The Porchlight Vol. 697 IS CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Apr 8, 2014.

1. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Bow to your corner, bow to your gal.
    All to the center. Wave at your pal.

Back to your places; then circle right.
    Dance all night by the pale moonlight.

Chicken in the skillet. Taters in the pan.
    Allemande left with either hand.

Gals to the center; form a star.
    Gents stay put right where you are.

Do-see-do as light as foam.
    Now swing your gal and all go home.

Messages on the last post from Jam and Mikie. Gordon and I are just leaving for the library. Gordon is having a busy day. He went to the unemployment office. There will no extension on benefits. There was last year. Then he had to get a new credit card. Some rascal was using his card. So far it's cost him $16. Can only hope it won't be more. We live in interesting times. Too interesting for my taste.

Hope you're all having a reasonably good day. I woke up all achy, but the ibuprofen
    is helping.

Hugs
    Rock
  2. springwater

springwater Member

hi all

Rock - good to see your post..i hope you got some good books, tk goodness the
    credit card thief didnt spend more!! its so invasive on ones sense of security when
    thieves attack!

julie - hope you have a good experience with the oregano oil, i didnt go back to
    oil pulling because of all the things that came in between but i still feel i should
    return to doing it sometime now that i hv my time to myself sort of, a practise
    that ancient is probably good

mikie - that time you spent with Barb on terrace sounded idyllic...very peaceful
    and enjoyable!

granni - i thought you were the dress wearing types...:) but pants are most comfy
    and practical...i wear my own long dress only on occasions, too cumbersome.

sun - im with you on not liking the changes in body strength as we grow older,
    lately, ive been feeling so exhausted its like im returning to that stage i was in
    before i got a little better, three years ago...all that stress and no meditation prob
    ably taking its toll, also hvnt had my iron supps..or vitamin B...funny how stupid
    and careless we can get under stress...

ive been too exhausted to do much or even visit DHs sis family but they hv gone
    on a pilgrimage, some ten hours road journey and then several hours of walking,
    whew! hats off to her and her hubby and 14 yr old daughter...if anyone can do
    it, they can...theyre all vegetarians, dh and daughter following SIL into giving
    up meat few years back..SIL gave it up when she was 19, shes like 40 something
    now and an energizer bunny...my DH was raving about his sis the other day,
    how she whipped up variety of veg dishes and fed them all, the family and some
    visitors in a jiffy..i believed him..at home in switzerland when me and my dh visited
    for a week, she was keeping a tibetan couple from india who had lost their passport,
    while on tour for dance performance for couple of months! while their papers
    got reprocessed..and these were people they didnt really know, and al at their own
    expense basically sheltering the two and on top of that my MIL and BIL were visiting
    same time, (separately) so five of us extra and she would do all the cooking cleaning
    herself, i used to try and help but she would shoo me out so i just used to sweep
    and mop a little. of course, the washing machine and dishwasher used to be of help
    but still, her two sons were schol going and not that much help and she used to deal
    with her diabetic little daughter who had to be injected six times a day and her food
    weighed out and given for every meal...(now, theve developed a med which allows
    cthe daughter to eat starch and sweets to a certain extent.) previously if we went
    out the little girl would have a few non sweet fruit and some veggies like cucumber
    on her plate, it was heartbreaking.

oh, yesterday my chinese friends FIL expired and was trying to find a monk to come
    and pray for the night...i couldnt get one, it was eight pm and al the monasteries had their
    own prayers going on..ive offered to go out to some monasteries and light lamps and
    ask for prayers today after doung my condolence visit...hope i hv enough energy!

my pranic healer friend has offered to accompany me so i guess that will be nice, in
    having soneone along...

well, take care all

god bless
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Hi Rock - Thanks so much for posting, and getting us started with a square dance call yet. Great, that pepped me up a bit. I really enjoyed square dancing when we both took it maybe 10 or more years ago. Maybe you cold send Gordon over here to help me clean out my closets. Although I am glad that the donation people are coming again next week to pick some stuff we do not need or want any more.

Spring Water - So nice to ear from you. Hoping to see more of you soon. Speaking of your prayers and going off to the monestery you have worn me out. I think it would be nice t go it someone else esp. on such a long journey. Miss you when you are not here along wit other dear ones.

We sand at a local Baptist church's Sr. group - They just loved all our older songs. It made us feel so good.

Bye for now and thinking of you Julie and everydobby else.

Love,
    Granni :)
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sweet dreams to you, our friend, Julie.

Rock, thanks for the dance. Someone just got hold of my CC# and used it to buy four things online. It only amounted to about $100 but my CC co. told me I didn't have to pay any of it. The law says the CC cos. can hold you responsible for the first $50 but mine didn't. It may have been because I didn't lose it. Someone where I had used it copied my number and used it without my having any knowledge of it. I doubt they went after this person but since it was online, I would think it would be fairly easy to just find out where the merchandise was sent. If it was to a PO Box, it would be easy to find the owner of the box. I think it's just too small time a crime for anyone to care. I called my CC co. but not the sheriff. This town is rife with fatal traffic accidents, murders and drugs, so I doubt they would expend any energy looking for a $100 CC thief.

