THE PORCHLIGHT VOLUME 698 IS CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thought it was time.

Love, Mikie
  2. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Leah: Please don't fret over anything on this board. You've done so much here, your gift is encouragement to everyone and I feel bad if you're getting upset. Personally I'm finding I just don't have the "umph" to post at times, just too much stress at home right now.

And since everything is anonymous, my husband has lost another 6 lbs. in l l/2 weeks.......he's llooking very gaunt. My son talked to him about medical MJ......it's up to him whether he wants to try it to give a bit of an appetite. At times it's like I'm sitting on the sidelines watching a play unfold and I have no control over anything. And I'm getting very worn out by everything.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  3. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Mikie...seems like that last porch just zoomed by...is "zoom" one of those words you and Rock were discussing...onomatopoeia (lol, I had to use spell check plus Google search to see if I was even close)

Freida, thanks for your concern...no need to worry, though. Misunderstandings happen once in awhile on the boards, but most of the time everything works out just fine. I truly do not believe that Dar (or Granni or anyone else, either) intended for anyone to be upset...that is just not their style :)

Thank you for going to all the work and energy to make sure we could read and understand your sentiments...I imagine it had to be very energy-draining and stressful. But please don't give it another thought.

Sun, oh my...I've not been in your shoes, but I did notice how thin and gaunt my sister-in-law looked too. In her case, though, things just do not taste good at all. She has been a coffee drinker for so long, but said she can barely stand it now...or even the smell of it in a cup or on someone's breath. As I think back, it does seem that her stomach got "full" so quickly, even if she tried to force herself to eat.

Feeling so helpless to "fix" things for your hubby is bound to be very stressful...I am so sorry.

I had a pretty busy, hectic day...ended up taking Lorraine to town with me. Went to the care plan meeting for my dad first, then visited with him a bit. Ran a couple errands before we went back to get him to go out for lunch.

He was in therapy, so we had to wait a few minutes for him to finish...Lorraine stayed and "watched him exercise" while I filled the birdfeeders and bird bath. It took two hours to go eat at a restaurant, drive to the little ponds in the middle of town and spend 15 minutes throwing bread to the ducks and geese, and stop to grab some ice cream treats on the way back to the care center.

That made it 2:00 pm and we still hadn't gotten groceries or ran the rest of our errands. Made a couple quick stops, then the grocery store right before we headed home. Drove down our lane at almost 5:00 pm...

I have to say that Lorraine was pretty well-behaved, and didn't have any potty accidents. She did start acting out at lunch, because she finished eating well ahead of Great-Grandpa and I told her that, if necessary, we would go into the bathroom and "have a little talk." Then I explained that meant a spanking.

She calmed down, but when I decided I'd better take her to the Ladies' room to try to go potty before we left, she kept saying (as we were walking there) "I don't want to have a little talk!" So, I felt bad that she would associate going to the bathroom with getting a spanking...but she really is old enough to understand if she is going to be in trouble or not. And she knows that Grandma means business...

So, all in all, it was a very good day...and my dad seemed to have a wonderful time. He was ready for a nap...and probably slept till suppertime, lol!

David was home by the time we got here, so all the kids were excited. He grilled supper, including a couple steaks that I brought home for me and Den. I am going to crash early tonight...tomorrow is another new day :)
  4. jole

jole Member

Hello my friends~ It's not that I don't think of you, but just no energy. I thought I'd caught a cold and have been down for nearly two weeks. I don't have major allergies to pollens, so think it was a cold. However, hubby and DD/grands never caught it from me. My normal 'lack' of energy turned into a battle of simply finding enough to keep up with my drippy nose :( But yesterday and today are finally better, so here I am.

Mikie, I had to chuckle in the last porch edition when you were talking about the lack of energy... and people drinking in front of an alcoholic, or eating a huge candybar in front of a diabetic. Yep, describes it so well. I have a sis-in-law who has told me so many times that I just need to 'force' myself to exercise. Heck, I don't even have the energy to argue the point with her:(

Leah, my hubby is very hard of hearing also. Deaf in one ear and the other one is so bad hearing aides won't help him. We spend most of the time not talking to each other, which I hate. But if I'm not right beside him he doesn't hear me, and usually only hears part of the conversation anyway. I think he makes up the other part...lol. because he always thinks I've told him something that I didn't even know anything about. I wish you and your hubby all the best, because lack of communication is a hard thing when our space in life is so small.

