The Porchlight is On Vol. 850

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Nov 14, 2015.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

Rosin on the bow and Go Man Go!

Full moon in the sky tonight.
    Grab your gal and promenade right.

Now all jump up and don't come down.
    Swing your partner round and round.

All the ladies form a star.
    Gents stay put right where you are.

Ladies cross and then go back.
    Slap your partner on the back.

Allemande left with the old left hand.
    Blow a kiss. Say, ain't love grand!

Pick her up and set her down.
    Get gussied up and go ta town.

Now all face North and look for Nome.
    Just circle once and then go home.

Virgil Peterson on the fiddle. Sally Bester on the piano.
    Hoot Gunderson on the squeeze box. Refreshments courtesy
    of Janet Johnson, Mable Knudson and Ted's Lunch Box cafe.

lydia1 likes this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Morning, Porchies,

Rock, thanks so much for starting a new Porch. I really don't mind doing it, despite my whining, but it's so nice to come here to see you've done it for us. Always love your square dance calling. If we jump up and don't come down, does that make us high? That might make some refreshments courtesy of Mary Jane's Awesome Weed Emporium.

Every morning, while I'm sitting in the lovely morning air with the sliders open, I try to live in the beautiful moment. I thank God for all my blessings and recognize that, right this minute, I need nothing more. In this moment, I'm the richest person in the world because I have everything I want and need. The kitties pranced and danced, had a smackdown and are now lolling about. Their little bottle brush arch is the Arc de Triumphe (probably misspelled that) in their little world. The victor will position him- or herself under it after the smackdown. They didn't even use the lanai last night. They are much, much better during the night. I got ten hours of sleep. I do have a couple of interruptions but they let me sleep. Prayers answered.

I saw a peace sign with the usual circle but in the center, the peace sign was the Eiffel Tower. I might paint one on one of my tee shirts. It needn't be perfect because a lot of the traditional peace signs were graffiti. Speaking of which, I was stunned at how much graffiti was on the beautiful old bldgs. and fountains in Paris. There ought to be stiff fines for those who deface property. Just more evidence that our world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Not much else to complain about so will get going. Hope all y'all have a great day.

Love, Mikie
    lydia1 likes this.
  3. rockgor

Hi Kids

Wow! Ten hours of sleep, Mikie. I haven't had a full night's sleep for decades.
    Glad to hear you're feeling rich and rested. I've felt rich in the last decade
    or two myself. That's because, like Donald Trump, I can afford anything I
    want. The difference, of course, is that I don't want mansions, exotic cars,
    or ocean cruises. My social security check is more than enough.

I hope your new sofa is comfortable. I think upholstered furniture and
    modern mattresses are wonders of the modern world. A couple decades
    ago I locked myself outta the house. Figured Gordon would be back in
    half an hour. Lay down on the concrete slab to rest. It was so hard
    and uncomfortable I thought of the poor folks who are homeless. Then
    I lay down on the grass. That was pretty uncomfortable too.

Nice to hear the kitties are behaving. Our ornery critter was waiting
    for me around one AM. She was sitting in one of Gordon's cardboard
    boxes. It had old weeds or garden mulch or something at the bottom.
    Still some room for a medium sized cat though.

Granni, how nice that you got a free turkey. We used to get one every
    year. All for me. Gordon hates turkey. The stores always had great
    bargains to entice you. Buy $50 worth and get a free turkey, etc. But
    then, maybe 15 years ago, I had to give up turkey. It gave me hiccups.
    And then the hiccups got really bad and made me cough and choke and
    throw up. So, no more turkey. Well, as it says in Ecclesiastes, a
    time and a purpose.

Gordon and I are reading the Ladies of Covington series. Ten novels about
    3 older gals who live in a village. The author wrote her first novel at
    the age of 64. There are about ten in the series. Gordon sent her a fan
    e mail which bounced back. So he corrected a typo and sent it again.
    Got a reply yesterday. I wrote her a note myself last night. The
    author is Joan Medlicott.

Hugs Barry and Julie and Diane and and Spring and Sun
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    lydia1 likes this.
  4. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Hi my friends,

It's been a difficult weekend! :(

Strike One -- As some of you may know, I'm also on Facebook these days. I connected with an old friend of mine from the 1980's. So cool. So I was writing to her yesterday, on a private message. I clicked the wrong button and deleted our entire two-week conversation! Poof. No, I can't get the messages back, per Facebook. Sigh.

