The Porchlight Volume # 680 IS NOW CLOSED !!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Granniluvsu, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Darrae

Darrae Member

Hi all!

Okay, it's official! One more drop of water lands in my office, I'm gonna go to the courtyard, start the Arc and lead the residents out two by two! :eek:

After having our lower level flooded a week ago by a broken water main in the street, I thought our water problems were over. Oh no no no! I come into work this morning to find the whole first floor cleared out, workmen everywhere, carpets soaked, fans and extractors all over making a heck of a racket. I knew this would not bode well. :(

I went to my office to find I'd been attacked from above this time. Ceiling panels soaked and broken all over the tables, floor, my desk..........water all over the floor. Sprinkler system pipe broke on second floor the night before and rained down on all the 2nd floor apartments, the first floor and basement. :rolleyes:

Two and a half hours of my morning were spent with the Housekeeping Director reclaiming and drying out my office again. Thank goodness the Administrator had not left the building yet when the damage started. She was kind enough to go down to my office, throw a shower curtain over my computer desk, tucked my phone, clock, pencil sharpener etc...under it, put my trash can under the computer desk to hold all the electrical cords, rescued my grand children's pictures, and the rest of my stuff from my desktop and moved it to safer ground.

Unfortunately, my office fan was a casualty. Dead. With all the exertion of lifting, pulling, tugging, pushing of boxes, furniture, rolling plastic towers of craft stuff, the popcorn machine, and various and sundry other items around, (not once but twice in a short period of time),.....I'm beginning to hurt like my body wants to have a flare. Not good. I've been doing so well.

Anyhow, indoor horseshoe game was called off this morning at 10:30. On the "up" side, my office was clean and dry enough by then to switch gears and I got a good sized group for Crazy Eights. (Something we could play on a dry table). :D They were grateful for the diversion. They'd been bored out of their skulls not being able to leave their rooms for the lobby, coffee nook or t.v. room. No place to land and visit on first floor.

It was dry enough by 10:30 down there that we did set up another t.v. and chairs outside my office and made a make-shift coffee area on a long folding table for them.
    Quite a few availed themselves of that area too. I'm hoping the lobby, coffee nook and t.v. area are dry by 2:00 tomorrow. I have entertainers booked and birthday cake to serve for our January birthday folks. January has not been kind to us. Oh yay......it's snowing again. :rolleyes: From now until Saturday! Can we say February? :)

I haven't read all the new posts yet. Just scanned some of them.

Rock, thanks for the appreciation of the "punnage
    ". Yes, my Sorels were quite expensive, but I've had them now, for 20 odd years. They still look like new. Only wear them when it's sub-zero out. I don't know how fetching I look in them as they make one walk like a "Yeti".

Mikie, How funny. Indian Lake used to be another of those songs I listened to over and over. It's like, once you think about that one, it plays in your head the rest of the day. My roots are Celtic and German too. (German by way of Switzerland to Bavaria and Berne). Germish! :D I love that! I may use that one with your permission. Classic. Glad your back and hips are feeling appreciably better. I so enjoyed your description of the birds on your pond. It sounds so serene and beautiful. Enjoy the nails and deforestation at the spa. :)

Julie, The memory you recounted of Faye was so very touching. It's okay to keep talking about this. You needn't apologize. This is the right place to do so. You must need to talk to help yourself cope. It's good to have an outlet, and we all are listening and praying for you and your dear brother and family. Love.

Diane, Good luck with the therapist. Am hoping your "Doc" dilemma gets resolved positively. Wishing you tranquility.

Barry, Wonderful! Another lover of amphibian! Frog legs are truly scrumptious when done right. Absolutely. I've never thought they tasted like chicken. Somewhat more faintly "fishy" I think. They just don't really taste like anything else. And frog legs in France? How cool that is! I can picture the outdoor cafe you mentioned and what a neat experience that must have been. The French do frog legs justice I've heard.

Otters are so cute! Very unusual little animals. I just watched a program on PBS not long ago about otters. You are so lucky to be in an area where you can see them in their natural habitat. Sorry to hear about the phobias. I can relate. If you've checked my posts, you'll know I can relate. Hope you get some REAL help soon. Take care of yourself pal.

Leah, I'm so pleased to read you still feel you are making some progress. Yes, it's an uphill battle, but you can do it. I know you can. Though you are frightfully ill, you are also a spiritually strong person, a good and kind person. I believe in you and your temerity. Keep fighting. Glad to hear Pearl kitty is doing well. My deepest prayers for you sweetie.