Springwater, I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend's DFIL. I just sent up a prayer for him and the family. Part of my daily prayer is for those who pass and those who pass in most need of mercy. Don't you just love listening to about how much energy someone else has? It's like eating a big candy bar in front of a diabetic or having a drink in front of an alcoholic. I don't think people mean to be thoughtless, especially our loved ones, but hearing these things just heaps insult on top of injury for us. Yes, yesterday afternoon was idyllic and the time flew by. My lanai looks out over the pond and a whole flock of ducks were paddling up ad down the water. Everything is so lush and green now. Only thing missing was the fountain. It is in need of repair. I have a lot of plants on my lanai because I love them so. When they get to a certain size, I have to take them downstairs to plant. Barb loved sitting out there because it's like our own little garden or, because I'm on the second floor, like she is, our little tree house. A neighbor had given us each a little flat red pepper shaped like a UFO with a fluted edge. I dried the seeds and planted them. The poor little things came up all stringy and limp but several of them survived and the pepper plant is growing tall. I need to repot it and get some taller stakes. I hope it will produce the peppers as they are the cutest thing I've ever seen.

Granni, did you do old Gospel songs or other old songs? I would enjoy either, or both, of those. I love old time Gospel music. I think I've mentioned that I have Elvis' Gospel CD; actually, I have one in the car and one at home. His "Precious Lord" takes me as close to Heaven as I can get here on Earth. If people listened to that as they drive, there would be no more road rage. Speaking of which, a woman here honked at another woman who then followed her into a Publix parking lot, jumped out of her car with a huge wrench in her hand, and reached in through the window and tried to haul the poor woman out. OMG! Talk about your road rage. Thankfully, the road rager was arrested. Perhaps a little anger mgmt. therapy; just a thought.

I called the electrician yesterday when I got home from the doc's. We have halogen lights under our carport on a motion detector. They go on at night as soon as anyone enters the carport. They are very bright but the bulbs are extremely difficult to install. We had an extra fixture with the light in it so I asked the electrician just to install the new fixture rather than take a chance removing the bulb and transferring it to the old fixture. You cannot touch the bulbs or the oil from your hands will eventually heat up and the bulb will explode. In the case of ours, something had caused the end of the bulb to snap. They are a bit like tiny fluorescent bulbs. Over the years, I've gotten to know the electricians we use and they are a great bunch of guys. He was out here in a Fort Myers minute (slower than a NY minute cause this is the South :) Normally, I would be climbing up my little stool and fixing it myself but, with this Herpes-Family Virus attacking me, I'm in no position to be climbing up on anything.

I'm having trouble with one of our board members. It seems she takes every opportunity to attack me verbally. When I told them that I was unable to fix the light and needed to call the electrician, she told me it didn't need to be fixed. I told her it was a legal liability and if anyone got hurt and claimed it was because it was too dark to see, we could be sued. She argued that no one would do that. That's an inane argument, even for the most uninformed; lawyers are on TV every day, using this exact scenario, telling people they are entitled to settlements if mgmt. doesn't keep the area safe and well lit. Once an assn. has an amenity, it is bound by law to keep that amenity safe and in good working condition. This woman knows this but likes to berate, not only me, but her husband in front of anyone and everyone. I've stopped taking it and just refute her arguments. I left to call the electrician and had it done. Later, she sent a text with one word on it--"Thanks." Yeah, that warmed my heart. Sorry for whining and venting but it helps to get it out :mad:.

I fell asleep early last night and woke at 3:30 with an upset stomach. I decided to get up and go back to sleep later. I had some Pepto Bismol and my Bran Buds in yogurt. I got a new brand--Liberte , with an accent over the last e; very French ;), which is distributed from Denver. I thought every food had to have the country of origin on the label. Maybe it's made in Denver (in the French Section :D.

I'm having to reread my post because I keep thinking one word and typing another. That's always a sign I'm not doing too well :confused:. I apologize for any mistakes. Also sorry for another "W&P" post. I hope everyone has a great, pain free day with lots of NRG.

Love, Mikie
  5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Good morning to awl,

It is actually quiet this morning . Got up early to get ready for the lady who comes and helps me clean occasionally. DH went to his meeting and then will probably go to lunch with he guys. It is so quiet now unless I hear the vacuum or water in the tub, making a noise.

Julie - Glad that you are making good use of the playpen. My little ones spent a fair amount of time in there when I couldn't be watching them 24/7. They are so busy ! How old are the twins now? I think you have told me not to long ago but I cannot remember. Are thy getting close to 2 years?

I'll have to do some checking on that oregano oil. We have a health food store very close to us but it might be quite expensive there, not sure. Need to some more checking on where they have it around here, prices, and what it is also used for. I know about on line they have some pretty good prices on supps on line. Speaking of being out numbered you really will be after baby #4 is born. I know the feeling, as I had 5 after the last one. Need to hear more about oil of oregano from anyone who things it has helped them with any medical problem. I have been using coconut oil usually in mixture with Olive oil in my cooking. Not cheap stuff either but if it helps us in any way, I will use it. I also like the taste.

Yes, I agree with your JULIE on telling SUN about vacuuming being one of the hardest things on your bodies. I also bought a new vacuum a year or so ago after the other die and it is quite heavy. I am glad I have a lady to push it for me. I never had help either till a few years ago. Got a good deal on someone elses cleaning lady and bit the bullet. After all, I am in my 70's. Hope I don't have to quit using her as prices in everything else rises. I will really miss her. Hang in there Julie with all those babies :)!!:)

Mikie - The songs were are singing now are - On a Wonderful Day, Do, Re, Me, Mr. Sandman,Har and Soul, Catch a Falling Star,Over the Rainbow, Standin in the Need of Prayer, Play for me a simple melody, Love Me Tender, Stormy Weather, Over the Rainbow, Chattanooga Choo Choo (get to blow the train whistle on that one). All that Jazz, and we end with Peach on Earth. For anther show we will do the end of April we will be doing on town at some festival of sorts. So they wanted a few even older ones. So we will add Ma, He's Making Eyes at M, , Alexanders Ragtime Band and I Love A Piano. This was a church group, Sr.s and they really got into some of them. We felt really god after this one with our new singers. I took a long lasting cuogh med so I didn't cough while trying to sing.

