The Porchlight Vol. 685 NOW CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Feb 16, 2014.

1. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

It's me again. Bum bum de bum. Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered. A Broadway
    tune from the year I was born.

Went to the market today. I drove. I almost never drive. Gordon says he gets car sick
    if he's a passenger. Needed milk. The stuff I got at Walmart the other day was watery.
    True, it was cheaper, but it wasn't very good. You suppose it's more of that crap they
    import from China?

Have now taken the new Niacin two days. NO adverse reaction. Yeah! Thank you, Dar.
    Got three novels at the library yesterday. They are all terrible. Quit reading after a few
    chapters. Is it I, or is it the books? Doesn't really matter, I guess. Either way there is no fit.

Mike, your posts are so cheerful and energetic and full of activity. I am so happy for you.
    You only paid $1.77 for chicken breasts? That's pretty good. At Ralphs today the chicken
    salad was $7 a pound. Ditto the tuna salad. I can't imagine who buys that stuff!
    Gordon has a 2 CD set of Elvis singing gospel. One of my favorite gospel tunes is one I
    discovered fairly recently. It's called "The Family Bible". My favorite version is by Pat Boone.
    Written by Willie Nelson who also wrote "Crazy".

Freida, your soggy crust apple pie sounds fine to me. You ever try that Ritz Cracker Apple
    pie recipe? I made it decades ago. Tastes just like the real thing. Gordon sometimes makes
    himself a baked apple. Throw it in the oven with some butter and brown sugar. A sweet
    treat in very little time.

Granni, your "meet at the parking lot and form a car pool of sorts" reminded me of a boss
    back in the 60s. We were going on a clamming expedition. He said, "Ok, then. We'll
    meet at the parking lot and combine the cars."

Diane, good luck with new therapist. I got a lot of help with my depression from a
    book called "Feeling Good" by David Burns. He has written several other books and
    has a website. One of his books is "When Panic Attacks".

SG, I took lots of ibuprofen last year when my back was bad. I think my doctor told
    me ibuprofen and Tylenol were the same thing. I guess it's really Advil. Well,
    It's confusiatin' enuff when you have to remember one name. BTW, I saw some foot exercises on Youtube the other day too. It's for neuropathy. Now I just have to remember
    to do them.

Dar, what do you mean "Off to the pumpkin Patch"? That sounds like a field trip for
    next fall. You have a Trader Joe's near you? They go crazy at Halloween. Have a
    couple dozen punkin flavored items on the shelves. Pumpkin dairy; beverage; bakery;
    candy; etc.

Julie, hope your Dad had a nice birthday. I only remember one birthday. I was 15 and
    had a flaming banana split. Have you been to Texas before? I visited my aunt and uncle
    in San Antonio. Saw the Alamo. Turn around and there's a modern hotel. 300 years of
    architecture in an instant.

Adios, Amigos
    Rock
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Rock,

Well, I have more to write about when I'm not sleeping all day. Did that for five days. It's wonderful for the skin. Mamie Eisenhower used to take to her bed now and then and sleep all day for her skin. Don't remember that she had any wrinkles but I surely remember those bangs. In any case, the dark circles I had had under my eyes while I was sick are soooo much better. Sorry your books aren't satisfying. When we don't feel well or are tired, all we have are our books and TV (and TV has been sucking big time lately) :(

We have an Italian market here in Ft. Myers and they compete with the one over in the Cape. Both have excellent loss leaders and other good sales. There is just something old timey about the store in the Cape. They also have a restaurant. We have another little store called, Taste of Italy just down the street but they don't have the sales. Barb got some bleu cheese there, though, and it was outstanding. I think I'll check Costco because their cheese is so reasonable. As long as I remember to take my Lactaid. BTW, MacArthur (or is it McArthur's?) milk is the best I have ever drunk. 7/Eleven's milk is almost as good and isn't expensive. I remember shopping at Ralph's when I visited my DD in LA. We have a Trader Joe's down the coast a bit but right now, with all these hordes of people on the roads, it's no fun to go. Then, you have to fight them in the aisles, elbow to elbow.