Strike Two -- I'm getting Kevin's virus. My throat hurts like ******. Boo hoo.

Strike Three -- I BROKE MY TOOTH YESTERDAY. How, I don't know. It had to have been a piece of leftover gluten-free pizza (Kevin baked it too long, and the crust was very CRUNCHY)! The filling is holding in place in the tooth, but the tooth seems to be disintegrating. Kevin has a call in to his dentist for an appt for me.

Anybody got any Kleenex for me?? This is not what I need to deal with right now.

Just feeling down, right now. Anybody want to post a joke or two on this thread?????? :) Or on the other "joke" threads??? :)

I know the FB thing is not a "tragedy", it's disappointing to me that I CANNOT navigate that site, the way I want to.

Coconut oil capsules and oil of oregano may help my tooth. Fingers crossed.

As far as NUMBER 3, I just want to get that darned tooth pulled. It's bottom right, next to the last molar. I don't want anesthesia, crowns, more appts. I want an easy fix. I don't know what the dentist will say. Kevin's going to get me some anbesol (anesthetic) today, just in case the filling comes out and I get pain. If I have pain, I guess it will be an "emergency appt."

Please keep your fingers crossed for me!

Luv y'all, Diane

PS--GRANNI, I have both the oil of oregano capsules and the oil of oregano drops. I see no difference in how they work, except the drops taste a bit acidic?! If I take 2 caps with 8 oz of water, I can't taste the oreg at all. And they both work the same for me. Just MY opinion.
  5. bct

bct Active Member

Dear All...
    Diane, sorry for your problems. I say get the tooth pulled! I had to get two of mine extracted -- I really couldn't pay for any more crowns. Now, thanks to Obamacare, my dental costs are mostly covered -- except for porcelain crowns (metal ones free, though not as good. Ibuprofen is the best pain -killer for the teeth. Also clove oil. As for FB, I don't do it, but Richard does and is always cussing :rolleyes:. All of my fingers are crossed for you! ;)

Rock, I just got the first of the Ladies of Covington series and will probably start it today. You recomended it a couple of weeks ago. Is this a second reading for you? I sure hope I like it --the series--although I wish it were in England Lol! :D

Mikie, I'm glad you had a good time with Barb. I hope she stays nice.:rolleyes:. Yes, I am appalled by the happening in Paris. I hate extremism of any kind. Religions-- ALL of them, have a lot to answer for. Sorry, don't let me get started! I got my University BA in Comparative Religions, started my Master's at the Calif. Institute for Asian studies in SF, dropped out and moved to the peace of the country where my religion is nature.

Okay, i just finished washing the dishes and making the bed. Went outside during a break in the rain and picked a few persimmons. One was bletted so I et it. Delicious! They are really good not bletted too --- crisp and sweet. Bletted, they are soft, sticky and sweet like jam.

The mountain ash -- aka Rowan tree -- in the back yard has turned a beautiful pinkish orange. I grew this tree from seed collected from a botanic garden forty years ago. So many of my plants have memories for me.....

Gotta go,
    Best Wishes to All,

Over for now,
    Love to All,
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Just popping in. Glad I got on the computer because Target is having a one-day-only online sale of their area rugs. I found a beautiful one for the living room for only $40 instead of $70. Shipping is free and, because I used my Target card, I got another 5 percent off. I think this new rug will go better with the valance and drapes. Hope so. Just watched Miami win against the Eagles by the skin of their teeth. Both teams had some bad mistakes but Miami managed to squeak out a win. Didn't get a darned thing done today but DD#2 called. She and her DH are stretched so thin with her school and job and his two jobs that I worry for their health and sanity. Still, they are doing what they enjoy so it could be worse. They don't need his two jobs but he is trying to change careers to real estate. I think he'll be able to quit the first job soon as he is doing great in RE. DD wants to become a nurse practitioner with a B.S. in nursing so she wants to complete the schooling.

Oh, BTW, my blood sugar was 99 three hrs. after breakfast. Fasting was 122 this morning and I don't know why. It could have been a misread. Those monitors sometimes go wacko. I'm just glad for the 99, or anything below 100.

