The Porchlight is on, Vol 371

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, May 10, 2009.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Rosin on the Bow
    And here we go!

Taters in the oven. Chicken in the pan.
    Swing that gal as best you can.

Now Ladies to the center and form a star.
    Gents, stay put right where you are.

Then promenade with heel and toe;
    Not too fast and not too slow.

All jump up and all come down.
    Waltz your gal around the town.

And all...go...home!

Members of the band:

Jerry Kunkat, fiddle
    Martha Krebsbach, piano
    Sally Boe, accordian
    Virgil Peterson, guitar

Caller, Earl Fjelstad

Posts by Granni and Springwater from today on previous volume.

Marta, glad to see ya. Hope you're feelin' better. Linda, happy to hear you're home.
    Hope you're healing up w/ no complications.

Step right up to the long table by the door, folks. Lemonade and bars to keep
    your strength up.

ETA: Well, I woulda closed out the last volume, but despite repeated
    attempts couldn't get a "Reply" button. What can one do?
    [<i>This Message was Edited on 05/10/2009</i>]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/12/2009]
  2. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I've been wondering (being new here & uninformed)- so I'll just come right out & ask.

What is the "porchlight"?

3. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Thanks for explaining that. I think I'll sing on the porch (since in real life I can't carry a tune in a bucket!).

I just explained my illness in a reply to a question in the post entitled "I found an unexpected benefit". I won't re-type it here, but feel free to check it out there.

Of course, that's merely what I have. It's not who I am. :)

I'll try to think of a way to tell who I am, w/o writing a book about it. LOL

Thanks for the welcome! Is there room on the porch swing? Can we catch lightnin' bugs?
  4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I just popped in before my son comes over this Mother's Day. I see Elaine did a great job of explaining the Porches rules or should I say non rules.

However, I do not think she mentioned the Porchlight question that you asked.. Every 30 or so posts the Porchlight changes volumes , just to make it easy for everyone So the volumes are numbered as you can see. I hope that helps.

ROCK - just started us up on the newest one. Thanks a lot for you newest square dance call and our newest volume. Glad to see you back. It has been quiet here without you.

Again - love to everydobby !

[This Message was Edited on 05/10/2009]
  5. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I just dropped in to wish a happy Mother's Day to all the moms. What a blessing it is to be a mother.

Marta...What a wonderful surprise to see your post. I think of you often. So sorry that you've had so much pain recently. I've heard that the shingles can be so hard on a person and adding muscle spasms to that must have bad a miserable spring for you. I;ve missed you.

Linda...Very happy for you that you are home. You've been in my prayers. Wishing you a quick healing process.

To all others, I thank you for always keeping my seat on The Porch available. I do enjoy stopping in and visiting with you and being a part of your lives.
  6. ckball

ckball New Member

I just wanted to wish our mothers here a Happy MOthers's Day. I see we have had some long lost porchers visit, hello to Linda, Marta and Sweetie

Welcom Pippi, Elaine did do a good job at explaining how the porch works, it was based on the old days when people would sit on thier front porch in the evening and visit. It was started Sep 2006 and still going.

Some of us have been here since the begining and others come and go and do not feel pressured to remember everyone or every thing, heck we don't half the time ourselves, LOL.

I spent all day working on a video for my daughter for Mothers Day, I scanned in a bunch of photos and made a video of out life. Don't know if she will like it but I am still hanging in there hoping one day she will come around.

I do have sad news today, my freind Diane, her husband passed away this morning. He had lung cancer that had gone to the brain, they told him a month ago he would have 3-6 months. He was in the hospital last week for pneumoia and came home Fri as he had improved. He got up this morning and collasped and that was it.

I am getting ready to go over there, her daughters are with her and making the funeral arrangements. I feel so bad that this happened on Mother's Day. So I will be mia myself for a few more days.

Georgia I am glad the arrangments have been made for your aunt, I know how hard this has been for you.

I am sending out hello's to everydobby else and hope your day was a happy one. Carla
  7. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Yes, it's extra sad when someone passes on a holiday.
  8. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I just got home from hanging out with Mom (& the whole gang) for a Mothers' Day get-together.