Sun, prayers going up for your hubby and you also. Yes, watching from the sideline is sometimes a really hard place to be. Lots of stress in your life right now, so please be gentle with yourself. Is he the type that wants your help, or is he the 'do it myself' type of guy?

Julie, you sound like you're feeling better again. And it's good that all your help is giving your DD some peace of mind as well. Little ones are very draining to a mother that's feeling well, much less one with problems.

Rock, it's always good to hear from you. Love your wit. Also love the way you and Gordon help each other out. Be prepared to go a bit 'crazy' when he retires though........

Be back tomorrow hopefully. Hugs to all........
  5. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hello Kids

Quiet day around these parts. We went to the library. I found a new author. I can't remember if I posted about same or not. Anyhoo her name is Rebecca Shaw. Once her kids grew up she started writing. I read the first book in her series. It's about life in a village. Enough going on to maintain interest and peaceful enough to be soothing.

Gordon was on TV yesterday. Well, at least his voice was. He called some garden show with
    questions about raising raspberries. The host said he didn't know too much about raspberries
    himself, but referred him to a nursery named Brambles and some books.

I was on TV myself about half a century ago. It was one of those women's afternoon shows.
    The hostess was Virginia Graham who hosted shows in the 50s, 60s and 70s. Anyhoo before
    the show started the audience was given cards to fill out. I gave a silly answer to some
    question (can't even remember what it was), but somebody in charge liked it and asked me
    to respond to Virginia's question when she made an entrance coming down the aisle.

Anyhoo, the gist of the story is that the hostess, who had a master's degree and a Phi
    Beta Kappa key according to Wikipedia, (how believable is that?) got a little confusiated
    and asked the wrong question. My inlaws were visiting from Minnesota. They thought it
    was very exciting. I thought it was absurd.

Gordon is making chicken stew. Instead of our old friend the crockpot, he is doing it on the
    stove top. The chef's prediction is that it will be ready in another two hours.

Hugs
    Rock
  6. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Fellow Porchers

Good to hear from you, Jole. Glad to hear you've been feeling better the last couple days. Sorry to hear about hubby's deafness. Is he a music lover? That makes it even worse.

Yup, Julie. "Zoom" is a good example of onomatopeia. Any word that mimics a sound is: thud, whoosh, bang, hiss, zip, etc. "Having a little talk" reminds me of "a trip to the woodshed". I guess that wouldn't mean much to a kid today since woodsheds have pretty much disappeared.

My folks sold their house in 1960. Seventeen years later we went back to see how the place
    looked. Both inside and outside were greatly changed. The woodshed was still there, but it
    had been moved about 20 feet. Other things like trees and the enormous lilac bush were
    gone.

Oh, I see Mikie is here. Right on time. Thanks for all your work as a moderator, Mikie. I was
    asked to be a moderator 2-3 years ago, but I didn't feel up to it. I didn't want to say I'd do
    something and then not be able to do it after all.

Got a kick outta your Chic Khaki post on the previous thread. Don't see Chic and Khaki
    together too often. I wonder if the military issues special khaki makeup to our female troops.

Springwater, I moved your post from the last thread. There is no fee for this service since
    you had a coupon. Ha ha!

Gotta go lie down, Kids
    Rock

Here is Springwater's post:

"Freida

after reading Dars post, i went over to Homebound but didnt see any offensive
    post, i dont know which it was or was it taken off or what..

im sorry if you felt you had to post anything re people being welcome,

Dar - pls dont mind, we all of us here understand how this DD would
    affect the daily functioning of anyone afflicted with it..it does take
    its toll and to a horrific extent sometimes, more power to you for
    keeping on going and NOT letting the DD rule you completely.

God bless"
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, everyone, please go back to our last Porch to read any posts y'all may have missed.

Leah, the word, "overwhelmed," describes how I often feel just trying to navigate when I'm so run down. Just going to the grocery store yesterday was an ordeal, not because of lack of NRG so much as my addled brain. This last round of my HFV flare has really affected me cognitively. This last round of HFV flare has really affected me cognitively :confused:. Ha! Ha! We have to have a little humor and laughing at ourselves is an easy target, at least, for me. If I took my shortcomings too seriously, I would have nothing to amuse myself. On the other hand, a major flare can really make us sick and can be scary. I hope you are feeling better. We love to have you here.