Yesterday, some old man backed out right in front of my car. Don't know why as he was parking in a Handicap spot. When we came out, I wheeled our carts back and the same old man got into his car to leave. I gave him wide berth and, sho 'nuff, he put his car in drive and rammed the concrete bumper. Guess he thought it was in reverse but even if it were, the car would have shot out backward just like it did when he parked. He could have hit someone else. So, we not only have to put up with our own resident drivers who should be off the roads. we have this influx of people who can't drive. We have to practice extreme defensive driving. I did look at him and shake my head. His wife was with him and, if she were alert enough to realize what was happening, she was likely giving him what for too. He had a beautiful new car; I wonder how often he has to replace them. Yikes! :eek:

This morning, a group of us are driving up the Coast about 45 mins. to watch our neighbor jump in tandem ot of a plane to celebrate her 80th birthday. She's a friend or I wouldn't go. I have too much to do around here. I've been running around too much. Now that I'm back to working out in the pool, I have mucho NRG. I slept til 5:00 this morning. That's really good for me. I woke refreshed like the old days. Of course, it could also be the side effects of the second head injury wearing off. I've hard nothing from DD, so assume DGS is OK. I put Simon's food out for him, even though he wasn't in my chair. He'll likely come by for his breakfast. Yesterday, I spent a bit of time just talking to him through the screen door. He sits on the balcony deck and just looks at me like he's really enjoying the one-way conversation.

Guess I had better get going. Seems every day when I sign in, there are some posts, with spam or inappropriate content, which have to be dealt with. Again, I want to thank everyone who reports these. Please be especially careful not to click on any of the blue embedded word links if the post is written in poor English or doesn't seem to make sense. A lot of hackers are from third-world countries and their written language is a dead give away. Happy, and safe, posting to everyone and big wishes for a great day.

Love, Mikie
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

A quick hug to all. DH has been on the computer and I have been busy with all kinds of stuff. Will be singing again this morning;. I am waiting for my ride since we have one car.

Had my mammogram appt. but have to go back another day for my bone scan as I was not told to be off Calcium for 3 days. I asked about my Strontium Citrate and they said no when I asked. Not sure if they ever heard of it or not. When I had spoken to the appt. person she didn't mention being off Ca for 3 days. They are using a different machine I was told. I knew that part. GEEZ What a pain now I had to make another apt in March. Glad the hospital was not really far away only about 1/2 hour or a little more maybe.

Julie - I think I missed your post. Don't wear yourself out please and try not to get yourself ill.

DH will be home in a few minutes from the bank so I won't be on mych longer. Sorry I haven't been able to post more.

Back later.

Love,
    Grani
  4. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Granni: I've had a bone scan in the past and was NEVER told to be off calcium. Weird! Besides I wouldn't think that not taking it for 3 days would show anything on the bone scan.

Mikie: What a daring 80 year old!!!!! I'm clapping for her. I hope she has wonderful trip down. I'm turning 70 in dec. maybe I should think of something very special. When my son in law turned 45 my daughter and I paid for him to have an hr. ride in an old open cockpit bi plane. They flew over our house and we waved like crazy. He was also flown over his house and along the local mountain range. This plane was used in some movie, but can't remember it right now.

Rock: You drove!!!! Yea. Good for you. My daughter has to drive......she gets car sick. Personally I think she just needs to be "in charge". A few weeks ago I talked about the expensive cheese we bought at Whole Foods market. I was cleaning out the cheese drawer in the frig putting together something for over pasta. Both cheeses are gone so I guess my DH ate them. Speaking of Whole Foods, I wish there was one closer to us than having to drive to Pasadena. I'm going to send them an email and ask about the possibilities of one in our area. I know of a large empty supermarket and will let them know about it!

