The Porchlight Vol. 858 IS CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Dec 26, 2015.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

The porchlight is on. Join the party.

Christmas at our house was quiet. We did get a call last night from an old
    friend. The one I mentioned in connection with Ralph Blane. He just flew
    in from Atlanta. Wants to go to lunch today. Gordon will go. Don't know
    if I will. Don't gots no energy, and there isn't much I could eat except
    maybe a bowl of clear soup.

Talked to my brother in Minnesota last night. He and his family will
    be getting together with much of his wife's family today.

I hope everydobby had a good Christmas, and is not all worn out.

2. rockgor

Hi Kids

Brrr! It's cold here. The weather channel says "44 degrees; feels like 40".
    Supposed to be 61 and sunny later. I'd feel a lot warmer if I didn't have to
    take my gloves off to type.

It's been pretty cold (for Calif.) here the last couple nights. Gordon had
    been planning to put old sheets over some of the orchids, but it's been
    too windy. It's not generally a problem. It's when it's both cold and damp
    that the orchids are unhappy.

Well, the good news is my nights are warmer. I got an electric
    blanket. What a difference! I can't remember if I ever had one
    back in Minnesota or not. I'm pretty sure my folks did.

I was hoping to watch Lucy this morning, but no. Gordon says she
    won't be back until the New Year.

Mikie, sounds like your condo looks very spiffy. Can you post a pic?
    I read that Judge Judy makes 45 million a year. I can't understand
    her appeal. Maybe it's because I appeared in front of so many
    bad tempered judges when I was working. The worst was an old
    man who could have been a character actor in years past to play
    ornery old grumps. After the hearing another attorney said to me,
    "Didn't you know? If you don't speak Yiddish you don't appear in front
    of him."

I never heard of Red Rocks Ampitheater until someone posted a pic
    of it in one of our games on the Homebound Board. Mighta been
    Diane. Sounds like a cool place to attend a concert. Here In LA
    we have the Hollywood Bowl and the John Anson Ford Theater.
    They are both outdoor theaters in the Cahunga Pass (near Holllywood).

John Anson Ford was a county Supervisor who was involved in
    many art projects including the Dorothy Chandler Music Center
    which consists of three theaters. The Academy Awards programs
    used to be broadcast from there.

When I handled a case involving a lady who fell down the steps, I
    discovered the builder did not comply with the building code.
    Yikes! That's the kind of case to settle fast before it gets worse.)

Granni, you're lucky to have a son who could help with computer
    glitches. Gordon and I spent 15 minutes trying to get a DVD to
    play yesterday. Sometimes there's no problems. Other times
    one has to go through the same rigmoroll over and over until
    it suddenly works. AACCK!

Hugs Diane, Sun, Barry, Julie, Springwater, Windy Talker.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

ROCK - Thanks for starting us up again. Just trying to make some order around here. Put away the presents that we both new were getting :)!! Saved the good cards with letters in them especially from family that we rarely see if at all.

After church tomorrow I will possibly put a few more things away. I like to keep some stuff up much later than DH. He could put everything away the day after Christmas but at home my mom used to leave a lot of the stuff up till Jan 6th (Little Christmas in Europe, I believe. ) I like some of the stuff up till about after New Years.

Hope everydobby has a great day after Christmas and that no one is sick, or should I say sicker than usual. Need to do some research on the computer and write a note to our doc about DH's bloodwork.

Thinking of everyone and hope no one is exhausted from the extra chores, etc.

JULIE - Did you hear those animals talk New Years Eve??? Wanted to get back on here and post on the new thread so I can get it on my phone. To bad that we cannot click or check off the whole Porch threads as they continue if wanted but have to check off each time if I want to get them on the phone since I am not always on the computer all the time :)!!

Love to awl,
    Granni :)
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Just taking a break. I've been cleaning and it's going faster than I thought it would. I'm vacuuming and I used the floor scrubber on my tile. It's spick 'n span sparkling clean. I still have some deep cleaning to do under furniture, I still need to clean out the front office and I need to organize some paperwork but, at least, everything looks clean (except that front room). It's really difficult to keep everything clean with these two little fur balls shedding all over the place. They love it when I clean. They've gotten very brave and don't run from the floor machines as they used to do. They get so frisky when I clean that if I clap my hands, they will run around like dogs.

I sat out on the balcony having coffee this morning. My downstairs neighbor couldn't come up because she had to feed and walk her dog and get ready to go shopping. You couldn't pay me enough to go out in the after-Christmas shopping crowds. It's not just the hordes of people, it's the hordes of people, half of them sick and spreading their germs. AACCKK!!! I will go out tomorrow to try to find something to plant in our big olla pots in front. I want something purple but not something messy. It has to take full sun. The red geraniums in our flower boxes on the landing rails are beautiful. They both have lots of bright red blooms and the variegated vines are thick and hanging over the edges of the boxes. Red flowers anywhere near the doors are very good Feng Shui.