Sunflower Girl, is there a support group for spouses, friends and/or SOs in your area? How about a therapist? You are going through far too much to have to bear the burden by yourself. Please feel free to come here to explain what is going on as we care so much for you. I pray for you both. If medical Mary Jane is an option, I think it would be worth a try. I've seen a lot of people on TV talking about what a difference it made for them during chemo. Keep us updated.

Julie, I'll bet DD wasn't the only one ready for a nap. You touch so many lives. I mentioned my cognitive problems. One of them is using the wrong word when I type. I just typed, "I'll bed DD wasn't the only one ready for a nap." Well, bed and nap do go together. Sometimes my poor addled brain makes a mistake that kinda makes sense. Another opportunity to laugh at myself. Yes, "Zoom" is an excellent example of that word I can never remember. All I know is that I like it!

Jole, I'm glad you got a kick out of my venting. I love living here but in a condo community it's like a big family, all living in close quarters. I'm sure it's confusing for my friends because I do more than most of them even tho I'm sick a lot. I'm also about 10 years younger than most of them. I don't know which is worse, illness or age. People in a community can be catty, caring, helpful, not helpful, rude, loving, etc. all at the same time. Sometimes, I just have to stay to myself so they don't drive me completely nuts o_O. Unfortunately, most people simply do not understand our illnesses. I don't even try to make them understand but if they ask, I'll answer their questions. Then, I just get the confused stares. They understand eye diseases, heart problems, cancer, etc. but they just can't conceive illnesses like ours. No one can unless they've been through it.

Rock, I remember Virginia Graham's show. She didn't strike me as the most sincere person but that may have been her schtick. When I was home with little ones, I watched a lot of daytime talk TV. I especially liked Merv Griffin. He was a really smart guy. It wasn't until Phil Donahue that I was entertained and learned a lot about life and other people. It was a perfect storm of his show and feminism which motivated me to go back to college in case I were ever on my own and had to make a living. Well, my ex was so intimidated by my newfound "independence," which wasn't independent at all, that he figured I was getting ready to leave him so he started womanizing, looking for his next wife. That's his story and he's sticking to it. My getting a part-time job and going to school part time was never a threat; only in his warped mind. It took me years to finally finish my degree but I stuck with it and graduated with my DSIL. But, I digress... Chicken stew--Mmmmm! You lucky guy! I had two breakfasts yesterday so didn't eat anything else much for the rest of the day.

Simon showed up around 5:00, just as I was about to throw the paper down to Ilona. He ate a lot so I'm glad he came by for his breakfast. All in all, I'm feeling good about all the cats now. Tweety and Sylvester are doing great. I get to see them outside but don't have the responsibility which I really don't want or need at this point in my life. My French neighbor downstairs asked if I would come down to take care of her cat, Potet, if they go somewhere. I jumped at the change. Potet is a real love. Or, should I say, "Amour!"

Well, my dear Porchies, it's time for me to go. Have a blessed day.

Love, Mikie
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Rock, geez it must be early out there on the Left Side. Yes, Boho Chic, Khaki Chic, and Shabby Chic just don't go together. Lately, I've been too lazy to get out my jewelry so I just keep putting the same hoops in my ears. I like wearing jewelry but bling doesn't always go with very casual clothing so something ethnic looking or Boho Chic is just the thing to jazz up an outfit. Of course, when I'm working around here, I don't bother. Most women wear 20 percent of their jewelry 80 percent of the time; the 80/20 rule yet again.

Rock, I think you would be a great mod. We've had some who were not able to do a lot but did what they could. Some others had to give it up as their illnesses worsened. With our savvy members reporting spammers, it makes my job sooooo much easier now. I don't troll the boards but I do go to the worship and CFIDS boards.

Well, dear friend, it seems that once again, we were here at the same time, hence, my serial posts. Great minds...

Again, wishing everyone a great day.

Love, Mikie
  9. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

To Darrae: Just to make sure, I sure hope it wasn't my post that made you feel unwelcome.

I read the posts on the porch to find out what all was going on and what Mikie was talking about on the homebound bedbound board, and tried to figure out what went wrong where and if I might have been any part of it.

I noticed that you didn't post anymore after my reply to your post.

