The Porchlight is On VOL. 50 (CLOSED)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 1sweetie, Nov 22, 2006.

1. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Good afternoon everyone. I'm starting this thread first and am now going to close the old one if able.

We have been having severe weather so I am hopefully that weather permits me to post soon.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/22/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/25/2006]
  2. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

We have had severe weather here for a couple of days now...dark gray skies, high winds, and several inches of rain. We are in a flood warning at present although my home is not in a flood zone. The wind has been very strong. It has been scary. Because of the location of my home and the high roof structure, it gets bombarded with wind when it is blowing and gusting like it is now. All of this is from a front that is off our coastline. I hope it dissipates instead of going up the coast to visit Anne.

I have an appointment soon and thankfully my husband is home so he will take me. The roads will be an issue but he has the right vehicle for bad weather.

I am making this short because I do not want to lose another post. I am surprised that I was able to post at all.

Hopefully I can get on line again

3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Morning to all. Happy Thanksgiving for tomorrow and sorry I did not get to say good trip to Joe.

I have been following your bad weather and more today. Gee I am sorry. Here it is lovely weather, warmish and blue sunny skies.

My brother reached the goal of breathing off ventilator for 48 hours!!!! Yeh!!!! Hopefully they may be able to switch trachs soon and get him drinking liquids and talking.

Lincamp, don't forget our personal body guard "Guido" that Joe brought into our lives.

Jodie, all of my firends have husbands who are at least 7 or 8 years younger than they are-so just relax and enjoy! My oldest son married a gal who was 8 years older than he was and Dan is seven years younger than I am, so my DIL and DH were pretty close in age!!! Dan was about 6 years older than her is all. Age, Weight and Height are just numbers!!!

I probably will be dashing about tomorrow so wishing everyone a good holiday and thankful for you all here. Blessings to all at home at abroad.

Love Annie

4. gilley

gilley New Member

Annie - great to hear that your brother reached his goal! SMG and I are praying for him every day.

Carla - Tax Refund yes!!! yes!!!yes!!!! I think a vacation sounds wonderful. Next time we meet on the porch we can look at brochures and plan an exciting trip.

1 sweetie - Hope your weather improves. I absolutely hate the thought of winter weather. Actually, I wouldn't mind it much if I didn't have to work and could make a pot of tea and head to the porch with a great book. Dream on Gilley!!!

To the rest of my Porchdwellers , you are wished a wonderful Thanksgiving. Any leftovers, (desserts that is)meet friday on the porch. I will have the coffee and tea on and the chairs all lined up.

I think SMG did go with Mrdad!!!!!
  5. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

The rain is now only a drizzle and the wind is barely blowing and I am thankful. The storm has advanced north. I hope that it is more calm by the time it reaches my fellow "Porchies" on the eastern coast.

The wind was so strong that is was blowing my flower containers over and into the house. There were mini wind funnels in the yard that caught leaves and any debris that was in the area. We will have to check for damage tomorrow.

As we went to my appointment there were a few ponds that had overflowed into the road and some people were beginning to work on fences where the trees had crashed into them. They have to get them up to keep the cows in place.

I hope each of you have someone to be with on Thanksgiving that makes you happy and that each of us remember to be thankful. I hope for tomorrow that you feel better and can find something that you enjoy.

For those of us whose Thanksgiving is different than it was before or if we have a person that is ill in our family or you have a lost a loved one or will not be with the people you wish to be with, I will remember and say a prayer for a peaceful Thanksgiving and one of acceptance for all of us. It is especially hard during the holidays when everything has changed in our lives. May all of you have the best day possilbe.

Hugs and a Happy Thanksgiving to each of you.

6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Wow, it seems as if we should be celebrating our golden something here with that 50th thread. Thanksgiving will have to do it for us.

Good job, Susan, opening the Porch. I'm glad your trip was safe and that you avoided a lot of weather damage. Is this the start of a hard winter, I wonder? Good thing it will be toasty here on the Porch with our fireplace and bankies.

