The Porchlight Vol 228 IS CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ckball, Apr 27, 2008.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

Hello Awl- Since Mrdad is travling, Linda is still on the mend and Rock has been our rock in keepin us going- I thought I would sneek in to do it for us.

I hope nobody got caught in the door.

I have fresh chocolate chip cookies, haven't made any for awhile and they are sooooo good warm. There is some warm sider and coco too. I 'll be back later-Carla
    [This Message was Edited on 04/27/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/29/2008]
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

Did you miss me? I can't stay long but wanted to get us up for the new week.

Again, I do want to thank all of you for your words of suppport, it does make a difference knowing you guys are out there and care.

Some of you may not know the story of my mom, but breifly she became ill 6 1/2 years ago, I moved from VA to KY to take care of her at home for 3 years, then she had to go to the NH because of her neuropathy in her legs and could no longer walk.

She has sat in a bed 24/7 for the last 3 1/2 years, while they did take good care of her, it was a good place, she still didn't want to do anything but watch tv, she really was fine with it.

I am going to miss her but she is in a better place, spending that last week with her and being there when she went has somehow given me a peace I haven't had for sometime.

Do not worry about me, I have my moments and sure will have more in the time to come. All of those things that were going wrong in my life the last few months made me realize I was stonger than I thought I was.

So I am doing ok, I am putting one foot in front of the other and it feels good. The weather has been nice and cooler so I have been doing yard stuff, then cart rides and rest in the evening.

My tub is calling as I was too tired last night and fell asleep on the couch before 8pm. That is a positive thing for us single people, no one to smell you but the dogs, :)

So lets just enjoy our day, the cookies and the company, don't forget to smell the roses too- Carla

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Thanks for conducting the opening ceremonies. I 'spect some racer will deliver the torch shortly.

Can't beat chocolate chip cookies. You know how actors sometimes say lines in unison; how often does that happen in real life?

I encountered this phenomenon only once. A wife brought a plate of bars into the living room and said, "Try these. They're pecan-almond-lemon bars. The two husbands said simultaneously:

Why didn't you make chocolate chips?

This teaches us a valuable lesson about relations between the sexes.

4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

to say hi to Linda. Glad you were feeling well enough to come visit us again !!

Oh Linda, I think I know that answer to the question you asked Rock about the Pick a nic basket.. If Rock does not answer I will try mine, K? Hope I do not forget it !!

Glad you got to take a nice ride outside today. It was trying to decide whether to rain on us today or not. So, we went out for a bit and did some painting on the porch. It did start to sprinkle and we went in and of course then it did stop (-: That is OK, I did about as much as I was going to today anyway.

Elaine - sometimes I do talk to my mom, silently though, in my head. Do you say some of your prayers in your head, I do?? Good luck tomorrow. Do you have your lasering session tomorrow. I know you go 2x this coming week. Good luck my dear !!

Carla - thanks for choc choip cookies and for getting us started again.. Watch out for my DH. He is a cc aholic and will steal them all if you ar enot careful.

I will be goig tomorrow morning to the dentist for a cleaning and if the gums in the back (gums) don't look good I may have to have a scaling. I hope not. I have done that before though.

Well, Hope to see you tomorrow later on.

Blessings and hugs,

5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

when you're all sleeping - should be anyway though I know how difficult that can be for many of us.

Woke up to a dreadful day - bleak, dark and pouring rain - did I tell you we had 3 whole dry days with sunshine last week, all in a row? Lucky people.

Anyway I have the choc chip cookies to enjoy, thanks Carla.

Glad to see you back Carla and Linda too.

I talk to my Mum in my head too, ask her to keep any eye on things especially my kids.

Gran thanks for explaining the broccoli slaw - we don't have that here.

Just been on phone to the energy company for my son - it only took 6 tries and 50 minutes to get a result. I spoil him, do all the organising on his behalf - he couldn't have taken 50 minutes at work to do that himself anyway.

Love to everybody, hope you all wake up refreshed this morning. Now that is asking the impossible.

love Rosie

6. rockgor

Good morning, friends. It's early in the morning and the start of a new week. Unless you think the week starts on some other day, of course.