I'm so glad that our family gatherings are relaxing & enjoyable!

It was an extra special Mothers' Day for my sis-in-law (brothers' wife). Their baby (first baby for both of them) is almost 8 months old now, & it was sil's 1st Mothers' Day. & next month will be bros' 1st Fathers' Day.

That strikes me as being very very cool.

Hey! Why isn't there an Aunties' Day????? LOL!

Hope y'all had a nice day, too!
  9. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I hope all our mom's had a wonderful day yesterday:) Hi Pippi....I'll have to look for your post "unexpected benefits??"...just the title alone is calling to!

There is another "holy war" going on in the Spiritual/Worship board. It really is draining to have to see...especially because I like all off the people involved. I think the safe course of action is for me to avoid that board for a few days and let things cool off. It's kind of like watching friends argue about something....and here I am feeling awkward and uncomfortable.

I am so happy to have the porch where the atmosphere is great and the people even greater:) Michigan we are still in the 60's...even had frost last night:) I have always wanted to learn to knit and make baby blankets and such.

House season finale is on tonight....I hope I don't forget to watch it....I do love watching, I mean the! Well, he is a handsome man:)

Hello to all

10. Granniluvsu

Georgia - Hope the visit with your dad goes ell and that he behaves. Hope your knitting lesson goes wel to with your studentl.

Pippi - Yes, I also liked the "unexpected benefits" thread that you posted the other day. I really agree with you . That is the way the Porch is - very friendly and no need to feel awkward or uncomfortabale as you do sometimes on some of the boards. Most of the times all is well though ! Glad you had a nice visit with your Mother and family yesterday.

Deb - I fully understand what you mean about the "Holy Wars" going on. I feel the very same way. I usually check in and read alot but may not post at all. Occasionally I do though. I could say more but I won't. I'll be good :) !!

Carla - Hope you are feeling well after al the work that has had to be done. You have earned lots of fun rides in your golf cart, and the girls too. Have you all been riding lately?

Sweetie - a very special hi to you. Nice to see youpop in. Hope things are improving for you and your family. Drop in more often if you can.

Hope everydobby enjoyed their Mother's Day with family. Now it is back to monday as usual !

Hugs and blessings to y'all !!

[This Message was Edited on 05/11/2009]
  11. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Hi Pippi, welcome to our family. It keeps growing and growing and that is always good. It is lovely here today on the porch, sunny, warm and beautiful clouds out in the sky.

I had the most wonderful Mother's Day, the men all cooked, i.e. barbeque pork steaks, grilled chicken, grilled asparagus and peppers, baked potatoes, and salad. It was delicious and they all cleaned up. My FIL even got a cake for all of us Mothers. Ashley got home about 8:00, so that was the best present I got of all.

Carla I am so sorry about your friend's husband, that is such a shame. I am glad you could be there for her. Also, I think that is the sweetest thing what you are doing for your daughter. I pray that she will come around and remember that family is blood and to put all the bad things behind so she can go forward with her life. She doesn't know what what she is missing, you are one of the most wonderful persons that i know. I wish i could adopt you as my Mommy. LOL

Well i cant stay it is 5 and I am out of here. Catch you all tomorrow. Bye for now Porchies.

Love you all.

12. springwater

springwater Active Member

Bit rushed.....good to hear about all the Mothers Day celebrations

Pippi - welcome to the board....

Carla , condolences for your friends husband, hope and pray your daughter comes around.

My uncle and aunt left yesterday, went to see them off. My normally traditional aunt was wearing pants and a long shirt on top..I was agape, in my twenty years of being in this family i have not seen her in pants.

It rained so hard on the way back home, the hailstones were hitting against the taxi window, the dirver stopped a while so the glass wouldnt break.

I made kidney beans curry and okra and flat bread for the men for dinner.

Then i collapsed.

Take care all of you,

God Bless
  13. Granniluvsu

Have to tyoe quick since DH went out to get gas in the car and leave it out. The contractors are coming sometime his morning to work on putting the beam(s) upstairs (as we have some cracks in the ceiling and a few walls. He may also paint a wall or two at least the ceiling. So I may not be able to get on most of the day and have snging practice this afternoon.