Annie: so glad to hear of Geoff's improvement. What a thankful time for you. Oh, yes, I'd forgotten about Guido too, in fact I somehow missed the Guido era entirely. I'm glad we're well cared for.

Carla NL, well, nuts. I'm sorry you're going through all this junk. Only you would be able to make a spread sheet of your symptoms for the doctor. I wonder if he is as in awe of you as I am? Good news about that tax refuund too.

Sassy, good for you; you're hanging on at the gym AND cooking. I know you'll be able to make this year special with your mom. Time does have a way of changing the faces around the table, doesn't it?

Gilley, Good, SMG did go with Joe, huh? We can get out the Absolut then and put on our shiny leather shoes.

When I walked up to the porch I noticed that someone, probably Linda, put many pumpkins and gourds on the Porch for Thanksgiving. It looks very festive along with the mum plants.

I'll be around tomorrow morning but I know many of you will be off to special places for Thanksgiving. I'll wish you all a wonderful holiday now. We have much to be thankful for.

Hugs here and wherever this holiday takes you. May you come safely back to the Porch soon.

7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Good to see you again. I haven't been able to hobble to the porch these last few days. My back went out on Sunday.

You know the old joke. At my age, my back goes out more than I do. Anyway been pretty much stuck in bed. Saw the bone cracker yesterday, and he shoved things back in the right direction.

Will see him again Friday and will probably be fine until the next episode.

I concur w/ Sweetie. Hope everyone is having the best holiday possible.

8. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i just got back home tonight.

went to local pub. it was crowded w/youngsters. right up my

ran into dana stubblefield's brother tonight he played football w/my exhb. nice to see him again..he always asks about cody.

well i need to take my night time meds and go to bed. it has been raining a bit so i am feeling it in my neck/shoulders other areas.

well have everyone have a nice thanks giving not matter what might bring you down. just try to think positive about what is good in your life. just needs to be one thing. family, friends or whatever you can think of.

sleep for me now.

9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Happy Thanksgiving morning to all,

It seems that the Porch is part of my waking up process and today is no exception since I'm not frantically preparing for guests. As soon as I get myself awake, I'll bake the pumpkin pie, then take a rest to prepare for the crowd at my DILs. We're to have sun and temps in the 50s which is wonderful for all those traveling "over the river and through the woods".

Interesting conversation with my oldest son last evening - about a lot of things including this Thanksgiving situation. I admitted to him that in many areas of my life now I had gotten myself to a point where I didn't care; that, in fact, I'd found not caring to be quite helpful in my life in general because it's less painful. When you have a mysterious illness that gets no respect, when have to give up your work that you loved, when you lose the majority of your friends, and when your children have lives of their own - which is what you raised them to do - it's easier not to care.

So here's this big macho guy with the shaved head telling his mother, You can't do that. "Why not?", I asked. "Because not caring is harder than caring.", he said. And you know what? He's right, this kid of mine. I guess I'll have to go back to caring, at least a bit more. Not need to wonder what I'm thankful for this year, is there?

Carla NL, what a wonderful idea that you and Prickles have. Can you patent it and make some bucks? I'd think so. Give it a snazzy medical-sounding name and market it for a reasonable but worthwhile sum. Both you women have the talent to do that and together you're twice as good.

Rock, sorry about your back. Seems when our back hurts, everything hurts. I hope today is better. Is Gordon cooking dinner?

Carla NL, thank you so much for taking the time to write your thoughts about us and dogs. I think of the work of them especially every morning when I don't have to get up before I'm ready and let somebody outside. What's more, I don't have a fenceable yard here and can't just let them run so walking would be crucial. On the other hand, there's allllll that unconditional love.... Perhaps, as so many things do, it will work itself out if I can be patient.

I love the picture of your dogs. Twila looks a bit bored by the whole photography session while Missy's heart is right in her big eyes. I can imagine how much company they are. I still miss my old cats incredibly much. Like yours, they were with me throughout, when I was well and when I got sick. It's hard to lose anyone of any species who knew you "before" because then you begin to lose that part of you too. On the other hand, perhaps it's best to move forward as best we can.