Rock, I should check out the books. Seems to me that, now that Amazon is offering their "Unlimited" plan at $9.99 a month, their regular Kindle books are expensive. My SS check isn't enough but I do have my IRA annuity for another five years. After that, the income will drop but I'll have paid off my condo. My needs are small too so it doesn't take a lot to keep me in the manner to which I've become accustomed. Having replaced the sofa and mattress means I'll likely not need another big purchase until the fridge gives out. The only decorating I still have to do is to finish the valance. Don't know how long I'll be up to doing any decorating but I like to keep the place looking up to date. So far, so good. Yes, I think of the homeless too and how hard it must be, literally and figuratively, meaning difficult. DD#2 has worked with the homeless and knows a lot about their challenges. Guess your little homeless kitty was glad for the plant material in an otherwise hard box. Cats are amazing survivors. No matter how difficult their circumstances, they usually carry themselves with dignity. I call it "Catitude."

Oh, Diane, I'm so sorry for all your problems. I hope the tooth isn't painful until you can get to the dentist. My front tooth, next to the canine tooth, broke off but the part which was bonded held together. The dentist just laughed and bonded the missing part. It looks fine. A molar, on the other hand, is a bigger problem. Bad stuff usually happens in threes so let's hope this nasty business is over. I also hope you don't get Kevin's crud. Take it as a sign you need to rest. That's what I've done today. I hate to just lie around, especially after ten hours of sleep, but I listen to my bod. Sending up a little prayer.

Barry, we had a mountain ash when I lived in CO. Just can't remember it that well. Wow! You've had a great education. I was always interested in the arts and humanities but finished my degree in business in mid-life due to impending divorce and the need to support myself. Religion and spirituality are very interesting to me but, like you, I detest radicalism. I wonder what God thinks of all the wars started in His name. Nature is God's creations and I am always awed by it. A photographer from National Geographic is trying to take pix of as many species as he can before some of them go extinct. Some already have since he started his project. The pix are on display in Washington D.C. He gets up close and personal to the animals and insects and they are all so beautiful. He says they speak to us with their eyes. I think he's right. What a paradise this world would be if the money spent on war were spent on preserving the abundance we destroy. OK, I'm off my soapbox now. Enjoy your persimmons.

Gonna go. CBS is likely showing the Patriots and not the Broncos but I'll get the recap. Hope all y'all are enjoying your Sunday and, if not, I hope things improve for you.

Love, Mikie
  7. rockgor

Hi Kids

Diane said she felt like she needed a vacation. GB on the Homebound Board
    started a thread with our version of a vacation. (Take a look.) Here
    is my itinerary.

Cruising down the highway to some fun place.
    Our version: moving the car from the driveway to the garage.

Catching up on your reading with a stack of good books.
    Our version: reading the warnings that come with our meds.

Taking a hike.
    O.V. visiting the back yard.

Going hunting.
    O.V. Searching for glasses, keys, phone, wallet, checkbook, etc.

O.V. Retrieving stuff from sofa cushions, the space between the bed
    and the wall, the odds and ends drawer, etc.

Visiting an art gallery.
    O.V. Thumbing through old National Geographics or Life Magazines.

Trip with the grand kids to a water park.
    O.V. Asking them to water the plants on the patio.

Visiting an open air market.
    O.V. Watching the neighbor's garage sale through the window.

Finally coming home and collapsing.
    O.V. Staying home and collapsing.

Bon voyage and Welcome Home.
    springwater and Willow77 like this.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

OMG, Rock, this is hysterical. Here is my contribution:

Going to an amusement park and riding the scary rides.
    O.V. Riding the ups and downs of the roller coaster which is our illnesses.

Taking a car trip.
    O.V. Trying to get to the store without getting lost.

Taking a cruise on the water.
    O.V. Taking an Epsom Salt soak in the tub.

Taking a bike ride.
    O.V. Watching the Tour de France on TV.

Taking a golfing vacation.
    O.V. Watching golf tournments on TV.

Taking a trip to Europe
    O.V. Watching Rick Steeve's European travel shows on TV.

Taking a trip to the shore.
    O.V. Getting into a therapeutic pool.

O.V. Getting out of bed to walk to the bathroom.

Reading a good book.
    O.V. Reading my blood glucose monitor.

