The Porchlight Vol. 697 IS CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Apr 8, 2014.

1. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Oh goodness...Dar, I have been thinking of you and was so worried that you weren't doing well. Your job involves the wearing of so many different "hats".

I understand a little bit about what you are saying...when I worked, it was all I could do to drag myself there and back each day. I would often go to bed before supper and not wake up till my alarm went off the next morning...to do it all over again.

I hope things settle down for you a bit, and you start to feel much better.

Sun...yes, we do take on lots of different roles in marriage, don't we? I'm sorry this is turning out to be such a rough road for you and your hubby. Good for you, for talking to the nurse to see what else you can do for him...I can imagine he would be very "skittish" when it comes to eating things...the fear of possibly getting sick can be a very strong thing.

Spring, you popped in while I was typing...a big hello to you, too!

Hi to everyone else...I am pooped, but hopefully can recharge overnight. Lindsey was feeling pretty rough today (just when I was getting hopeful that she was going to be okay) She had a migraine-type headache all day, and the twins wouldn't nap for her.

I took Lorraine to and from preschool, washed all their bedding (cause Lorraine had wet the bed last night), took apart the crib (Lindsey hasn't used it for months), fixed supper and did a little bit of cleaning. Trying to figure out how I am supposed to "step back" and let her handle things on her own...my problems, and I've got to deal with them myself...just "thinking out loud."

Take care everyone...will check in tomorrow...might be later in the day as I have a care plan meeting for my dad at the care center, then will visit with him a bit.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hey, Rock, good to see you here. The kinds of tee shirts I iron are not the usual casual tees. The ones I wear are just a tad dressier; is that an oxymoron? I don't iron the Denver Nuggets nor Jimmy Buffet Margarita tee shirts I sleep and work in. A lot of my tees have scoop or vee necks which are misshapen if not ironed. Some of them have pin tucks or glitz on them. I only wear those when I go out shopping. Just as women can see many shades of color, we can see many levels of dressiness, even in tee shirts. Perhaps I should call them knit tops. The all cotton ones, even the dressy ones, are a lot cooler than the blended fabrics which do not wrinkle. I like natural fabrics in my clothing and my furnishings.

I feel so bad to think LA, and other parts of CA, are in financial trouble. When I was growing up, listening to The Beach Boys, CA was the land of golden opportunity, surfing, beaches, tans, gorgeous people, etc. After visiting, I found the flat yellow sun there made me depressed. I was used to the thin air in CO which was bright and clear. The sun here in FL is like in CO. Well, it's the same sun but y'all know what I mean. My DSIL and I were discussing how strange it is that the skies here, including the clouds, are so similar to CO's. He's a pilot and pilots tend to notice those things. I can't remember a time when I didn't have my head in the clouds nor a time I didn't look up when a plane flew over. I did have SAD in CO, even though there are more than 300 days of sunshine there. I went to the tanning beds in the wintertime to improve my mood. I think it was more the deadness of the flora than the sun which affected me.

There is the occasional man who is a clean freak. My ex had a single friend who cleaned his apt. on his hands and knees. He finally married and I told him I never thought he'd find a woman who could clean a toilet up to his stds. I think one of the nice things about being rich is being able to have staff to cook and clean. How much of our lives are taken up by these activities. Now, some people enjoy doing these things but I think a lot of us would like some help. In my next life, I want to come back filthy rich (but not famous) with a beautiful apt. in NYC and be so thin the doc tells me I have to eat. Then, if I were to give away a lot of my fortune, I would have it all. Unfortunately, Karma and spiritual growth don't seem to work that way. Seems as we grow in spirit, we choose more challenging lives in order to grow spiritually. I once read that these young misguided celebs are new souls who don't "get it" yet.

