The Porchlight is on Vol. 683 NOW CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good morning, Porchies,

Granni, I'm sorry; I thought I had made it plain that it was the battery which had died. It was a battery I bought online. It's in and working like a charm. This Toshiba is a big 17" screen with a Blu Ray player in it so I want to keep it going. It was expensive. I've gotten so much out of it but am not ready to let it go yet. In fact, if I don't sit down and learn Windows 8 for my Surface2, I may just keep on using this one. Granni, I also belong to the bad back club and hope yours is doing better.

Rock, CA is always so forward looking. Don't people there use the reusable cloth bags? I have a bunch of them and there are always plenty in my car. They cost 99 cents but I have a bunch of ones I got for free when I donated food to the local pantry. Publix has such pretty ones that people buy them just for the looks. Some decorate them and use them for beach bags. If you buy four bottles of wine, you get a little cloth wine bag for free which holds the four bottles. I use one for a cleaning supplies caddy and one for my tools and gardening tools. The tool caddy holds enough different types of things that I can do most small jobs without having to get into the big bad-boy tool box.

I've seen ski dancing/acrobatics and it's beautiful and graceful. You can buy very short skis which turn about like ice skates. My skis are outdated as now, everyone is using the very short parabolic ones which used to be for beginners only. I guess as we old near Baby Boomers age, we don't have the muscles to turn skis like we used to. I'm two years too old to officially be a Baby Boomer and my kids are two years too young. I say we're all part of the huge bulge in the population with which the world has had to deal. I've been skiing all my life til I moved here and probably wouldn't have a problem turning them. Still, if one can glide almost effortless, why not! When I do my aerobics in the pool, to prevent boredom, I do all kinds of different stuff. One of them is hopping side to side as though I'm skiing moguls. In reality, I've always hated moguls but the same movement can be used straight downhill.

Sunflower Girl, I am so sorry you are in so much pain. I pray it lets up. In one way, I am glad to see the plastic bags go away but I recycle mine at Publix. They also recycle foam containers. When I worked at the store, we had so many older people who wanted us to put paper bags inside the plastic bags. I use the paper bags to hold my paper recyclables but I make them last a long time except when I recycle shredded paper. I put it in a paper bag and staple the ends shut. I recycle, or repurpose, everything I can. I did use the plastic bags to hold kitty litter clumps when the cats lived here.

Speaking of cats, Simon wasn't here again this morning. This makes four days in a row. I fear he may have met his demise. If so, I'm going to really miss seeing his cute little face each morning. I left the food out just in case he shows up. When it's light out, I'll check it and bring the bowls in. Barb has a friend who spent the night and I'm glad. She could help her if needed. The surgery went well and they got all the cancer. I was exhausted yesterday waiting to go get her. She was supposed to be there three hours and was there six. Oy! This friend, who is staying, has had to have a number of basel cell cancers removed. They have to dig deep to get it all.

Yes, Rock, FL is a strange place to live. There are young people here, many of them attending the colleges and universities. This time of year, though, with all the Snowbirds, it looks like a sea of white and gray heads, kinda like seabirds at the beach. Politics here is a mess. Jeb Bush was the closest person we have had for governor who seemed normal. He wasn't great but he wasn't that bad either. The present one looks like Voldemort in the "Harry Potter" books. Before becoming our "esteemed" governor, he took the Fifth more than 70 times to avoid prosecution for Medicare fraud in the medical facilities he owned. He basically bought the election, spending $70 million of his own money. Now, we have Charlie Crist running against him as a Democrat. Should be an interesting campaign season. Most are not happy with the one in office now but some wouldn't vote for a guy who changed parties. No wonder we are the butt of political, and other, jokes. No matter who is in office, it seems that it's always business as usual down here, even at the local and county level. At least, we are diversifying out from tourism and development to provide jobs. Maybe there is hope for us yet.

Today, is my pool workout day. I need to hire someone who will hold a gun to my head to make me do it. One would think I'd get some color on my pasty Irish/German skin--NOT! Guess I'll have to get out the tan in a bottle. I woke in the middle of the night with an upset stomach and it continues this morning. Maybe I can milk it in my mind to avoid going to the pool today. Since I go three times a week, and there are seven days in a week, I always have a "fudge" day.

Well, kiddies, I hope y'all have a great day.

Love, Mikie
  2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Good morning, almost afternoon to all,

Well, my daughter just e-mailed that they just started to see some snow flurries. They are bracing for a possibility of 8-12 inches of snow. They can get snow up there but don't normally get a lot when they do. Hope they don't get the awful ice storm with it. All I can say is hope all stay warm and safe and glad that weather is not here.

Mikie - Did you make the water aerobics today? I know what you mean about just getting there or to any kind of exercising is half the battle but I am so lazy about that stuff but go when DH wants to. Not looking forwards to next week or the next 2 weeks as I have so much happening. Our small group has 6 or more performances coming up. In between is my mammogram and dexa bone scan and my perio cleaning for my teeth and gums. I am worn out thinking about it plus having one car is sometimes not easy to juggle when DH needs to go someplace too.

Sorry to hear that Simon hasn't been by. I hope he is OK, maybe hiding out or something but OK. I know you love and will miss him if he is gone.

Sun - I am so sorry you are having so much pain. I know the feeling, very frustrating when not a whole lot can be done sometimes. Hope the doc can take care of your problems soon. Hope also your DH is feeling better and gaining some strength and has gotten a bit of positive attitude. I know that is not easy esp when you are the one to have to pick him up and give him pats n the back, etc. Prayers for you both,

Julie - Missing you but I know you are busy with the kids and going to Keiras but forget when it was. You wear me our just thinking about what all you do.

Jam - you must have been posting at the same time I was. Will check out the GLGG again soon.

I finally got my beef in the crockpot, not to cook but to marinate for 3-4 days. I didn't do this last year for DH birthday but I figured that you had better do it this year. He loves his Sauerbraten and so do I but you have to fuss with it a bit and plan a day when you have little to do to cook it afterwards. His birthday is the beginning of the month so it better get done this month :)!! I gave up on the home made potatoes balls (dumpling) esp when a person from Germany told me that she just buys the mix - either Panni or Knorr but all stores do not carry it. The marinade is also used for the gravy and add crushed gingersnaps and a bit of sugar. The gravy is sooo good.

Spring Water - Hope you are OK as I haven't seen or heard from you in awhile. Please drop in when you can.

Hugz to all inc. Rock, Dar, Freida, Joan, Jam , Diane and so many others !! Thinking of so many of you !

The past day or so my nose has been dripping which it doesn't usually do and have a bit of a cough. Hoping this won't turn into anything as I will be singing next week. Sort of a scratchy throat too. Will start taking ( If I remember) more GSE this afternoon. I already take it 2x a day.

Love,
    Granni :)