Joe came over and sat a while with me. He said he'll be staying away from Barb when her kids are here. Almost no one here likes them. As they did last year, they rented a house for a month. Yikes!!! This one is about 20 miles down the coast so, hopefully, they won't be hanging around as much as last year. They will be here Wed. so I'm moving my chairs off the balcony on Tues. At least, this year, I'll have Ilona and Frank downstairs while they are here. They are less likely to be so nasty if others are around. It's horrible to live like this but I'll get through it. Spring's spiritual hints have already helped me so much.

Rock, thanks for getting us up and going. I closed out the title on the last Porch. I'm sooooo glad you got an electric blankey. Did Santa bring that to you? I always used one in CO in the wintertime. I also slept on flannel sheets. I once made the mistake of wearing flannel jammies and they stuck to the sheets like Velcro. As soon as I've finished my cleaning, I'll start on the sewing for the new valance. I still would like to pick up some twisted silk edging in turquoise. If I can't find that, I may opt for cream to match the background of the print. It just finishes the top of the valance beautifully.

I'm not a big Judge Judy fan nor a fan of all the other court room shows. I think all those paternity shows with the people fighting and screaming at one another are horrible. When I see what people watch, it makes me fear for the future of our country. Those people have probably always been with us. It's just that now, they have something to watch. I've had PBS on as I clean. Lots of cooking shows and This Old House--my favorite kinds of shows. Baking With Julia was on with Julia Child. I miss her but we will always have her with us, due to reruns. Just like with Lucy. I missed the colorized Lucy shows on this week. I did catch the colorized Mayberry shows.

Hi, Granni, was Santa good to you? I hope so. Like you, I enjoy having things up for a few days after Christmas. This year, however, the wreath on my door is the only decoration I put up. I'll probably take it down on Tues., when I bring in my chairs. I have a beautiful wreath with seashells on it I got at Bed Bath & Beyond. I'll leave it up until it's time to put up the Easter wreath with the speckled eggs on it. Then, the seashell wreath goes back up until it's time to put out the fall wreath. Before I know it, a whole year has gone by. I have not heard of Little Christmas. I'll have to look it up. The only gift I have to put away is the gift I bought myself--my circular saw. It's still in the box on the floor.

Well, Kiddies, I had better get back to work. I'm soooo close now. Thank God I have gotten a bit of NRG so I'm not living in my own filth. AAACCCKKK!!!

Love, Mikie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Morning, Porchies,

Hope y'all are doing well. I just fell again--Duh! I had put a heavy box on my area rug in the living room to flatten it out and I fell over it. I fell on my left arm this time but it's not broken. Good grief! I'm killin' myself here. Just a wee bit of cleaning to do so I'll be able to get it done. That is, except for cleaning out the front office. That will take a bit of effort. So will cleaning out my paperwork. I'll stay home today to finish what I have to do.

Tomorrow, I'm off to try to find some flowers for the large olla pots in front. I also need to pick up a day planner refill for 2016 at Staples. Seems as though I just did that. Time is flying by. I thought that was only supposed to happen when one is having fun. When does the fun start? Whine, whine, whine!

Hope the newspaper comes today. It didn't on Christmas so it was delivered late to me and Grace later in the morning. I'll start reading it online so I'll be done with that and ready for the retail inserts. I also always do the New York Times crossword puzzle. Leaving y'all with my love, hugs and prayers.

Love, Mikie
  6. rockgor

Hi Kids

Woke up around 2:30 AM. Gordon's brother had already left. Presumably
    for work. Or maybe he went to the gym first. Usually he gets up at 3AM,
    but one never knows. His hours vary. Even the days he works vary. Hard
    to keep track of the big lug.

Mikie, what are you doing?! You already collect plants and kitties. No
    need to collect owies. How is your other arm now? And what about the
    triangular gash on your leg? I guess your latest didn't require first aid,

Yes, you're right. Or more precisely, I agree. The older I get the
    faster time whizzes by. Yes, we have to start thinking and writing
    2016 now. At the office I used to tell the head secretary every new
    year to put out a memo and remind the secretaries of the change.
    The problem was we used a lot of form letters, and it was just too
    easy to have the printer crank one out without bothering about
    the correct year.

Speaking of which, I got a Christmas card from that same secretary
    with a two page (form) letter. She is working for another firm now.
    She and DH replaced their lawn in the San Fernando Valley with
    gravel to save water, and many of their neighbors are doing the same.

Her hubby is doing something in the back yard with paths and a
    pergola. Pergolas look like gazebos to me. I looked up the two.
    Apparently the gazebo is a more substantial structure. It has a
    solid roof that will shelter you from sun or rain.

I can remember the first time I noticed the year change. We went
    from 1946 to 1947. I was in first grade. In our school you wrote
    the date in the upper right hand corner of every paper you handed
    in until you left the hallowed halls of Ivy forever. I went back
    twice. Once to a reunion and once to show the place to my son. The
    picture of our class (44 kids) was still hanging on the wall along with
    all the other classes. My son's comment. "Is that really you, Dad?"

Well, Kids, hope you all have a good day.

Here's a pergola pic. Some of them look like a trellis or arch.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  7. bct

bct Active Member

Hi kids, cats and canines. Hope you are all feeling frisky and peppy. I'm not!