Sister Mary Gregroy is here?? Lordy Lou, let me get these shiny shoes off right now! Have a good dinner out with your friend. No confusion, noise or dishes sounds downright good.

Jodie, it sounds like you had fun last night, and you're right; we have much to be thankful for. I was thinking only this morning that every day brings miracles if we take time to watch for them. I sure have my share.

Happy Turkey Day to everyone, or whatever day it is for you where you are.

10. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

It's nice to have the Porch to come to this morning. I, like Marta, am feeling the pain (and the relief) of not being responsible for Thanksgiving. I am so thankful that my wonderful daughter is hosting the event this afternoon yet I miss my old life. Everything that I have to bring is ready and all I have to do is take my time and rest so I can try to make it through the noise too. Marta, when you expressed your feelings about the status of your life, I feel the same way. I understand more than I want too.

I still have so many reasons to be thankful yet I still mourn for the way things were before. I feel like I have let so many people down. I was the one that invited everyone to my home and always had relatives that would be alone. Now I am one of the ones that need a place to go and I worry about the people that I used to have at my home. We are going to get my "special" SIL from the group home and take her with us. I don't know how that is going to work. Marta, I need to talk to your son now but mine will be here soon and I am sure he will say something that will brighten my day too. There is that special bond between mother and son. He knows how I feel without saying anything so many times. My daughter is my best friend as long as it isn't "lake time".

Now that I have had my pity party and all of you were so kind to listen, I do have so many reasons to be grateful and I am going to spend the rest of my day thinking about that and not about the past.

ck Carla, You sound as conflicted about being a pet owner as I do. I truly love my lab but I sometimes wonder if I would not be physically better if I did not have him. My husband brought him home (as a beautiful puppy) about 3 months after my crash. I could not care for myself let alone a dog. He was not well behaved and the reason for that is that no one is able to walk him and play with him. He deserves better than we can give. I have though many times of finding him another home but he is a great deal like Marley (from the book Marley & Me) and I just don't know what to do. He loves me unconditionally but he needs more than I am physically able to provide him. I need the Dog Whisper and life would improve. He is in charge...the Alpha leader. Just remember when you think about wanting one at home...can you handle a two year old on a regular basis and they are expensive to maintain properly.

Rocky, I love how you can find a joke about everything. You are such an interesting person. I hope your back improves and that you and Gordon have a good Thanksgiving. Please send my best wishes to him also.

Carla NL, I hope the nausea is better. I hope things turn around for you soon. I went to your website yesterday and I started to email you but I was so tired and just did not feel like it. I really admire you and Prickles. Stay warm.

Linda, I am thinking of you today and all the people that you are missing today. I hope the day goes well for you.

Jodie, I hope you have fun. I'm glad that you are still able to have a good time. Anne, is right about age. It is not a big deal. My daughter was 32 when she married and her husband was 26. They seem to be very happy. She has never wanted children. I really hope they discussed this before they said "I do". I have a "granddog".

I've made this post too long. To all that I haven't addressed personally, I send hugs and good and positive Thanksgiving wishes.

((((((Hugs)))))))to all.

11. gilley

gilley New Member

Good to see everyone ready for a day of family, friends, food and fun. Have a wonderful day. Hope all travel safely and we will catch up on the porch in the morning.

hugs to all,
  12. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

smg will let me know. when she comes back w/

i get to have my hair done tomarrow. i will tell my friend that is a stylist. please give me a look that males me look 10 years younger.

my hair curling iron bit the dust today. so i had to go to dinner w/it straight. it is in need of trim and color/highlights.

i got attacked w/ibs and didn't even eat any dessert. feel better now though.

my frien's exhb brought his nice mistress to the dinner. nice .

well gonna go now do some studying.

13. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Good morning to you all,

We all made it through our various situations, didn't we? For me, it was like being in a flock of noisy penguins. I think of The March of The Penguins movie and remember all that jostling and bumping into. That's what yesterday reminded me of. My sweet son kept a close eye on me and whisked me out of there after threeeeeeeeeeeeee loooooooong hours.