Georgia- glad that your students are enjoying your class. I am sure they will be good knitters getting your experience and good teaching.

Carla - so sorry to hear about your friend's hubby. That is terrible. Please know that they (the family) are also in my prayers.

Elaine - thanks for your info on FS. I think I figured that out but am not sure I am going to continue with it or not. I get up every night 1-2x to go to the potty but usually do go back to sleep. Not sure if I should be out like a light or not. Good luck and enjoy your first batch of company. Sounds like you do expect them to behave. (-: !!

Linda - hope this finds you feeling better after your surgery, or should I say alot better.

Well, I had better get off of here and try and check back later if I have the time or can actually get on my computer. ..Hope that everydobby is well and happy.

Love to you all,

14. rockgor

I've been on the board about 45 minutes this morning. The reply button popped up, but
    clicking on it produced no result. Then it went away.

Then it popped up again. So I will do a message in my mail box and hope to get it posted later.
    If that doesn't work I'll just put it in a bottle and throw it in the ocean.

Which one? Doesn't matter. There's only one ocean.

"Why is life so hard?" asked the Little Red Hen. Or was that Puss in Boots? To be
    purrfectly honest, I can't remember.

[This Message was Edited on 05/12/2009]
  15. rockgor

Ok, been trying to post off and on all day. Not
    having a whole lot of success.

Gordon and I went out to eat last Saturday. Something we do once or twice a year. We visited the ever-popular IHOP. The last time I
    was in an IHOP was 20-30 years ago.

It was noisy and crowded and very expensive.
    Well, a good reminder why we don't go out very often.

Then we went shopping at Wal-mart. I bought a Westclock alarm clock and Koss headphones. These two companies have been in business over a century and a half, but as you might expect, the products are now made in China.

The headphones have a cord only 4 feet long which means I have to move the stereo, the table
    or the bed. I told Gordon the cord could have been made longer for an insignificant cost.

He said, "I knew something would be wrong." I'm afraid he is getting tired of living with someone who is alwas depressed or angry or both.

I am planning a trip to N. Calif. in a few days. It
    is 500 miles. Don't know if I can even drive that far anymore, but I feel I have to make at least one more attempt to escape from LA.

Maybe I can find out on the net which rents are up there. Some places I looked at have prices of
    $1,500 to $2,000. Seems like a lot for a month's rent.

Of course, when I first started working and paying rent, I was paying less than
    a $100 a month, so maybe my figure of reference is a bit outta date.

Glad to see you are able to post, Linda. Hope your recovery is smooth as Fred's soft shoe. With regard to computer settings, the only thing I know is that the computer sets on the table.

Granni, good luck with the contractors. My brother had horror stories about the ones who worked on his house a couple years ago.

Elaine, glad you're feeling chipper. I was chipper myself about 35 years ago. Loved your line: After a few years it becomes the norm.

Springwater, hope your are still not collapsed.
    I don't think I understand the taxi driver's thinking. How does stopping prevent the hail from breaking the windows?

Mickey-O, happy to hear you had a wonderful
    Mother's Day. The menu sounds great. Especially w/ the guys doing all the work.

Think I will try and post this. See what happens.

16. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Rocko - you are driving 500 miles, Yikes. I hope you are going to have a passenger with you. Sounds like a fun trip though, it is nice to just get away once in awhile. It has been forever since we have been on a vacation, something we should have never stopped doing. I guess we just can't afford it nowadays with college, gas prices and everyhting else going up and up and of course our pay is not going up, so what is up with that.

Oh well, Cate, I saw your post about the swine flu in our area, OMG I didn't know that. Hopefully your daughter just has a little bug and it goes away really fast.

Lincamp, you sound chipper and on the road to recovery, yoohooo. I bet your daughter was beautiful, I can't wait to see a picture so hurry and put one up. I still have yet been able to change out my picture on my profile. I have emailed Pro Health numerous times and they never respond.

Well Ashley is home now and yesterday it was so funny she called me at work and said Mom I am bored, LOL. She is not used to having a day to just do nothing. I told her to enjoy doing nothing for a change and just be a bum once in a while. When hubby got home from work, they went fishing, so that was a nice time for Daddy and daughter time.