I can complain again about the rain, but we need it so I won't. Still, grey and drear brings no cheer.
    I've read my newspaper - 'The Guardian'- a British newspaper, and also BBC News and it too is depressing. The Pope's message was spot on --- consumerism and greed are the bane. The children want more, more, and so do the adults. I am not Catholic but I like this man and what he has to say. I wish more self-called "Christians"would listen to him, and act appropriately. There are a lot of people that need help, people living on the streets, without hope. Please help them.

Rock, you keep strange hours. Are you a night owl? As for the pergola pic., I had one very similar in construction that I covered with shade cloth and used as a propagation area, and growing on of the hardier plants --- think 100+ named Sempervivums and countless Sedums :eek:.

Mikie, I don't understand how your condo keeps getting dirty! You seem to be always cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. Are you OCD or are things really dirty down there in Fla? You wear me out lady! :rolleyes:

Gotta go, R is going to house clean now; I shall retire to my book.

8. Granniluvsu

Hi BARRY, MIKIE et al,

Just popping in on this rainy day. Woke up early to DH saying we are not going to are church there are tornadoes around the area. Well, there were some that disappeared that were around here. I has been raining on and off;. We plan on going to church at 5 pm if the weather doesn't get worse. it is supposed to get much colder too some time today. There have been some terrible tornadoes in TX , AL , and maybe OK too, not sure. When you hear about those things you sit up and take notice. All I hear right now is some thunder in the distance. Looking at the terrible damage done by those tornadoes it is so very sad for those who lost almost everything.

MIKIE - You are wearing me out to listening to all the work you are doing in your house. Hope you don't pay for it later. I would love to see a pic of your new and improved living space.

I really do need to get off here and do some more stuff around here. I have no idea if we will make church or not if the weather is getting worse again. I actually did go into my sheet cabinet which is under the sink and doesn't have much room in it. I removed a lot of usable and maybe not so usable sheets, pillow cases etc and will donate them to one of the groups that come by every month or so. I actually got another good set from Sams Club . They and another set I have that are not cheap are the only ones that have lasted any time. Some of the cheap ones rip when you put them on the first time and others that are like real silky feel just slip right off the bed and won't stay on, even the fitted sheet. The ones from Sams were not very cheap but they had a sale and they are really made well. We got one the year before, same type and they are still doing well.

JULIE - Hope you are feeling well and enjoying your holidays even though none of the little ones are around right now. You are kept so busy I don't know you had time for little ones anyway . Now is your time to take care of Gpas and dear Den, and hopefully yourself too.

Hope SUN is having a great vacation and have no idea of when she will return but hope she has a safe trip home with lots of good tales to tell. Hope all is well with SW too with all the things her country is going through now. Need to think about supper in case we go to church first.

Bye for now. We go to pick up our new Toyota tomorrow. That will be interesting driving it home with all the gadgets. Glad DH is driving it home first:)!!!!

9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Morning, Kids,

Kitties had me up at 4:00 again this morning. No wonder I can't stay awake past 7:00 in the evening. I will go to the pool today to work out but don't think my compadrettes will join me. One is on a cruise and the other seems to have lost the will to do it. She is the one who needs it the most for all her back pain which radiates into her hips and legs. One is up North for the holidays and the other has a bad knee. Another has family in the area and is too busy. I am so pasty again because it hasn't been sunny enough to sit out after I run in the pool. I may have to dig out some tan in a bottle. After the pool, I'm off to try to find some flowers and vines for the olla pots. Several of the small bushes in our stairwell atrium have yellowing leaves which are falling off. I need to notify the landscaper. I don't remember what they are called. They get pretty yellow flowers but I doubt the leaves are supposed to be yellow.

I also need to pick up some groceries. I'd like to go to Costco but just hate the Snowbird crowds this time of year. It isn't really even the store itself; it's the miserably misdesigned parking lot and access and egress. Staples is in the same strip mall so I might be able to kill two birds with one stone. I may also stop in at Home Goods to see whether I can find a heavy Dutch oven. I had one once but got rid of it years ago when I was too sick and weak to lift it. At least, I can lift one now. I guess that's progress. So many good braised meals can be made in one. Lately, the cook shows have been baking bread in them. One is a yeast bread which requires no kneading.

Rock, a lot of the home improvement shows I watch put in pergolas over patio slabs. They are nice but I think something with a roof would be a better choice in colder climes. I do think they are nice for growing plants to keep the harsh sun off of them. Seems it would be perfect for orchids, like what you call your 'chicken coop.' The three-corner tear is almost completely healed. The only left-over effects from my falls are a few sore spots, some aches and pains, a rug rash and bruising. Nothing, really! I know I need to go back to my balance exercises and use my Bosu Ball. How nice to still get a Christmas card from the secretary. I'll bet you are remembered fondly.