Thinking of so many of you Sun, Spring Water, Jole, Joan, Rock, Leah and all our wonderful Porchies, lurkers included :)!

Love,
    Granni
  6. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hello Kids

Just back from shopping. The market and the 99 cent store. LA seemed to be extra noisy
    today. Met with fire trucks both coming and going. Gordon will be 65 in a couple of
    months. He has decided to start drawing Soc. Sec. benefits as soon as he can.

Probably a good idea as his father and a brother both died young; he has health issues
    of his own; and there is always the possibility the government will go broke. I know.
    It can keep printing money. The problem with that is, the money may not have much
    buying power. I believe the financial wizards in Washington went to the same
    school of economics as the folks who managed Detroit.

Good luck with finding a cleaning person/crew, Jam. My mother, the compulsive cleaner,
    used to have a gal come in for a half day now and then. Of course, she'd clean first so
    the place wouldn't look dirty.

Granni, I agree about vacuums. We bought an upright shark a few years ago. It's now too
    much for me to handle. Just bending over to plug it in is difficult. I like your song list. It's
    just shame that someone who loves music as much as I was so lousy at making it. But
    I was good at collecting records. Ha Ha!

I agree with Sun, Granni. I always picture you in a granni dress. More ha ha! I went to a wedding in the 70s. It took place in an avocado orchard. All the women wore granni
    dresses. It looked like Little House on the Prairie.

Sun, are you going to start again with your supplements? Hope you can get back
    some of your energy. Between my bad back and lack of energy, I hate to leave the house.
    I go shopping with Gordon because he likes me too. And it isn't fair that he has to do everything. But after ten or fifteen minutes on my feet, I really need to sit down.

Glad to hear you got a long night's rest, Julie. Been ages since I woke up feeling rested and
    ready to accomplish something. I looked up History of the Playpen to see when they came
    into use. All I could find was info about writing instruments. I remember when my son
    was play pen age. In addition to toys, we gave him stuff from the kitchen. He amused
    himself banging pot lids and poking things with a paper towel tube.

Mikie, I used to have lots of gospel records. Gordon has a 2 CD set of Elvis singing gospel.
    He had a beautiful baritone. At the end though, he had no breath control. Would sing
    2 or 3 notes and then stop to breathe. Very sad. He and another great American baritone
    Bing Crosby died the same year.

Hugs, Kids
    Rock
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Pochies,

I'm writing this from my bed. The whatever HFV isn't getting better. Every afternoon, my legs hurt so bad and I get headaches. So, I decided to bring out the big guns and I took a transfer factor. It'll probably make me feel a bit fluey for a day or two but it should kick my immune system into gear and help get my virus into latency.

Julie, I'm glad you're able to rest too. I also think of the days when I had to get up early and go to work, even when I worked part time. I just couldn't do it today. I'm a big believer in play pens. DD wouldn't put DGS in one and I told her she was nuts. Both the girls learned to sit in theirs and play by themselves while I got my work done. I knew they were safe and sound and I didn't leave them in the play pens for extended periods of time. They would let me know when they wanted to come out and I would "rescue" them.

Granni, I wish I were there to hear you sing. I loooooove the old songs. I loved your spelling of feeling "god" afterward. I think what you do is very loving and feeling good and God is appropriate. You give such pleasure to so many. Bless you.

Jam, my Mom had a Dirt Devil and never liked it. She got to where she couldn't push it anymore. I wanted her to get a cleaning lady as I couldn't do it for her. She moved in with me shortly after that. I got the Romba robot vacuum for in between cleaning. It doesn't do the deep cleaning but it keeps thee floors crumb free in the meantime. Pushing any of my floor machines, especially the shampooer, is so hard on me.

Rock, I loved Bing Crosby's voice. I was sad when his one son from his first marriage wrote that "Daddy Dearest" type book about how abusive he was. No one else denied it but they refused to talk about it. Give me a crooner singing a love song any day. I'm so glad I grew up when I did with memories of the 40's and 50's music and then, Rock 'n Roll.

Well, guess I had better stop and watch "Survivor." As much as I would like to get my closet finished, I think I'll be feeling pretty punk once the TF kicks in. Hope y'all have a wonderful evening.

Leah, saw you post on Jam's computer thread. Stop in for a visit. We miss you.

Love, Mikie
  8. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

I have to laugh thinking of you all picturing me in a granni dress. That is hysterical cause I hardly ever wear a dress or skirt any more , Maybe later when it gets warmer - then it will be shorts and capri's or whatever length the pants . I always have loved pants, especially jeans. I fact that s what I am wearing now but it will soon be to warmer clothes or should I say to keep cooler.

Hope you all have a nice and refreshing nights sleep. I know, for years I haven't felt like I have gotten up and ready to meet the day. I always feel like I am dragging.

Jam - I feel the way my mom was about her house, and your mom too it sounds like.. It was always pretty clean but she was not fanatical about cleaning. I never had the time to be that fussy about it. Others told me it was always neat and clean. but I knew where the dirt might be hiding :)!!

Night all, need to start and take my shower.