And I just want to make sure that you didn't take MY reply to you as the 'those not homebound bedbound are not welcome here'... That for sure has never been my intention at least. I only emphasized on what you already emphasized in your post too, that it is a whole different perspective to look at the world (or weather in this case) from the point of being in bed not able to go out, or from still being able to go to work and having to go through all kinds of weather every day.

Only you know if it was or wasn't my post, I just hope that if I ever say anything that makes anyone feel bad that they let me know, or that someone else who is aware of that lets me know that I might have caused that, or that you report my post to the admins so that they can let me know what post caused that. Honesty and being clear about things only helps to keep the sky clear and to improve on how we communicate in a way that is supportive for everyone. I care as much about everyone on this board as on any other board. I have always felt welcome here, and hope everyone feels welcome on any and every board too.

So whether it was my post or not, I really don't know, but I just want to make sure that in case it WAS, that you know it wasn't meant in the way you interpreted it and I would hate to make someone feel bad in any way at all, that serves noone. And noone deserves that.

Hello to everyone, though I'm not able to keep up with the porch I do wish you all well.
  10. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Dear Soul,

I don't think that you were the one causing the problem , that hurt Dar's or anyone's feelings. I just don't think you are that type of person. When I went onto the housebound and bedbound board I didn't see any evidences of anyone trying to hurt anyone else feelings, at least at that time. W all just have to be careful what we say on these boards. It is easy for others to possibly take things the wrong way, especially if you are feeling badly or worse than normal.

Write now I almost feel like I have the flu but don't think I have the fever. With me and my aches and pain it is hard to tell what one has. Still have the congestion, plus DH is starting too and he is not quiet about his symptoms. I did more walking yesterday so that might be part of the extra symptoms for me.

Just got back from WM and more walking and getting my Armour Thyroid script. After Medicare part D cancelled my Armour Thyroid I did some investigating and fro WM the cheapest for me anyway. I was also surprised at how very much more expensive some of the other pharmacies were without the insurance for AT. Unbelieveable. !!!!

Gotta run for now. Thinking about you and ALL our dear Porchies.

Jole - So glad to hear from you and sorry to hear about your DH's poor hearing. Mine isn't so great either, especially with the ringing in my ears.

Love,
    Granni
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Just stopping in after doing a little housekeeping on the website. Thought I'd drop in while I'm here. Not much to tell as I finally did a bit more ironing and am almost through. One more session. It's hard on my back to iron.

Leah and Soul*, I just added to my sticky post over on the other board and got in the mood to share with everyone what I see out my window. I won't be doing that on a continuing basis, but your posts got me so inspired. It made me stop to better appreciate what I have just outside. I think the threads on Out The Window are wonderful. Reminds me of when my Mom used to tell me about what she enjoyed looking at on the ranch/farm as the seasons changed in NE when she was a child. When I had kids, we would gather at the big window in our house in the foothills of CO and watch the clouds, mountains and sunsets.

Granni, I sure hope you and DH feel better. There is sooooo much congestion going around. I coughed in a crowd in Bealls (into my elbow, of course, just like Elmo showed us :) and told everyone it was just allergies. I didn't want them thinking I was spreading something. One woman who worked in the ER told me that the doc there told her the sizing in new clothing can make a person cough. Learned something new! I don't remember whether I mentioned to y'all that I went online and clicked on Publix's virtual coupons. You put your phone number in at the card slider and if you buy anything you clicked on, it takes off for the virtual coupon. They also had a coupon for it in their paper brochure and I had another one from Target. They accept competitors' coupons. Long story short, I saved $9 on a $15 Nasacort. Woo Hoo! Y'all know how I love those coupons.

I'm sitting in bed writing this as my body is aching all over from the whatever HFV. I've stopped taking the TFs and am not yet back on the AVs. Pulsing these things confuses the viruses and is a more effective way to treat. The afternoons are the worst so I use the mornings to do what I want, or need, to do. Today my bod hurts but not my head (knocking on wood) so that is an improvement. It'll probably take a while pulsing the AVs to drive the tiny terrorists in my body back into their caves. I guess the TFs are my Seal Team :cool: They are verrrrry cool!

BTW, there is a very prolific virus attacking websites. It's a good idea to change you passwords on any critical sites. I just changed my banking password. There is a website, www.LastPass/heartbleed where you can type in any websites you use and it will let you know whether they have patched the hole where the hackers were getting in. I'm going to change my e-mail password even though Yahoo has done the fix. It's possible the hackers got in before the fix. I think we are all sick of having to deal with this.