I had to get a blood test....made my appt. for 8:30, fasted from midnight on (that's hard because I get shaky when I don't eat right away) and then headed out for the lab. Half way there it dawned on me this was a new place. Had to drive home, panicked because I was going to miss my appt. time. Finally got a map quest printed, and found at least 25 people waiting.......most without an appt. WHY don't people make an appt? What a waste of their time just sitting.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Hi to everydobby,

DH is at one of his meetings now. Not sure if the luncheon finished or not. After that some go to an investment discussion group. After we sand this morning, a few of us went to lunch that had free time. DH would not be home so I decided to go. We just went to a cafeteria that I hadn't been to in many years for lunch. The food was good but my Chicken Piccata could have been hotter. It tasted fine though. I imagine that may be the last time I go in a long time since DH dislikes cafeteria food or just won't go :)!! Not that we out for lunch a whole lot .

Sun - Yes I had not heard of it either about being off Calcium for 3 days but I am guessing it is a different kind of machine or maybe even fairly new. However, it did not apply to the scanner I had when I went to the imagining center close to home. I am guessing this one might be more accurate, They are not doing the bone scanning where I used to go close to home any longer. I know that quite a few years ago when I went to an endocrinologist she wanted me to go to the one at the hospital the next time I went. So that is my guess. I just hope there is at least some improvement.

Yes, you are right about these people that don't make appointments an just pop in to the doc or whever. makes more problems for everyone but they probably don't care ):!

Freida - I am feeling so badly for those having to get out in the midst of al the snow you all have gotten. At least you don't have to get out in it. I imagine DH has to go to work, shopping or whatever else. Hope your throat problem is a little better and your whole body is doing better too.

Rock - Glad you got to drive the other day. Good for you !!

Gotta run DH is home.

Love to all,
    Granni

P.S. Mikie - I think I saw a post that might have been a spammer. I think it was yesterday sometime but didn't really check into it. I know you all must be busy trying to make sure this site is clean, if you know what I mean. I edited this to finish what I started to write before Dh wanted to go to the jeweler to get his watches new batteries.

Hugz to everyone, inc. those not named ( not on purpose) !
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Porchies,

Granni, don't worry. If you didn't report it, someone else did. Between our members, mods and admin., we make pretty good progress at keeping us safe. I've never been told about the calcium either. If they need that done, they need to tell people when they set up the appt. Even though I have osteopenia, my doc told me not to take calcium supps. He believes they can cause cancer and heart attacks. Geez, we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Sunflower Girl, I think celebrating a birthday in an awesome way is wonderful. This woman has a weight problem, is blind in one eye with macular degeneratin, and has beaten stomach cancer. Also, she has had a knee replacement. She looks ten years younger and has the NRG of a young woman. I was glad I went. So many of her friends went and everyone took pics. Also, they take a video when they jump so I'm sure I'll see that. My phone camera stopped working so I didn't get pics. Before the camera crapped out, I managed to get a pic of two toilets sitting outside, side by side. They are to be picked up so I'm glad I got the pic. I'm going to title the pic, Florida Redneck Sanolet!

After we left the airport, we drove up to Sarasota to eat at an Amish restaurant. There were two restaurants and there were lines like at Disney World. We didn't want to wait so we stopped at the Firemen's Sub Shop. We had great subs so it wasn't a total loss. After season is over, I want to go back to eat some Amish food. There must be a large community there as we saw them everywhere. They also sell their handmade crafts and furniture in little shops. It was such a pleasure just to see it all; I can't wait to go back to shop and eat, two of the things I do best. The other is napping.

I am tired tonight. I had to clean out my freezer when I got home so I could put away the chicken breasts I bought yesterday. They weren't cut up cleanly like one buys in a tray at the supermarket. It's like they boned the bird and just cut away the white meat. It's the front half of a boneless chicken. There were five of these. I froze mine because I got a homemade pizza which I'll eat tomorrow. I gave a bag to Ilona and one to Barb.

Nothing good on TV tonight so will binge watch "Weeds." I'm hooked on it. Bet I'll pass out early tonight. Tomorrow is pool aerobics time again so I need to wake rested. Hope everyone has a great evening.