I'm only a couple of years younger than you and I recall noticing the change in the year at about the same age as you. I think it was the big change from 1949 to 1950. It seemed to me it was more than just moving into another decade; it signaled the change from the war years to the optimistic decade, looking to the future. Even though I was born two years too early to be officially recognized as a Baby Boomer, all the teachers called us kids that. We thought, as we were growing up, that medicine would soon cure all diseases, everyone would own his or her own home, there was nothing the good ole USA couldn't do, and we'd all be zooming around in our own personal space ships like the Jetsons.

The 60's seemed to usher in the loss of our innocence with the killing of JFK, RFK, and MLK; the Viet Nam War; the Cuban missile crisis; student demonstrations; and Feminism. This was the decade my kids were born. They are a couple of years too young to officially be Baby Boomers. Still they and I have more in common than with the next generation--the Gen Xers. Gen Xers were seen as too lazy and self-involved. Now, the Gen Xers look down on the Millennials as too lazy and self-involved. I think our parents, The Greatest Generation, saw us Baby Boomers the same way. Despite not owning my own personal spacecraft, I do feel blessed to have lived in this era.

Barry, I wish it weren't so dreary there and that you felt frisky and peppy. I'm laughing because I'm the least OCD person I know. The reason I'm always behind in my cleaning is because I never have enough NRG to do much of it and it constantly catches up with me and passes me by. I can usually do very little before I have to quit and rest. By then, I'm usually done for the day. Two cats that shed make for a lot of dusting and vacuuming. Fortunately, the Roomba helps me now, except for the deep cleaning I'm currently involved in. I haven't deep cleaned in a year. Yikes!!! Also, I'm getting rid of a lot of stuff I no longer need and reorganizing storage. Living in a small condo means not accumulating a lot of stuff. I should get rid of half of it but it's hard to let go. One of these days, I'll just do it. Hang in there, Kiddo. The sun will eventually come out.

Granni, as I mentioned to Barry, I'm also gathering up old sheets, blankets, pillows, etc. to go to Goodwill. I already bagged up extra purses for them. When I finally do get this place clean and organized, I'll cull through everything again because I'm not getting rid of as much as I could and should. I tried those microfiber sheets at Costco and I love them. They are soft and cheaper than any other sheets I've owned. They aren't silky so don't slide off the pillows and mattress. I've been watching all the heartbreaking damage from those horrific storms near Dallas. That's where my kids live but, since I haven't heard from them, I assume their area didn't get hit. I hope your weather didn't develop into a big storm. News said the winds got up to 200 mph. Yikes!!! We don't have basements here so have to find shelter from hurricanes in hallways and bathrooms but hurricanes usually don't do as much damage as tornados except in the case of a direct hit. I hope the storms keep passing you by too.

I hope and pray for a better year for us all in 2016.

Love, Mikie
  10. rockgor

Hi Kids

Just woke up. It is so cold here I feel like I'm back in Minnesota. The weather
    page says it's 38 which is really cold for CA, although pretty balmy for
    our Northern states. Well, we'll be back in the 60s in a day or two.

No news here. Last night I helped Gordon cover some of the orchids with
    sheets. I watched a couple old British comedies: Are You Being Served?

The Homebound Board has had no posts since last Wednesday. I hope
    folks are too busy rather than too sick to post.

Mikie, are those plants in the atrium with yellow leaves 50 to 100
    feet tall? If so, they are probably aspens. Oh," plants" reminds me.
    We have narcissus in bloom. Ignoring the fact that it is not Spring,
    a dozen or so plants came up a month or so ago. Note: picture
    below is either aspen or narcissus.

So how does that bread without without kneading work? Same
    taste and texture?

Barry, I looked up sedums. They seem to come in a wide range of
    colors. (Pic below.) Would it be correct to assume they are self
    seeding? Or do you have to seed 'em?

In response to your question, yes, I am a night owl
    meaning I stay up late. But I also have insomnia. Had it when
    I was a kid.

On the issue of sleep, Steve Marin says:
    For sincere advice and the correct time, call any
    number at random at 3:00 a.m.

Steve BTW was born in 1945, and thus is too old to be a baby
    boomer. But Dave Barry was born 2 years later so he is. It's
    kinda like the royal family. Birth order is so important.

Ok, I have to stop so I can put my gloves back on.
    Hugs, Kids

Well, Ratbane! Now I lost my narcissus pic. Well, I 'spect
    anyone who likes can find same w/o too much trouble.

OK, it's several hours later. Found another narcissus pic.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    gb66 likes this.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

I worked out in the pool by my lonesome, as predicted. I started to run and my legs felt as though there were made of lead. Slog, slog, slog! After ten minutes, I was ready to quit; after twenty minutes, I was ready to quit; after thirty minutes, I did quit. I usually get a second, or third, wind if I keep at it. I must have really needed to work out. Wish my buddies would get back to it. The time goes by much faster with a group. The sky was clear blue when I got there but pretty soon, little fluffy clouds went drifting by on the breeze. I lay my head back on the edge of the pool and just watched them sail past. It was as good as meditating.