Granni, Hi! The BP issue is a scary one at best. Untreated or under treated it can cause so many other dangerous health issues. Anxiety, I think, runs in all of us. Comes with the territory unfortunately. As for money issues, I think we all deal with that too. I've had to do without my meds on so many occasions due to lack of funds. Not good. But unavoidable as I have minimal insurance coverage. Hope you are having a good evening. Warm thoughts.

Well, I've babbled long. I'm off to the crib to snooze. Love to all!

Dar
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Mikie - Yes, if we cannot highlight the starting post of the Thread then we could probably highlight the last post of the old thread. That is a good idea !!

I remember the Little Engine that Could too. Not sure that I grew up on Golden books but some of my kids did I suppose.. They didn't have the Highlight Magazine for me, I know. If they did we didn't have the money but I think they didn't have it. for ME or us older people :)!

Yes, if I get something new I definitely need something to tell me what to do. A techie I am NOT. I need DIRECTIONS!!

Our son was asked to go overseas for 2-3 years ( with his wife of course) but they have to decide whether they want to or not, It is definitely a good thing for him but they have to decide whether to do it or not. It is certainly a feather in his cap to be asked to do something like this. Don't know much more than that right now. We certainly will miss him if they go but we will see. He has to do what is right for him and his wife. Certainly a great opportunity. I forget the name of the cities now. As my mom would have said, my brain is a sieve but not even sure how to spell someof the places. MOre later. I think DH is talking to son right now. Can you believe my DIL posted this on FB after he got asked. That is how I found that out :)!! Technology , crazy huh :)!

Oh, it is Malaysia and Quadalampur (sp??) where they might be going.

Dar - I was posting the same time as you. Yes I am off to get ready for beddy bye too. Sorry just skimmed your post really quick. More tomorrow hopefully.

More later !

Luv,
    Granni
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Morning,

Dar, that flood sounds just horrible. You seem to take things in stride and carry on. Good for you! I hope it all gets dried out and no mold hangs around. Today, the experts seem to have the ability to clean up really well after water damage.

Granni, I think being able to work overseas is a wonderful opportunity, unless it's in a dangerous place. After my divorce, I could have worked in Germany or England but I was in too much disarray to even consider it then. Heck, I've been in disarray for years :) Oh well, most of us here are; goes with the territory.

It has continued to rain all night and won't clear out til middle of the day. Then, we are in for much warmer weather in the mid-80's. We needed this rainfall so I shouldn't complain. Can't decide whether or not to just let my hair curl up in a mop until it's drier outside. Ilona and I are taking Barb out early tomorrow morning to a McDonald's where the bus will take her over to Miami for her cruise. Ilona and I will have breakfast and if Barb wants to leave early enough, she can join us. She packs a hug suitcase like my Mom used to do. It'll take two of us to hoist it into the back of the SUV. I've never been on a cruise and doubt I ever will but am not saying, "Never." This last outbreak of the norovirus isn't encouraging me to want to go.

I'm exhausted today and I slept all day yesterday. Not a good sign. Need some NRG. Whine, whine, whine :confused:!

Hope everyone has a great day.

Love, Mikie
  4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Hi everyone,

Mikie - Sorry you are still feeling yuck. How nice that Barb is getting to go on a cruise. We have been on some really fun ones and never got sick, seasick either but we wore the patch just to make sure. Where is Barb going. It is supposed to get warmer today too. I am ready for sure. Hate the cold stuff ):!!

Dar - I don't know how you even deal with all your problems at work with feeling as you do. You are a strong gal and I am so glad that you can do all you do for those residence. You are a GEM for sure.

Just wanted to check the porch before I got up and dressed to go to lunch with 2 other ladies. It will someplace simple but with good food. There is a small sort of teahouse in the area we hope to go to. Haven't been there in some time.

Hang in their Freida, Sun, Julie , Rock, and dear Diane !!

Thinking of everydobby !!

Love y'all,
    Granni :)
  5. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

We are leaving to see il medico pronto. And speaking of things medical, I got a
    form from Medicare the other day. Couldn't make much sense outta it. I think
    they make this stuff confusiatin' on purpose.

For fellow pun lovers, ya ever visit the site of bizarrocomics.com. The cartoonist is
    Dan Piraro. He sometimes has cartoon puns. Saw one yesterday. Couldn't figure
    out what the joke was. It showed King George IV lying in bed wearing his crown
    and robe. The doctor was standing nearby. I asked Gordon what he made of it.
    He said, "He's getting an I V." Aha! Well, it might have been clearer if he was getting
    it, but the tube was just dangling. Wasn't hooked up to his royal arm.

