The Porchlight is on Vol. 681 NOW CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

A quick HI to everydobby,

It is so chilly in this house. Tomorrow the guys should come and fix out furnace. Thank God one of them works on one side of the house, Our bedroom isn't to warm but we will sleep under lots of blankets. Glad they are coming tomorrow. I tis in the 40's right now. I guess it could be worse outside.

Talking about cheese sure sounds great as I love almost all kind of cheese.. That Unexpected Cheddar sounds really good , Jam. I don't think I have ever had it. Cheese can make almost everything and anything taste better, especially if it is melted.

Hi Rock and Sun ! Hope all is well and your DH, Sun is feeling a little better and is a bit more upbeat for you. I am sure if he is sad it makes you the same way , or at least it makes it harder. Also hope your weather is a bit better than it has been.

Have to eat early tonight as we have horal Society practice so I need to start fixing a few things. Left over chicken, maybe a sweet potatoes and a veggie and or salad.

Julie - Hope all is well at your house my dear. You are always running hither and yon and helping someone. Hope Lindsey is doing better with her pregnancy. Are thy still house looking?

Diane - Hope you are feeling a little better and less anxious. Let us know how everything went and how you are doing after your counseling appt. I think it is in a couple of days. Hopeit helps for your doctors appt.

Hi to SW and everydobby else I may not have mentioned.

Love,
    Granni :)
  2. springwater

springwater Member

hello all

ive been reading off n on but too tied up with errands/chores and too busted at other
    times to post.

i tried to take a few days off after last n final week prayer function which went
    swimmingly well. lot of no shows coz it was a new year for a lot of people, and
    some more had gone to india for pilgrimage (bodh gaya) annual function.

luckily knew before so prepared food accordingly. after that i was tying up
    some odds n ends (the ashes n ground bones need to be taken to a clean
    running water and thrown in) that means out of city.

then looking after a cousin brother who has come for funeral from india.
    he is staying with my brother, but came for lunch and few hours and is
    coming again today on his way to departure for home.
    it is getting really hot. my daughters friend that took us to boston n ny
    when we were there also came during the prayer ceremony times and i
    was so stressed with everything, trying to get her stuff to be taken by friend
    and entertaining said friend , i just made lunch once and dh took him golfing.
    i had to prepare a saree, (indian dress,) stitch the petticoat blouse, and saree fall
    lining. luckily found a tailor who ws able to do all that and deliver in six days
    falt. thnk goodness. also sent her box of indian sweets (laddoo) and a
    few pieces of costume jewellery.

well, this post has taken a lot of editing and finally had to switch to laptop
    the usual little manoueuvering wasnt working...grrrr

take care all

Julie - happy to know your brothers MIL passed peacefully, my heart
    feels for the void she has left in that family tho..Ive been bawling a lot
    for brother now that the immediate things have been done with

frieda - prayers for your healing as for Sunflowers dearDH

will address all later when i hv more energy
    god bless
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  3. Darrae

Darrae Member

Hi all,

Not much time to post. Spent the weekend on ice packs when not on the computer. I knew I shouldn't have helped move that table in the coffee nook at work........:( I got home from work, made myself a quick B.L.T., read my e-mails, returned Bob's, (my long standing date partner). Thought I'd look in and read some of the posts.

Julie, my condolences to you and your family. I think, too, that sometimes there is a moment of clarity before God takes us. Glad your SIL is doing better with the cancer treatment. Any improvement is good news!

Mikie, thanks for the definition of mop. I should have that problem! My hair is straight as spaghetti and I have to braid it wet and brush it out the next day to have any body at all. It's too long to put curlers in, (doesn't hold the curl anyhow), and I'm allergic to perms. Oi!

Leah, good to see you posting even if it's only a little. I am praying your voice will continue to improve every day.

Sun, That had really best be some good cheese. Yikes!!

Barry, good to see you on the porch. I recently discovered Honey Crisp apples. They are a great pairing with sharp cheddar.