Lowe's had some lovely good sized pots of different types of flowers all in one so I got two of them for the pots in front. They look beautiful and the different colors help incorporate the other flower colors nearby. We're lookin' snazzy now! I ran into a really sweet neighbor at Lowe's and met her daughter. She's sweet too. DD#2 called me and I sat down in an outdoor chair in the patio dept. and chatted with her. They had a great Christmas and a good time on their ski vacation. The bad storms hit only about twenty miles from them.

Rock, I had aspens outside my front porch when I lived in the family home in CO. I insisted on them when we planned our landscaping. We had low evergreens in front of them and little outdoor lights among the foliage. When it snowed, the lights made the snow cover glow at night. Simply spectacular! Your one pic looks like paper whites. Are paper whites a kind of narcissus? I love them!

From what I saw, the bread used for the no-knead loaves is whole wheat with lots of seeds in it. It does rise but only needs to be punched down in the Dutch oven. There is a video of Martha Stewart making it online. The one she made on her show on PBS had more seeds in it and the process was slightly different. It looks yummy but I won't try it until I'm at my target weight and need to slow down the loss. I may actually have plateaued now with ten pounds still to go. I should check my America's Test Kitchen cookbook. I think they made it on one of their shows.

Gonna go. Even though I still have a lot I should be doing, the pool and Lowe's wore me out. This is exactly why I'm always cleaning and never get much of anything done. I just don't have the NRG to keep going. Whine, whine, whine. Oh well, getting those flowers for our big olla pots was important and that chore is done. I don't want to be out working in the yard when Hurricane Barb and her posse return. AACCKK!!!

Love to all y'all,
  12. bct

bct Active Member

Oh Rock! Thanks for the cheery pics, I needed that. By the way, sedums can be grown from seed, but the usual way to propagate them is by leaf or stem cuttings. Sedum comes from the Latin sedere which means to sit, because so many species are found growing (sitting) on rocks, and crevices in rock walls. My English granny used to grow S. acre; very acrid.

The Daffodils are lovely. Paperwhites, jonquils, all are Narcissi. I love them all. The paperwhites are incredibly fragrant. Too strong for some people. The daffs. in the Netherlands have started to bloom already; our friends there sent us pics, saying what a mild winter it has been so far.

Mikie, I hope you are able to evade the Barbarian hordes. Better get some bear-spray. :rolleyes:

13. Granniluvsu

Good afternoon MIKIE, BARRY, ROCK, et al,

Got back awhile ago from picking up our new car. The car is lovely but the cost is almost like a house used to be - YIKES :eek:!! The prices went even higher when he spoke to us about the extended warranties on these things. Usually DH doesn't want to go with them but this time it didn't take much convincing and since we were good customers and had bought 3 cars there already between Ford and Toyota, he gave us some fairly good deal, as deals go. Everything now costs so much to get fixed and just checking out the diagnostics is very expensive. I forget what it was but it covers almost everything now and all the checkups and replacements, for some time.

DH felt a little awkward driving it at first but got comfy after awhile especially since it is basically the same car we have been driving for about 8 years. Lots of gadgets and so far he said the back up mirror is really great. We had one in the other car but it only had the backup camera but without the lines showing and trying to help you how to go straight. Just backing up from our driveway can be a challenge and most people who come to pick me up don't park in the driveway. I tell them to just wait in the front and I will meet them :)!!. We came home and I gave him a fast cup of soup so he could go back there to bring some papers he had forgotten to bring the first time. I thin went over to DD's to bring them their mail. They drove back from his parents home in Gainesville, TX yesterday late morning trying to avoid the bad weather. A 4 1/2 -5 hr drive turned into an over 7 hr drive due to rain , flooding and crowded roads during one of the busiest travel days of the year. They were lucky to get home safely. They said on some back roads some of the shoulder area were flooded and they were hoping none would over flow and they would be stuck someplace. There was a bridge that had been covered I know and a train that was probably stuck and so everyone else was also stuck and they had to turn around and try and find another way to go. It was an adventure for sure and a not very pretty one.

ROCK - Thanks for the pretty picture and hope you are feeling up to snuff ( whatever that is) :)!! Hope you and Gordon are doing well and that you enjoyed you quiet Christmas. Our was too, with no little ones at our sons. The big boys ( 17 year olds and our son could get pretty silly too but that was OK. Also I think they might have been trying to get overt some intestinal bug of sorts. All the food was yummy and I tried not worry to much about what I should and shouldn't be eating

MIKIE - Try not to wear yourself out with all your chores.

DH was afraid to drink since he was driving and the drive was fairly long , over an hour ( for us). I can't imagine our JULIE with all the driving she does. I surely couldn't do it. Usually when we go there our DSIL does the driving and he doesn't worry that much about it, being young and all :)! He might also weigh a little more than my DH. I know your kitties can also cause a little ruckus from time to time, when you are wanting peace and quiet but they are just like children, aren't they ?? Glad you do have them for company. Did they get some goodies for Christmas too? That is to bad about Hurricane Barb coming back soon and how long will they be there? It is a shame that some people are that way . It is also shame that she is that way and makes it hard for you and so many, and you used to be friends? Wonder how she is with her enemies? I don't even want to imagine.