Love to awl,
    Granni (without the dress on) :)!! LOL
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good morning, Porchies,

Granni, I have never imagined you in a granni dress. Guess I'm not as imaginative as the others. I see you in a choir robe. I do like the new maxi dresses and skirts. They are cool in the heat. Barb is wearing one to the doc today as she is having a skin cancer removed from her thigh. They told her to wear a skirt. She had one removed from her arm yesterday. She has been a sun worshiper all her life til now. This is the 3rd skin cancer she has had removed lately and she hasn't had a full body scan. I have mixed feelings about getting one. I had one and it was not very thorough. If I'm gonna get naked in front of someone, I want a good exam. Actually, my face is the only place I've had skin cancer treated and it was with the topical chemo. Doc tells me that women get more skin cancer on the backs of their legs. My daughter had a melanoma removed so I am at higher risk. My tan these days usually comes out of a bottle.

Julie, I think getting organized is so uplifting for anyone. I love it when my condo is all organized with a place for everything and everything in its place. Yes, this virus has gone on too long and I think it'll take the TFs to get rid of it. I'm so sorry about the sores around your mouth. Why not take some colloidal silver in case the sores are caused by something internal. Abbreva gets rid of my cold sores but I'm no sure it's effective against anything but Herpes.

Simon hasn't shown up much lately but guess he was here late, just before dawn, yesterday. The neighbors saw him lying out front of my door. Well, by then, I had gone back to sleep. He's been very sporatic in showing up and in the time he does show up. He looks very well fed so I'm sure he eats somewhere else too. He's not fat but filled out and muscular as a homeless cat would be. He's very fast when he wants to run. He looked up at me this morning from the landing and, in the light from the fixture by my door, I could see his beautiful blue eyes.

If I have enough NRG, I want to get to Home Depot for some mulch. The plumbers finished the work on the backflow valve next door which is actually on our property. They used our electricity and I'll have to buy more mulch to cover the mess they made stomping all over our bushes. Hope they don't need to come out again. The electrician had to come out to fix the control for the fountain in our pond out back. Seems as though all we've done is had workers running around.

I got up feeling pretty good. Don't know when the TFs will kick in. I think I remember it takes a day or so. I have soooo much to do that I need to feel better. Unfortunately, the peptides won't help with a HFV infection. Even so, I am asymptomatic as far as my CFIS, FMS, hypothyroid and Sjogren's go and that should help me be in better shape to fight off this virus. I'm getting excited because after the middle of the month, I can go to the pro shop to find my skates. Woohoo!

That's about it for now. Gotta go read the newspaper online. Tomorrow, I'll get a real paper. I share it with Frank and Ilona downstairs and they recycle it. keeps me from having to go to the recycle center by the dumpster as often. After they leave, I'll be running the paper down all the time. The print is too small for Barb to be able to read it anymore. Sometims, it's darn hard for me to read but my eye doc said strengthening my Rx probably wouldn't help. He can't read the paper anymore himself. Physician, heal thyself!

Have a blessed day, everyone.

Love, Mikie
  10. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Good morning to everydobby,

Julie - That was a pretty flowing dress you posted, calling it a granny dress. That didn't look like a granny dress though, at least not to me. I was rather pretty . If I go shopping I the hot summer, I probably wouldn't wear it as they keep most of the stores down here so COLD with the a/c. I try to remember to always bring a sweater with me, even when it is VERY HOT OUT. I usually freeze in any store I might happen to wander into.

Sorry about your sores on the corners of your mouth. Do you have a old fashioned Carmex for cold sore, chapped lips, etc. around? If so, you might want to try it. Just put it all over your lips with perhaps a little extra in the corners. It has been pretty helpful to me through the years. Lately I have been using it at night and have been keeping it on my night stand.

I remember the days, that do not seem to long ago, when we had very low drawers I the kitchen that were just for the little ones. to play in. Yes, they also have to learn about NO and not going into places that they aren't supposed to go into and could b dangerous, etc. Yes, and give them a pot and a wooden spoon and they would have a blast, also an empty box, especially big ones are real TOYS for them and very cheap :)!! Just remember about "simple pleasures" for them.

Mikie - You need to slow down a bit sweetie. Maybe you will rest a bit today, sounds good. Need to get your NRG and feelng better so you can go skate :)! I am afraid I would fall and break something although it sure looks like fun. DH and I used to roller and ice skate a lot on our dates. Hope you feel better really SOON.

It is quiet now and DH is at a men's breakfast. I finished eating mine at the computer. I am thinking of everyone and need to go and start to get dressed. May do some errands with DH when he gets home.

Thinking of so many of you, Diane, Jole, Spring Water, Rock, Sun, Dar, Windy and on and on. There are also many MIA's that I hope wil pop in one day and post. Pease forgive me for not speaking to everyone individually.

This computer is driving me crazy it has a mind of its own. I didn't submit but I touched something and it submitted. So now I am editing to finish this. GEEZ ALREADY !!
  11. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Julie: Did you get the apple juice concentrate or are you using the apple sauce to take the OoO? I'm sure that you've gotten OoO on the side of your lips and that's what's caused this. After I had used the OoO on a Qtip for as painful tooth I noticed I had gotten some of it on the side of my mouth, down about l/2" OUCH for about a week. I put on some vitamin E oil to heal that part but was very, very careful from that time on. The reason I use the concentrate is I can toss it down quickly and follow with water. Be sure to wash your mouth and lips after using it......it is a very strong product. Glad to hear though that the "gunk" is moving out of your sinus.

Love that dress, I would call it a gypsy style. Actually I'm going to check online for a few summer dresses for me.....lightweight but with a bit of a sleeve to cover my flabby arms. I've checked a few stores around here but have found nothing.