Traveling to be on "Jeopardy."
    O.V. Coming up with games which exercise our minds.

OK, mine aren't as good, or as funny, as yours. I'll bet our Porchies could come up with some of their own.

Got a lot of sleep again but it's interrupted so the quality ain't great. Still, I'll take what I can get. I have fallen behind on tasks while I've been lolling around so have a lot to do. I have to pick up a friend at the airport tomorrow night. I'll set the alarm so I don't miss her. I usually fall asleep early in the evening and she gets in around 11:00. Next mo., I'll be taking, and picking up, my dear old friend when he goes home to Chi. for Christmas. Glad I'm not in that mess we call, holiday travel.

Hope our Porchies all have a good day. I'll be off to the pool. I have plateaued at a 24-pound loss. I need to start losing again. Perhaps my bod is just catching up with the changes. As it is, things are hanging and need to tighten up. Things have tightened up some so I am hoping it will continue. Bealls is having a big sale so may look at a couple of pairs of smaller Capri pants.

Love, Mikie
    rockgor likes this.
  9. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Hi, my friends,

Thank you for your good wishes!

I have a dental appt on Wednesday, 11:30 a.m. It's a local dentist, about 10 minutes away from our house. Very good reputation. And they do sedation, which I need! I'll either get the "laughing gas" whatever it's called, or possibly a liquid valium mix -- Either way it will be a conscious sedation.

As opposed to the last time when I had to have a doc called in to administer the IV and monitor me, etc. That place did OK work, but they were not good with follow up. I want to see what this highly recommended local dentist office can do, with ONE TOOTH PROBLEM. Sometimes, the smaller the office the better.

I had even asked the other office earlier this year about this "troublesome" tooth, and they said that they found nothing troublesome about it. (Even my tongue could feel how thin the enamel was at the top of the tooth. I knew it would break, at some point in time.)

Well, Wednesday it is, for my appt. I don't ever remember having laughing gas. This should be interesting!

Thank you everyone, for your kind thoughts and prayers. I'll let you know how it goes!

I wrote more on the Homebound board, if you read there. Y'all should read GB's latest thread. It made me smile. :cool:

Love to y'all, DIANE

PS: Barry -- You made me LOL about FB. I find myself "cussing" about it too! LOL
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  10. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

A quick hi to everydobby this almost afternoon,

I went with DH EARLY this a.m. to the dermatologist . Had to rise very early for his 8:30 appointment, and so am quite tired now. Tonight I am missing church choir special practice for our choral society practice for our Christmas practice. Our small group is supposed to go out of our area to perform, then go for lunch and then come back to practice. However, they are talking about possible bad storms with tornados. DH is already worried about it . I hope they will decide to cancel if it gets bad cause DH said I am not going if it turns out bad. That will not look good for me if I don't show but I understand his concern. However, not everyone worries like he does.

DIANE - Good luck to you on Wed. on your tooth.

Gottta run and hope to get back later. DH needs the puter.

Love, Granni

Love to all,
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Went to the pool and worked out. I came home for a bacon and eggs lunch. Don't know why I'm extra tired but it could be that I'm not getting enough calories. Weight is no longer dropping but I think it will start again. I managed to fix the print cartridges in my lousy printer so I could print out our assn. budget for 2016. Floor ins. is $1,000 more this year due to all the flooding in the mid-west and the fraud in NJ from Hurricane Sandy. Still, we don't have to increase our dues because we are doing well. I'm glad because I'm about to spend $1,000 on landscaping and, if we had to raise the fees, I don't think people would like it.

There was a young family at the pool trying to wear out their three very small children for the plane ride north. The kids were screaming beyond what is normal pool play. I gave them the stink eye and the mom finally told them to stop screaming. There is normal pool play screaming and screaming like a banshee. This was the latter. Pity the people on the plane with them. Yikes!!! I think the father was a P/A and enjoying using his children to annoy others. If we could cure the P/A's, the world would be a better place. Tweety is a P/A cat and is still driving me nuts. I've switched to ignoring her when she's awful and giving her extra love when she isn't.

I know I have so much to do in here and just don't want to do it. I need to go to Wally World and there is a brand new one not far from me. I think I'll wait to go though. Just too tired to do it. Whine, whine, whine!

