DH is gone and eating better than I today. All he food she makes look awesome. Would need all my kids back home again or just fix par of her recipes. She has a good sized hungry family and husband.

BTW, if I haven't already mentioned it, I am a pasta lover even if we do not eat I as much as I would love to. Than for the tip.

Love,
    Granni
  2. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

Thank you, Mikie. Or as the Norskies say, "Tusan Takk"! (Thousand thanks.) With my
    mind evaporating like spit in the Mojave desert, I don't need more confusiation. Yesterday
    I paid for renewing my registration. Could not remember my license number or our address.
    Have been using both since 1988. A few years ago lived next to a gal who had an even older car. It was an original Ford Mustang (1964). Her car was old. She tended to be
    old and cranky.

I took quite a fancy to your Abun dance prance. Perhaps it will replace the Maypole dance.
    And speaking of "Seven Days in May", Dar, do you remember that book? Came out when
    I was in college. Made into a movie with Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas. I always had
    trouble telling them apart. In that movie one didn't need to.

Glad to hear you got some of your pills. Now if the government would just send you your
    refund. I have some ideas about that, but perhaps they should be posted on some other
    board. Hope you can get some rest.

Julie, I loved your observation that a cleaning lady is akin to getting your hair done. I am
    always impressed by people who can look at things in a new light. Probably the greatest
    example (to me) being James Burke who is an author and TV producer. He changed the
    way history is studied and presented.

Your Easter dinner menu sounds great, Granni. BTW, what is a portal conversation with
    your doc. Is that nurse lingo? A typo? Can't figure it out.

SG, good luck with the cleaning lady. Watch out for those clean windows. You don't want to
    stick something through one; like your head. All on account you didn't realize it was there.
    The window, I mean. Of course you knew your head was there. Is the sneezing due to hay
    fever or something else?

Hugs
    Rock
  3. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Granni, here's the recipe from the Pioneer Woman website...I had never heard of her before, but the kids are trying to do a lot of Paleo recipes, so must have found her sometime. It is not something I would eat every day (even though it WAS delicious), but I'm anxious to try it myself.

Fettuccine Alfredo

Prep Time:
    10 Minutes

Cook Time:
    20 Minutes

Difficulty:
    Easy

Servings:
    [​IMG]Print Recipe
    Ingredients
    • 1 pound Fettuccine Noodles
    • 1 stick Butter
    • 1 cup Heavy Cream
    • Salt and Pepper, to taste
    • 2 cups Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
    Preparation Instructions
    Cook pasta according to package directions.

In a saucepan or skillet, warm butter and cream. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Grate Parmesan cheese and place half of it into a large serving bowl. Pour warm butter/cream mixture over the top.

Drain pasta and immediately pour it into the bowl.
    Toss a couple of times, then sprinkle in the other half of the Parmesan.

Toss to combine, thinning with pasta water if necessary.
    Serve immediately as a main course or accompaniment to meat or salad.

Delicious!
  4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Julie - Thanks for the recipe. It is surely not low fat but once I awhile I guess it is OK. Did you say originally you or Lindsay put chicken in it or was I just to the side? Just wonder how it would work out with 1/2 and 1/2. Certainly with ingredients that wonderful it would have to taste GREAT :)!!!! I see you are a busy gal and hope that those young ladies are just keeping each other busy and happy. Nice the cousins could se each other occasionally. Our grandkids are so scattered and busy that we hardly get to see them anymore, not that we saw them a whole lot when they were little. We did see some of the in the summer when they were younger .

Do you use the parmesan from the green can or the more expensive good stuff? I doubt I the Pioneer Women would use the shaker can :)! However, we do but for this dish I might have to get the good stuff:D.

I took the first pill from the doc that the had given to me in case I got worse when we went New Orleans. I didn't use it then but did today, he said it was OK. The first pill and the fever is gone. I have two more to take.

I forget what the Paleo diet is?