Granni: I've NEVER pictured you in a granni dress......more of a stylish pants and top. Of course your choir robe on sunday. And Mikie, your mode of dress is like mine. Give me a long, loose Tshirt with a Vneck and I'm happy......black of course.......I usually dress in black no matter the season. It's sooooo easy to go to my closet and pick something to wear. I've probably got 20 various black tops, a few peach toned ones, some aqua, and one or two white and that's it.

Rock: can you recommend any good books lately? I've finished one which I enjoyed, but after reading all the scathing reviews, I came away wondering about those reviewers.....picky, picky, picky. Wonder how many novels THOSE reviewers have written?????? Either that or I just dont know what I'm supposed to like.

Mikie : Hope your TF kicks in quickly and knocks out the bug you've got. I need to see a dermatologist for a ton of moles on my back. I saw one quickly about a year ago and she mentioned some were questionable but she left the clinic, and things just started happening around here so I'm once again on the back burner. My DD is having a suspicious mole removed today by the surgeon....the dermatologist didn't want to do it because is was on a muscle on the back of her leg. I had looked at it a few months ago and it didn't look good.....odd shaped. I told her since she obviously would carry some cancer causing genes (husband mother died from ovarian cancer) and she HAS 2 children to consider she needs to get it done NOW.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Wow! Lots of posts since I was last here. I took the TFs yesterday and got up feeling more NRgetic. Well, it's been about 24 hrs. and I'm starting to sweat; that's the first sign that the TFs are working. They are outdated but have been in fridge and I didn't know if they were still good. Gotta say that they are :confused:. Oh well, the worse they make me feel, the faster they will drive this rotten virus into latency. Remember the old joke: What is the difference between love and Herpes? Herpes lasts forever. Well, this isn't that kind of Herpes but all strains of Herpes Viruses last forever. The trick is to keep them in time out. Before I started sweating, I was ironing my tee shirts. My back is aching so I am wearing my brace (shoulda put it on before ironing--DUH!!!

Sunflower Girl, you wardrobe sounds just like mine. We wear the same color tees. The only citrus color I look good in is lime green so I have some of those too. That was good advice to your DD. My DD went from nothing on her side to a melanoma in a month and, can you believe it, the doc wanted to "wait 'n see." She wanted it removed ASAP and it' a good thing she did. So, now we know that her sister and I are at risk as well. I've had precancers removed from my cervix and colon. I guess I'll go get the full body scan. AACK!!!

Granni, I know what you mean about falling and breaking something. Believe me, I'll be taking it easy. I fell off a ladder on my hip at Publix on the concrete floor. I'm lucky I didn't break my hip. Roller skating is easier and the wood floor is not as hard as ice but I just love gliding on ice.

Julie, those little ones can get into trouble in the wink of an eye. We are on the same page when it comes to keeping them safe. I only had two, 22 months apart, but I had my hands full. Hope the mouth sores are better. I did situps the night before my first one was born. I was only 21 and didn't have any better sense :rolleyes:.

Leah, such a nice surprise to see you here. We have missed you but I totally understand the need to talk to others who are bedridden or homebound. When I first got sick, I was bedridden and on morphine most of the time. The good people here kept me sane. I'd have a good day now and then and Mom and I would do our grocery shopping and get my meds. I don't know whether you meditate or believe in chakras but the one for the throat is blue. Sit, or lie, still and imagine a round, spinning, healing blue light in your throat. Feel its warmth as it heals.

Rock, I'm glad Gordon is taking his SS at 65. He'll get his full benefits since he waited and didn't take it at 62. I hope you are feeling well.

Our excitement in the hood isn't over. The plumbers muffed the job next door and the backflow valve blew apart and it was like a geyser shooting in the air. Frank, downstairs, put on his swimming suit and turned the shutoff valve. Water down here costs an arm and a leg. I'd hate to see their water bill. Good thing I haven't put down new mulch where those idiots trampled our bushes when they were last here. I think when we need plumbers, we'll call someone else.

Well, kids, I'm icing my back and cooling myself down a bit. Headache is coming so it's time to take something for that. It's another sign the TFs are working. It's a lot like Herxing when one takes an ABX. It's like good news/bad news.

Wishing y'all a good enough day which, for us, is a blessed day.

Love, Mikie
  13. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

Just back from the chiro and the lib. The street near the chiro's office is torn up again. It's
    been that way almost constantly for the last 6-7 years. No improvements are ever visible.
    Just another reason LA is millions in debt.

I was going to try a book by an author new to me, but when I read the blurb I saw I
    wasn't interested in the subject matter. That library branch had no other books by her.
    But I did look her up on the computer when I got home. Thought I'd put something
    on hold. Turns out all of her other books (7) are available only as electronic books. Uff-da!

Mikie, you iron your T shirts? I didn't know you were a fashionista. I've never ironed
    a T shirt. I did use to iron my dress shirts though. Shortly before I left for college my
    mother taught me to do laundry, iron, sew on a button and play bridge. All valuable skills.
    I expect bridge players nowadays are becoming as rare as shepherds or pinsetters. I was a
    teenage pinsetter once. (Bowling alleys now have mechanical pinsetters.)

Freida, yes, one must keep one's financial house in order. My son used to work for a
    loan company. He told me every young couple who came in for a loan had 5 to ten
    thousand dollars in debt. Most of it on credit cards. And Gordon did his taxes today.
    Every year he does them and I check them. This year I calculated his refund should
    be one dollar more than he figured. Ha Ha! Actually, it doesn't seem to matter much if you get it right or wrong. The government corrects it and notifies you of same.