Love, Mikie
  7. jole

jole Member

Hi all.... what a busy bunch you are! Driving, watching sky divers, reading, going for tests, baking, and swimming!! Mikie, you sound like you're doing sooo much better than I remember. Good for you!
    Leah, I love apple pie, especially warm with a dip of ice cream on top :) And you're not the only one wishing for warm weather. Strange here, it was in the low 70's yesterday, and we woke up with a couple inches of snow on the ground this morning. Even that I wouldn't mind if it weren't for the constant wind blowing.
    Rock, I agree. Chicken and tuna salad are both so easy to make, I can't imagine anyone buying it at that price. Sorry your books weren't good ones. Even with being able to read a sample before buying, I run into that problem with my Kindle books also.
    Granni, that's so frustrating when instructions aren't given before an exam and it has to be rescheduled. I've never heard of stopping calcium before a scan either, and I've had quite a few of them. My bones are not good at all.
    Sunflower, glad you got to your new lab place okay. It sure doesn't take much to cause us anxiety. Years ago we would have just mumbled a few 'words' and gone on our way.
    Shoot, I should have jotted notes, 'cause I can't remember the other page. I had to take a break for a bit and I'll probably lose this so will be back!
  8. jole

jole Member

Me again.. with a question. Saw the cardiologist yesterday and he wants to do a heart cath. Has anyone here had one? I've had all the other heart tests..echo, stress test, etc. and everything was fairly normal. But since my dad and brother both died of heart attacks he thinks he needs to do this. I know the risk with the procedure isn't that great, but still a risk. Plus he made a comment about a gal being told she had FM and it ended up being a heart block, and I felt a little pressured with that comment. Not sure if he doesn't believe in FM/CFS or if he really believes the symptoms are the same. I've had palpitations my entire life and that's the only thing I see they've got in common. Comments?

Diane, I understand your panic/anxiety issues.....that's part of my reason for questioning the above. If something medical isn't necessary, (or even if it is), I panic big time. Was suppose to have a colonoscopy a few years ago and I cancelled the morning of. Just couldn't manage it because of a huge panic attack. I can't do crowds either. Even my own family makes me take to my bedroom for a breather when they're all here. I'm so sorry you have to go through that. The only thing the therapist told me that seemed to help was to wear a band on my wrist, and whenever I felt one coming on to start snapping the band. It will 'occasionally' take my mind to a different spot (like discomfort) long enough to make it through without a full blown attack. But nothing else has helped other than the Xanax. It's embarrassing to have to leave a room full of people shaking, gasping for breath, sweating, and barely able to find the door!

Julie, your family is really growing! You're very lucky to have your grandbabies close by. It's great to see all the changes and watch their little personalities develop. I seem to watch most of mine through pictures these days:( but do talk to them on the phone, and they say the funniest things!

Spring, good to see you again too. And I agree, pictures would be wonderful if you can get them on here. If not, you have a great way with words so we can visualize the scenes that way too.

Making beef stew (with hamburger). Well, I guess it's actually vegetable soup with hamburger to be more exact. Gotta go finish it up. Hubby's hungry, and I had the energy to cook for a change. Made enough to freeze a couple meals, which makes me happy! Hugs to all........Jole
  9. Darrae

Darrae Member

Okay, so where's 686? Did anyone start one? Can't find it in the forums.
  10. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

you get to start it!
  11. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Hi Jole, so great to hear from you. Can't stay tonight as I have a few things I need to finish on the computer. Also watching some Olympics, skating is the favorite. Hope to see you on here more. Glad you are doing well. Sounds like it anyway !!

So nice to read such long posts from Dar and Mikie too.

Mikie - Thanks for thinking of me. I wasn't worried about the spam posts. I know you or other Moderators would catch up with her or him PDQ :)!!! Will try and write some more tomorrow. I have been so bad with posting with to much for me to do. Next week won't be a lot better ):!

Love you all,
    Granni :)
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This thread is closed. Please do not post more here. Look for new Porch. Thanks