Time is, after all, man made, and does not exist in nature. I was reading one of Gordon's books on China. (Gordon is Chinese.) During the Tang dynasty (7th thru 9th centuries) the week had ten days. Workers only got one day off.

Also read China's only female emperor ruled during the Tang. She started out as a concubine and worked her way up. She must have been more determined and ruthless than Bette Davis and Joan Crawford combined.

Hey, that would be a good title for her biography: The Combined Concubine.

When did you live in Hollywood, Elaine? We were practically neighbors. I live just off Sunset Blvd. between Hollywood and downtown.

Annie, that was a wonderful poem you posted. Carla, have you read "The Book-On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are" by Alan Watts? Actually you don't have to read the whole book. There is a section on immortality very early in the book that you might find comforting.
    I did, anyway.

Linda, are you still in the repair shop? Pain gone? Is there any prediction on recovery period?

MrDad, hope you are having a good trip to Portland. Are you driving an old car? Is it up to the trip?

Julie, thanks for the report from Belize. Might make a good topic for light verse. Rhymes w/ so many words: cheese, sneeze, please, breeze, et. al.

Rosie, what does the ring look like? I have a vague memory of dancing to Elvis singing something like, "Woncha wear my ring around your neck." That was half a century ago.

Well, will do my usual and post this and come back later.

7. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Hello Everyone,
    I'm still here ----- I'm just hiding here in the bushes. For some reason I just cannot kick this awful flare. It doesn't help that our basement keeps flooding and I keep pushing myself over my limits. I guess you get over 100 inches of snow and the water has to go someplace when it rains, huh? I'm very thankful that our sump pump is still working ---- I would really be up a creek if that failed!

Carla: Your cookies are the best, yum -- thank you! You have been in my thoughts and prayers, dear. I know how you felt about those darn ditches.....I feel this way about my basement.

S-Elaine: I will be praying for another "simple" lasering session for you today. I hope it goes as smoothly as the last. I need to put some things on Ebay as well before the postal rates change. Thank God none of my fabric was harmed in the great flood! LOL. Also, I'm going to ask my dr. also about Provigil for fatigue. Did it have any weird side-effects for you?

Lincamp: Linda ---- Hello! I'm so happy you are feeling a bit better! I was also glad to hear that the surgery wasn't as painful as you thought either. I don't think surgery will be in the cards for me for a while yet. I'm still a little gun-shy after that last botched "procedure". For your surgery did they use cadever bone or actually fuse the discs together? I love the picture of your tulips....I just adore tulips. Nothing like a little nice weather to perk up the old spirits, huh?

Granni: Reading your posts always make me smile. I sure wish I lived nearby ya, I LOVE to paint. That is one of the hardest things with this dd is I can't paint the rooms in my house as often as I use to. I guess I will have to stick to furniture. LOL.

ROCK: OMG --- you cracked me up about the Combined Concubine that would be some book title.

Candy: Hi their girlie! I'm so glad to see you on the Porch. I love reading your always put a smile on my face!

OK, I better go catch up on my own Garden Com Post thread....geeze, I've been in the bushes a long time!

8. rockgor

Back again. Bing Crosby recorded a song w/ the lyrics "From out of the past, where forgotten things belong, you keep coming back like a song." Written by the incredibly prolific Irving Berlin.

Ok, Mickey, we're waiting for that prom picture. you asked what music I got the other day. It was an obscure opera by a famous composer: Gemma Di Vergy by Donizetti.

Gemma, the soprano, was married to the Count of Vergy. Sad to say they had problems. Pretty much the standard opera plot. Soprano and tenor are in love, and the villainous baritone is making trouble.

Candy, what do you mean "Too much chocolate". Is there such a thing?

Granni, you asked what Gordon was cooking. Last night he marinated some ribs. He roasted them this morning before going to work. Yesterday he made enchilada casserole. He starts w/ peppers and makes his own sauces for Mexican dishes and spaghetti.

How were your tests, Jodi? I was never good at math. My son was tho. Took after his mother in that respect. he took trig and calculus, etc. I am so old I remember the slide rule but never knew how to work one.