Now, if this is true, and I believe it is, we should embrace our challenges because we chose them before incarnating into these lives. My heroes are people with terrible physical, financial, and emotional challenges. This philosophy doesn't answer all questions but I believe that's by design. We can't see the big picture in these earthbound confines so we just have to operate on faith and trust. If my philosophy offends or upsets anyone, please, just skip this part. Otherwise, I'd welcome discussion on how others see our challenges. We all certainly have enough of them so that everyone has earned my admiration, especially at how so many here handle lives as limited as some of ours are.

As always, sending love, hugs and prayers to everyone.

Love, Mikie
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Wow! There was a whole page of new posts that I didn't see when I came here.

Dar, I am so very sorry that you are ill and had to suffer insult on top of injury on the other forum. I just posted a sticky post to, hopefully, put a stop to any exclusivity anyone feels against anyone posting who isn't permanently housebound or bedridden. If anyone would have clicked on "Report," I could have removed the offending post(s). Since I don't have time to search out the offender(s), I just decided to post a sticky inclusive note. I hope you are feeling better.

Sunflower Girl, I think your using TV to help you escape, even for a little while, from your situation is a healthy and creative way to handle things. No, you cannot possibly be everything to DH. Use the professionals to help him and don't let this make things any worse for you than they already are. This kind of stress is the worst thing for us. As always, my prayers are with you.

Springwater, "Big Bang Theory" is one of my favorite escape shows. I get such laughs out of those geeks, possibly because I worked with some guys just like them who had no clue that they were geeks. I have to repot the pepper plants as they are taking over. I just hope the original plant wasn't some kind of hybrid that cannot be reproduced from the pepper seeds. I know these plants are from Latin America. All my other plants are doing so well but it's getting hot enough that I have to water our flower boxes every day until our rainy season brings afternoon rains. I'm the only one who cares for our plants. I purposely chose ones which need almost no care but our flower boxes are elevated and the sprinklers don't reach them. Also, we only run the sprinklers twice a week, once during rainy season. The attitude is "We didn't retire so we could do work." Loving and caring for plants isn't work for me except when I'm sick. They all enjoy the beauty around the bldg. but once when I asked whether one supposed friend would walk down the short distance to the other flower box to water it when I was bent over in pain, she said hautily, "No is my job." I've taken care of her plants for her many times. I am always shocked at the attitude some people take. They think it's my own fault for being sick. I know we have all encountered this from supposed friends and family but it still stings. This is the only place where others know how we feel and what we have to endure from others. I feel as though I have no real friends. When someone needs something that they can understand, they will line up to help. They just don't "get" these illnesses. I think if more people believed in Karma, the world would be a nicer place. Thanks for letting me vent.

Julie, I hope you slept well and feel better. As always, I hope you don't get yourself run down.

OK, gotta go. Talk to y'all later.

Love, Mikie
  4. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Hi Mikie and everyone! I'm looking forward to the nice weather today (high in the upper 60's) and a high of 75 tomorrow!!! Thunderstorms tomorrow, though, but we need rain too. The sun is shining right now and that seems to make it feel much warmer...now, if the wind isn't blowing too bad, it will be perfect!

Mikie, vent away, dear friend...we all understand...and have had similar situations at different times.

As far as the other board goes...I have been meaning to pop over and just say "Hi" to everyone. I doubt anyone who is home or bed bound wants to hear about my days of chasing after grandkids, organizing buildings, yardwork, etc., etc. I have even had people question if I really do have CFS...all I know is that is what I was diagnosed with. In the early years of my illness, I had to literally lie down (even on the floor, in the middle of cleaning someone else's house.)

I am doing so much better than I did back then...my point is that many of us, at times, have been in similar situations of being unable to do the things we wanted or felt we should...and had no idea if things would get any better...all we could do was hope, and research, etc. It is a helpless, very frustrating feeling...and I'm sure Dar knows it only too well.

I do feel more rested this morning...going to get ready to go see my daddy. I didn't go in at all last week because of this crud, but am feeling much better now...not 100%, but I don't think I am contagious.

Apparently, he finally got his beard and mustache shaved since I saw him last. He's been wearing a full "Santa" beard for quite awhile, but every time I visit he tells me he wants to get it shaved. So, I make arrangements...but when the gal from the beauty/barber shop gets him, he only lets her take a tiny bit off.

