THE PORCHLIGHT VOLUME 698 IS CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Apr 11, 2014.

1. jole

jole Member

Sun, I remember when my mother had cancer, and how hard it was on her. As much as we can guide and make suggestions, the ultimate decisions on their treatments and care comes down to them. She chose to stop the chemo after the first treatment because the cancer had already metastacized. The doc said the chemo wouldn't do anything for the cancer, but would help with the pain, and it did do that. It's all so amazing how things affect people differently. I'm sure you're in a fog right now...I remember that also, and the feeling of helplessness is probably the worst! Prayers are with you and your hubby, and hope he's feeling better soon. Keep the faith.....

Jam, I would have loved having a mother next door when my kids were small too.....but back then even if ours would have been, it wasn't the same as today. When we were married, we were shoved out the door and into life on our own. I remember my parents saying the old 'you made your bed, now you lie in it'...lol. I do remember mom loading up their vehicle with baked goods the few times they came to visit though......food was her way of showing love.

Julie, I hope those little ones get better soon. They go from well to sick so quickly, and you're right, this weather is certainly not helping. We also had snow last night after it being 92 a few days ago! Crazy!

Mikie, glad you got your swim in. Does chlorine bother you? Since I react so badly to it, I wondered if maybe that's why you seem to feel worse after your water work-outs.

Rock, I tried looking up some of the books on my Kindle to order, but the ones you guys mentioned on the other thread were so expensive I can't get them. A library nearby would be wonderful, but I can't seem to find any in this farm country...lol. And I don't get off the farm often enough to do anything but groceries and back home :(

Granni, I'm ashamed to say I didn't even realize Easter is this weekend! No wonder our kids have been 'hinting' about Easter plans. I really do miss not being able to go to church anymore, and every day seems the same to me. No plans here, although I think I'll check with my kids so I'm not totally suprised if any of them should show up. We do every other Holiday here, and since we had Christmas I think I'm safe....lol. Good luck with your busy schedule!

Hello to all I missed this round...
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Sunflower Girl, one of the things I love about our caring and generous members is all the help and advice offered when one of us has a problem. I'll bet you can find some things which DH can tolerate and which will help him. I was actually drinking too much water at one setting and it caused my overly full bladder to go into spastic mode. Then, it wouldn't empty or it wouldn't empty completely. Now, I drink a bit less and space it out. All that misery and money spent to find out I'm overdoing the water. Oy! :eek: What I've discovered is that one person in here is being rude because she is tired of being here and wants to go home. Her negativity is rubbing off on the rest of us. We've compared notes and decided to just leave her alone. We are back to our usual harmonious selves with this one exception. We've learned a valuable lesson--not to let one negative individual turn us into people we don't want to be and people we don't like. I was starting to strongly dislike myself. I think this is what was cathartic to me. Some of us are going for a Chinese buffet tomorrow after the condo mtg. I'm wearing my new Boho Chic necklace and bracelet. This is the first time in a long time I've looked forward to having a good time with my friends and even bothering to make myself look decent. Needless to say, the offensive woman isn't going with us, by her own choice; she was invited.

Jole, so good to see you here. Yes, chlorine does bother me if I put my head in it but with the aerobics in the shallow end, I don't dunk. I do love swimming laps but lately, it has caused my knees to ache if I swim laps. My DD has the same problem. So, I use the pool as a convenient way to get my heart rate up without stress on my joints. Don't know what skating will do but I'll likely only skate a couple of times a month. I'm like you; if I'm not paying extra attention, holidays pass and I'm not aware of it. Use to be I made a big deal out of it when the kids were around and even after that but now, I just don't feel like it. I did put my Easter Egg wreath on my front door. I also put a cute little Easter Basket outside on the Balcony on one of the little tables.

Diane, Smart Water tastes like the best plain water you have ever had, even though it contains the electrolytes. I love it. Costco has it cheaper and when they put it on sale, it's really reasonable. I'm sure you could add whatever you want to it to make a tasty drink. In your shopping online, have you ever encountered Bethlehem Lights? They are flameless candles, wreaths and floral arrangements with timers and battery operated? They cost an arm and a leg. I found a website, Zulily, which has all kinds of clothing, including children's, and home goods at greatly marked down prices. I ordered a lovely clear vase with Calla Lilies which are lighted. They retail for $60 and were sold on one of the shopping websites for $50. I ordered one in pink from Zulily for $20. I'm a sucker for things which light up. :rolleyes:

Julie, I am better but fear my brain fog is lingering behind my physical healing. I hope you are getting more rest than that. Strange thing--I slept soooooo much better last night. When I woke up, I found my heart pill, my Kozaar, lying in my bed. It must have slipped out of my hand when I was tossing my bedtime meds into my mouth. Doc says I don't need to take it at bedtime so will try taking it mid-day to see whether I can sleep better. I hope and pray everyone is better.

Granni, I think of you when I go outside in the mornings for coffee on the Balcony. We have a choir of mockingbirds who serenade us with lovely songs. Mockingbirds must be the choirs of the bird world. This morning, however, our peace was disrupted by the gardeners' removing our diseased Queen Palm tree. It had to go, along with the large root ball. They put things back and I tweaked the pots of plants a wee bit. I may have to do more later. Music, in all its forms, even from the birds, is God's gift to the world. How wonderful that you share that gift with others.

I mentioned Zulily above. I also found something so incredible that I had to get it. I had talked about the peaceful lake and full moon meditation/visualization I now use. Zulily's had a pillow with almost the exact lake and full moon I visualized except that it also has curly clouds, a castle on the hill and a small ship. It is probably for a child but, since I seem to be going through my second childhood ,or 3rd, or 4th :confused:, it seemed appropriate that I should buy it for myself. Serendipitous things like this often happen to me when I'm in the middle of a spiritual evolution. I believe in surrounding myself with things which are meaningful and whimsical. They raise my emotional state. I told Barb that if she ever sees me getting riled up to just tell me to "go to the lake." I find I can do that now at a moment's notice and chill out.

Well, kids, y'all are probably used to my "W&P" posts and I hope I'm not boring y'all. I enjoy reading everyone's posts. Keep 'em coming!

Love, Mikie
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Diane - Good to see or should I say hear from you. I will try and keep some of your choices I mind. I know that I need to drink a lot more than I do. Lots of very good ideas. I have heard about Smart Water Does anyone know if WM has them?

Mikie - Sounds like you are doing better. Great idea to stay away from that trouble making person. They are everywhere and can cause havoc to what used to be a very harmonious gathering, Enjoy that Chinese buffet. I sounds like FUN and yummy !!!! What the heck is W and P. I will probably kick myself when you tell me.

I found that I had or have a slight low grade fever so I cancelled at least tomorrow singing with the small group. I just hope I get rid of the fever before this weekend and possibly Thursday - Sat. our Holy Week services. W are supposed to have a small gathering at or house on Easter. Hope it is gone by then or before.

Have to go finish dinner. I is already done in the crockpot but will have potatoes salad and coleslaw too that we bought.

Hope to talk to you all tomorrow.

Love,
    Granni
  4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

PLEASE DO NOT POST HERE !!! It's all filled up and now we go to the next volume. OMG, it going to fast ! See you on the other side..

Luv,
    Granni