Yes, Jole, kids who read early get off to a good start in school. I have no idea what computerized learning tools are. Do kids click on the right answer?

Georgia, you are moving furniture?! I remember my first job outta college. I reported for duty as a social worker and found myself carrying desks up stairs.

Monica, sorry to hear it's so wet in the badger state. Too bad you can't somehow get all that water to put out your flare. Haha (I know, lousy joke) Well, what can you expect from an alum of U. of W.?

Marta, what are you and the kitties up to?

Regards to one and all, he said redundantly. Kylob, Lacey, Barry, Bevy and points in between.

9. ckball

ckball New Member

Glad to see most are having good days.

Monica- I so feel for you, as my mothers house basement leaked all the time. I hope you are able to get it taken care of without losing your mind and most of your stuff.

Elaine- hope your laser treatment went well, sending postivie energy to you.

YC-thanks for the big welcome back and hope the new meds help. I know fatigue is the worst. I was dxs with ADD 3 years ago and take adderal which really helps the fatigue.

Linda-glad to see ya back and hear you are healing. Yes, tv can only entertain you so much.

Rock you really need to write a book about the Combined Concubine-too funny, I'm sure you could mosey over to The Strip and find a subject without a problem

Rosie-glad to see you as always-glad you had a few days of sun and hope the clouds go away soon.

Geogia I am sorry about your hearing, they have came out with so many hearing devices that I bet there is one for you, they are so much smaller now. I have issues with hearing with background noise in resturants, stores and such too. Hope your back is better, can you send Mr M over to vacum for me too :)

Granni hope you get your painting over before summer is over.

Lacey where are you?

Joan are you hiding in the bushes too?

Mickey did I miss you somewhere?

Sweetie I hope you are doing well and hiding out with Marta

I have been finishing up my thank you cards, rescheduling appts, catching up on calls and emails today. Now off my but and try to clean the inside of my house, thank goodness the dogs stopped shedding!

Hello to everyone I missed, I just winged it today-take care-Carla
    [This Message was Edited on 04/28/2008]
  10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I am flustered today, but wanted to say hi to all of you and esp. to Carla and Lin for being back and thanks for your mail too.

I just posted a joke about choc chip cookies on a joke thread. I love them. Rosie, when I was in the UK there was no such thing as choc chip cookies, peanut butter and mayo came in timy little jars and tuna was only found in cat food!!! I recall the first Wimpy bars opening selling beefburgers-they were awful. See how American you all are these days. I must say too, choc chip cookies, are the best ever!

We spent the whole morning at the hospital taking Danny in to take the lethal meds. He did fine, the staff were all so lovely, we sat in the cafeteria which has great food and really low prices. We all had omlette, hash browns and the guys sausage, breakfast for just over a dollar each! Lunch was more expenses at about $2 each! It is such a nice little place. Danny did OK, and was hungry the whole time, so we came back here after four hours, leaving him registered in case we have to pop back. It is one mile away is all.

So nice reading and catching up with you all. Lin it was raining and chilly here today, but it is meant to turn nice again tomorrow. I am so glad everyone feels a little better except poor ........ mind fog, in the flare. I hope this will pass.

Is everyone here taking Vitamin D3 at least 1,000 mg. I cannot stress enough that if you don't take anything else take this as it truly helps with flares, aches pains and is needed unless you are in bright sun most of the day. It also can prevent osteoporosis. Anyone taking stomach meds has to take it for sure.

Love to you all, have to prepare a class for tonight. I am talking about autism to a grad class at the Uni which will be fun.

Love Annie
  11. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I am sorry I havent' posted all weekend. It seems when I am home I am so busy and never have time to get on the computer but when I am at work I have the time. It should be the other way around, LOL.

Candy - I have actually been feeling wonderful, no more stomach flu. You know, it may of been the chinese. I haven't touched chinese food since the last time i was sick. I am glad we are friends too.

Julie - Oh it is so nice to hear from you all the way from Belize. You made it safely, praise the Lord. Hopefully you will be able to stay in touch and keep us updated on your exciting life.