Have a wonderful evening.

Love, Mikie
  12. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Mikie - For what exactly do you use Nasacort? I haven't looked it up at all but since you mentioned it, I though I would ask. Do you use it every day or what?

Julie - I hope you are dong well and the family hanging in there.. You wear me out just thinking about what do every day. I really need to go take shower and get ready for church tomorrow. I am so achy and hope that I'll be able to get through the holidays coming up also with the congestion I have been having.

Now DH is complaining about some of the same symptoms so now it is more complaining :)!!! How I can get through Holy Week and some company at Easter and all the extra singing - geez !!! Also the Priest have asked the person the like to be the head of music and liturgy department. He lives in the Boston area and will come to see us on Good Friday with his wife. Not sure if he will be there for the whole weekend or not. They have a big decision to make. They are gong to have a special coffee for him .Hope I feel well enough at that time to sing and to be there.. Our small group also has another program on Tuesday of this week. They are so short of sopranos right now I to miss.

Bye for now.

Love,
    Granni
  13. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Hi to everyone, especially Jole! Thanks for the kind words regarding Lindsey. I am trying so hard to help her to be able to help herself...I hope that makes sense. She really does without her Soulmate for long stretches at a time, and it takes a toll on her.

I hear so many different things, and experience so many different feelings/emotions concerning her. People tell me I am "enabling" her and that I have to just let her "sink or swim. Then some of her friends and doctors tell her she has to rest for a certain amount of time each day, etc., etc.

It is hard for me to find that balance between helping her too much and just abandoning her...but her energy level and emotional "sturdiness" vary from day to day (sometimes hour to hour.) I want her to be healthy and happy, and to have a beautiful healthy baby, but I have had to let so much of my stuff/work go to the back burner, in order to help her out.

But I do think she has CFS herself and I know how bad it makes me feel sometimes. I didn't get sick till my girls were a little older (middle school and high school) so it wasn't quite the same. If I needed to "crash", I could go ahead and do it...and not worry about feeding them or changing diapers, etc...

Anyway.....

Den and I had a sort of lunch date today...our local rental center was having an open house. Den does a lot of business with them through his work, so he wanted me to go along and show them some support.

After we got home, I hung out with Lorraine while Lindsey and the twins took a nap. David was working out of town today, so she was on her own again. He does get to be home tomorrow, but leaves again on Monday for another week of training with the Sheriff's dept.

I had something on my mind, so hashed it out with Den before we talked to the kids about it. We really need a fenced in area for the kids to play...we had one for our girls when they were really little and it helped so much. So, we told the kids we would go ahead and buy the fencing, etc. and they could pay us back later.

Ended up that Den and I had a "supper date" too, lol! We went out to eat, then to the building supply store to get the fence, fence posts, etc. Got 150' to make the play area, using the house as one of the sides. Now Den and I just need to get it build...David will be gone and Lindsey has her hands full already.

The fence is really as much for me as it is for everyone else...anytime Lindsey has the kids out by herself, they run to our house anyway. If they are in their play area, we can mow or work on our house, etc. without worrying about them taking off...but can still keep an eye on them. And whoever the adult is that is with them can relax a bit, instead of constantly chasing three different ways...well, two ways, with the twins...Lorraine is pretty good, as long as we can see her.

Just gives us all peace of mind and keeps those little ones safe...that is for sure a priority...

I will just say a big "Hi" to everyone and hope you all are doing okay. Den's dad has a doctor appt. and wants to run errands and eat out for lunch on Monday, so that will be another tiring day...but good to get to spend time with him.
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Granni, I used to get sinusitis this time of year when I lived in CO. Nasacort has a steroid in it to open up the sinus areas and stop infection/inflammation. I so seldom have that down here. I use non-steroidal OTC nose sprays when I have headaches and they help. I only use the Nasacort when my sinuses are soooo stuffy that I can't clear them out with the normal saline or the other sprays. It used to be an Rx with an expensive co-pay. Now, it's only $15 for a 60-spray bottle. With my coupons, I got it for $6. You only use two sprays in each nostril in 24 hrs. Steroids are not good for people on the peptides so I use this stuff sparingly, but it's great to have around when I need it. My stepdad was the choir director waaaaay back when he was a younger man. I don't know how he found the time with a thriving medical practice. A composer in the church dedicated a musical piece for a Mass to him. He was such a multi-talented person. I have a pic of him and a pic of Mom on my dresser alongside her ashes. I kiss my fingertips and touch their pics every night and thank them for everything and for watching out for my family from Heaven and for praying for us. I pray for them that God holds them in the palm of His hand.