Sunflower, yes, I can recommend oodles of good writers. That doesn't necessarily mean
    you'll like them though. Ha Ha! Like thrillers? Just read a super one by James Patterson
    called "Quickie". He has written dozens of books. I think one reason he is so prolific is
    that he often has a cowriter.

Like funny thrillers? Carl Hiassen and Dave Barry. Since they are friends I wonder if Carl
    gave Dave some tips. And a third writer who worked for the Miami Harold is John
    Sanford. An Iowa boy. Many of his thrillers are set in Minnesota. (None of them
    are funny.)

I like Fannie Flagg's books. I think the best are "Standing in the Rainbow" and its
    sequel "Can't Wait to get to Heaven".

Julie, nice pic you posted. Looks pretty glamorous for a granni dress. What the heck
    has that model got on her feet? Skates? Sandals? Tattoos? Is the grass long enough
    to mow already? No drag racing now.

Granni, you and various others (you know who you are) keep advising each other to
    slow down. But you are all too kind and responsible to do it yourself. If some organization
    is giving out medals for being good citizens, family members and sports, you will all win.

Jam, you're right. Men have a genetic defect that limits their visual powers. They cannot
    see dirt. Dave Barry has written about this tragic situation. Men are also unable to perceive
    more than 7 or 8 colors. Women, as we all know, can see 8 different shades of white.
    And many of them own shoes in each of those shades.

Virtual Hugs and Kisses to everydobby
    Rock
  14. Darrae

Darrae Member

Hi Rock, Granni, Sun, Windy, Diane, GB, Spring, Barry, Julie, and all on the Porch I may have missed.

I've not been too well, so I'm merely pasting my conversation with Leah to bring all up to speed.

I'm sorry I've been gone so long. I'm not home bound, but I've been horribly ill for the last couple months. Beyond flare. Beyond the normal FM/CFS symptoms. I won't go into details at this point. I'm somewhat better, but still not particularly well, and trying to work through it.

Thank you for inviting me back Frieda. I felt I'd stepped on some toes. I meant no insult to the person who felt I should not post there because I'm not "home bound". It's just that, when I'm not working, that's pretty much what I am. I don't go out. I don't do anything. I don't go anywhere. I spend all my time in bed trying to make myself well enough to go back to work every week to support myself because I have to.

I haven't posted on the Porch for some time either. I've been so nauseated and dizzy that trying to sit up has been a chore. Attempting to look at the computer screen or post has been impossible until maybe the last week. My neck is out so badly that it's affecting my inner ear and causing vertigo. I found that icing from the middle of the back of my head down to my tail bone lessened the discomfort enough for me to sit and post finally. Working has been pure agony. Trying to exercise with residents and do my job while so dizzy and nauseated has been no picnic. And that is just the tip of the medical difficulty iceberg.

I have missed everyone so much! Particularly my dear Frieda. And to GB as well. Thank you for thinking of me. You are such dears and always have such kind things to impart.

I will try to stay in touch more. Thank you Sweet Lady. I wish you all good things. I hope you are doing better and that your voice is still making good progress. I will post more later when I feel some better. That applies to all my dear friends here on the Porch as well.

Love,
    Dar
    Every Artist Was First An Amateur --- Ralph Waldo Emmerson
    Ulcers/gastritis dx 1981 (Treated & healed), Gastric Bypass Surgery, 1983, Arthritis, dx 1984, Hypothyroidism dx 1992, FM dx 1997, Heart Disease dx 2002, Allergies dx 2005 IBS dx 2012, Tunneling septic cyst emergency surgery 2012.

Present course of treatment: Lodine XL 400 mg. 2X's daily, Flexoril 10 mg. 3X's daily, Ambien 10 mg. prn., Supplements too numerous to detail.

Newest additional supplements working well: Magnesium, Selenium, B12, B 1, B6, L-Lysine, Ginger, Cinnamon, Turmeric, Hyland's Calmes Forte (when not taking Ambien), Arnica, Hyland's Nerve Tonic.
  15. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

welcome back Dar......I'm soooooo very sorry you've been having such a hard time. I know what post you're referring to but everyone has issues and sometimes loses it. I don't think she knew what she was saying. Please just let it go and come back and post when you feel up to it.

I totally understand about the neck and dizzies and back. I've lived with that forever and every once in a while I have a total pity party for one. I can sleep on only one side because of positional vertigo that hit me BAD a few years ago. I have a lot of rice filled things and find that I NEED to apply this moist heat to my neck and shoulders, especially in the mornings otherwise I'm out of it. It must be He** living with it and having to go to work.

Well I talked to the oncologist nurse today who gave me more ideas on how to help my DH. I've bought papaya enzymes, almond milk, chamomile tea, taken away all milk products and instructed him on what he cannot eat. The list is getting longer and longer since there's already things he can't eat because of his blood thinner shots. Right now he's lying down with a rice filled pad on his stomach. We took the vows 46 years ago.....for better or for worse.....when we got married, but it never said anything about being a nurse, dietician, or psychotherapist. The problem is I'm thinking he might be developing an eating disorder because he's afraid of FOOD and how he's going to feel.

Thank goodness I get much joy from watching Modern Family. I ordered a ton of their back shows and it's a complete session every evening of laughter for me.
  16. springwater

springwater Member

Sun - i feel like that about The Big Bang Theory...takes my mind off worrisome thoughts for
    a while. i saw your beautiful plants in the Homebound thread pic...just loved it, and the clarity
    of the photo..thought i could put out my hand and feel the delicate plants, what a curious
    looking plant the creamy orangish one was!!!