Lindsay just has a couple more weeks of school and then she will be out for the summer. She quite her job, which i am furious with her for. I told her she should have found something else first before she quite. Now she is searching for places to work and she better hurry because i am not giving her anymore gas money, I just can't afford it.

We are going to open the pool this weekend finally. We haven't had a weekend to be able too, they have all been filled up so this weekend is solely going to be used to working outside and getting ready for the hot summer days ie patio furniture out, sweeping deck, open pool, deweed, etc....... Yippee!!!!!! It will all be worth it when it is done. That is the hardest thing about the pool is opening it, after that, the saltwater cleans it all by itself and you hardly ever have to maintain it during the summer except skimming it sometimes with the net.

Well, I am rambling and rambling, everyone is at lunch, i just got back so I wanted to come on here while i had the chance and chat with you all.

Sweetie, Debra, Pippi, Granni, Spring, Elaine, Marta, Julie, Georgia, everyboddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and that means everyboddy, even lurkers and peekers. LOL Take care and have a good Tuesday.

17. rockgor

Hi, Pippi. I was going to say, I bet the card companies would like the idea of Aunties' Day, but then I got to wondering. How many people buy cards anymore?

Maybe they are being put outta business like the newspapers.

RE: the porch thread, it is unique is that it does not have a topic. Folks just gather here, like people used to do on front porches, and socialize. See "Porch Talk" by Philip Gulley if
    you want more history/viewpoints.

Good to see you again, Sweetie. Drop by when you can.

And good to hear from you, Carla. Still working on that pesky door? I read that the pioneers considered metal hinges a luxury. They used leather hinges which had a tendency to stretch
    and didn't fit too well.

Yup Mickey, 500 miles. Should be an easy 2-day drive. But I was exhaustenized last
    Saturday after my meeting, Wal-mart and IHOP. Came home and slept about ten hours.

Gordon will be 60 in a few days. He is willing to move, but fears he cannot get another job if we move. He wants me to wait till he retires. But I will soon be 69, and I expect to be
    dead by the time he retires, so I want to move now.

If I do, we will still be in touch w/ e mails, phone calls, visits, etc. And he will save money
    on rent because he won't need the apt. He can go back to living w/ his wretched mother
    in the house they both own.

He's the only one of her 6 kids who can stand to spend any time with her. She is so
    mean she will probably outlive both of us.

If I don't move to n. Calif., I might move to Missouri. Then I could come and swim in
    your pool. But I read on the net Missouri had 90 tornadoes in a recent year, so it
    sounds a little too windy for me.

Regards to everydobby; Barry and Monica and Marta and things too fierce to mention.

18. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Move here Rocko, I would love it. You could shack up in the basement, there is a kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, media room and even an office down there, everything you need. Where in the world did you here 90 tornadoes, LOL. Nope not in my area anyway. I have only seen one tornado my whole almost 44 years here is Missour. I know there have been a lot more, but that at least tells you it is not as many as you think. LOL

So anyway, let me know when you come I will have your new house all ready for you.

Love ya

19. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

You'd be surprised, Rock!

I design cards for specific peeps, & specific situations, & do the artwork myself (which I then manipulate on the computer). Some peeps get teary-eyed, & others come right out & bawl.

In our mass produced, e-greeting world, peeps are especially touched by something designed especially for them - something they can (& do) hold onto forever...

The big card companies may indeed be having difficulties. But I have more design clients than I can accept. :)

This personal knowledge made it all the more surprising to me, that I've found such a wonderful home here with y'all on the computer!!!
    But, y'all aren't mere cyber-buddies. You're real people who understand me.

Y'all can't imagine how much better my life has become since accidentally crash-landing here at the boards.

Hey! About tornadoes:
    Tornadoes in the south (& the fringes of the south) are more dangerous that the ones in "tornado alley"! That's cuz the geography causes southern tornadoes to hit mostly during the night, when peeps are asleep. (True!!!)

20. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Elaine! If we sing on the porch, we'll sound WONDERFUL!!!

LMAO!!!!! :D