Diane, soooo glad you found a good dentist. Mine isn't good but he's free and all he, and his staff, do is my cleanings and x-rays. If I have anything else, I'll go back to my old dentist who is excellent. I've never had laughing gas but I have had IV valium and I highly recommend it. It does about the same for me as my beloved Special K. Good thing I don't lean toward drug addiction because I truly love some of them but can do without them. Good luck and keep us updated.

Granni, I wouldn't be out on the road if there were any tornado alerts either. Hurricanes aren't one tenth as destructive as tornados. Yikes!!! Forget following the yellow brick road. Safety is number one priority.

OK, Kids, gotta decide which job to tackle. Guess I'll put away some paper products. Like a store, and because I buy in bulk, I have to rotate the merchandise to keep it fresh. Don't know about paper towels and toilet tissue but facial tissue does lost its softness if not used by a certain time. Hope all y'all have a good day.

Love, Mikie
  12. Granniluvsu

MIKIE - One thing about tomorrow is I am not driving but I know our fearless leader drives in everything and she drives all over the place. I will be surprised if she cancels but DH keeps coming in to tell me how bad they are saying it might be tomorrow.. It looks like almost everyone is supposed to be there tomorrow and I hate to be the only one not there due to the weather. As you probably know just one or two off can throw off the sound when a few are missing. We are not a BIG group.

I don't know about kids today and parents. They let them get away with so many things nowadays, not like when I was growing up and when my kids were growing up. Like you say, there is normal play and screaming and then there is the kind that takes the hair off your head, like your kids that you had to put up with. I hope they are made to behave on the plane. Yes, I would hate to be on the plane with them too.

DIANE - Glad you found a good dentist. Hope it all stays well for you especially since it is close by. I very rarely have had to have anesthesia other than some local for dental work. I guess I have a pretty good pain threshold and I rarely had any locals for regular fillings and dental work. I figure now the least the better for me with my hi b/p. When they give me locals it is the short acting ones, not as strong.

Gotta run to start dinner so I can go to chorale practice tonight. I will be glad when this week is over, so much happening. The concert s the end of the week, or should I say Friday ??

Love to everydobby,
    Granni :)
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Had to get online so thought I'd pop in. Had a glass of wine with Barb and we enjoyed ourselves. I took copies of our budget to her and two others in our bldg. There will be no increase in fees so that makes it easier. I also appointed two women in the bldg. to serve on our little board. They won't have to do anything but we really need to have more than just me on the board. We are very lucky to be in such good financial shape.

People in here are starting to see how inexperienced, and just plain dumb, some of the big board members are and I am really glad to be off that board. I hear talk of a recall and everyone is upset with them. Things are getting bad in the hood. I've never seen people so upset here.

My sofa is supposed to be delivered between 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Wed. I've never had anything delivered close to the earlier time. It's always at the last minute.

Granni, I pray you are all safe out in the weather. Wish I could hear y'all sing. Glad you can't hear me sing. :) I sound like the kitties when they caterwaul. Yikes!!! :confused:

Hope everydobby has a good evening.

Love, Mikie
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Morning, Porchies,

I'm hoping our MIA's will be able to come back to the Porch. I miss all y'all. I know some of us are really busy and/or dealing with stressful situations so everydobby is in my prayers, as always. Another night of ten hours of sleep but, no matter how much sleep I get, it doesn't seem to translate into more NRG. Whine, whine, whine!

Tonight I have to pick up a friend at the airport about 11:00 p.m. so will set my alarm to make sure I don't snooze thought it, leaving her looking for me at the airport. I'll park in the cell phone lot and she will call me when she has picked up her bag. That way, I don't risk being yelled at by the airport cop on a Segue.

Think I'll make a run to the new Wal*Mart today. Barb said it is HUGE. I want to get that almond flour and try a recipe using it. I also need to pick up a big bag of Craisins for my breakfast cereal.

Just a couple of trip comparisons:

Archeological vacation to an ancient dig site.
    O.V. Cleaning the kitty litter box, sifting through the sand for a different type of find.

Safari to see exotic animal life.
    O.V. Watching our pets from the safety of our sofas.

Motorcycle road trip.
    O.V. Riding the electric scooter through Wal*Mart.

Fine dining.
    O.V. Drinking our liquid meals.

Not much to tell so will stop in later to see if our Porchies return to the fold.