JULIE - Hope you are doing well kiddo. Miss hearing from you, SUN and SW, DIANE too. I know you are all busy and SUN may still be away on her trip. I do not remember when she is supposed to be coming back.

That is going to be interesting trying to study the book that came with the new car. So many gadgets to figure out. I know we won't use some of them but others we certainly will have to. Every time DH or I get in or out we have to move the seat back or forward. However, that one shouldn't be to hard :)!!

Love to everydobby,
    Granni :)

Gotta run for now.
  14. springwater

springwater Active Member

I hope everyone had a good christmas!

here it was blustery cold. Well it was inside the house and when i went out on errands in the evening. This winter a lot of people on the street wearing Christmas Santa caps..i dont know if it was to celebrate Christmas cheer or because the caps made of felt are cheaper than woolen ones. (yes, the people were out in droves) internet and the rising gen has made Christmas almost a national holidat and the people here love any reason to celebrate.

Im a little miserable because if i miss having my bath during noon when its warm with the sun out, i just cannot bring myself to bathe in the rest of the hours..its just too cold and shivery. There is no question of heating water with gas..theyre buying one cylinder for 8 times the normal rate..and the electricity comes on for 4 hours in morn and 4 hours in evening and then thru out late night when people are supposed to be sleeping. I asked my part time helper and she says those who work cook everything at night and keep aside.

i can make a coal fire but what a hassle, soot getting on everything...and with energy levels at their lowest yet. weve bought hot water bottles and those are nice. till now they were strictly for tummy aches and those seem to hv disappeared with the kids growing up and all. i couldnt find the ones we had, since they werent in use.

Granni - how nice to get a new car! With all the competition in the market it seems cars keep updating their models. have fun driving in it.!

Rock - i loved the looked not unlike our daffodils..except for the colour and middle

Mikie - be careful..! you dont want another bruise. your former house sounds very pretty with those lights in the foliage and all.

Barry - our mustard leaf curry..we just heat oil in a iron wok and put in a pinch of asatoefatida, salt splutter some cumin seeds and oil and put the chopped mustard leaves in. and keep stirring until the water dries. most times i add potato chopped fine first before adding the mustard leaves to get a different taste.

thats one way..another is put onion, garlic, tomatoe, cumin, turmeric, green chillies and fry those before adding the mustard leaves. it gives a different taste but is equally good.

we use all the lentils available..chickpeas, split black, pink lentils, green peas, gram, everything..turn by turn for variety. to use as soup. the boys dont eat mutton, too greasy for DH, we dont get fresh fish easily..hav to go a ways, they find buffaloe meat too tough, beef forbidden in this Hindu kingdom and i dont give them pork since pranic healing says not to, (same reason as judaism forbids) so i hv to make different gravy and thats where the lentil soup comes in. we make it almost every day. lots of ways to make lentils depending on variery of lentil or peas.

like you, i revere our water sources..drops of rain so precious.

last evening the dogs fought. after a long time. DHs fault, instead of tossing his left over meat piece by piece to each..he just threw it for a free for all. of course theres gonna be a brawl. the glare i gave my DH would have turned him into a smouldering haystack or the burning bush had my eyes been lasers. . my DH thought he was helping and threw a mug of water over them which did nothing except make a puddly mess in an already cold evening. then he stood there shouting at them to stop it( like they even heard him). doggies could injure each other. these are grown up animals. ive become rather hardened. I just took the two main trouble makers by the scruff of the neck and after a struggle parted them, threw each dog into a room and the main older one out into the landing. let them out only when time had lapsed and the adrenaline rush drained out. oh boy.

God Bless

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Morning, My Dear Porchies,

I just started to reply and my computer gave me a strange error message: BAD_POOL_CALLER. We have Wi-Fi at the pool next to our bldg. and I wondered whether that was the culprit. Seems not. It's some kind of Windows 10 error message. The techies online were so far out that I cannot understand anything except that this particular error is caused by bad drivers. I will update the Toshiba driver for my laptop and the printer driver. Other than that, I don't know what might be causing it. Oy! It's always something!

I hope my dear old friend will be able to get out of O'Hare today. It appears from TV news that it's a mess. Those storms caused all kinds of cancellations and, I doubt, they will be cleared up by this morning. He's not able to be hanging out at the airport for hours, trying to find another flight. I hope his kids don't just leave him there to his own devices. I'm looking forward to having lunch with him.

Barry, I'm laughing at the Barbarians! :D How funny and how fitting. As it is, I'll be smudging the area outside my condo with sage packets. I've also incorporated Spring's methods to protect me from their dark NRG. Thanks for the answer regarding the paper whites. I always used to grow a pot of them from the kits so popular around Christmas. I love them. Has the sun come out there? I hope so. Days of dreary weather can weigh upon one's spirit.