Rock - The Portal is when the doctor does almost everything by computer and you can ask for help and talk to them about a situation instead of calling or trying to get an answer from them, change of meds, refills, lab work results are on there. It has been helpful to me as the trying to get to talk to the dr. or nurse at the office is not always an easy task. They have to let go some people which doesn't help either,.. You have to have a password and UN to get in and get the info. Sometimes the nurse or whoever relays the information to you from the doc.

Love to you and everydobby,
    Granni :)
  5. Darrae

Darrae Member

Hi all, Just a quick update:

Unfortunately, with the identity theft issue, my refund had to be re-submitted by mail. So it won't be electronically deposited into my account. I'm just hoping it shows up in the mail sooner than later. They said it could be up to 180 days. That would make it September. Uggghhh.

I'm feeling much like I did when first diagnosed 18 years ago. This is horrific trying to work like this. Back then, I was totally disabled and down for the count. I feel the same tiredness and flu-like symptoms I felt back then. I feel like just going to bed and staying there, but I can't. Each day is getting more and more difficult. The gabapentin really isn't doing anything much for the pain or sleep issues.

I've not got enough synthroid in my system yet to make much of an appreciable change yet in my energy level. I still don't have half my supps.. I'm literally dragging myself through my days. Gads this hurts!!! I look like crap warmed over and feel the same. So sorry to be such a "downer". But I haven't felt this bad since the accident that precipitated onset. My legs feel like lead, and the only thing that isn't screaming in pain is my hair. The vertigo is highly problematic and I'm finding it difficult just to get my neck to hold my head up at night to watch a little t.v..

I'm trying so hard not to let this "show" at work, but my residents are noting the tiredness in my face and my walk. I find myself trying to nod off during activities and when I'm outside taking my breaks. I'm so infernally tired that driving to work in the morning and home at night is "iffy" and sort of scarey.

Thanks for the support folks. I appreciate your concern and warm thoughts. Here's hoping Uncle Sam breaks loose with my return soon so I can get back on the combination that was working so well there for a while.

Love to all,
    Dar
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Porches,

I'm actually typing this on my tablet touchscreen (the Surface2 with the keyboard removed). It is magnetic and snaps off and on. I'm still not up to speed on Windows 8. When I turned it on, the background had mysteriously changed from a lovely purple to black. After many tries and wandering through the Windows maze, I managed to fix it but don't know how I did it.

Rock, I don't know my license number at all. Seems like a waste of precious, and shrinking, brain storage to me when all I have to do is look at my registration. Our governor is running for reelection so is asking the legislature to lower registration costs for cars. I won't vote for him but I'll take the bribe.

Dar, I'll ask Mom to pray for you. Get your rest and I hope your refund arrives soon.

Yesterday, I got up feeling great. I did three loads of laundry and, suddenly, had to lie down. I woke with a splitting headache and horrid pain all over. Am better but definitely have a bug. AACK!

Love to everyone.

Mikie
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm sure it's still the HFV which decided I hadn't taken my AVs long enough and is trying to weasel its way back into my system. So, I slammed it with some Acyclovir this morning and I'm doing a bit better. Barb tapped on my window so I could see her DGGD. Oh, she's sooooo cute. Very petite and very smart. She loved the little book I got her which has buttons to push which mimics noises the monkey characters in the book make: laughing, gargling, etc. I think the adults have had more fun with it than DGGD. She had on tiny white sandals which were too cute for words. What is it about little shoes which make us go, "Ohhhhhh" :)

I put two of Andy's little people vehicles, a firetruck and a dumpster on the Balcony for her to play with. The little people ride in them. I used a Lysol wipe on my hands before I touched anything. Kids that age are exposed to everything and, as I mentioned, if this is the HFV, I can't give it to her. If I'm up to it, I think I'll change the bed and finish the closet. If not, I'll just veg. Still too early to know just what I have.