Julie, I think others' input in how you help your family are not important. Inside yourself, you know instinctively how you feel and what you want to do. You also know your own kids. Just do what feels right to you. That's all! Our families don't come with instruction books so we have to rely on our own instincts which are actually the best guide of all. You are such a loving and caring person that everything you do will have ripples you can't even imagine in these kids' lives.

I just read Cort's newsletter, Health Rising. ProHealth advertises in the newsletter. The newsletter itself is filled with great articles, just as PH's is. One such article is on the use of Qigong for healing. I've always believed in using meditation, chakras and visualization for healing and have been helped so much with them. Even if all one does is take time to sit quietly and just focus on breathing, it is so relaxing that it is healing. How much relaxing do we actually do in our lives. Just having CFIDS/FMS/ME means living in a rigid state of anxiety and pain. I believe it is vital to our health to learn to relax.

As most of y'all realize, I've posted about being in a mini-crisis spiritually and emotionally. I've felt the tuggings inside me that all is not well. I just opened myself up to letting whatever is wrong expose itself to me. It is what I knew intellectually all along but could not accept emotionally until now. Some of my friends and neighbors in the hood, whom I love like family, are hurting me by my being with them. There is gossip and backstabbing going on. The main focus of their lives is what everyone else is doing and digging in everyone else's business. Loving others means caring if they need something but this is often meanspirited. Sometimes, there is even joy at someone's "getting what they deserve." The other main focus is eating. Not everyone engages in everything I've mentioned but it's bad enough that it's finally eaten into my soul. The last thing, which may be the worst for me, is that these people love to argue and "be right." It's almost impossible for people to mention anything without someone's telling them, "You are wrong!" That's not fostering a loving atmosphere. Dr. Wayne Dyer says, "If you have to choose between being right and being kind, choose being kind."

The other side of these people is that they will do anything to help neighbors when needed. They can be very caring but the caring is often being done alongside the negative energy they put out. If I am to survive and like myself, I have to separate myself from this. I have actually already been doing this because I've not felt well enough to join in activities and, by activities, I mean sitting on the Balcony watching the other neighbors. I will still see my neighbors, of course, but I will severely limit the time. I am going to be spending a lot of time on myself, using meditation and prayer to strengthen myself. I feel sapped by all the negativity. I know it's not up to me to try to change these people's negativity; it's up to me to change how I respond.

Thanks for letting me vent here and use all your kind patience while I've worked this all out. Cort's newsletter had some excellent Qigong practices, including two beautiful visualizations which I printed out for myself. Rock, does Gordon use the five elements in Chinese Cooking or in other areas of your lives? I use them in Feng Shui but never heard of them in cooking.

Well, think I'll take my tattered spirit and start working on myself. I probably need to get back to working on my tattered old bod too. While I've had this HFV, I've slowed down but am feeling better now. I hope all y'all are feeling well. Take some time each day by yourselves just to relax and see if it doesn't help. Over on the Housebound and Bedridden forum, they have an ongoing series, like our Porch, but it's what they see outside their windows. It's amazing how relaxing, and exhilarating at the same time, it can be just to observe and note the sometimes subtle changes out in nature. By sharing what they observe, they enrich everyone's lives. Again, I say, "We have the best, most generous and kind members here."

Love, Mikie
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  15. sunflowergirl

Julie: great idea about the fence. It will help both you and Lindsey. It's just plain hard to have to run after little ones constantly. I hope she's got the napping down to a "science" where she also can lay down. And I'm assuming she has a baby monitor? Even now I use it when the kids come over to sleep. My mom has been gone almost 7 years and I remember using it with her, so I could rest but still hear if she needed help.

Mikie: negative people are a REAL DRAIN on oneself, and I think we know intuitively how to disconnect from them. I hope these negative ones aren't the ones you're closest to in the hood.