Mikie - thought about the flying saucer shaped chilli plant you described, weird and
    wonderful the plant kingdom is...i hate when things stop working, utilities n all.
    sigh, unfortunately, living in a home and having a vehicle, one has to expect such...
    our old car just came back from repairs and servicing and is probably again going
    to need some looking at since SIL dhs sis, took it for a gruelling road trip pilgrimage.

Dar - im sorry to hear you hv been so ill, had been wondering. thought you might hv
    been extra busy given the nature of your work..pls rest and Mikie and Sun too..

Julie - what a pretty dress, its what i would ve worn, when younger out to a party,
    ive always loved chiffony swirly flirty long dresses and that print and those colours!
    and the model was SO pretty, loved her hair..i hope the colloidal silver helps with
    the mouth sores, used get those when a child, and they were so painful! stingy
    when opening mouth to eat or drink.

Rock - i think the model was wearing Roman Sandal type slippers...i had a pair
    which had string to tie up at ankle and my daughter used to call them my Julius
    Caesar slippers...all my shoes are flatter than flat types because my legs ache if i
    wear heels, i have a couple of heeled ones for parties but they have, of late, been -
    well, cooling their heels in the closet.

Granni - wish we could hear your group sing...it must be fun when performing
    although i know getting to and fro to performances and practises is tiring..
    i wish they had a/c here, in all the stores, in summer.. ive had to come out
    of restaurants without ordering because theyve been SO HOT in there.

Freida - i think the Homebound thread is so interesting, lots to identify with..
    the sense of frustration of not being able to make plans in advance because
    body might act up that day, or the gradual isolation from people one knows..
    because one is not able to keep up. But also, seeing people coping and finding
    things to feel joyful about even in the limitations the DD puts on them..its
    somehow inspiring and comforting.

well, i did make it to my friends DILs funeral and she gave me money for prayers
    and i and my healer friend went and visited five different monasteries, it
    was so HOT but we stopped in between for ice cream and then lunch and i
    made it, just about. but after that, i went and collapsed on my bed at home and
    stayed collapsed for coupla hours...this body is not the body ive known for some
    time... the meditations i used to do had really helped take the edge of how exhausted
    i'd get! havent done them for months n months , i guess i better re start...i do NOT
    want to feel like a fish taken out of water after a few hours of walking!!!

yesterday the newspaper and junk pedlar guy phoned and i got him to sweep the dust
    off the cornices in some rooms and the fans where its difficult to reach. gave him
    our old newspapers and an old rusted tap in exchange.

i meant to go visit SIL at MILs place but too tired. later found out my DH had dropped in
    and they were also resting after coming back from pilgrimage.

well, lights hv come on..better go do some ironing..

take care, all

Julie - just saw yr post while editing...sorry Lindsey is feeling unwell again and you
    hv to exert yourself again while still trying to recover..

God bless
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hey, Rock, good to see you here. The kinds of tee shirts I iron are not the usual casual tees. The ones I wear are just a tad dressier; is that an oxymoron? I don't iron the Denver Nuggets nor Jimmy Buffet Margarita tee shirts I sleep and work in. A lot of my tees have scoop or vee necks which are misshapen if not ironed. Some of them have pin tucks or glitz on them. I only wear those when I go out shopping. Just as women can see many shades of color, we can see many levels of dressiness, even in tee shirts. Perhaps I should call them knit tops. The all cotton ones, even the dressy ones, are a lot cooler than the blended fabrics which do not wrinkle. I like natural fabrics in my clothing and my furnishings.

I feel so bad to think LA, and other parts of CA, are in financial trouble. When I was growing up, listening to The Beach Boys, CA was the land of golden opportunity, surfing, beaches, tans, gorgeous people, etc. After visiting, I found the flat yellow sun there made me depressed. I was used to the thin air in CO which was bright and clear. The sun here in FL is like in CO. Well, it's the same sun but y'all know what I mean. My DSIL and I were discussing how strange it is that the skies here, including the clouds, are so similar to CO's. He's a pilot and pilots tend to notice those things. I can't remember a time when I didn't have my head in the clouds nor a time I didn't look up when a plane flew over. I did have SAD in CO, even though there are more than 300 days of sunshine there. I went to the tanning beds in the wintertime to improve my mood. I think it was more the deadness of the flora than the sun which affected me.

There is the occasional man who is a clean freak. My ex had a single friend who cleaned his apt. on his hands and knees. He finally married and I told him I never thought he'd find a woman who could clean a toilet up to his stds. I think one of the nice things about being rich is being able to have staff to cook and clean. How much of our lives are taken up by these activities. Now, some people enjoy doing these things but I think a lot of us would like some help. In my next life, I want to come back filthy rich (but not famous) with a beautiful apt. in NYC and be so thin the doc tells me I have to eat. Then, if I were to give away a lot of my fortune, I would have it all. Unfortunately, Karma and spiritual growth don't seem to work that way. Seems as we grow in spirit, we choose more challenging lives in order to grow spiritually. I once read that these young misguided celebs are new souls who don't "get it" yet.

Now, if this is true, and I believe it is, we should embrace our challenges because we chose them before incarnating into these lives. My heroes are people with terrible physical, financial, and emotional challenges. This philosophy doesn't answer all questions but I believe that's by design. We can't see the big picture in these earthbound confines so we just have to operate on faith and trust. If my philosophy offends or upsets anyone, please, just skip this part. Otherwise, I'd welcome discussion on how others see our challenges. We all certainly have enough of them so that everyone has earned my admiration, especially at how so many here handle lives as limited as some of ours are.