I mentioned that I had planted some seeds from a pepper plant which produces little peppers which look like tiny UFOs. Well, the plant, which is beautiful in itself, is up to my waist and I think it is blossoming. If so, it ought to produce some peppers. Woohoo! :D They are too little to amount to much but they are just sooooo adorable and unusual. When I'm up to it, I need to go shopping for a pot to repot it as it's growing faster than I had expected. All the potted plants on my lanai are thriving. They are so beautiful that I don't want them to get bigger, just more beautiful, if possible. When they get too big, I have to take them downstairs and buy new ones for the lanai. My little pink flamingo plant is producing tons of new dark pink spaths. Our white spath plant, in honor of Barb's husband, is putting out two beautiful spaths. It sits in a pot in the outside stairwell atrium. Everything in that little garden is thriving as well. My Christmas cactus is resting in the shade down there in the corner. I'll bring it out in Nov. so it will bloom for Christmas.

Maybe I'm finally inheriting my Mom's green thumb. Barb's purple orchid is about to bloom. It is absolutely beautiful. The Desert Rose which honors my Mom is about to bloom at the end of each little brance. It has bright red blooms. When someone dies, we usually try to dedicate a plant to that person.

Well, gang, gotta go. Hope y'all have a wonderful day.

Love, Mikie
  8. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Active Member

Hi, all!

Been thinking about everyone.

Oh Julie, that recipe looks soooooo good!

I'm making some crab today. I don't remember what it's called, with the olive oil, tad of butter, lots of garlic, and some pasta. But that's what I'm having for supper tonight. (I have some gluten-free white rice fettuccine.) So it's without the cream sauce. But still good!

Granni, hope you feel better SOON! And I hope that you get to have Easter dinner at your house!

Dar, my heart breaks for what you are going through. Darn identity theft!!!!! Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers, for a quick resolution for everything, and to be back on all your meds and supps.

Mikie, I hope your virus clears quickly. I'm glad you get to see Tweety and Sylvester, and that Simon shows up for breakfast!!

Sun, you and DH are in my thoughts and prayers too.

I know that I've missed naming some names here....... Spring, it's always good to see you post. I can't believe that your temperatures are sooooo high, in the 90's. Rock, always good to read your posts. I went back and read about the books you posted. Barry, I enjoy reading your posts!

For those who are concerned about me, I don't feel comfortable posting any detailed personal information here. I had an "incident" here a while back. I asked for all my older posts to be deleted. I will post, on occasion, to offer support and encouragement to my friends here. But "once burned", now I'm shy. I probably won't say more on a public board than "I'm doing ok", or "I've hit a bump in the road," or stuff like that.

Just wanted to wish all my friends a happy Easter and Passover season!!!

Take care, and love and hugs and prayers,

Diane

9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Oh, Diane, sooooo good to hear from you. I wish you felt safe enough to share with us but it's not necessary. We love you and are glad just to see you post. I thought of you cause Adrienne has been on HSN. I need some of her vitamin C product but will wait until May for her anniversary show. Best prices then.

I napped and watched movies all afternoon. I just watched "Peggy Sue Got Married." I looooove that movie. It's so much like my own life with my ex except I got out before he gave me a heart attack. To be able to travel back in time, even if it's from a near-death experience, would be so great, just to see my Mom and hold her again. That movie was a strange combination of mystical and drama. "Heaven Is For Real" is out. I read the book and was very touched by it.

Since I was so lazy today, I don't have much to post but that usually doesn't stop me. I hope everyone has a great Easter and Passover season. Sunday is also the day to celebrate Marijuana. Whoopie Goldberg has come out for its use in her glaucoma, one of the areas in which MJ is most helpful--the other being in helping those on chemo. I just hope people don't go nuts in CO and ruin it so that the law is repealed. CO is bringing in millions in tax revenue to balance their state budget. I'd think all those Californians would jump on this. People in CA and CO are very similar in lifestyles and politics. A lot of the people in CO came there from CA. Rock, maybe they could fix your streets :D

OK, gotta shut down my laptop as it's getting a tad warm. Love, hugs and prayers to everyone.