Love, Mikie
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  15. rockgor

Hi Kids

We had a horticultural hurricane yesterday. Well, it might as well have
    been a hurricane even though the weather people said the wind was only
    18 mph with gusts up to 27. The wind blew over several potted plants,
    especially the tall epidendrums. Gordon's vanda with the many purple
    blooms was blown over and badly damaged.

The real damage, however, was to the shaded area in the back. It has
    a framework of metal pipes. It's 10 feet tall. Large enough that you
    could park 2-3 cars in it. It is covered with shade cloth. But the shade
    cloth we put on it 5 years ago was heavier than the old stuff that was
    worn away. So when the wind gets going it blows the thing around
    like a parasol.

The metal framework needs to be replaced. Gordon is going to make
    it smaller. Maybe he'll used a lighter shade cloth that will let the
    wind blow through it.

We went to the library yesterday. Took back 8 books and picked up
    8 books. Funny. It hardly ever comes out even. Also recycled a
    bag full of paperbacks. Most of which I bought at the library book
    sale for a dime or a quarter.

It was cold last night. Around 50. I turned on the electric heater for
    a while and added a windbreaker to the 3 layers I already had on.

Oops! The computer is acting up again. Better go. That's the
    second time today I've had to shut this thing down. Uff-da!

Hugs y'all

16. Granniluvsu

Good morning everyone. So nice to see JULIE here for a change. I know she is SOOOO busy and has so much stress going on now. Sure hope that the weather holds out for them so that they can get the rest of the roof up. That weather out in Iowa sure sounds very COLD to me and it is not even real winter yet. I cannot take it below 50 degrees, yes I am real wimp :)!!! When it hits below 30's I am really a goner. Happy Birthday too to Gpa Denzyl. Wow, that is wonderful !!! Glad he will get to do some special things for his big day/week, etc.

MIKIE - Getting ready for another round of bad weather and we are supposed to go sing at one of the nicer Assisted Living centers in our area. They usually have a big group waiting for us and love when we come. The first round or rain came and that wasn't much for us but another is coming when we will be on the road most likely. I wish our leader would cancel but not sure she will unless things look really awful when we all meet at the parking lot. Right now it is probably raining lightly.

Glad you were able to have a nice civil conversation with Barb. It is a shame when she becomes that awful other person ):!! What did you want to use that Almond flour for, baking or what?? I have gotten so lazy when it comes to baking or cooking other than the usual boring stuff that I can eat. I have some recipes but none of them seem simple enough to me or have not to many ingredients in them. Sorry also that so many on your condo board seems to be incompetent or don't care, not sure which. That makes it bad for your hood but glad you got out of the stress even though it made it worse for your living space.

ROCK - You must read all the time. DH could do that in between his other outside duties, and shopping. He is a fast reader and loves those big fat books mostly biographies or histories. I can't read big fat books. I would be reading one forever. I can't concentrate that long unless the book is a quick read. That is good you can recycle some books and get rid of them soothers can read. They also take up so much space. We got rid of some hard covered ones too to our library some time ago too.

SUN - Hope you are doing well and your insurance problems solved or at least so you don't stay up night worrying about them.

SW - Thinking of you too sweetie. Hope things are going better for you especially with your shortages and all. Come back when you can chat a bit. Miss you, DIANE too and other MIA's who haven't been able to visit more lately.

Love to all,
    Granni :)
  17. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Rock: I'm sorry to read about your orchid area. I've been out cleaning up the mess this morning. I heard that a lot of places really got it bad. I even saw houses that had collapsed. Seems we went from a fierce summer straight to winter without a nice fall. Our street tree is the ginko and thankfully mine is looking beautiful and golden. Quite a lot of them look almost dead from lack of deep watering though.

Mikie: I'm're still on a board just not a big one? Is that why Barb always talks to you about "that tree"?

My insurance troubles are NOT over. I talked to the medicare office 3 times last week and I think I understand the problems though it's not helping me. Seems I fell thru the crack after my DH died. Since he was working when he died (and he had got insurance thru his work rather than registering for medicare) his company gave me a good cobra for 3 years.......however they and United Health, and the SS office all failed to tell me I had to be under medicare Part B and 8 months to file. Now I have to wait to file until Jan and coverage won't start until July. I called the lab today re: the $3,500 plus bill there. The lady was very nice and told me I could wait 7 billing statements until I would get bad credit. I had called to tell her I could make payments but she said to just wait. I've also got probably around $500 plus at the doctors' offices but she also told me that when I get bills from them to contact the billing office re: payments, etc.