Granni - It is funny, even though I have a computer at home, I hardly ever use it. When i get home the last thing I want to do is get back on the computer from being on all day at work. LOL. Me and DH are waiting for the rain to stop for a few days in a row too so we can stain our deck.

Mrdad - I hope you have a good time in Oregon. So you are getting your daughter a car. You are such a good Dad. We gave Ashley her car when she turned 16, it was actually are old Altima and then I got a new car, LOL. So that was nice. Have a wonderful safe trip

Carla - How do you do it, you are a very strong person. Your choc chip cookies were so gooey and warm. I am glad I got some before GRANNI'S DH ate them all, Yum Yum. Thanks for explaining the story about your Mom and you are such a wonderful daughter to do that for her. My Mom did that for my Grandma too, and me and my brother and sister would take turned during the week to spend the night with her one night a week and take care of her. I loved every minute of it. She was my Rock and miss her so much. Anyway, I am glad you are back, I missed you lots.

Rock - the difference between the relations of the sexes is that the man doesn't think before he speaks. Hahaha. Not all of them, but some. I read your post earlier about your son reading at age 3, that is awesome. I bet you were/still an awesome Dad. How old is your son now? Do you just have the one son??? Wow more ruthless than Betty and Joan, I would be scared to death of that emperor. I love Bing Crosby. I would have loved to live in that era (my Dad's). I watch the info commercial with them selling the video tapes of Dean Martin show that used to televise all the time. I want to buy all of those so bad. I may ask for that for Xmas. They are hilarious.

Elaine - It is funny you say that about talking to your Dad everynight. I do the same with my Grandma (she was like a mother to me). I know they can hear us and you are right it doesn't hurt to ask. I hope your lasering session went okay today. You were in my prayers about this. Please let us know

Lin - So glad you are feeling better too. Hooray!!! Gas price are way too high. I can only afford to fill my tank up halfway at a time it seems like. I am still trying to figure out this new computer at home to put the prom pictures on it. So it may be awhile.

Rosie - I definetly think we have the same weather. Your days are identical to mine. Nothing wrong with spoiling your kids in that way. I would do anything for my kids, I still do their laundry, cook for them, hang their clothes up, however, they do clean their rooms, make their beds, empty dishwasher, sweep, etc... My DH says I do too much for them, but I can't help it. I love to feel needed.

Monica - no wonder you can't get over your flare, you poor thing. That is way too much work for a healthy person to do yet someone like us with Fibro. I wish you could get some help with all that.

Well this is super long. I just feel bad that I didn't get to post all weekend. Love you all and porchies that I didn't mention please know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers too.

12. Granniluvsu

Hi there all you dear ones,

I had a very interesting (???) day today. First of all I thought I had a dental cleaning this morning and found out that I didn.'t. However, there was a new lasy there that checked and luckily my gal ws free to clean my teeth. Yay, so I didn;t have to go back again tomorrow. BTW, I put the date for this cleaning on one calendar on monday and on another for tuesday (the correct day.)

Then went to a shop nearby called Tuesday Morning. Does anyone have that store nearby. They have lots of things , usually name brands and such marked down . So, sometimes you are even extra lucky. Today I was even lucky enough to find 4 (matching outdoor chair pillows or chair pads)ON special SALE - my favorite word, to put on the chairs when we go outside to sit when the weather is nice like today. The chairs are plastic and so are hard and get cold when it is chily out there. My butt always gets more sore sitting out there with no extra padding. They were really cute with hot pepper designs on them and they were $6.99 each from $20.00 ea..

Then I came home, ate lunch and actually did a little more painting of the porch railings. This part is really a ----- with plants in the way. I guess it is getting there now and DH is finished with his part so he will now help me by doing some of the railing also. Hooray !!!

Elaine - I hope all went well with your "zaspping" today. Keep us updated and try to REST some you busy girl (-: !!

Linda - Glad that Danny seems to reactiing well to his new medication. I hope it continues. What was the name of it and what is it supposed to do for him? I am sure you mentioned it but I have forgotten. Glad you have been feeling well enough to come to the porch lately.