Love, Mikie
  10. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Doing Ok I guess ! Temp is almost normal. Have done little bit of shopping this morning. Knock on wood I guess we will be having some Easter dinner here.

So sorry to hear about so o our friends having difficulties, dear Dar and Diane. Hope Dar get her refund check pronto so she can get her meds and supps she needs. That must be just awful.

Diane - I also feel sorry that you have to feel like you can't share some things with us but we don't want to get you more upset , so just do what you think you have to do. Feel free to start a conversation at any time with me or any of us. Wish some people would be more careful in what they say and how they say it on these boards. Just remember that we love and care about your very much.

Hi also Mikie, Rock, Sun, Julie and ALL I cannot take the time to name right now. Need to get off and start getting ready for nighty night.

Special prayers and thoughts going to Sun ( and her DH), Dar, Diane and anyone else needing them.

Happy Easter Blessings to you ALL,

Love,
    Granni:)
  11. springwater

springwater Member

hello porchies all

diane - nice to see you, pls do drop in sometimes...share whats going on..nothing
    you dont feel safe putting in a public forum tho..i deleted a vent i wrote out on
    my post..just in case..feel all the better for having vented, however.
    my pals here always put things in perspective..and i felt immediately better.
    Thank you, you all.

mikie - funny, i felt this bindle of ache and angst for so long and yet there was a
    time i (bundle, not bindle, cant get my ipad cursor to move back) felt okay even
    when thinking of the episode (i had done twin hearts meditation just before)
    in fact felt sanguine enough to text friend msg thanking her for returning the
    dish, and the asparagus and juice she sent with it, and she texted back saying
    what i cooked was delish and gave me tips on how to make the asparagus...
    just as if a fight never occured. however, the next day (yesterday) i thoguht
    about it and the old feelings of anger and bitterness welled up and i mentally
    promised not to connect again on a level where she can scream at me.

she prolly dont want to lose me as a friend otherwise who will she have to scream at?
    lol!!! how uncharitable of me.

(the screaming i could prolly take, given she is going thru her own thing, but its
    the hurtful things she says and not wanting to even LISTEN to what i have to say
    and her unreasonable way of thinking and wanting to steam roller over me. This
    baby aint takin'no mo crap, no siree...this baybeh got eno' crap on her own, to
    act as a dumpin bin fo' some disgruntled mean ego maniac on a ego trip.'

Did I sound mean and no nonsense? :D

better work on my forgiveness skills, i HONESTLY dont want to have to come back
    and interact with some people who are present in my this lifetime, to work out karma
    , issues. i want to let it all GO and start afresh with some new people. Hopefully
    not so taxing relationships.

love visualising all your plants in bloom, im sure they gisve you great joy, one
    can 'hear' it in your posts. :)

sun - tks for the perspective on my episode...i ve been finding we are not connecting on
    same levels these days, my friend n i. im going thu crisis after crises having to dig deep
    survive, and find peace in spirituality..she is still out there, competing, trying to be one
    up on others, keep up with the joneses etc. and unable to accept that others go through
    different things, have different priorities,

i also uploaded a nick ortner EFT video he did with louise Hay what a wonderful
    wonderful strong tender reassuring voice he has! just listening to someone with that
    much compassion and strength of conviction is uplifting and that too with Louise
    who does a WONDERFUL affirmation at the end assuring us we each have an
    angel with us who will get us through any situation.

Louise actually had a step dad who held her head under water when she was
    five years old to punish her and she did some tapping to get rid of the fear of that
    in the video. !!!

Rock - youre not alone - i cant remember my husbands cars license plate nummbers
    neither sons nor his bikes. i cant remember sons new phone numbers, for that matter
    have to get out diary to check...such is my brains memory retention status.