I'm just going thru sooooo much stress right now......but then this too shall pass (or perhaps I will!) LOL
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Just got back from shopping at Wally World and having lunch at a little Italian place with Barb. The new WW is big but missing two things I buy in the grocery dept. I found two little swimsuit coverups which could also serve as casual dresses. One is white with black fish and the other is black with white fish. They are so wonderful to wear around the condo and very cool too. I won't wear them as coverups but will wear them around the condo. I have a long version which is white with blue and red fish on it.

Just ordered the "America's Test Kitchen" Cookbook for their 14th season on TV. It includes all the recipes for all 14 seasons for only $19.99. That's a great deal. I love watching the show on PBS. Most of their recipes, except the desserts, are healthy and not too difficult. I am finding all kinds of ways to make desserts that are pretty low carb. I'm collecting the recipes for when I hit that target weight.

I still have little to no NRG and it's distressing but nothing to be done about it. I have to force myself to clean the area where the new sofa will go but am not cleaning anything else til the movers are gone. I got some Rug Doctor cleaner so I can shampoo the traffic areas of the carpeting. After that, I'll just keep cleaning a bit at a time.

Sun, we were posting at the same time. I'm so very sorry about the ins. mixup. I love the leaves of the Ginko tree (I know I misspelled that but am in edit mode and can't look at your post). I've seen a few paintings using the leaves. When I lived in CO, we would get winds racing down the leeward side of the Rockies and making a mess. In the winter, the winds could get up to 125 mph. That's faster than a lot of the hurricane winds. Hope you don't overdo it. Each bldg. or townhouse courtyard here is its own assn. with one big assn. over the whole hood. I retired from the big assn. but am still the president of our bldg. That's why I'm the one Barb yells at about the tree. That tree is coming out so she had better stop complaining. She'll likely just find something else to carp about.

Rock, you are a prolific reader. I've been trying to read but fall asleep. The older I get, the more that the fiction seems as though I've already read it. I do enjoy nonfiction if it isn't too detailed and dry. I'd like to read John Meacham's new book on Geo. Bush #41. Too bad #43 didn't realize that father knows best. Gordon's construction sounds as though it could turn into a sailing ship in the wind. We have signs at the pool asking people to close the umbrellas when they leave. It doesn't take a hurricane to lift them right outta their heavy bases. Enjoy your books.

Julie, I had hoped you would get the roof enclosed. Do you have it covered with plastic? It is soooo nice of you to be so good to GPA. I hope he has a nice birthday and your dad, and the others there, are adjusting to the time change. I think as we get older, it gets more difficult to make adjustments. Disney on Ice? What fun! When I was a kid, I always loved the ice shows. We went every fall to the Ice Capades. For weeks, I'd draw the beautiful costumes I saw. I keep you and yours in my prayers as I know how busy and stressed out you are.

Granni, I'm praying for decent weather for you. Barb mentioned the bad weather in TX because she knows my DD#2 lives near Dallas. DD#1 lives in the Denver area and it's getting hit with a big snow storm. I got the almond flour, which is really just almonds ground to the consistency of flour, to use in recipes instead of wheat flour. It's so healthy. I mentioned above that I got that cookbook and a source of healthy recipes for cookies. Be careful, my friend, out in the weather.

Guess I'll get off my duff and dust around where the sofa will go. Then, I'll vacuum the carpet and molding. AACK!!! I don't want to do anything. Hope all y'all have a great day.

Love, Mikie
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  19. bct

bct Active Member

Mikie : no NRG? Ha! You go out nearly every day don't ya? I go out for one day (three hrs.) and am exhausted beyond my belief! I've never heard of Wally's world. Is it a euphemism for Wal-Mart? I f so we have one in up north in Eureka, some 60 odd miles away.