Candy - Hope the new meds for energy will help you. Let us know how it is doing if anything but it may take awhile I am guessing.

Carla - thanks again for those great cookies ----mmm !!It sounds to me like you are back to your old self again - more or less !! You need to do some resting too (-: !!

Rock - did you seen's Linda's question about the cartoon character that was famous for his Pick a nic baskets? I guess you missed it. Let us know if you have the answer. If not I have one I can guess who it is. So, let us know !!

Monica - take it easy sweetie. You must be feeling a little better to be so busy. Sorry to hear abou tall you wet weather.

Mickey - yesi I do not blame you for not wanting to see a computer after you get home. Also, I know there is lots of work waiting there for you plus you girls and their activities.

Georgia = glad you are feeling a little better. Your handiwork myst beautiful I have a friend who does beautiful crocheting , just gorgeous. I am sure youre is that wat too,. She can do litttle tiny lace work and throws, etc. etc.

Sorry i cannot remember anymore.

Lots of big hugs and blessing sent everdobby, inc those peakers like 1sweetie, Marta, Jole, Lacey and whoever else I have forgotten.

13. rockgor

Hi, Annie. Yes, I'm taking 1200 to 1600 IUs of vitamin D. Bought a bottle of Vitamin D couple weeks ago. Came home and found I already had one. This is getting a little tiresome.

I told Gordon about your lace knitting, Georgia. He said, "She must be knitting w/ toothpicks."

I need to buy a chair cushion too, Granni. Gordon bought a wooden chair at the thriftshop yesterday. 99 cents.

Yes, I saw Linda's question about stealing pic-a-nick baskets. I just can't bear it when I don't know the answer. Think I'll go eat some yogurt.

Hugs and waves

14. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i had so many great plans but i had to study for 3 big tests...math mainly...teacher is letting me take it on wednesday...i stayed w/a tutor...going back tomarrow.

so for the inquiring minds that have been wanting to know where cody is going to college this fall....drum roll....

San jose state university...he chose this because it would be the same scheduled breaks as his gf's that i think w/be going to oregan state university...

cody's father is making some more plans of moving out of san jose and becoming a border patrol office down in san dieago...we never know what his father is up to...being non medicated bipolar w/borderline personality disorder.

guess he is not blissfully happy w/his current gf...

well got to hop in the shower and go to dinner by myself...cody is busy coaching the powder puff we are on different schedules..

he is playing his guitar hero 3 right now...i have done it as well..but kills the hands.

he has been coaching the track team for community service time...

possibly he may try out for san jose state football team...

his knee is 6 months ahead of schedule...hooray for that!

well talk back to you all later

15. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

dropped off for all of 10 minutes, wide awake now, maybe I'll get some reading done.

Carla I'm glad you're coping so well. I hadn't realised your Mum was ill for so long.

Rock - the ring is beautiful. A .70ct solitaire with two rows of diamonds either side. It was valued at 3 times what Reni paid for it from the Israeli jeweller. I really mistrust buying jewellery online but it worked out. It's obvious I live vicariously through my kids. Think I better up my vitamin D.

Anne - I'm so glad Danny got on well at the hospital. American food - yes I remember emigrating to Canada at 18 and being amazed at the fried chicken and milkshakes. We only had chicken back then for Sunday dinner. Always missed our chocolate though and Irn Bru, though I haven't touched the stuff in years, Irn Bru not chocolate. They've started to sell Irn Bru over in the States now, a big market for it apparently.

Mickey, my kids are now 31 and 26 - both flown the coop but we still do what we can for them. I'm hoping to be a Gran this year.

We have a two day strike at the main oil refinery in Scotland, 4 miles from where I live. Everyone has been put on rations and the place has had to close down for safety. Apparently it will take 3 weeks for them to be up and running again and the strikers are threatening to go out another 2 days later this week. We may well run out of food and starve!!!! Well that won't happen but we're heading for some kind of chaos if they don't work things out.

I'm blethering folks so will get back to bed.

Love to everyone I've missed.

16. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

LIN - It sure is a beautiful morning and thanks for having Jerome fix us breakfast, my chair was nice and warm on the chilly, sunny Tuesday morning. My aunts party is going good. There should be about 25 of us and lots of food, everyone is bringing a dish (family). I just hope the weather cooperates. I also bought all the party stuff for the graduation party and have all the invitations ready to go in the announcements to mail out, which I will before May 12th when postage goes up.

GRANNI - I have a Tuesday Morning too right by my work. I go over there all the time on my lunch break. I love that place. I have so much stuff. Their clearance section is awesome, especially right after Xmas. I am so glad DH is going to help you with the railings. You must have a lot of them. Wow.

ELAINE - You didn't tell us how your lazering session went. I am assuming okay, you sound like your chipper self again. I was wondering, can I ask my pain mgmnt doctor about the adderal or do I have to go to a different doctor.

ROSIE - I am going to be so depressed when Ashley leaves for College. I don't know how I am going to handle it when they are both gone. We do so much together and we are so close. How did you do it????? Lots of tears I bet. I am definetly not one of those parents that can't wait for their kids to be gone. If it were my choice, they could live there forever. LOL I will prayer for the strike to end and that the refinery opens back up.

Well all you other porchies, wake up and smell the roses. Lets get the day rolling.

17. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Mickey - my daughter stayed at home and commuted to university only 12 miles away. She is now married and works as a Social Worker, lives 12 miles away in the university town of Stirling so I see a lot of her.

My son went to college in town, he lives closeby and I see a lot of him too.

When I was 18 I left home and emigrated to Canada for 5 years, spent another 5 years away from home, with the occassional visit. I now realise how much it must have hurt my Mum for me to be away - I would hate it if my kids moved elsewhere but if they made that choice I wouldn't try to stop them.

Linda - we are having some sunshine, yippee!!

Everybody else, have a good day. Eat cake as Marie Antoinette said to the starving rabble at the castle gates (actually she supposedly didn't say this at all) - cake is good!! I am sending over some Scottish Black Bun for you all.

18. Granniluvsu

Jodie - So glad that Cody has finally made the bid decsion of where to go to college. That is great to have that decided anywho 11

Sorry you had to stay home and study and get ready for your tet but you ave made the right decision. Good luck on your tests especiallythe math !! I feel for you my dear, believe me. Also sorry I forgot to mention you in my last couple of posts but it has been busy around here and always on a rush to get off the computer it seeems, for DH. Right now he is out playing golf but I have to rush and get outside to do a little bit of Porch rail paint -WHOOPIE! I surrely will be glad when that is all over. This afternoon we have a singing practice of my small group. We haven't met in quite a while as the leader has been ill..

We have a program to do in a week so we had better do something. Wouldn't be surprised if the group was called off for the summer and then possibly even cancelled for good in the not to distant future dut to her health. However, I know it will not be done without a fight. She is about 85 years old I think but has always been a "firecracker" if you know what I mean and very busy. Since her problem with hi b/p and other things she has dropped out of her church choir and our county chorale group.

Rock - Yep, I would have gotten that Yogie Bear answer correct. Gee, I wish I was as spart on the new stuff as I was on the old !!!

Linda - yes, it is quiet out here isn't it. However, don't think it will be for long. Have to go out and do a little painting soon. Glad you are feeling better.

Rosie - glad to see you too. Sorry , I think I fogot to mention last time.

Candy will talk to you later on. Hope that new med wil be helpful.

Sorry all I have to run but I hope to be back at your later on this evening. Special hugs to Elaine, Carla and Linda.

Love to EVERYDOBBY,

19. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Rock, your response to Doxy a post had me cracking up out loud at work. Everyone was asking me what was so funny. I just said oh, some guy on email. That was hilarious.

Anyway, it is kind of slow on the porch today. I know I am probably going to be caught in the door and should probably start a new one. But I think the original porchies should do that. That is your job. LOL

I had a nice little nap in my car again at lunch. Started reading and then fell asleep, it really helps for the long afternoons to get through.

Granni hope you got some more painting done today. Good luck at chior.

Take care everyboddy
  20. ckball

ckball New Member

just waiting to see who is going to get caught in the door- so I will take the leap of faith- see ya on the other side-Carla