As always, sending love, hugs and prayers to everyone.

Love, Mikie
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Wow! There was a whole page of new posts that I didn't see when I came here.

Dar, I am so very sorry that you are ill and had to suffer insult on top of injury on the other forum. I just posted a sticky post to, hopefully, put a stop to any exclusivity anyone feels against anyone posting who isn't permanently housebound or bedridden. If anyone would have clicked on "Report," I could have removed the offending post(s). Since I don't have time to search out the offender(s), I just decided to post a sticky inclusive note. I hope you are feeling better.

Sunflower Girl, I think your using TV to help you escape, even for a little while, from your situation is a healthy and creative way to handle things. No, you cannot possibly be everything to DH. Use the professionals to help him and don't let this make things any worse for you than they already are. This kind of stress is the worst thing for us. As always, my prayers are with you.

Springwater, "Big Bang Theory" is one of my favorite escape shows. I get such laughs out of those geeks, possibly because I worked with some guys just like them who had no clue that they were geeks. I have to repot the pepper plants as they are taking over. I just hope the original plant wasn't some kind of hybrid that cannot be reproduced from the pepper seeds. I know these plants are from Latin America. All my other plants are doing so well but it's getting hot enough that I have to water our flower boxes every day until our rainy season brings afternoon rains. I'm the only one who cares for our plants. I purposely chose ones which need almost no care but our flower boxes are elevated and the sprinklers don't reach them. Also, we only run the sprinklers twice a week, once during rainy season. The attitude is "We didn't retire so we could do work." Loving and caring for plants isn't work for me except when I'm sick. They all enjoy the beauty around the bldg. but once when I asked whether one supposed friend would walk down the short distance to the other flower box to water it when I was bent over in pain, she said hautily, "No is my job." I've taken care of her plants for her many times. I am always shocked at the attitude some people take. They think it's my own fault for being sick. I know we have all encountered this from supposed friends and family but it still stings. This is the only place where others know how we feel and what we have to endure from others. I feel as though I have no real friends. When someone needs something that they can understand, they will line up to help. They just don't "get" these illnesses. I think if more people believed in Karma, the world would be a nicer place. Thanks for letting me vent.

Julie, I hope you slept well and feel better. As always, I hope you don't get yourself run down.

OK, gotta go. Talk to y'all later.

Love, Mikie
  19. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Good afternoon to all my dear Porchies,

Not much time to post now but it was nice read al those posts. When DH leaves to go to the last fish fry I will go with him. I will meet another wife there and we will go shop or at last look around. Not sure I will buy a thing :)! I will be nice to have some girl conversation.

Dar and Mikie - Sorry that Dar had that awful problem with a poster on that board. In fact I butted in ( not really) but I did post on the bed and homebound board not to long ago. Luckily, no one said anything. Shouldn't we all be there for each other whether we are home or bed bond or not?? That wasn't very nice for someone to try and chase you away or say something mean or not to nice. Maybe it is time for a moderator to step in if it hasn't already:)!!!

Mikie - I'm not ironing t shirts either :)!!!! In fact I do as little ironing as possible ! I have gotten to really hate it and I used to have to do so much.

Gotta get ready to go.

Love to EVERYDOBBY,
    Granni
  20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Julie, you said it soooo well. Many of us who are now able to function better were once where the bedridden and homebound are today. We do know only too well the fear and frustration and wondering whether we would get better, worse, stay the same... Julie, I know you've had the crud and so have I lately. I've had my bedridden days and am very grateful that it's only been for days. For me, early on, it was years. Only through the kindness of our family here, my own research and my wonderful docs was I able to heal. I'll never be 100 percent but few people my age are.

Granni, I know you also have challenges to deal with and yet you still give so much to others. We are all in different stages and places but most of us understand what these illnesses can be at their worst. When I'm sick and bedridden, I get a kick out of hearing what you are doing. You too, Julie. BTW, Granni, if I put my tees in the dryer, I wouldn't need to iron them but I've had some shrink horribly, even just tumbling them when they are almost dry.

Leah, I hope people actually see my sticky post and remove the offending posts and act nicer to one another. As I said, no one is "ratting someone out" by clicking on "Report." It simply means I don't have to go searching through many posts to see whether something needs to be removed, someone warned--whatever. Spammers are an annoyance but people posting unkind things actually hurt others with their words, even when they don't mean to but are just in pain or having a bad day. We want to stop that kind of thing before it even gets started.

I showered and went to Bealls. They had accessories for "Buy One, Get One for $1. I wear a lot of khaki Capris. I found a Boho Chic braided khaki necklace with row after row of colored beads wound around it in the middle. I got the bracelet, which had been the same price, for $1. This will allow me to take a basic pair of Capris and a tee and kick it up a notch.

I ran into two friends from the hood and we went out to eat. We had a good time. I stopped at Publix and bought the new OTC Nasacort. It was $15. Publix has virtual coupons you click on on their website before shopping. I had clicked on that and then found another one in a brochure at the store. I also had a Target coupon which they accept. So, between the three coupons, I saved $9 on my $15 Nasacort. I'm not a coupon queen but, every now and then, I get a really good deal.

Their new fabric softener is now much, much more watery. I water it down even further and it still gets the clothes soft and doesn't leave a sticky scum in the dispenser. It's the little things which give me pleasure.

Well, gonna go start a new Porch. Please don't post any more here. Look for Porch Volume 698. Thanks

Love, Mikie