I had my cardio workups and got the results a week later -- last Friday. Everything looked good; I had been worried because of my carotid arterial blockage. Now I am relieved, though my new worry is a pain in my lower abdomen in the a.m. I guess the doc. is going to arrange for a colonoscopy now. I've had two done before and both times were agonizingly painful. But at least now I know I have a strong heart -- I'm a Leo, as were my parents.;)

Rock, tell Gordon I'm so sorry about the Vanda, and any others damaged. I didn't care for Medlicott, so am reading some old British mystery by Edmund Crispin -- very good. I find his books hard to get. He was also a composer under his real name Robert Bruce Montgomery. He wrote the music for a number of the Carry on films, and also church music. Alas, only six or seven novels....

Sun, I am so happy for your ginko. I haven't seen one around here, though they certainly would grow well I should think. Did you know that most ginkos are allergenic, especially the males with their pollen. And the seeds stink too, but are eaten in parts of China, etc. where the smelly husk is taken off. New information for me!

That's All Folks,
    Love, Barry
  20. rockgor

Hi Kids

Well, the new chicken coop aka shade area for the orchids is up. All it took
    was trip to buy pipes and what not and a bit of help from me and a lotta
    help from Gordon's brother. Gordon's brother is big and husky. He is
    useless around the house unless you want something heavy lifted.

A week or two ago the water heater was on the fritz. Gordon asked me to make
    a sign informing his brother that there was no hot water. So I did. In black
    letters an inch high on a white paper. I posted it at eye level. The next morning
    Brother got up early as he always does and went to work. At noon he called
    Gordon and reported there was no hot water.

If there were a dead body on the floor he probably wouldn't notice that either.
    Even if he did he doesn't have the initiative to do anything about it. He does
    nothing to help around this place except to carry heavy items a couple times a
    year. Gordon asked him if he would vacuum once a month. He said he would.
    That was 6 months ago. He did it once. He has a home with a wife in it. Let him
    go back there.

Gordon, however, is very protective of him. Probably a hold over from the
    days when he was the head of the household. Could be worse, of course. I
    could have somebody's sister living with us. AACCK!

Barry, yes Wally's World is a nom de shopping term for Wal*Mart. I
    haven't seen any ginkoes around here although we do occasionally
    come across lizards in the back yard. They are alligator lizards
    according to the sites I visited.

Here's one. It's a ginko according to the caption, but it doesn't look like the
    real thing to me.

Have you tried any of the Irish doctor books? Written by Patrick Taylor who
    really is an Irish doctor.

Mikie, Gordon also watches America's Test Kitchen. I find cooking shows with
    two chefs annoying. They stand and tell each other how to do things in the kitchen.
    Except we all know the other chef already knows. Why don't they talk to the
    audience? The other thing I find strange is that the tall skinny host looks like
    a nerd in his costume that he wears on every show. However, when he sits on
    the porch (Gordon says that's his house) wearing civvies he looks like a
    totally different person. Gordon loves the show and has their cookbooks and
    DVDs, etc. Both the women he has on the show are a foot or two shorter
    than he. Reminds me of Mutt and Jeff.

Sun, sorry you're having so much trouble with the insurance situation. I
    remember when our employer changed our insurance. One of the
    secretaries loved Kaiser. So she stayed with Kaiser paying around $5,000
    out of her pocket for the privilege. Then a year or so later she found out
    she had that option all along and the employer would have paid. Well,
    between our office manager and Kaiser, nobody was willing to spend a
    little time and help her. Pretty much the way it goes these days despite
    positive thinking and rainbow decals.

I sometimes see ginkgo trees in LA. Here's a pic of the non lizard ginkgo leaf.

Granni, are you planning a family gathering for Thanksgiving? Been many
    decades since I was at a big family holiday celebration. In church
    I always played "Come, Ye thankful people come, Raise the song of Harvest
    home." Does the Catholic Hymnal have that one?

Julie, I guess tomorrow is the Disney on Ice show. That's kinda funny since
    there is myth that Walt Disney was frozen. I don't know how that story got
    started. Every site I've every looked at says he's right next door at Forest
    Lawn in Burbank (not far from Disney Studios).

Diane, hope your dental appointment is successful. Have you had laughing
    gas before? Or maybe they use something else now. A dentist told me
    they stopped using novocain decades ago. My brother had laughing
    gas once. Came reeling out of the dentist's office laughing his head
    off. I had it once here in LA. It did not make me laugh, and it
    wasn't very effective as a anesthetic either.

OK, gotta go. Hugs
    Mikie likes this.