Granni, how exciting that you have your new car. Several times, Toyota has included lifetime warranties with their cars. My neighbor, Julie, got her Highlander and got the warranty. Hers is a couple of years newer than mine. If I were to get a new car, I'd likely have to go to school and pass my state boards before being able to operate everything. :) As it is, I pray every day that nothing happens to my old one. With only 39,000 miles on it, it should last a long time. Now and then, one of the sensors will go out and I have a bill but I think, and hope, that it's basically sound. I do the recommended maintenance and use synthetic oil; it has never missed an oil change. DD#2 had a 4-Runner which had 160,000 miles on it when she got her new SUV and it was 16 years old. Glad you've had family time this holiday season.

Spring, OMG! These shortages have gone on so looooong and now, with the cold weather, seem untenable. I hope and pray it comes to an end soon. It's one thing when Mother Nature brings disaster, like with the earthquakes, but it's quite another when it's brought on by humans. Good grief! Aren't there other ways to settle disputes? Here, we just have politicians' threatening to shut down our government by cutting off the money if they don't get their way. Childish! It's like the kid who takes his ball and goes home when he doesn't get his way. No one else can play ball but neither can he. I hope the doggies have settled down. That must have been terrible. When I had two dogs, the older one got her treats first and the younger one respected the pecking order. With the cats, I have to give Tweety her treats on the window sill or Sir Vester will try to bully her to get them. He used to wait but now, I would have to stand over him and keep him away with my foot. Too much trouble. This way, Tweety can eat her treats in peace, knowing he won't try to jump up there. With his one webbed foot, he doesn't like to jump anywhere other than up on my bed or the back of the loveseats. As always, my friend, I keep you and your whole country in my prayers.

I hope all y'all have a good day and hope to hear from some of our MIA's.

Love, Mikie
  16. Granniluvsu

Dear Porchies,

Not much time to write a real post now. Got up late and DH had gone to SAMS CLUB and so I had to put a few things away before fixing my breakfast drink. Haven't gotten dressed yet either.

MIKIE - The warranty that comes with the car is 36 months I believe or so many miles, not sure which. The one we bought was for 8 years.

DH needs the computer right now so I had better go get dressed.

Bye for now.

17. bct

bct Active Member

Hi All -- including the many MII's.

Spring, thank you for the curry recipes. I shall try one when the mustard greens are available.
    So upsetting to have a dog fight. I hope none of your pooches were hurt. I've had my experiences with fights that required veterinary visits --$$! Fortunately no doctor visits. How many dogs have you? We used to have four at one time.
    What meats ARE available for your non-veg. family members? Chicken or duck is all I can think of. Or do people in Nepal also eat rabbits? I ate a lot of rabbit in my early days -- my English Gpa raised them in the back yard. Of course, in those post war days rationing was still on, so people did what they could, with rabbits, chickens, vegetable. Think victory garden. I still like rabbit myself but can no longer afford them....:(.

Well today the sun has decided to come out, but where we live is at the bottom of a hill named Rainbow Ridge that is topped with giant fir trees. So still in the shade, and waiting, waiting for the sun's rising higher. A month more, I reckon. :rolleyes:

Granni: I hope the bad weather is not affecting you. It looks pretty fierce out that way! I hope you and the new car get along well. I've given up driving in consideration of the other drivers! Mainly neck problems from looking too fast and pinching a neck nerve that stops me in my tracks with the pain.

My BP medicine (amlodopine aka Norvasc) makes me SO TIRED! Is this unusual? I hate it. Does anyone else use this stuff? I've gotta talk to Doc about this. I don't have really high blood pressure, just "labile", so I have to be on it for my carotid blockages so I don't explode. If it's not one thing it's three.

G'day for now.
    Hope some of our Missing In Inaction will check in too!
  18. Granniluvsu

Good afternoon everydobby,

SPRING WATER - Speaking of lentils I am making lentil soup for the first time since last winter. Not even sure it is in my diet but I will be eating it anyway. It is very simple but takes time to chop the carrots, onions and celery. I actually had two ham bones in the freezer which I had from this year and thought it would be a good time to use them before it gets hot again and then they won't be used for another year or so :)!!!

You and Barry were talking about your curry or mustard leaf curry. You mentioned a couple of recipes that you do but did not mention how much curry you added to your recipes. We do not have or I have not heard of the asatoefatida ( sounds interesting) The other one that you mentioned with the tomatoes onion, garlic, turmeric and green chiles sound fesible for ingredients around here. Do you add curry to that and when and how much?? I would love to have you recipe book or is it all in your head??? Do you put curry in those dishes and how much? Of course the amount depends also on the taste of others and how strong you want it. I like curry but not a strong taste of it. I am getting tired of trying to figure out what to cook all the time, driving me crazy for both of us if I can ever figure out what is good for both of us. DH's cholesterol is down a lot but it is his triglycerides that are high or just over the borderline. He LOVES meat of all kinds. I have cut back on the meat amounts for him but sometimes he balks, just depends. Still have to figure out the BS for sure and take his glucose level with the new meter. The other day we tried it twice and got an error message. DH is so impatient at time.

To bad you had to put up with those doggies fighting and then your DH who was trying to help and made a mess. I don't blame you for getting exasperated at the mess and your DH for getting those doggies started in fighting over the food. SMART THINKING WITH YOUR DOGGIE TIME OUT :)!!! BEST THING TO DO. That's what you do when there are little children fighting so why not animals !! So sorry you have had to deal with all the shortages in your country and area.