My DH is not doing good. He's not eating because of terrible gas, which he can't get rid of. I'm going to call his oncologist on monday. I told him not to take his pills last night, gave him a charcoal tablet to kinda "clear things out". Personally I would tell the doctor NO on the pills he's been given. This is not a life that's good when you're in constant agony. And I'm finding I'm consumed with his pain and suffering........same thing happened when my mom was still alive. I kinda put myself on the back burner and I know that's not good for me.
  16. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Good morning, Mikie and Sun, and anyone else who is popping in :) We are having a doozy of a thunderstorm right now...and 90% chance of more in the forcast until mid-morning tomorrow. Guess Gpa Den and I won't be building any kid fence today :oops:

Since David usually works Sundays, but has it off today due to being at training all week, they were looking forward to going to church as a family. But Lorraine's respiratory stuff is worse (since last night) and Liora screamed in pain most of the night (Lindsey can't figure out why) so they are all staying home. I offered to watch whoever couldn't go, but they want to keep today as a family day and be together, no matter where they are. I was glad to hear that, but sorry their plans didn't work out.

It seems the storms affect so many things...people, animals...I'm surprised I didn't hurt like crazy last night, but I think I fell asleep right away. Den must be catching up from his busy week (several projects that required a lot of physical work)...he is still in bed and it's after 9:00. I have been up about an hour and being very quiet, figuring if he woke up he would feel like he had to get up. But I just heard him in the bathroom, then he must have gone back to bed...even grandpas need to recharge sometimes...:cool:

Mikie, I'm sorry you are having to put up with so much negative energy...wonder if many of the others in the hood are just bored and dissatisfied with their lives to the point of having to start arguments and other things that cause friction, just to have something to do.

Then there's you...upbeat, caring, friendly, doing lots of projects when you are able...and that just doesn't "mesh" with the atmosphere there o_O I think you will still be an inspiration to many of them, whenever they are in the right frame of mind. But I agree, a person sometimes needs to separate themselves from people/things that drain them.

Sun, I think you are so right to call your hubby's oncologist...something must not be working just right for him...maybe there is a different pill for whatever this one does...that won't cause the painful side effects.

Definitely not good to put yourself on the back burner...I'm not the one to give you good advice on that, of course...but I just know (in my mind, even if I don't always put it in practice) that we do need to take care of ourselves...

Well, I just heard Den and think he might be getting up for good...will get off here and maybe tackle the mountains of dirty dishes that I have been letting go.
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Guys,

Sunflower Girl, I agree with Julie. I'd call the doc too. With severe illnesses, the treatments can cause such horrible side effects but one also has to consider the quality of life. Usually, there are other, or additional, things which can be done to make patients more comfortable. Your quality of life is just as important if not more so. DH needs help and if you don't take care of yourself first, you will be no good to yourself or him. May God bless and keep you. You are in my prayers.

Julie, I also agree with Sunflower Girl (and you). A fenced-in play area should appeal to the little ones if it's a fun place to be. My area wasn't fenced in but when the girls were a bit older, we had sand trucked in and a jungle gym and swing set put in there. They could play anywhere so no need for a sandbox. It was so much fun, they didn't want to leave nor did all the other kids from the hood who came to our yard because it was the "fun yard." Oh, the Popsicles, Kool Aid, and snacks I went through. Of course, I fixed healthy meals to counter the junk.

I went to the pool before 10:00 and the "horrible family" arrived shortly after I did. They have two small girls and an older one. They have been making a lot of noise with the kids constantly screaming and shrieking all day. When they little ones climbed on the rope across the pool, I told the Mom that we weren't allowed to hang on the rope as it eventually causes the rings on the side to work loose and we had to spend a lot to fix it. She didn't reply to me but told the girls not to hang on them. I said, "I'm sorry but it's an expensive repair." She said, "I'm sure it is!" Then, it came to me. This is the woman who refused to get her family out of the pool after dark last year because she said the swimming lesson wasn't finished. I had to tell her it was the law and they had to leave. She must have remembered me. One of her kids started to scream and she actually told her to stop it or she would have to get out of the pool. I hadn't said anything about how noisy they were but I'll bet someone else did. Parents like these must have to go through life with others telling them what to do because they don't have common sense to do what needs to be done. This woman obviously has anger issues toward rules and those who enforce them and this is the lesson the kids are learning. Thing is that I'm always so nice when I say anything to anyone, apologetic even. Sheeeesh! :mad:

Before I went, I had decided that nothing is worth getting my panties in a wad so this didn't phase me and I felt calm through it all. It wasn't ugly but it certainly wasn't friendly either. These people are obviously family or friends of someone who lives here. We are friendly and helpful people and if she were nicer, their stay would be even nicer. People here are mostly nice. What has gotten to me is the underbelly of the beast which goes on among people who have known one another a long time. In any case, once I came home, I tried out one of the Qugong visualizations with some slight changes personalized just for me. Wow! It left me feeling soooooo relaxed. These visualizations are so mystical and beautiful and can be done by anyone. There is nothing in them which would interfere with anyone's religion. I feel as though everything is going to be OK because God has me in the palm of His hand and I'm safe and loved.