HOW much stuff has Gordons dear mum collected and stored? you seem to hv been
    de cluttering a long time now, has Gordon and you. Glad he has his brothers and nephews
    to take some of the stuff offa your hands.

Julie - that recipe sounds just right for me to whip up a meal for my son and husband
    when we make too much rice n curry and tortillas. i like that it doesnt hv meat in it,
    im always trying to get them to eat more non meat but looks like i could stick slivers
    of chicken in there too to add some variety sometimes. tks for posting.

i hope you and the wee ones are a little better from the crud.

Granni - You too. Are you going to new orleans anytime soon or did you go.
    Didnt quite get that. What is UN? I got it about the portal. how many new
    things are cming up nowadays with the advent of the internet.!! Hope your
    DH enjoys his meal out. what was the event he was attending?

Dar - sorry to hear of your continued struggle with the flare. This latest
    big flare up. No doubt some of it caused by the hacking into of your
    accounts..praying you come out of it soon and can go on with your
    good work in a healthy frame of body mind and spirit. For me, some
    emotional crisis often precipitates a breakdown in my day to day health.
    Not that i remember a really 'normal' pattern of health except when i
    was really young.

well, yesterday was a stay home day...rested...day before went to
    this restaurant which healer friend is doing consulting for, we decided
    to do our meditation there instead of going to a monastery coz i ws
    feeling wiped out. The owner of the restaurant is into social work and
    organises a Farmers market on saturdays where groups bring organic
    veggies, baked goods, meat goods, handicrafts and the proceeds go
    half to a charity for kids. i saw exquisite little paper handicraft mud houses
    set in a fence with creepers wounding up n down. villge houses suppose
    to be. all made of paper and so lifelike down to the thatched roofs.
    also some lovely hold all boxes...i wouldve liked to buy one or two but
    am very short on money just nowfor extras...owing to all the relatives
    coming etc.

The restaurant also has four rooms for B & B. and my friend and a partner
    are planning to set up a plastic bottle recycle thing.

Amazing thing which happened was after we went upstairs into one of
    the rooms and did our twin hearts meditation, all my exhaustion magically
    disappeared!! i mean i went there dragging my steps and yawning and after
    an hour of just sitting talking trying not to fall asleep, after meditation, viola
    i felt light and energetic like i just woke up. amazing stuff. doesnt happen all
    the time tho, have to be honest.

i had to go visit a old acquaintance of DHs who has fallen on hard times
    after that, (she looked after him for a bit as a baby, since his mum died
    early) and give some monetary help, and in the 100 degrees heat i and
    my friend were able to go in a cab, meet the lady, talk and then walk our'way
    to the monkey temple nearby up this steep flight of steps. I was telling my
    friend, what is this what is this. She is normally hale and hearty but was
    sweating like anything.

A good productive day.

Wish all days were like that. Life gets in the way. Yesterday was spent
    trying to get thru it. lol.

Everyone sorry for the W & P tome.

Keep well, Jam, Freida, Jole, Soul, Barry and all MIAs a hello toyou all
    also.

God Bless
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  12. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone! Rock started a new volume, so be sure and post over there now...
  13. springwater

springwater Member

Granni - i went through same anxiety when my DH was away, can you imagine
    he had been in Malaysia two days when i saw headlines of the missing Malaysian
    airliner!!! i relaxed a bit only when i saw the trip was scheduled for China..but
    still worried...thought things like hijackings went on only in arab related countries

Good wishes for your sons safe and fruitful trip. and for a joyous easter meal..
    you seem all prepared.

Jamin - its one of those decisions we all hv to make i guess, giving up something
    because its no longer good for us in long run...ive been talking to DH about maybe
    thinking of moving elsewhere, this house is too big and lumbering and not the
    most adequately designed building..my legs are too achy now to keep climbing
    flights of stairs to get to our living space and to terrace to dry clothes...

Mikie - talking of eggs, i got a hankering to own something like a Faberge egg,
    i know the real thing is a dream at this point, lol...