From another source and slightly modified, I went to the movies last night. Sat down
    right next to my statistics Professor. What are the odds?

Diane, I'm sorry to hear about anxiety. Does the Xanax help? I took Xanax decades
    ago even though I didn't have a problem with anxiety. I think the doctor just prescribed
    his standard meds without giving much thought to what was really appropriate.

I know my depression was greatly helped (though not cured) with meds and therapy
    and a 12 step program. I hope you can find something that helps.

Oops! Gordon is calling. Gotta go.

Rock
  6. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Dar: a flood again! I know I wouldn't be able to cope with everything you accomplish......do you hear that? It's me giving you applause! You earn every penny you make. Have a question re: my 91 year old aunt who has been moved to an assisted living place. My cousins made the decision(she is a widow with no children) because she was showing many signs of alzheimers like another aunt who died from it. She was alone.....and wanting to die. Now she's as mad as a wet hen. Complaining of the food, of her table mates and everyone else there, complaining she doesn't have the right clothes, etc. etc. Said my cousin NOW has all her $ which is basically enough to pay the rent for one year. What do you suggest????????

Granni: what a way to find out about your son's possible job overseas? I don't go to FB and don't want to. And like Mikie said, it all depends on the safety of the country.

Mikie: About that BIG, heavy suitcase........when she gets home you should ask her what she packed that she DIDN'T wear. I learned a long time ago that I only wore half of what I packed. When we went to Portland I went down to a much smaller suitcase, but still didn't wear some of the things packed. Years ago my dream was to be able to toss something into a very small travel bag and just GO. Of course now half of what I pack is for my body comfort like two heating pads, rice filled things, etc.

I've got a guy coming tomorrow to trim a ton of bushes. I wasn't sure if we would be home on saturday so I had him put the very heavy ladder outside.....and of course......it rained a little last night on it. I've now got it covered with plastic....hoping it will be dry tomorrow so he can do the work. And the new pool service guy was out yesterday and did a good job. Needless to say the H.S. kids didn't work out, one was VERY slow and the other one didn't show up on saturday.

Does anyone have dreams that they pay attention to? Had a dream this morning.....upsetting to say the least.....I had gotten off a trail that I knew well, to get on a bicycle, ended up at some fancy country club, and then couldn't find my way back to the correct trail.....I was lost. Well, obviously it has to do with what's going on in my life right now.....sometimes I can go back into a dream to finish it but no luck this morning. When I lay down next time I'll see if I can put my mind into thinking of this dream. The brain is amazing.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

ROCK SAYS IT IS TIME TO GO ON TO THE NEXT VOLUME. LOOK FOR # 681 . NO MORE POSTS HERE :)!!

Love to everydobby,
    Granni :)
    Sun - that is interesting about your dream. For some reason I hardly remember what it was all about. I remember my mom used to say that either her aunts had what she called a dream book. Obviously she believed a lot in her dreams. That is about all I remember about it. Mother is no longer living so I can't ask her about it.

You are right about FB . I go on there to see friends and family I don't get to see a lot or at all. However, I do not put much personal on there for the reason you mentioned. Nothing that personal that is. If I send anything personal, it is a not for all to see and is private. MY DIL , I guess, was so excited she had to tell her friends and of course everyone else. Of course it is not top secret but one must be careful these days.

You surely sound busy these days doing so much while your DH is recuperating. Hope you get everything taken care of this weekend that you need to,

Dar - Yes, you do earn every penny you are getting paid and you also need lots of patience. If you are feeling badly at work that surely makes things a lot harder. God bless you and all you do. Sun and Dar, I have heard even just recently about some with Alzheimers, at a certain stage become beligerant and complaining about everything, even those who were never that way. That is such a hard thing for the family members. Hope things change but not sure it will, but maybe after awhile. The thing is they get very belligerent and unruly, and many times they have to geto medicated and sometimes it may be overly so.. Sorry about your aunt, Sun !!

Went out to lunch with 2 friends today to a nice place sort of tea room and you can have hi tea and stuff like that which is interesting. However, we only had water , iced tea and quiche and yummy soup or salad. We restrained ourselves and didn't have dessert. LOLDid lots of talking though !

Julie, Rock, Freida, Spring Wate, Jamr and all I hope you are all well . Need to get busy doing something else before dinner time.

ROCK SAID THAT IT IS TIME TO START THE NEW VOLUME # 681 ( I THINK) :)!! SEE YOU THERE. NO MORE POSTS HERE !!!! PS THIS IS A TEST MIKIE AND ALL !!

LOVE,
    GRANNI
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014