Granni, It's cold and icky here too.

To those I may have missed, love to all!

Dar
  4. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

Was just watching "Antiques Roadshow". Had to quit. I can't stand all those people talking
    in questions. Statements have disappeared from our language. Everything is a question.

"I got it from my mother? She remembers that it was in her grandparents home?"

"This was made while the artist was living in Rome? These pieces are highly collectible?
    I think at auction it would bring between eight and ten thousand dollars?

I must be under-medicated. Pretty much everything is irritating me today. Good thing
    I spent most of it sleeping.

Dar, I had a tomato from our garden yesterday. Haven't had a BLT for years. Can't chew
    bacon anymore. I remember about 20 years ago telling my secretary that we were growing
    tomatoes in pails. Was going to have a BLT when I got home. She was very health conscious.
    Said, "Bacon? People still eat that stuff?

Springwater, hope you can catch up on your rest. I looked up laddoo on Wikipedia. It
    said sweets made with flour and sugar and a variety of other flavorings. Laddoo (also
    laddu) are small round balls, but last year, for a festival in Indai, one weighing several
    thousand pounds was created. How in the world would you cook something that big?

Granni, how long has you furnace been out? I've been cold most of this past week even
    though the temp has been in the 60s here. Took an extra diabetes pill in case it's due to
    high blood sugar.

I like to experiment with different cheeses, but many of the imported cheeses are $15 to
    $20 a pound. Too much for me. I used to buy a Norwegian cheese made from both
    cow and goat milk. It was called Gjetost. Was brown in color due to the caramelization of
    the milk. It disappeared from the supermarket a couple decades ago.

Never heard of Unexpected Cheddar, Jam. Sounds like the names Tom and Jerry give
    to their ice creams.

Used to try every new apple that showed up at the store, Barry. I was a real applephile.
    Can't eat them anymore either. Did like those Honeycrisps and Pink Ladies. Seems to
    me one of those is a drink.

Well, the rest of my post vanished. When I hit the "Post" button I was gold I'd have to
    sign it. But I had already signed in. Tried to save the post in my mail box, but that didn't
    work either. Uff-da!

Rock
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Jam,

I don't eat much cheese so I don't worry about whether it's soft or not. My NRG comes and goes but this fatigue isn't CFIDS nor FMS. I'm pretty sure it's from the latest knock on the noggin. Time will heal me. On a good day, I do a lot of work.

Super Bowl is usually never the best game of the year. I try not to make judgements regarding which activities and sports people enjoy, except for those which exploit animals, such as rodeos and dog racing (bless the greyhound dog rescue people). When I lived in Denver, I was a fan of football because there is often not much else to do on snowy days except gather with friends and neighbors and watch the game, unless one is skiing. For those who understand the game, there is much more to it than the physical part. The longer one is a fan, and the more one knows about the game, the more one can see and enjoy all that goes into playing it. Otherwise, all one knows it that it is people doing physical damage to one another. I do agree that it is too physical and the head injuries can leave players with lifelong health issues. I honestly don't know how they keep doing what they do week after week. I hope the new "intelligent helmets," (is that an oxymoron?) help keep down the head injuries, especially amo ng teams with young players. There are sports and TV shows which I don't care for but I figure that's why the TV comes with many channels and a remote to shut it off. Down here in FL, there are always a lot of other things to do in the winter besides watch football.

Love, Mikie
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hmmmmm, didn't realize this thread had two pages so only replied to Jam's post at the end of page 1. I've not been the sharpest knife in the drawer lately.

Dar, hope you are better after moving that table. Ouch!!! Little secret: most of us with curly hair wish for straight hair and, I'm told, vice-versa. Ah, the grass, or hair, is always greener...