BARRY - So sorry that you are feeling so blah with no NRG. It might be a good thing to mention this to the doc to see if he has any alternatives that might not make you quite so tired and worn out all the time. I have that too but not sure it is the meds. Felt that way for years . Oh well, as MIKIE would say - whine, whine, whine !!! No the bad weather did not affect us that much except on Sunday when we had tornadoe wtches and some heavy rain but we were very lucky, Thanks for asking.

MIKIE - Hope you are feeling more energenic today or this afternoon. You have been so busy lately doing stuff. How much longer do you have peace and quiet with out Barb and her cohorts?? To bad she lives so close to you as it makes it harder for you to avoid her and you have to try and be real nice to her even if sometimes she is not that nice to you and your friends and neighbors in the hood.

Hope DIANE and KEVIN are enjoying his staycation at home :)!!

Thinking of all our PORCHIES and MIA's. Missing JULIE, ROCK, SUN, DIANE and so many more.

Bye for now.

19. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Hi y'all,

I've been reading but not posting. Just too tired.

We baked our cookies and had our Christmas Eve (seafood/me; pizza Kevin) and Christmas Day meals. Then the rest of that week flew by. Kevin got a scratch on his car passenger side rear quarterpanel in a parking lot, he has to get that looked at for estimates. The insurance said not to turn it in unless the damage is over $1,ooo. Lease on the car is up in May 2016.

Then yesterday I had my dental appt. For the deep cleaning. Turns out the insurance company will not pay for the crown on the cracked tooth (Thanksgiving) until I get periodontal therapy! Duh. So I only needed a deep cleaning on the top quarter (right side) of my mouth. Bottom quarter/right is A-OK. But I did need to get 4 fillings replaced. And the dentist cracked a tooth! She said there was already a stress fracture there. SIGH.

So, I go in on Jan 9, to get the left side of my mouth deep cleaned, and 4 fillings replaced. I sure hope she doesn't find any more STRESS fractures!

Instead of paying for $40 t0 80 for the fillings, plus $46 for the deep cleaning (1/4 of mouth), we ended up paying close to $800 ----- fillings plus 1/4 mouth deep cleaning plus deposit for another new crown!!!! I thought I'd be done on Jan 9, but not to be. Sigh and pout.

Always something........

BARRY -- Ask your doc if you can take your Norvasc in the evening. I was told a while ago to take my BP med in the evening, because studies showed it worked better. I take Lisinopril. Maybe that would help with your sleepiness, to take it in the evening. Ask your doc.

Oh Mikie, your oowies and ouchies. Please be careful!! I know you're already careful, but you know what I mean.

Granni, you got me smiling about your new vehicle. Buttons, bells, whistles!! Remember when you put a car in drive or reverse, and just drove?? I hope you and DH like your new vehicle.

Spring, You have such stamina and "oomph", for what is going on in your country. You seem to find the good wherever you can. You are an amazing woman. I pray and hope for things to get better, soon. I love to read about the dishes you cook. I'm not a fan of curry, but I love cumin.

Rock, I've been thinking about topics to post on Homebound Board, but my mind is just coming up empty. :(
    I too hope everyone is well on that Board, and just taking a break. I enjoy reading your posts, wherever you post! :)

Julie, I hope you and family are doing well. Look forward to hearing from you when you're up to posting.

Sun, I hope you're enjoying your Hawaiian vacation!

Kevin had a dental appt too, yesterday afternoon. His jaw is sore. He got a Dutch oven of homemade potato soup made today. To be eaten with bread. Soft food. Me, not really hungry, but I do have some chicken broth and rice -- Kevin makes a delicious broth with rice, even if the broth is made from a carton.

Well, my friends, I have run out of steam. My mouth is still throbbing -- might be time for another aspirin and a nap.

Y'all take care. I'll be back in touch soon as I am able.

Love and hugs,
    gb66 and rockgor like this.
  20. Granniluvsu

Popping in for a few minutes. I saw your post DIANE and had to tell you I am sorry for all your dental work and dental bills. It seems like when it rains it pours. Hop things settle down and you will be all through with it all soon and through with all the dental bills. Not good when the insurance won't even help with them.. We have dental insurance but some of the things are still expensive, even with the insurance. Hope to talk to you again soon kiddo. I think it is time for some aspirin for you and a nap or maybe it is now bedtime, It is almost that time for me.

That potato soup for Kevin sounds wonderful although I shouldn't eat it. I made split pea soup today for DH and myself and it was pretty good especially on a cold evening. Not sure how good split pea is for my problem but I ate it any way. I am running out of stuff to cook and it is driving me crazy. I refuse to make separate meals for the both of us. At least Kevin does a little of his cooking :)!!

Hope both of your mouths feel better tomorrow. Wish I could send you some plit pea soup, home made with the hambone and some left over ham from Thanksgiving.

Love to you and everyone,
    Granni :) Off to take her shower.