My wish is that all y'all feel the same peace.

Love, Mikie
  18. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Geez all you gals, I agree with everything you have all been talking about. You are all so smart :)!!!! To lazy to menton everyone's name and really shouldn't stay on here to long. I have some cards I need to write to get ready to send and handout.

I could just go on and on what MIKIE, SUN AND JULIE were talking about. Yes Mikie, some people absolutely have no common sense whatsoever. Unfortunatley you cannot get away from those type of people and most likely they aren't going to change either. Do you listen to CD's for your meditation? I am glad it is helpful for you and am sure it would be for all. Just continue to be as sweet as you always are and if they don't change you have done as much as you can. Thanks for the info on Nasocort. I need to stay away from cortisone as much as possible with my bone density problem, even though it seems to have gotten somewhat better,

Julie - Your idea of getting the fence is just perfect. I think we have almost always had one when the kids were very small. No one or even two people can know what 3 or 4 little ones are going to do or go where there whims and will s take them. They don't think, they just GO GO GO !!! Glad you got to have a date with Den, twice I one day yet, even if par of it had to do with getting fencing materials.

Sun - I also agree with and others here about you calling your DH's oncologist. Maybe he can either suggest something or change the med. he is on. Hope he will have an idea of what else could help him and hot hurt him so much. It is bad enough he has problems eating. Ask or the doc if he can try Boost, Ensure or something like that. It might at least help him keep some weight on, if they are not to sweet and make him nauseous.. Thinking about you and can't imagine having someone so close suffer so badly with cancer treatments, and I am guessing this is probably one of the least troublesome ones since it is the pill and not IV.. However, everyone reacts differently to different treatments.

Have to a few more things around here so I will sign off for now. The thoughts of such a busy week coming up plus Easter dinner and we are having some company, is already wearing me out. Wish I could get rid of this junk in my nose and throat. It is supposed to rain here later today or tonight. Hope we get so to clear out some or all the pollen around here - awful !! Every time they promise rain, it seems like we get little or none ):!!

Lots of LOVE to ALL,
    Granni :)
  19. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

Julie, I would have given an eye tooth to have my mom in the same TOWN all the years I was raising my one child alone....my life certainly did NOT unfold as I planned it would many many years ago. But 3000 miles between us kept us far apart thru all my trials and tribulations and I know she missed a lot....but that's life and we are all unique on our paths. Keep doing what you do and TAKE CARE OF YOU....I know you've heard that from many but I'll mention it too....you know that. jam

I just took my daily walk to the alley with trash and saw my YOUNG neighbor who is a surfer and he was loading up his board to go to the beach and get on the water, he's 43 or so, not married, and a great guy, and his father often surfs with him and he said today his father went up to The Ranch area in Santa Barbara for a surfing experience at a special spot....so I asked him, how old is your dad and he said 79.....amazing this man is so mobile and active on the surfboard......his wife thou deals with RA and a nasty hip replacement like yours truly.....All kinds for sure.

Sun, hope your husband wins the battle. I know you are not into any alternatives for this but on health boards I've been on for years, cancer alternative treatments include baking soda protocols...and the Budwig protocol.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  20. sunflowergirl

Jam: don't know anything about baking soda or the other cancer treatment but I'll certainly read up. I did a ton of reading about cannabis oil yesterday. My DH is VERY conservative......me....I'm a bit more daring and what I've read it sounds very good though you have to be off the chemo otherwise you're really sick.

1. I did call the clinic and talked to the internist on duty. He told me to stop the chemo pills until we talked to the oncologist and he also told me to get prilosec for the gas......said comparing it to GasX was like comparing kindergarten to HS. Also told me to get some gatoraid to add things back into his body. I read it....it's lots of sugar which isn't good but I guess since he's badly dehydrated this will help.