Something must have clicked last week...I talked to a nurse and she told me he is clean-shaven now...good thing, as he was getting food stuck in his beard and mustache and it really looked bad. With Alzheimer's Disease, it is a matter of timing, among other things...

Have a great Friday and weekend, everyone!
  5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Good afternoon to all my dear Porchies,

Not much time to post now but it was nice read al those posts. When DH leaves to go to the last fish fry I will go with him. I will meet another wife there and we will go shop or at last look around. Not sure I will buy a thing :)! I will be nice to have some girl conversation.

Dar and Mikie - Sorry that Dar had that awful problem with a poster on that board. In fact I butted in ( not really) but I did post on the bed and homebound board not to long ago. Luckily, no one said anything. Shouldn't we all be there for each other whether we are home or bed bond or not?? That wasn't very nice for someone to try and chase you away or say something mean or not to nice. Maybe it is time for a moderator to step in if it hasn't already:)!!!

Mikie - I'm not ironing t shirts either :)!!!! In fact I do as little ironing as possible ! I have gotten to really hate it and I used to have to do so much.

Gotta get ready to go.

Love to EVERYDOBBY,
    Granni
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Julie, you said it soooo well. Many of us who are now able to function better were once where the bedridden and homebound are today. We do know only too well the fear and frustration and wondering whether we would get better, worse, stay the same... Julie, I know you've had the crud and so have I lately. I've had my bedridden days and am very grateful that it's only been for days. For me, early on, it was years. Only through the kindness of our family here, my own research and my wonderful docs was I able to heal. I'll never be 100 percent but few people my age are.

Granni, I know you also have challenges to deal with and yet you still give so much to others. We are all in different stages and places but most of us understand what these illnesses can be at their worst. When I'm sick and bedridden, I get a kick out of hearing what you are doing. You too, Julie. BTW, Granni, if I put my tees in the dryer, I wouldn't need to iron them but I've had some shrink horribly, even just tumbling them when they are almost dry.

Leah, I hope people actually see my sticky post and remove the offending posts and act nicer to one another. As I said, no one is "ratting someone out" by clicking on "Report." It simply means I don't have to go searching through many posts to see whether something needs to be removed, someone warned--whatever. Spammers are an annoyance but people posting unkind things actually hurt others with their words, even when they don't mean to but are just in pain or having a bad day. We want to stop that kind of thing before it even gets started.

I showered and went to Bealls. They had accessories for "Buy One, Get One for $1. I wear a lot of khaki Capris. I found a Boho Chic braided khaki necklace with row after row of colored beads wound around it in the middle. I got the bracelet, which had been the same price, for $1. This will allow me to take a basic pair of Capris and a tee and kick it up a notch.

I ran into two friends from the hood and we went out to eat. We had a good time. I stopped at Publix and bought the new OTC Nasacort. It was $15. Publix has virtual coupons you click on on their website before shopping. I had clicked on that and then found another one in a brochure at the store. I also had a Target coupon which they accept. So, between the three coupons, I saved $9 on my $15 Nasacort. I'm not a coupon queen but, every now and then, I get a really good deal.

Their new fabric softener is now much, much more watery. I water it down even further and it still gets the clothes soft and doesn't leave a sticky scum in the dispenser. It's the little things which give me pleasure.

Well, gonna go start a new Porch. Please don't post any more here. Look for Porch Volume 698. Thanks

Love, Mikie
  7. springwater

springwater Member

Freida

after reading Dars post, i went over to Homebound but didnt see any offensive
    post, i dont know which it was or was it taken off or what..

im sorry if you felt you had to post anything re people being welcome,

Dar - pls dont mind, we all of us here understand how this DD would
    affect the daily functioning of anyone afflicted with it..it does take
    its toll and to a horrific extent sometimes, more power to you for
    keeping on going and NOT letting the DD rule you completely.

God bless