Rock, you just explained how I feel; pretty much everything is irritating me. That, along with my headaches, is typical of a head injury. Now, if I can just keep my foot outta my mouth til this passes. Probably not. We have a condo mtg. today and instead of just a group gossip session, it's a bona-fide board meeting of the governing board for the whole hood. So, during the meeting itself, no one else is supposed to talk.

I must be missing something. See no posts from Springwater at all. I have to wonder whether she inadvertently got on my ignore list. I'll go check.

Slept off and on all day yesterday. I have to get into the shower and get ready for the meeting this morning so hope that will spur me on to better things. I have a $10 off $50 spent for groceries at Publix so need to check their ad. Their ad changes on Thurs., and if I still can get deals on $40 worth of groceries, I have another coupon for $5 off. Hate to lose out but my fridge and freezer are full. It would have to be staples. The $5 coupon is good through Sat. By then, I'll need more fruit and veggies.

Our power has been going off in the mornings for just seconds--just enough to screw up our TVs. Then, we have to wait for our hundreds of channels to boot up. This happened before when there was a bad transformer in our area. Comcast is having mega problems here too. Their trucks seem to be here 24/7. We are on a first name basis with the techs because they visit us so regularly. I ask them questions and have learned a lot. Seems as though equipment required to stream a lot of video puts out a lot of radiation, enough to interfere with avionics on planes flying overhead. If they can overcome that obstacle, cable will become obsolete. Here in the hood, we cannot put dishes on our bldgs. so we are stuck with Comcast or Prism, which isn't as good as cable. I'm going to change to another package deal to lower my costs.

Got a lab bill for more than $600. Yikes! Called my new ins. co., BC/BS, and found out they capitize their labs and they just haven't paid them yet. So, I owe nothing but a bill like that can scare a person to death. Lately, if it hasn't been one snafu, it's been another. I think most of us can take big bad news fairly well but it's the day-to-day stupid problems which get us in the end. No wonder I'm irritable :mad:

Thanks for letting me vent-psssssssssst. Ah, that feels better. :)

Love, Mikie
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hmmmmm, no one is being ignored so that isn't the problem.

Rock, did Springwater post about those sweets quite a bit ago? I'm confused but then, that's not unusual for me.

Love, Mikie
  8. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Mikie: Sorry that it seems your head injury is the cause of the fatigue. Since you've gone thru that route before I guess you know what to expect and how long for healing. Hey.......I understand about the "keeping the mouth shut"......when I'm not feeling good and hurt all over it's best for me to just stay away from others.

Rock: We all go thru the crankiness. And I have to tell you, for someone who thinks alzheimers is coming on your brain and recollection is amazing. Perhaps I never put enough in it to bring up all the details you can remember on writers, singers, etc. I applaud you! Keep it up. I was just thinking the other evening that I need to start reading more biographies, other than health/improvement books or novels. I feel like I'm getting stagnant.

Spring: I'm happy to read that the "funeral activities" have now come to an end. You will heal and go on with your life.

1. Barry: I did the taste test yesterday........my husband picked the expensive one! But I still like the sharp Irish cheddar I buy at Trader Joes. I'm just a cheeseaholic! That would be the hardest thing ever for me to give up (hope I never have to though) I can do without wine, without chocolate, without sweets (I need to break this cookie habit I've developed though) but not cheese. I'm back to drinking strong coffee and living it.......decaf is just NOT coffee in my opinion. By the way, I have no idea where that number 1 showed up and why! This board's habits are a mystery.
    Granni: Hope by today you've got heat.......BRRRRRR.

We get the results today on the pathology. I think we're both to the point that whatever will be will be.

Two more days of driving him 30 mi roundtrip for his coumadin shot. I'm come to the conclusion I DON'T like driving around EVERYDAY. Some days because of rush hour traffic it's turned into a 2 hr. trip which I find draining of energy. I've been hitting the bed several times a day for a nap and bed by 8:30. It's dry today and a bit warmer so I'm going outside to do a bit of yard cleanup. I find that being outdoors energizes me.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  9. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

THREAD CLOSED.