Sweeties, yes! Oh, "to be able" again! I know it's better not to look back but it's hard on holidays, isn't it? After all, it seems that that's what holidays are for; reflection and love. And yes, sons are very special. I say that as I have no daughters but I do know there's a strong bond between my sons and me. We were on our own, just the three of us, for a long time so we became A Team.

Don't think you were having a pity party, Susan, you were just expressing some feelings that we all understand here.

Thank you for your thoughts about dogs, too. I'm quite sure I'm delusional but I still find myself wanting one. I do not think about the walking part though.... I wonder if walking a dog is harder than going downstairs daily to scoop litter boxes and frequently to change the litter and LUG the heavy bag up the stair, to the garage and later to the curb. That was very hard. Carrying really affects me, for some reason.

Carla ck, You had real meat? Good for you. You know that red meat is supposed to be good for us, according to Dr. Myhill. I love the story about you and your friend, about how you just moved on. I think that's what must be done sometimes when you know you're not quitting.

Hello to all the rest of you, too. To Gilley, Linda and Jodie who I see were here recently. I'm thinking of Annie and Lola, Gnanny...... so many good people but I'd better not get into trying to name everyone or I'll forget someone. I hope those visiting relatives are bearing up. I wonder if Joe's getting ready to come home. We get more serious when he or Rock isn't here.

Over there Jerome has a pile of wreaths, bows and swags ready to put up on the porch today. It will be lovely although it still feels so early! Is anyone going shopping today? I stay out of those crowds and as a matter of fact will do most of my shopping online this year.

Hugs all 'round the Porch. I'm leaving some hot coffee for coffee drinkers and some left-over pumpkin pie and turkey for Jodie - and anyone else who wants some.

14. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

pumpkin pie sounds really good right now.
    i have been up most of the night. running to the bathroom. i called kaiser they said go get some azo and the p/u my script after 2 pm.

i have a uti/bladder infection. pain, frequent urination and blood in it. darn it.

try finding a store open at 3-4 am. i had to go to san rafeal walgreens and hope i didn't have the urge to pee. and oh the pain walking.

but i found some azo. sounds like some men i have

i have 10:30 hair appt this morning. i hate to cancel.

i am hopeing the cranberry juice and azo works quickly.

and thanks ckball anne anne eeveryoe else i can't think right now. i will not trip on the age. atleast he has 2 children already. i am done w/my own children. it would be a mircle if i ever concieved/

good night
  15. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hi all,

I must say I'm relieved that most of our gang is busy today because I've been at the Shelter for the morning and am pooped. If my granddaughter hadn't wanted so badly to go, I'd have continued on back to bed where I was headed.

Jodie, what a lousy thing it is to have this illness AND something else. I've had best luck with cranberry capsules instead of the sugary juice for urninary tract probs. I hope you're doing better.

Carla NL, it's horrid the way the pits can creep up on us, isn't it? So glad it was temporary but not good to be driving at the time. I swear I have to medicate me by feel every day.

This has been another lovely day in Michigan. Why do I think it's the calm before the storm? Meanwhile, I see that Jerome has the holiday decorations in place. They look so nice, don't they? I see a bottle of Absolut stuck up there in the wreath though... Must be he plans a party later.

Hugs all around the porch,

16. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Just checking in after "heck" week.. Holidays are no fun in the restaurant business.. I'm hurting like heck after yesterday but first time in a week it's been slow enough in the office for me to check in at all!!

Rock.. sorry about the back.. I'm going through it too.. trying to get into a ortho - appt. isn't till Jan. 16th. ugh! DDD and spondylolsthesis- They upped my meds again this week.. getting to where I can barely work through the pain any more. Came home in tears again last night, just could not get on top of the pain. Maybe I need a date with your back cracker!! (like that name! lol!)

ANYway.. just a quick check in and off to try and catch up on the board..

Hope everyone had a wonderful Turkey day.. Love and kisses to all
  17. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Is someone able to tell me should this be a new number porchlight. I was going to look for 51.

See how it all flals apart when Guido takes Joe out of town!!!

Love AC
  18. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i got my antibiotic. i take it for three days. so i am tuckered out. my friend that works in a salon, called me this morning at 8 am. and asked if i was coming in. i told her i will do it, but i have uti. she said she has had them a couple of times herself. and asked if 1:30pm would be better.

of course i said yes. and i did get my hair all pretty. she cut off about 6 inches. she said my ends were getting broke off. i think it is because i was putting my hair i those no hair breakage bands. but it still looks nice. shorter all/

i am going to go back to sleep. i feel like am gettig a viral sore throat thing now. i think my immune system is really down.

boy those people going to school full-time i can feel their pain.

hugs to all and i will let you know if cody's team win's tomarrow night. they are looking to going to the california high school bowl game. state championship.

19. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'm taking the chance that the number of posts is right - but, you know? if I'm wrong I guess we can all live through it. I suppose this is a good example of how easily we can stess ourselves out if we're not careful.

After being at the shelter yesterday morning which made two active days in a row I feel as if someone beat me with a board during the night without me knowing it. These holly days can be rough when we push ourselves through them and don't know enough to lie down.

Dona, so good to see you here on the Porch but I wish you weren't having such a rough time. I simply cannot fathom how you folks who work do it when I can't spend two hours petting cats (and walking a dog; that was the killer). When I have enough energy I get furious for all you people who must work, while the CDC misspent our funds. May they all receive the kharma they deserve.

Annie, I just never do know when I come on the Porch near the end of the mandated 30, especially now that Yahoo has "upgraded" its service and won't always let me Refresh. Good to see you ever so briefly.

Jodie, I do know how important is our hair. I'm glad you were able to get yours cut and that you like it. As much as I know it will grow and as superficial as I know it is, if my hair looks bad, I feel worse. Gooooooooo, Cody!

Hugs to all Porchies here and those afar. I hope this holiday weekend is filled only with good things for you.

[This Message was Edited on 11/25/2006]
  20. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

according to the # beside the beginning of thread. I still like to post at the beginning along with Marta and now Linda. It is so much easier for me.

The weather has changed drastically again. This time it's wonderful. The sun is shining with beautiful blue skies and the temperature increased by 30+ degrees. What a difference in a couple of days.

Marta and Carla NL, oh how I am relating to those feelings you are having... the longing for my old life and the guilt for not being able to help more. I can't blame these feelings on anti-virals. It is the holidays and as Marta related the memories of past years that bring the tears. And Carla NL, my Mom is so tired from her daily cancer medications and I can't help either. She doesn't really understand what's wrong with me. She told me yesterday that she had always thought she would not have to worry about getting older because I would be there to take care of her...I thought so too. In their hearts I know they think I can just suck it up and do like I did for so long. I appreciate each of you being so honest with your feelings as it makes me feel that I'm not alone. I had always thought I could do anything that I decided to do and did and now....well you know it's not possible. I had never felt useless or so much guilt before.

ck Carla...Yea for getting to eat meat. That must have been quite a treat. I am so thankful that you connected with your friend. It does sound as if it was meant to be.

Anne, please tell us about your Thanksgiving. I was intrigued by the site you were going to for the holiday. Was it fun? I am so happy for Geoff. I can not imagine what he has been through. I only things improve from this point on.

Rocky, I hope you are feeling better. How did it go with the back cracker yesterday? I hope you have a good one. Some of them scare me.

Jodie, Those URI's are very uncomfortable. I hope you improve soon so that you can enjoy the game tomorrow. It must be exciting to have your son playing in the state finals.

Linda, How was Thanksgiving? I thought of you that day. As I set here crying for me, I shed a few tears for all of us whose holiday was changed so much from years past.

Dona, It was good to hear from you. My heart goes out to you. I hope you get some relief soon.

Lola, We are thinking of you while you are feeling so bad. Take care of yourself.

I am missing mrdad. I hope he was able to rest. He had quite a hectic schedule this week.

For all those missing from The Porch, you are missed. Please stop in again soon.